What are your thoughts on Nintendo's E3 event?

• 64 results
#1 Edited by PikachuDude860 (251 posts) -

Zelda U.....OMG It's...Beautiful.

And Splatoon...That games looks awesome!

Mario Party 10!

Kirby!

Robot Chicken!

My only problem is...Almost all of them come out in 2015! WTF?!

Oh well, I'd rather them take their time with these games. But it's going to be torture waiting for these games.

What do you think about it?

#2 Edited by KBFloYd (12774 posts) -

zelda was exactly what people wanted....a huge world to explore....artstyle isnt dark but doesnt look like a cartoon either...its in between realistic and cartoon.

mario party 10 was announced? i didnt see that...for 3ds? or wiiU?

#3 Posted by wiifan001 (18316 posts) -

Wait, when was Mario Party 10 announced?

#4 Posted by JordanElek (17699 posts) -

Wait, when was Mario Party 10 announced?

In the Treehouse after the show. It's one of the games that will use Amiibos.

#5 Edited by superbuuman (2527 posts) -

It meh, like you stated most titles are 2015..which means barren year for Wii U..Smash Bros is about the only thing. Which is kinda sad. Xenoblade Chronicles X & Bayonetta 2 should have been give a release dates. Zelda is not Toon Link..look more like Skyward Sword style :) ..there's Starfox..again tho..games are coming in future. :(

#6 Posted by spike6958 (4650 posts) -

Seriously guys, i'm gonna ask this in every topic from now on, was the person riding Epona a girl? To me she looked more like Zelda than Link, and they're talking about turning the conventions of Zelda on it's head.

#7 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

Nothing that will help sell consoles, but lost of good news for those of us that own their systems. I think the amiibo may be a misstep from a company that needs to attract more adults and suffers from the kiddie image.

#8 Posted by KBFloYd (12774 posts) -

Seriously guys, i'm gonna ask this in every topic from now on, was the person riding Epona a girl? To me she looked more like Zelda than Link, and they're talking about turning the conventions of Zelda on it's head.

it was clearly link.

#9 Posted by Chozofication (2685 posts) -

He looks so weird in both this new Zelda and Hyrule warriors, very effeminate, but he's still a guy.

#10 Posted by Solaryellow (422 posts) -

Even when I bought the system on release day and suffered through the droughts of titles, I never subscribed to the doom and gloom predictions for Nintendo and the Wii U. Today though, I'm ready to subscribe because it was pitiful. The next big game of 2014 (SB will be the second after MK8) supposedly comes out in the winter but I am highly pessimistic. That's supposed to keep me coming back to the U? Seriously? Hyrule Warriors along with Captain Toad look good but they won't make people run out and buy the system. Hell, I thought Captain Toad was going to be some DLC for SM3DL that would be available today. Of course I can't forget some of the names slated for 2015 but that is so far away and you know Zelda won't be coming until the holidays so that's almost a year and a half. I think Nintendo's hype train for E3 derailed as soon as it left the station.

#11 Posted by PikachuDude860 (251 posts) -

@superbuuman: But Bayonetta 2 is coming out THIS October. And it comes with the original. And Hyrule Warriors comes out this September. I see where your coming from though.

My problem is, most of those games that are coming out in 2015 will have BIG competetion from other games like Batman, Halo, Uncharted ETC.

Smash Bros is, so far, the only system seller coming out this year.

We always could have more Nintendo directs for more game announcements.

#12 Posted by Tonindo (470 posts) -

Mario Maker looks fun. Hopefully you can share your levels on the internet. Xenoblade Chronicles X looks kind of underwhelming, but still pretty good. Zelda on the other hand looks amazing, jaw-dropping.

#13 Posted by jimmarko21876 (413 posts) -

Nothing blew me away, however with that said, I can always count on Nintendo to fill my platformer needs unlike MS or Sony. Kirby and Yoshi looks like fun.

#14 Posted by superbuuman (2527 posts) -

@spike6958 said:

He looks so weird in both this new Zelda and Hyrule warriors, very effeminate, but he's still a guy.

