What are your thoughts on Mario Kart 8?

• 98 results
#1 Posted by PikachuDude860 (599 posts) -

I like it. I really like it. It may be the best in the series.

But then again, I've only played about 3 or 4 Mario Karts. I only own two. (Double Dash and Wii)

From what I've seen, it really may, IMO, be the best in the series.

It could, IMO, perhaps be one of the best racing games ever.

Graphics are amazing, they may be the best I've ever seen. (let's not get started on that please)

IMO, the game alone is worth buying a Wii U for, if you like racing games.

If you have played it, what do you think about it?

#2 Edited by KBFloYd (13293 posts) -

yup graphics look great to me...

a for the game. this thing is brutal.....i played like 10 online matches and the best i could do was 4th place.

very different from the wii one....its hard to comeback in this one. the golden mushrom and star are gimped a bit imo....you dont go that mucvh faster with them.

going from 8th to 1st is impossible.

im getting owned online.

another thing is the bikes are not worth it anymore. karts handle much better imo and can have the same speed...so why even use a bike? the opposite of mario kart wii.

#3 Edited by JordanElek (17782 posts) -

My first impression is that it's Mario Kart 7 on a console. That was my favorite in the series, so it's not necessarily a bad thing, but I was hoping for something more different.

Sonic and All Stars Racing showed that there can be more to a cart racing game then just Grand Prix and battle. Nintendo really needs to learn some lessons from other developers.

#4 Edited by KBFloYd (13293 posts) -

i just tried the mario kart tv feature....its pretty good.

just a little let down that you cant share the whole race with your friends. your limited to 1min highlights.

thank goodness you can view your own whole race whenever you want...but would haven been nice to see complete races by my friends to see what they really went through.

also you can only save 6 races? why? in ssb brawl you could save as many races as you want.

#5 Posted by juboner (423 posts) -

Oh boy I get ultra competitive when I race online, not sure if I want that right now. I spent like 4 months straight almost every night trying to get up to speed with the best online players in Mx vs Atv Alive, I take it very seriously and that can make u enjoy it more or sometimes bum u out.

#6 Edited by starwolf474 (573 posts) -

It has the best racing mode of all of the Mario Kart games, but battle mode is terrible because of the tracks.

I really hope Nintendo releases some real battle arenas as DLC. They don't even have to create new battle arenas; I would be happy with just some classic retro battle arenas like Block Fort and Double Deck. If they do that then this Mario Kart game will be perfect, but if they don't then I guess Mario Kart 64 will continue being my go-to Mario Kart game for battle mode.

#7 Edited by trugs26 (5316 posts) -

Just got the game! I'm heading over to a friends place to play 4 player local multiplayer first. I got the limited edition one with the blue shell :D

I'll give my impressions later on tonight.

From what I hear, the main two criticisms are battle mode and characters. And it just so happens that I love Mario Kart and never cared about the characters (always play as Mii or Mario) and I never played battle mode (I found it to be boring). So this is looking to be the best Mario Kart game for me.

#8 Edited by KBFloYd (13293 posts) -

i may have been too hasty about the bikes... i was using the standard one and it was garbage. the sport bike however is a beast. has very good turns but you have to get used to controlling it.

i almost got 1st place in two races...but of course i choked...sigh...1 mistake and its over.

#9 Edited by trugs26 (5316 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

i may have been too hasty about the bikes... i was using the standard one and it was garbage. the sport bike however is a beast. has very good turns but you have to get used to controlling it.

i almost got 1st place in two races...but of course i choked...sigh

In the Mario Kart Direct they showed how bikes and karts are more effected by the course terrain. Do you see this making much of an impact? E.g Moo Moo Meadows vs Mario Stadium (or whatever it's called).

#10 Edited by KBFloYd (13293 posts) -

@trugs26 said:

@KBFloYd said:

i almost got 1st place in two races...but of course i choked...sigh

In the Mario Kart Direct they showed how bikes and karts are more effected by the course terrain. Do you see this making much of an impact? E.g Moo Moo Meadows vs Mario Stadium (or whatever it's called).

imo the sport bike can be used in any course effectively....i havent run into course where im like...damn kart would have been better here.

its just damn...i messed up thats why i lost...not because of my vehicle selection.

maybe in time trials the pros will find the differences?

