What do you think about the Hyrule Warriors Direct?

#1 Edited by PikachuDude860 (787 posts) -

I enjoyed it. Though most of the info we already knew....

I LOVE the characters! All of them look badass.

Too bad we didn't get anything from Wind Waker...

I think the adventure mode is a bit more like a mission mode.

What do you think? Will you be getting it?

Keep in mind that the combat, while a bit repetitive, can be rewarding playing as your favorite Zelda characters.

#2 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4763 posts) -

It was good. I initially planned on skipping this, but the amount of Zelda lore put into this has made it incredibly difficult to ignore. I may rent it. Possibly use it to make the wait for Zelda Wii U more bearable.

#3 Posted by PikachuDude860 (787 posts) -

@ANIMEguy10034: Yeah I was going to wait for it too. But after watching that, I'll be getting it on launch. Get all of DLC.

BTW, Nintendo is doing pre-order day one DLC now. Woah...Cool. You gotta start somewhere.

#4 Posted by Josh5890 (1013 posts) -

The more I see of this game the more interested I get.

#5 Edited by AVIS93 (300 posts) -

Looks nice and I got very excited with the Zant and Ganondorf reveals, although I'm way more excited to play as Midna, which is my favorite Zelda character. I'm expecting a lot more content in terms of stages than what was revealed, though the number of playable characters looks very decent. The adventure mode was another highlight, sporting a very neat original TLOZ look to it. The RPG-style progression system looks awesome as well.

On the other hand, I was very upset and disappointed with the inclusion of pre-order DLC. This is a horrible trend that began last generation and I don't like seeing Nintendo jump into that as well. They are some freaking costumes, why not include them in the disc? It is very alienating towards some customers like me who don't live in the US.

#6 Posted by Bardock47 (5293 posts) -

I am heavily interested in it....that being said, the Dynasty Warriors games never appealed to me, so I will wait for the reviews on this one.

#7 Posted by Meinhard1 (6769 posts) -

I had to keep telling myself that it was just a Dynasty Warriors game.

Ultimately, I'm sure this game will simply provide a moderate level of disposable enjoyment but now it seems more clear than ever that there will be elements that I'll love -- there's some great stuff for Zelda fans in this package.

But yes, the preorder stuff sucks. What fan wouldn't want those alt-skins, it's mean of Nintendo to not simply include them in the original game.

#8 Posted by outworld222 (2426 posts) -

It so late now......I have to get some rest, but I'll be sure to see and comment on it tomorrow.

#9 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4763 posts) -

@Meinhard1 said:

I had to keep telling myself that it was just a Dynasty Warriors game.

This is my main gripe with this game. It looks better than any Dynasty Warriors game, but I don't know if it's me being bias for loving Zelda games. I want to believe that this will turn out to be a legitimately great game with significant improvements to the Dynasty Warriors franchise rather than the same ol' Dynasty Warriors with a Zelda skin.

#10 Edited by Sgt_Crow (4391 posts) -

I admit I didn't like the game that much when they showed it at E3, and the first few minutes of the direct it looked kind of bland in the graphics department as well. When they got to the point of showing the characters I was sold though. Graphics look actually quite good and the action looks amazing. Can't wait to play as Midna, her attacks are awesome! Only hesitation now is how long I would enjoy a game like this. Never played Dynasty Warriors by the way.

#11 Posted by superbuuman (2833 posts) -

officially confirm tecmo koei not so good with visuals...that said I already know which character I will be using if I buy the game. :P

#12 Posted by yokofox33 (29653 posts) -

I loved it. The game looks super fun (in small doses), so I'm even more excited for the game. Just wish a demo was released and a limited edition was announced. Have you seen the limited editions Japan is getting?! Super jelly.

#13 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7393 posts) -

I'm pleasantly surprised. What got my attention the most is their take on Adventure Mode. I like how they're integrating Zelda elements into the game so that it's not just a straight DW reskin. The thing that has me sold on it is dual screen multiplayer. I've been looking for something my fiance and I can play together and this fits the bill nicely.

I don't like how most enemies seem to just stand around. Only the large ones seem aggressive. Those visuals are meh, but it runs well. The project has come a long way since its reveal last year.

#14 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16756 posts) -

I am excited for the game surprisingly. I can't wait to play as Zant.

The issue I have is they are taking the most from Ocarina of Time, twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. Why not take from the entire series, or at least Majora's Mask and Wind Waker?

#15 Posted by Grieverr (2716 posts) -

It's a day 1 purchase for me!

I was most likely buying this game anyways. Although not a huge fan, I've always thought the DW games were entertaining, even though I only played a few minutes of two or three games in the series. Having a Zelda skin was enough to warrant a purchase from me.

This Direct completely destroyed (in a good way) my expectations for the game. I really thought you'd just pick a character and hack-n-slash til you got bored. But the weapons and upgrades, character levels, 2 player co-op, adventure mode, and all the other items (like skulltulas) really bring this game to another level. It's still just a mostly mindless button masher, but it will be lots of fun. All the characters seem to have unique moves and supers. Using items like the hookshot to get around sound promising, if they add hidden paths and what not. Plus I'm sure they didn't show everything, so I'm looking forward to a few surprises.