Do you watch anime?..shouldn't be surprise if you do. :)

#15 Edited by PikachuDude860 (251 posts) -

@KBFloYd: zelda was exactly what people wanted....a huge world to explore....artstyle isnt dark but doesnt look like a cartoon either...its in between realistic and cartoon.

mario party 10 was announced? i didnt see that...for 3ds? or wiiU?

It's for Wii U. I don't know when they annouced it, but they talked about it at the Nintendo TreeHouse.

#16 Edited by ANIMEguy10034 (4605 posts) -

@spike6958: I wondered the same exact thing. It'll definitely be a cool twist. Link's body structure looked rather feminine. Link's either female or very young.

EDIT: Link is male. Now that I look back at the reveal trailer, you could see that he's in his early teens but with longer side burns.

On topic: It was definitely the most humorous out of the press conferences, but I'm still craving more. After my hype settled down, I can definitely conclude that this E3 was decent at best. What they showed was a nice treat, but it was not anything we did not expect at some point. We predicted both Miis and Palutena to be in Smash Bros, we predicted to see Zelda U, Yarn Yoshi, Pokemon ORAS, Bayonetta, Xenoblade X, etc etc. However, it's very disappointing to see that many of the games they showed had 2015 releases. I clearly remember how many of us hoped that 2014 was going to be the year for Wii U last year, but there's a massive drought of Wii U games between Mario Kart 8 and the Holiday season. The 3DS library has been extra dry this year and hopefully they'll reveal more games tomorrow.

#17 Posted by Chozofication (2685 posts) -

@Chozofication said:

@spike6958 said:

Do you watch anime?..shouldn't be surprise if you do. :)

I mean his facial structure is feminine, Link's never been the manliest of men but you could always tell he's a guy :p

#18 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (6867 posts) -

I'm very impressed with the event. Unlike last year, this one went without a hitch. I had no problems viewing it. I got a laugh in the robot chicken and Smash Bros sections - especially when Iwata did his whole "Please Understand" thing. The content was good and MUH GAWD, DAT ZELDA! Bayonetta 1 packed in with Bayonetta 2 was a huge and pleasant surprise. Star Fox was totally unexpected prior to the leak. As for Splatoon, I was skeptical at first. After watching it in action, the idea grew on me. I'm willing to give it a try.

For the first time in a long time, I'm satisfied with Nintendo's E3 showing.

#19 Posted by tocool340 (20417 posts) -

As I said in another thread I thought that conference was pretty fucking disappointing to me content wise. There was a pathetic amount of 3rd party games based on that direct and many of the games that were covered were pretty much announced last year (Only going in-depth with details on those games). There were hardly any new games announced for Wii U OR 3DS, at least highly interesting system selling type games....

The only games that I found interesting in the conference was Zelda (I really wish they provided more footage and details), Yoshi Yarn, Bayonnetta, and a little of Xenoblade Saga. Most of the games that are being announced AFTER that direct segment should have been announced DURING. Games like Star Fox should've had a proper announcement....

#20 Edited by ooole (9 posts) -

What I feel nintendo should have done:

Showcase a bunch of exciting new games that will be released between now and christmas since most PS4/X1 games will only arrive in 2015.

What nintendo did:

Buy plastic figures, here's a bunch of old cash cow remakes (I'm sorry, to me is what they are) that will be released in 2015.

Conclusion:

Bayonetta 2 looks good... that's about it. Oh and fuck the amiibos.

#21 Posted by Sepewrath (28669 posts) -

As I said in another thread I thought that conference was pretty fucking disappointing to me content wise. There was a pathetic amount of 3rd party games based on that direct and many of the games that were covered were pretty much announced last year (Only going in-depth with details on those games). There were hardly any new games announced for Wii U OR 3DS, at least highly interesting system selling type games....

The only games that I found interesting in the conference was Zelda (I really wish they provided more footage and details), Yoshi Yarn, Bayonnetta, and a little of Xenoblade Saga. Most of the games that are being announced AFTER that direct segment should have been announced DURING. Games like Star Fox should've had a proper announcement....

