What do you want to see in Zelda U?

#1 Posted by Kusimeka (94 posts) -

With a Zelda announcement just round the corner (hopefully) i was wondering what Zelda fans wanted from the new version. Personally, i just want the difficulty raised a bit. I'm not happy with breezing through the recent games. I guess the ideal method to keep everyone happy would to add a hero mode from the start, like in Wind Waker HD, and/or puzzle difficulty levels like in Silent Hill. Though i really doubt they will do that so i will be interested on how they approach it.

#2 Edited by Chozofication (2762 posts) -

I want it to shake it up a lot, and get rid of all the insane annoyances like seeing the same item pickup animations over and over and the annoying partners. Also, I think they're overusing the puzzle jingles.

I also would like it to be a *bit* more difficult.

All I can say for sure is that it won't be a toon Zelda like Wind Waker.

#3 Edited by Aquat1cF1sh (10863 posts) -

More of a challenge and an exotic overworld (like Wind Waker or Skyward Sword).

#4 Edited by Master_Of_Fools (1320 posts) -

Well with that rumored idea of Dungeons taking hours to complete lol, that might make it more "difficult" for you. Though the reason for a bit lower difficulty is to encourage new people who haven't played the games before, I agree a slight boost in difficulty would be nice, although I usually have trouble with a few bosses. Ghirahim was a pain a few times lol. As for me, I want Navi back, I want the Hover Boots back, as well as the Lens Of Truth, Imagine it as the gamepad, moving around the games moves around the Lens Of Truth...other then that I don't want much.

#5 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

Local co-op..... And please... No more RPG Elements.

#6 Edited by tocool340 (20487 posts) -

I've been thinking lately that perhaps it time to move Zelda into an actual heavy story based saga, keeping all the zelda elements like dungeons and puzzle solving, but making an actual fulfilled story that really explains everything that happen in the Zelda world in great detail. It seems like in every Zelda game, there's always something in the story that's never fully brought into the light. For example, in Majora Mask, they keep hinting on the background of the Ikana and Garos but never truly go into detail about their history. In Ocarina of Time, in the Shadow Temple, the walls kept mentioning the corruption of Hyrules history but never fully elaborated on it nor the war that took place. Hell even Ganondorf in Twilight Princess mentions it before he dies (Which makes me wonder if Hyrules shady history has more to do with how he turns out other than what may be Demise influence), though Twilight Princess did open up about its history a bit but still felt like key information was missed.

So for the next Zelda, I'd like an open world similar to Twilight Princess with maybe a few Skyward Sword overworld dungeon elements put in, an actual livelier populated world instead of a handful of unmemorable people here and there, a less of a nanny follower, maybe a blacksmith that can create and customize weapons, and a story that actualyl ties up loose ends in the zelda world instead of opening up many more. Hell, I'm even down for a 3 part epic so long as its done right. Just make sure its a full fledge game, and not give off that Golden Sun Dark Dawn feel where the game doesn't feel as big and long than it actually was. I think the word I'm looking for is underwhelming adventure...

#7 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

Local co-op..... And please... No more RPG Elements.

Funny...I never thought of Zelda as having RPG elements.

As for me I would like to see them try something different, in the way Majoras Mask was different, just something to shake up the formula a bit.

#8 Posted by Sphensen (735 posts) -

a four swords type online mutiplayer

#9 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@mattykovax

Its the tiny things like weapon upgrades

#10 Posted by Chozofication (2762 posts) -
#11 Posted by FFCYAN (4925 posts) -

Maybe a re-imagined side-scrolling Zelda that uses all 2-D artwork via Zelda II and a heavy emphasis on action, with massive dungeons that scale in and out to help solve puzzles and frame massive bosses, That would be sweet!

I'd rather not see a story driven Zelda. I prefer my Nintendo games with actual gameplay.

#12 Edited by 4myAmuzumament (1748 posts) -

Less repetition

#13 Edited by juboner (399 posts) -

Hero mode from the start, more secret locations, more involvement in world or towns with the NFC's with lots of meaningful side quest, harder puzzles, of course less hand holding or give me an option to play without it, different type of swords, get rid of some of the old items maybe like the boomerang.

Aonuma already stated that he looked at Skyrim for his ideas, so hopefully it will have a big world with lots of side quest and lots of NFC interaction outside of the main quest. I enjoyed SS but I felt like if there was more too do outside of main quest it would give me other things to do when it started to feel repetitive with the dungeons, mix up the pacing.

#14 Posted by sonic_spark (4599 posts) -

1. I want to see a graphically technical showcase.

2. The artstyle, or along the same lines, as the E3 tech demo.

3. A difficulty option.

#15 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2563 posts) -

A release date. :p

#16 Edited by starwolf474 (552 posts) -

1. The same art style that they showed in the E3 demo. Don't pull another Wind Waker on us and change the art style to something completely different after getting us hyped in that demo.

