What do you want to see most in Mario Kart U?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Conjuration (3538 posts) -

For the next instalment of Mario Kart, what is your wish list for new features you'd like to see?

For myself I'd like to see the ability to do the Grand Prix in multiplayer. That would make going for the unlocks a lot more fun.

And this is kind of vague, but I'd just like to see a slightly easier method of unlocking the racers. Some of us will likely never get 16 expert ghost data, or play 3,500 races to get some of those characters.

Other than that I just hope the rumours of the track editor are true, and maybe get rid of the blue shell.

#2 Edited by jcrame10 (122 posts) -

a closer release date :D

#3 Edited by trugs26 (5238 posts) -

Given the new anti-gravity stuff, I hope for the first time that you can actually go up walls and ramps in a way that gravitationally makes sense. I dislike how I go us a natural half-pipe looking object, only for the game to unrealistically pull me down to the surface. I want to jump over random things and more freedom in this regard.

With the blue shell, I like it for fun party gaming reasons, as well as giving everyone a shot no matter your placing. I think the best solution is to limit it to the first 2 laps. On the last lap, disable blue shells. That way there is no annoying "First the entire race, gets hit by blue shell at the finish line" incident.

#4 Posted by Conjuration (3538 posts) -
#5 Edited by sonic_spark (4596 posts) -

I want to be able to select one track at a time in Versus against computer. This feature was taken out of Mario Kart 7 3DS, and that sucked. So for me to practice against computer in Rainbow Road, a full grand prix, I have to do the full cup instead of just that one race.

#6 Edited by wonder6192 (33 posts) -

lag free online is the most important thing for it to have.

#7 Posted by Aquat1cF1sh (10856 posts) -

Some really, really good courses.

#8 Edited by JordanElek (17729 posts) -

More single player variety. Sonic and All Stars Racing set a new standard for the genre in that regard. Grand Prix is fun, but Nintendo is capable of so much more than that.

#9 Edited by KBFloYd (12947 posts) -

@Conjuration said:

For the next instalment of Mario Kart, what is your wish list for new features you'd like to see?

For myself I'd like to see the ability to do the Grand Prix in multiplayer. That would make going for the unlocks a lot more fun.

And this is kind of vague, but I'd just like to see a slightly easier method of unlocking the racers. Some of us will likely never get 16 expert ghost data, or play 3,500 races to get some of those characters.

Other than that I just hope the rumours of the track editor are true, and maybe get rid of the blue shell.

playing the gp online would be awesome...doubt it would happen

what i want:

in battle mode give me a choice to play balloon only... i dont like coin runners...dont force it on me.

i hope in battle mode you can see all the players on the wiiu gamepad...like how it is on mk7 on 3ds..

limit the blue shell.....i dont want to see it in every damn race....mk7 is already much better ..at least keep it like that.

also...i was thinking online multiplayer should have less players in each match...12 is too much imo....way too chaotic...should be 10 or 8 imo..

take wheelies out of the bikes.....it makes karts suck more.

#10 Edited by nini200 (9480 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

what i want:

in battle mode give me a choice to play balloon only... i dont like coin runners...dont force it on me.

i hope in battle mode you can see all the players on the wiiu gamepad...like how it is on mk7 on 3ds..

limit the blue shell.....i dont want to see it in every damn race....mk7 is already much better ..at least keep it like that.

also...i was thinking online multiplayer should have less players in each match...12 is too much imo....way too chaotic...should be 10 or 8 imo..

take wheelies out of the bikes.....it makes karts suck more.

I agree with some of your ideas but In Battle mode, seeing all the players on the WiiU gamepad would be cheating for the gamepad player. What if you're playing against 3 other players that have to use the other controllers? There's no screen for them to see the players on (Which is one reason the WiiU should have LAUNCHED with the ability for multi-gamepad use).

In online solo, this would be fine as everybody has a gamepad and even if they don't use it, it still can show the players but ONLY in single player, this would not work multiplayer.

I sooooo agree with you about the wheelies. I was forced to use a bike on MKWii because the bikes and their miniboost wheelies gave them a big advantage over the karts. Either take them out, or make them not give any boost.

#11 Edited by KBFloYd (12947 posts) -

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

what i want:

in battle mode give me a choice to play balloon only... i dont like coin runners...dont force it on me.

i hope in battle mode you can see all the players on the wiiu gamepad...like how it is on mk7 on 3ds..

limit the blue shell.....i dont want to see it in every damn race....mk7 is already much better ..at least keep it like that.

also...i was thinking online multiplayer should have less players in each match...12 is too much imo....way too chaotic...should be 10 or 8 imo..

take wheelies out of the bikes.....it makes karts suck more.

I agree with some of your ideas but In Battle mode, seeing all the players on the WiiU gamepad would be cheating for the gamepad player. What if you're playing against 3 other players that have to use the other controllers? There's no screen for them to see the players on (Which is one reason the WiiU should have LAUNCHED with the ability for multi-gamepad use).

In online solo, this would be fine as everybody has a gamepad and even if they don't use it, it still can show the players but ONLY in single player, this would not work multiplayer.

I sooooo agree with you about the wheelies. I was forced to use a bike on MKWii because the bikes and their miniboost wheelies gave them a big advantage over the karts. Either take them out, or make them not give any boost.

good points nini.

yea i just meant for online with the gamepad showing players...

in mario kart 64 when you played battle it was splitscreen...so everyone could see what everyone was doing.... i miss that in battle from mario kart wii. at least in mario kart 7 (not sure about ds) you get the map that shows the players on the bottom screen. i like that..its closer to what splitscreen used to be.