You were expecting massive amounts of 3rd party games despite the fact that they are clearly pulling back due to lack of sales? You were living in a fantasy world, of course you would be disappointed. I thought it was very good, they showed lots of solid games on the horizon. Perhaps those will increase sales with Mario Kart and Smash this year, that will increase 3rd party support down the line.

#22 Posted by superbuuman (2527 posts) -

@superbuuman: But Bayonetta 2 is coming out THIS October. And it comes with the original. And Hyrule Warriors comes out this September. I see where your coming from though.

My problem is, most of those games that are coming out in 2015 will have BIG competetion from other games like Batman, Halo, Uncharted ETC.

Smash Bros is, so far, the only system seller coming out this year.

We always could have more Nintendo directs for more game announcements.

yea, & I will be buying Bayonetta 2 that's a given, just really bum Xenoblade Chronicles X is 2015....Hyrule Warriors Im still on the fence. Oh I don't care about the competitions..Zelda U if its open world like Aonuma say (I think I hear correct) will be freaking awesome! ..I won't be buying a PS4 till about 2016 .. :P

#23 Posted by superbuuman (2527 posts) -

@YearoftheSnake5 Yea I like the show they put on..it was very funny. No Iwata bla bla bla-ing at Nintendo E3 is a good plan. Was wishing Reggie would beat Iwata in Smash video. :P

#24 Edited by FFCYAN (4922 posts) -

I see myself getting most of the games announced. I also see myself playing a lot of Mario Kart and Smash Bros. until they come out.

Splatoon looks pretty awesome.

#25 Posted by KBFloYd (12774 posts) -

hyrule warriors trailer is beast!

#26 Posted by maynardburger (187 posts) -

Xenoblade X was super disappointing. Looked awful. I bought a Wii just for Xenoblade and was really hoping to get excited about this one, but the character models and visuals overall were just a big let down.

Zelda looked good. Didn't really show much, though.

The rest seemed pretty meh at best.

Pretty poor overall, I'd say. If it wasn't for Zelda, it'd be a catastrophe.

Oh, and those Amiibo's are seriously stupid. Nintendo has endless reserves of creativity, but they spend it in the wrong places more often than not. Its no wonder they're doing so badly at the moment. They insist on trying to recapture that family-friendly success of the Wii and its not going to happen. It was a fad for casual gamers, who have all moved on to smartphone gaming.

#27 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (6867 posts) -

@KBFloYd: Ya know, I'm actually interested in Hyrule Warriors after the presentation. That trailer is really good. It's nice to see that you can play as Zelda - the princess doesn't need saving this time.

#28 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (655 posts) -

No Metroid or Star Fox? Sad year for me.

#29 Edited by JordanElek (17699 posts) -

Xenoblade X was super disappointing. Looked awful. I bought a Wii just for Xenoblade and was really hoping to get excited about this one, but the character models and visuals overall were just a big let down.

I know this will sound crazy, and I swear it's not just me being defensive or whatever, but I was actually kind of happy to see that the character models looked like that.

The only reason Xenoblade was able to be such a HUGE game was because it was on the Wii. They could spend more time on more areas because the graphical fidelity didn't require a huge time commitment for every little detail.

I was afraid that on the WiiU, X would either take fifteen years to make at the same level of quality or take a reasonable amount of time and be a much smaller game. I didn't really consider that they might just skimp on the stuff that doesn't matter so much in that type of game and opt for a huge world that will undoubtedly still be beautiful without the enormous resource sink.

The huge beautiful world wasn't confirmed in the trailer, but I have more hope for it now than I did before.

#30 Edited by ooole (9 posts) -

@maynardburger:

@maynardburger said:

Zelda looked good. Didn't really show much, though.

The rest seemed pretty meh at best.

Pretty poor overall, I'd say. If it wasn't for Zelda, it'd be a catastrophe.

Oh, and those Amiibo's are seriously stupid. Nintendo has endless reserves of creativity, but they spend it in the wrong places more often than not. Its no wonder they're doing so badly at the moment. They insist on trying to recapture that family-friendly success of the Wii and its not going to happen. It was a fad for casual gamers, who have all moved on to smartphone gaming.