2. A dark atmosphere

3. Different difficulty levels

4. Don't add tedious padding just to make it longer. I don't need a 50 hour Zelda game filled with padding. I prefer a 20 to 30 hour game like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask that is fun the whole way through.

#17 Edited by ANIMEguy10034 (4702 posts) -

I've been thinking lately that perhaps it time to move Zelda into an actual heavy story based saga, keeping all the zelda elements like dungeons and puzzle solving, but making an actual fulfilled story that really explains everything that happen in the Zelda world in great detail. It seems like in every Zelda game, there's always something in the story that's never fully brought into the light. For example, in Majora Mask, they keep hinting on the background of the Ikana and Garos but never truly go into detail about their history. In Ocarina of Time, in the Shadow Temple, the walls kept mentioning the corruption of Hyrules history but never fully elaborated on it nor the war that took place. Hell even Ganondorf in Twilight Princess mentions it before he dies (Which makes me wonder if Hyrules shady history has more to do with how he turns out other than what may be Demise influence), though Twilight Princess did open up about its history a bit but still felt like key information was missed.

So for the next Zelda, I'd like an open world similar to Twilight Princess with maybe a few Skyward Sword overworld dungeon elements put in, an actual livelier populated world instead of a handful of unmemorable people here and there, a less of a nanny follower, maybe a blacksmith that can create and customize weapons, and a story that actualyl ties up loose ends in the zelda world instead of opening up many more. Hell, I'm even down for a 3 part epic so long as its done right. Just make sure its a full fledge game, and not give off that Golden Sun Dark Dawn feel where the game doesn't feel as big and long than it actually was. I think the word I'm looking for is underwhelming adventure...

This. *__*

----------------------------------

As I play through WWHD, I realized that the one thing I really missed was a dynamic overworld. As much as I loved Skyward Sword, the fact that you can't travel at night greatly disappointed me. I want to look up at the night sky and identify constellations, something I'm unable to do IRL because of light pollution. I also want to see actual moon phases, watch the sun rise and set, interact with some animals, and watch the world be alive around me without having to reach a checkpoint to see any change. I want a world in which I can jump into and wander off for hours, completely immersed.

#18 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@4myAmuzumament

Repitition is great..... But I haven't played LoZ so I don't know specifically what the problem is.

#19 Edited by tocool340 (20487 posts) -
@ANIMEguy10034 said:

@tocool340 said:

This. *__*

----------------------------------

As I play through WWHD, I realized that the one thing I really missed was a dynamic overworld. As much as I loved Skyward Sword, the fact that you can't travel at night greatly disappointed me. I want to look up at the night sky and identify constellations, something I'm unable to do IRL because of light pollution. I also want to see actual moon phases, watch the sun rise and set, interact with some animals, and watch the world be alive around me without having to reach a checkpoint to see any change. I want a world in which I can jump into and wander off for hours, completely immersed.

Yeah that's the one thing I hated about Skyward Sword, not being able to see the transition from night to day and vice versa. The lack of overcast or changes with the weather was also missed. I mean, it would have been nice if there were some storms that created a bit of turbulence when flying around.

I didn't bother bringing it up but atmosphere and ambiance is also what I REALLY want. Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Majora Mask did it well with storms and rain (Though I think those mainly came when you played that storm song or if there was something evil in the area that darkened up the skies in both MM and OoT. TP and I think WW were the only Zelda titles with true storm systems.), atmospheric sounds, and day transitioning with even a wolf howling whenever night came around. I think they really were trying their best with the atmosphere in Twilight Princess, but only got so far with Gamecubes and Wii's hardware. Now that we have Wii U, I'd like for Nintendo artists to go wild with doing all the things they wanted to do with Twilight Princess but couldn't due to limitations. Detail the sky of both day and night, include ambiance noise for each area (If there's a swamp, include frog, locust, crickets, whatever noise is made in swamps. Same for mountains, forest, lakes, cities, and deserts. Hell, take it further and give the ambiance sounds life during night time like certain monsters give off noises and hide themselves well, that way it becomes imperative that we stay alert), add light bugs similar to the ones in OoT's Kokiri area, storm systems that occur more frequent than they do in Twilight Princess, morning fog/mist, variety of animals and insects, occasional shooting star and constellations along with the moons many lunar phases (Could add content that only becomes available during certain moon phases), and dynamic lighting. I would add a gradual turn in seasons, but I think that's asking for too much...

In a nutshell, I want the next zelda game to be so immersive that I'd spend hours simply taking in the atmosphere of the game like watching storms go by or wondering around the world at night time observing the stars and listening to all the night time noise...

#20 Edited by ANIMEguy10034 (4702 posts) -

@tocool340: Actually, the addition of seasons may not be too far-fetched. One of the main reasons I constantly went back to the fishing spot in TP was because the season magically changed every time you entered. I loved fishing below the cherry blossom tree during the spring, or gazing at the copper leaves during the autumn. A gradual turn in seasons can provide a unique twist to overworld puzzles, like Oracle of Seasons. They can even have enemies adapt to the changing terrain. Moblins on horseback during the summer and moblins on sleds being pulled by stalhounds during the winter.