#12 Posted by Randolph (10429 posts) -

Get rid of the blue shell. It's intended to help everyone have a reason to stay in the race until the end, because it gives them a chance to win. It never does that. It only gives poor players the chance to spoil the race for much better players. Their are winners and losers in competitive gaming, if people don't want to lose, they can suck it up and get better… or go away. That damn thing ruined the last few games for me, which is sad. I look back on Mario Kart on SNES very fondly as an incredibly nostalgic part of my youth.

#13 Posted by Bigboi500 (29177 posts) -

More tracks.

#14 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1308 posts) -

@Randolph: Uhg, stop whining about the Blue Shell. If you were to win every single damn race over and over and over again that would be boring. you don't need to win every race. MK is about having fun with people. Keep you MLG crap out of it.

#15 Edited by Randolph (10429 posts) -

@Master_Of_Fools said:

@Randolph: Uhg, stop whining about the Blue Shell. If you were to win every single damn race over and over and over again that would be boring. you don't need to win every race. MK is about having fun with people. Keep you MLG crap out of it.

No.

Mario Kart also has a single player component, and the Blue Shell does a lot to compromise it because the AI goes absolutely insane with it on anything over 50cc. I'm the absolute farthest from an "MLG" guy their is. But I do feel that the better players should be the one who wins. If someone gets their feelings hurt by that, well, thats just life. In life, their are winners and losers. Winners shouldn't be made to feel bad for being good at the game, and losers shouldn't be coddled.

If it's really all about just having fun with other people, then people wouldn't mind not winning, and wouldn't demand things like the blue shell. You don't see me demanding a blue shell for Killer Instinct so I can have a reason to stay in there until the end even if I'm losing, so that I might have a chance at winning despite being the obviously less skilled player. I stick through to the end because even if I am losing my tenth match in a row, and losing badly, I agreed to the match and I need to see it through.

The fact that the people who make these games ever felt the need to make the blue shell to keep people from dropping out halfway through the race in the first place shows quite clearly that those people do, in fact, care more about winning than "just having fun with people".

#16 Edited by superbuuman (2626 posts) -

Get rid of blue shell, that's all.

#17 Posted by 19James89 (29 posts) -

I'd like to see eight competitions as per usual but with 32 brand new tracks, no rehashed tracks from old games like what was given to us in Mario Kart 7. That would be fantastic and will show that there is still plenty of life left in the franchise.

#18 Posted by Bigboi500 (29177 posts) -

I really don't see the problem with the blue shell. I mean I can get hit with it multiple times in a match and still win most of the time. Usually you can slow down right before it hits and take out whoever is behind you, and then recover before the rest of the pack catches up to you. If you get rid of it, you'd basically have to get rid of the other powers as well because as it is, the game is an arcade racer, not a simulation.

There are many other factors that contribute to winning and losing, and the rules apply to everyone The players know what they're in for, and there are plenty of other racing games that don't have crazy power-ups, and the unknown factor of the chaos is part of its charm.

#19 Posted by superbuuman (2626 posts) -

^ other power-ups are fine...blue shell not needed.

#20 Posted by starwolf474 (503 posts) -

The only thing that I request is that they bring back free-for-all balloon battle. Being forced to play on teams ruined the battle mode in Mario Kart Wii.

#21 Posted by Litchie (16212 posts) -

I'd like them to make battle modes fun again. I'd like them to make bikes not being better than karts. I'd like them to make you able to race only one track if you'd want to. You know, the things that make sense. When they take away things the game before had and did awesome-ly, I can't help but wonder what the **** Nintendo were thinking.

#22 Posted by Pierst179 (10721 posts) -

A track editor would be a dream come true.

#23 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1308 posts) -

@Randolph: If you win or if you lose it shouldn't really matter. its all just data and pixels your controlling. You win you say YES I WIN! You lose you say oh well I'll get you next time. As for the Single Player...there is no motivation to winning. There is no rush you will have the game for the entire Generation to beat the game. Yes when a blue shell gets you right at the end your like NOOOOO curse you!!! But its nothing to flip out over.

#24 Posted by Randolph (10429 posts) -

@Randolph: If you win or if you lose it shouldn't really matter. its all just data and pixels your controlling. You win you say YES I WIN! You lose you say oh well I'll get you next time. As for the Single Player...there is no motivation to winning. There is no rush you will have the game for the entire Generation to beat the game. Yes when a blue shell gets you right at the end your like NOOOOO curse you!!! But its nothing to flip out over.

The fact that the blue shell is in the game shows quite clearly that people do care whether they win or lose. It doesn't make me "flip out" either, it just makes me feel cheated, and makes me not play the series. Which sucks, I used to really enjoy Mario kart back in the day. When MK8 was announced everyone asked "is the blue shell in it", and they said yes, and my reaction was simply "Oh well, pass". I'll make my case for why it's a bad thing, and why it doesn't even really fill it's original intended purpose, but it doesn't make me "flip out" or lose my cool.

It would if I was still trying to play the games anyway, but as I mentioned already, I wrote off this game the second that question was answered. I know when to say quit and realize a game is just not being made with someone like me in mind.

#25 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1308 posts) -

@Randolph: Okay then. Don't get the game. Have a nice life yada yada yada.

#26 Edited by 4myAmuzumament (1746 posts) -

single player vs races against computers. you should have to do a GP or race a single ghost to try out one course.

#27 Posted by Ovirew (6277 posts) -

I always kind of thought it would be cool if each character had a unique ability they could charge up and use during the race. Maybe by trading '?' prizes you obtain and sacrificing them with the press of a button, it could help fill a meter - the better the prize, the more it helps fill the meter. So if you get a banana, only fills a little bit, but if you get three red shells or something it would fill a big chunk of the meter. And then when it's full, Mario can hammer-smash the car ahead of him and take it out of the race for a few crucial seconds, and Luigi can Poltergust the cars ahead of him to make them spin out - stuff like that. It would help differentiate between characters more.