I think the DLC is a good thing, in some part. Obviously, I don't think it's good for the game, but I do think its good for Nintendo to get up to speed with the market. It's a sign that Nintendo is modernizing itself and adapting to the current state of gaming. I hope it opens doors for other DLC, including characters not in the Zelda universe, and maybe even new levels. I hope some 3rd party notices and thinks the Wii U will be a good place to put a game and get DLC out.

#16 Posted by outworld222 (2426 posts) -

This game doesn't look bad at all! Glad it's coming to the WiiU.

I liked the princess of the insect kingdom a lot. Dynasty warriors mood is also good, struck with LOZ.

I liked the classic map as well. This just might push me into getting a WiiU at one point into the future ^_^

#17 Posted by Solaryellow (484 posts) -

@yokofox33 said:

I loved it. The game looks super fun (in small doses), so I'm even more excited for the game. Just wish a demo was released and a limited edition was announced. Have you seen the limited editions Japan is getting?! Super jelly.

The game looks enjoyable and looks like a nice twist on an old recipe. Limited Edition? The JPN L.E. look (2 I think) nice but no love for the States!

#18 Posted by Star0 (443 posts) -

Zelda U looks better already...

#19 Edited by PikachuDude860 (787 posts) -

I can relate to all of your opnions. While I'm still afraid of the gameplay getting old after a while, it's worth it in order to play as all the different characters. I think we will all enjoy it.

@Grieverr: I think the DLC is a good thing, in some part. Obviously, I don't think it's good for the game, but I do think its good for Nintendo to get up to speed with the market. It's a sign that Nintendo is modernizing itself and adapting to the current state of gaming. I hope it opens doors for other DLC, including characters not in the Zelda universe, and maybe even new levels. I hope some 3rd party notices and thinks the Wii U will be a good place to put a game and get DLC out.

Yeah, I agree. DLC is a good thing. (As long as it isn't unfairly overpriced.) Plus, most of Nintendo's DLC has been pretty cheap. Sometimes free. With the pre-order bonuses and all the online functionality that is in Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros. and Splatoon I think Nintendo is finally starting to get the hang of things. They even refered to the next big Zelda game as an "open world" game. (Though Miyamoto doesn't like that term.)

Let's hope that Nintendo (and definitely Iwata) can learn from all of this and better prepare for the future.

#20 Posted by superbuuman (2833 posts) -

^ So want the Twilight Princess costume sets ..looks so good! :)

#21 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (7393 posts) -

@superbuuman said:

I usually don't buy costume DLC, but this one is an exception.

#22 Edited by KBFloYd (13629 posts) -

my body is ready.

#23 Posted by PikachuDude860 (787 posts) -

@superbuuman: Same here. If they're not coming with the Gamestop pre-order, I hope they'll be free on the E-Shop. (Or really cheap)

#24 Posted by spike6958 (4781 posts) -

I finally found the time to watch this. As of right now, I'm more excited for Hyrule Warriors than I am for Zelda U.

#25 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5976 posts) -

Really disappointing that there is retailer exclusive DLC. WTF is that shit? Better be available to buy later

#26 Posted by superbuuman (2833 posts) -

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

@superbuuman said:

I usually don't buy costume DLC, but this one is an exception.

@pikachudude860 said:

@superbuuman: Same here. If they're not coming with the Gamestop pre-order, I hope they'll be free on the E-Shop. (Or really cheap)

Ya if have to pay, Im gonna have to be a hypocrite..on my no DLC stance...I really hope its a pre-order thing. :P

#27 Posted by yokofox33 (29653 posts) -

Pre-ordered the game at Amazon a long time ago, and it looks like Amazon gets the Twilight Princess costume set. I'm cool with that.

#28 Posted by farrell2k (6072 posts) -

I wasn't sold on hyrule warriors before, I am definitely buying it now.

#29 Posted by SolidTy (43241 posts) -

It's just Dynasty Warriors with a Zelda mod. I'm not interested.

#30 Edited by KBFloYd (13629 posts) -

my treasure box collectors edition was just charged...190$ shipped

yes asia charges like 50$ more.... get it from nin nin game like me

http://www.nin-nin-game.com/en/japanese-import-wii-u-brand-new-softs/11170--zelda-musou-hyrule-warriors-treasure-box-amazon-japan-gamecity-limited-edition-wii-u-en.html

the europe collectors edition only has the scarf. usa will probably get this too.

#31 Posted by farrell2k (6072 posts) -

@KBFloYd:
Is the WiiU not region locked?

#32 Posted by KBFloYd (13629 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

@KBFloYd:

yes....youll have to buy the game twice if you actually want to play the game. :P

#33 Posted by farrell2k (6072 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@farrell2k said:

@KBFloYd:

yes....youll have to buy the game twice if you actually want to play the game. :P

Oh. I want to play local cop-op with another person, so I'll buy it 4x, just in case. Thank you. You were very helpful. God bless.

#34 Edited by KBFloYd (13629 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

@KBFloYd said:

@farrell2k said:

@KBFloYd:

Oh. I want to play local cop-op with another person, so I'll buy it 4x, just in case. Thank you. You were very helpful. God bless.

dont bring god into this...he did nothing wrong. lol