Words can not describe how much I want this and everything you mentioned in the next Zelda game.

#21 Edited by ajames_123 (2983 posts) -
#22 Edited by osan0 (12627 posts) -

Artstyle: moving painting/drawing. i want every frame to look hand drawn. that would pose a very difficult technical challenge but would be very interesting. ubisoft tried with POP last gen but that was just hand drawn textures with cell shading. nice looking game but not quite what i would like to see. it wouldnt be like zelda WW either (though that game was, is and always will be gorgeous) think more like an artist drawing the first SS concept art at 30FPS and its moving.

I would love to see more smaller dungeons rather than a few massive dungeons. little dungeons (some could only be 1 to 2 rooms in size) dotted around the place along with some big ones (mostly for the main questline). the system they had in a link between worlds was also very elegant whereby the player rented/bought items and they would be told which items they would need for the dungeon. so they could be tackled in any order. perhaps they could improve on that by having obsticles on the way up to a dungeon (maybe only for the major ones) that needed certain items. so if the player could reach the dungeon then they had everything they would need to complete the dungeon (except for the item inside...if there is also to be items inside to compliment the link between worlds system).

more uses for money. skyward sword tried to tackle this and so has a link between worlds. SS kinda shot itself in the foot with its system though. but in games like WW and TP rupees are pretty pointless. there could be some pointless money sinks like better looking armor perhaps along with things like your own house....perhaps your own ranch that has to be rebuilt (a little distraction on the side). buying the items for dungeons would also be a money sink of course. but avoid things like critical items that wear down meaning you need to return to the vendor and repair it or something...it can get annoying.

Controls to be like SS. ideally the wiiu would have been a wii2 but the wiimote and nunchuck will have to do. perhaps they could do something interesting with the gamepad for a second player in co-op like they did in WW...but mainly SS controls.

#23 Edited by Meinhard1 (6768 posts) -

It needs to be fresh and unburdened by the franchises history.

It should look/feel like not only a fantastic Zelda game, but a fantastic modern adventure game.

#24 Edited by EdiddyXP (6 posts) -

There have been some good ideas listed previously. I would REALLY like the game to have different weapons, different "found item" sounds, and different characters. To be quite honest, I have not looked forward to purchasing a Zelda game in several years because I am so tired of the same formulaic Zelda. I have been a fan of the game since the first one on Nintendo Entertainment System, but the Gamecube / Wii games have been extremely predictable and irritatingly repetitive. I would love for the Wii U Zelda to be something fresh. I don't care what type of art/graphics they use, just use some fresh ideas. (And PLEASE, PLEASE leave Tingle out of the game!)

#25 Edited by juboner (399 posts) -

@EdiddyXP: "(And PLEASE, PLEASE leave Tingle out of the game!)"

Calm down.... I'm sure he is just joking.

#26 Posted by brn360 (8 posts) -

I would definitely like Zelda Wii U to have more of a dark feel to it as was seen in Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess. Twilight Princess was a great game in my opinion despite what has been said about it, and although I will agree that it could be a bit dull at times (not a whole lot to explore in Hyrule Field), I think that its general theme was a good idea.

As for the art style, I am definitely hoping for something very similar to what was seen in the Wii U tech demo. I am actually not a huge fan of the way things looked in Skyward Sword, and I am hoping that the visuals are less childish than what was seen in it. To me, it was as if they tried to blend Twilight Princess graphics (dark and mature) with those of the Wind Waker (bright and childish, which makes more sense in a Toon Link game). I think they need to just pick a style instead of trying to meet in the middle, and my personal preference would be that they go with a more mature look to showcase the HD capabilities of the Wii U.

In terms of items, I am not too picky. The important thing here is that there is some sort of variety. In Skyward Sword, I felt that every item forced the use of Wii Motion Plus motion controls (don't even get me started). Some of the ideas, however, I thought were very good, one example being the Beetle. Weapon upgrades were also a great feature from SS and A Link Between Worlds and they would definitely be welcome in Zelda Wii U. I think that the upgrades can breath new life into items that may have only been used in a dungeon or two.

Be warned before you read ahead! My plot section does give away a key plot element from a past Zelda game!

Finally, I am hoping for a deep and well-developed plot with some decent characters to back it up. For example, in A Link Between Worlds there is a great plot twist at the end when Ravio turns out to be Link's Lorule doppelgänger. The problem for me was that this striking similarity was not explained in more detail. It left me wanting more! However, Nintendo has been able to deliver some astonishingly deep stories up to this point, and if they can add just a bit more detail, I'm sure it will be nothing short of perfection.

I believe I have raved on long enough, but the point is that I am extremely excited for what Nintendo has been working so hard on for us. Even if not a single wish of mine comes true for the game, I will completely love it anyway. There has never been a truly bad Zelda game, I don't believe there ever will be. (And that means a canon Zelda game! Screw you CD-I!)