Haven't seen that since the gamecube era.

#31 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (6867 posts) -
#32 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (655 posts) -

@YearoftheSnake5: That's awesome! That's a crazy tease, haha. Starfox and Zelda U will have to carry me until a new Metroid surfaces.

#33 Posted by superbuuman (2527 posts) -

@maynardburger said:

I know this will sound crazy, and I swear it's not just me being defensive or whatever, but I was actually kind of happy to see that the character models looked like that.

The only reason Xenoblade was able to be such a HUGE game was because it was on the Wii. They could spend more time on more areas because the graphical fidelity didn't require a huge time commitment for every little detail.

I was afraid that on the WiiU, X would either take fifteen years to make at the same level of quality or take a reasonable amount of time and be a much smaller game. I didn't really consider that they might just skimp on the stuff that doesn't matter so much in that type of game and opt for a huge world that will undoubtedly still be beautiful without the enormous resource sink.

The huge beautiful world wasn't confirmed in the trailer, but I have more hope for it now than I did before.

^ This sentiment...remember the scale of Chronicles on Wii ..also remember Chronicles on Wii didn't have cgi much cutscenes (besides the 2 giant fighting)...the cutscenes were in game graphics..so if the same could apply for Chronicles X on Wii U...what you're seeing could be in game graphics, I hate discrepancies of ingame visuals & cgi visuals. :P Bigger world than Chronicles (Wii) on X is my hope...I love running around in the world of Chronicles on Wii.

#34 Posted by maynardburger (187 posts) -

@maynardburger said:

Is it really asking too much to at least look like a half decent 360/PS3-era game, though? It straight looked like another Wii game.

#35 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (6867 posts) -

Is it really asking too much to at least look like a half decent 360/PS3-era game, though? It straight looked like another Wii game.

I don't think you remember what Wii games look like.

#36 Edited by tocool340 (20417 posts) -

@Sepewrath said:

@tocool340 said:

You were expecting massive amounts of 3rd party games despite the fact that they are clearly pulling back due to lack of sales? You were living in a fantasy world, of course you would be disappointed. I thought it was very good, they showed lots of solid games on the horizon. Perhaps those will increase sales with Mario Kart and Smash this year, that will increase 3rd party support down the line.

Where the hell did I say I was expecting a massive amount of 3rd party games? I never have my expectations so high as to expect a Sony or Microsoft level of support from 3rd party companies but at least some type of support to collaborate with their 1st party games. My expectations were that there could be at least 2 newly announced hype worthy IP's from any 3rd party company. NEW games, not ones that were pretty much announced before Wii U launch like Xenoblade and Bayonnetta. There are decent games in the horizon (In general), but too far and between one another...

#37 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4077 posts) -

I'm kind of mixed. The new LoZ looks great, although I really wanted a darker game like Twilight Princess (something like the tech demo). Link also looks kind of weird, but that's just nitpicking. I'm also excited for Star Fox, but that's about it. I'm not completely thrilled with Miis in SSB and I definitely don't like the whole amiibo thing. Oh, I guess I'm also excited about the Ruby/Sapphire remakes.

#38 Posted by JordanElek (17699 posts) -

@maynardburger said:

Yeah. The character models honestly reminded me of the PS2 (probably because of the Xenosaga links) but presented in a higher resolution frame, but everything else was fine. That's what I meant by skimping on the stuff that doesn't matter. If the character models are polygonal (that hair!) and the textures are a bit muddy, the environments can be huge and artistically amazing, just like they were on the Wii. And the higher native resolution will make it look even better regardless.

#39 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (6867 posts) -

@JordanElek: The character models are like a cross between Xenosaga and Mass Effect 1 to me. For a game as huge as it probably is, I was expecting this.

#40 Edited by starwolf474 (417 posts) -

I was disappointed with it.

The only thing shown that really excited me was Mario Maker. I'm also happy to hear that they are making a StarFox game and I don't understand why they didn't show that during their conference.

I would have been excited about Mario Party 10 but then I saw that damn car again. I thought Nintendo would have learned their lesson after Mario Party 9 that the car ruins Mario Party.

I was very disappointed with the Zelda game's artstyle. Link looks like a girl. I wanted it to be just like last year's tech demo. Why does Nintendo always tease us with an amazing tech demo with realistic graphics and then completely change it to cartoony graphics?

I also don't like Mii's being in Super Smash Bros.

#41 Posted by PikachuDude860 (251 posts) -

Hey guys, watch the live TreeHouse. They're showing off lots gameplay.

#42 Posted by sonic_spark (4573 posts) -

Meh. That's what I thought.

The Smash Bros. reveals were minimal, and not great. The artstyle for the new Zelda isn't bad... per se... but I so wanted the tech demo from the previous e3 style.

No Metroid and no true 3D Mario... that sucks.

I am excited for Starfox. That was a pleasant surprise. I could've used more trailers though to actually show me stuff.

#43 Posted by maynardburger (187 posts) -

@maynardburger said:

I do very much.

It would be a bad looking 360/PS3 game at best, though.

#44 Posted by JordanElek (17699 posts) -

There's more to graphics than textures and character models. Xenoblade was more awesome to look at than 90% of the 360 games I played, thanks to its amazing environmental design alone.

Also, we're seeing real gameplay now and it looks absolutely fantastic. You don't need great character models when you don't spend most of your time exploring amazingly designed areas.

#45 Edited by meetroid8 (21139 posts) -

I thought it was fine. I'm psyched to see more of the new Zelda, however long that takes, and most of the games they showed are things I'd be interested to play sometime down the line. It doesn't make me want to go out an buy a Wii U, but I thought anyone who already owns one would have been satisfied with what was shown.

#46 Posted by maynardburger (187 posts) -

@maynardburger said:

There's more to graphics than textures and character models. Xenoblade was more awesome to look at than 90% of the 360 games I played, thanks to its amazing environmental design alone.

Also, we're seeing real gameplay now and it looks absolutely fantastic. You don't need great character models when you don't spend most of your time exploring amazingly designed areas.

The gameplay did look a lot better. Character models are still a bit painful to look at, though. I don't really know what they were thinking. Both from a graphics standpoint and an art style standpoint, they look ugly and preposterous. Its like they 'anime'd' it up or something.

#47 Edited by JordanElek (17699 posts) -

@maynardburger said:

The gameplay did look a lot better. Character models are still a bit painful to look at, though. I don't really know what they were thinking. Both from a graphics standpoint and an art style standpoint, they look ugly and preposterous. Its like they 'anime'd' it up or something.

This team has been making character models like that since the PS2 era, and it shows. I guess they really like that style for some reason. I've thought ever since Xenosaga that they look bland and robotic (though that made sense for some of the Xenosaga characters).

Good thing everything else is breathtaking.

#48 Posted by PikachuDude860 (251 posts) -

Did anyone else see the gameplay for X, Splatoon, Hyrule Warriors and Miyamoto's 2 new games? They were live at the Nintendo Treehouse. stream. I can't find gameplay videos anywhere.

BTW, the gameplay for X lasted for about an hour...It seemed that way at least.

#49 Posted by PopeAnonymousXV (37 posts) -

What I think is that too much is coming next year. But on the positive side Bayonetta 1&2 might make it out this year, and then we Hyrule Warriors and Smash. Hyrule Warriors is looking better and better every time I see it. I marked out when I saw Zelda ala Twilight Princess as a playable character, (I still prefer the super adorable Skyward Sword version of her, but she's obviously not a remotely believable fighter compared to the TP version) then I squealed like a girl for Midna.

Love the art style of Zelda U. Link looks perfect exactly as is, but I would love to have them go ahead and reveal that IS a female Link, they want to turn series conventions on their heads? Female Link saving Prince Zelda from Ganandorf. Anita Sarkeesian's head would implode.

#50 Posted by Pierst179 (10684 posts) -

2015 looks absolutely loaded!