#11 Edited by Grieverr (2659 posts) -

This game really is pretty freaking great! I'm having lots of fun. A quick breakdown:

Graphics are amazing. In this battle of 1080p and 60fps, I'll choose the frame rate. It's sooooo smooth. And Nintendo really do polish their games. Beautiful textures, great use of color, and sharp, detailed graphics - looks better than many games on PS4.

Of course, game play is king and this game has it. The controls take practice and have their nuances, like the boost at the start and doing moves when you hit ramps. The steering is precise and any mistake you make is on you, not the game. The weapons are a lot of fun. My new favorite is the Piranha Plant.

I can confirm what KBFloyd said in regards to the competition being tough. Out of about 20 races, I placed top 3 only two or three times. I played against a lot of players from France, Germany, and Canada. I'm really happy to see so many different people embracing this game. But it's definitely challenging, and yea, it's really hard to come back from the rear of the pack.

This is the Wii U's premiere online title.

#12 Posted by Pierst179 (10750 posts) -

I am glad bikes were nerfed. One of Mario Kart Wii's main problems was how bikes were much more effective than karts.

#13 Edited by FFCYAN (4928 posts) -

@Grieverr said:

I can confirm what KBFloyd said in regards to the competition being tough. Out of about 20 races, I placed top 3 only two or three times. I played against a lot of players from France, Germany, and Canada. I'm really happy to see so many different people embracing this game. But it's definitely challenging, and yea, it's really hard to come back from the rear of the pack.

I feel the re-addition of the coins adds to how races play out now. I find myself keeping pace with the 10 coin max limit to stay in optimal max speed. I've only gotten to the top a few times but nevertheless, skill has more leverage now than Mario Kart Wii.

First place finish, my first of many to come. One of my favorite tracks. :)

#14 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4121 posts) -

I love it. It runs really smooth, the controls are great, and the new tracks are great. I wish the tracks were a bit longer but that's not a big problem, just me nitpicking. The music is, as always, great and the entire atmosphere of the game is awesome. It was definitely a good purchase. I have yet to play an online race though.

#15 Edited by PikachuDude860 (599 posts) -

@KBFloYd:

Yeah, that sports bike is real nice. Though I've noticed that drifting can be more difficult with bikes than with karts.

Unless the handling was too high? I dunno.

i almost got 1st place in two races...but of course i choked...sigh...1 mistake and its over.

I hear ya. I've haven't played online very much. (Want to finish grand prix first) But I can tell if you get too far behind, forget it, it's over...

#16 Posted by PikachuDude860 (599 posts) -

I'm glad you guys are enjoying it. (The online and racing at least)

I hope Nintendo markets this more. It's a really fun game and more people should give it a try.

One question though....What does "Traction" mean? Does it represent the vehicle's drifting power?

#17 Edited by ANIMEguy10034 (4715 posts) -

I've cleared 150cc with a friend and played online for a bit.

• Getting to first place is more difficult now. If you're stuck in 6th - 12th place for the first two laps, expect to stay there for the rest of the race.
  • I still can not race with bikes even if my life depended on it.
  • The red shell seem to be rarer than blue shells, but that doesn't matter much because the CPU can magically home into you with green shells.
  • The CPU are godly with boomerangs while I can rarely hit my targets.
  • I love the Piranha Plant item, I hate the obstacle ones on the tracks.
  • Although I found the new Rainbow Road to be disappointing, we actually had a lot of difficulties maintaining first place on it. More than the N64 Rainbow Road. It's far too easy to get pushed off the track in the new one.
  • Star Cup is best Star Cup.
  • OH LAWD THIS GAME GORGEOUS
  • I had a bit too much fun with editing highlight reels.
  • I hate both Roy and Wendy. Especially Roy. He was always my rival to first place.
  • Online's the usual. Did a mediocre job because I decided to play online before anything else. I should have familiarized myself with the tracks.
  • Mount Wario is my all time favorite.
  • Battle Mode is disappointing, but we still had fun with 4 players. Half of us were camping while the other half were trying to sneak behind people.

I still have to buy the game. :P

#18 Posted by VendettaRed07 (13998 posts) -

It is a really great game. It is SO close to being a fantastic one.. Or kind of a Smash Bros quality omg this is awesome type game. Falls just short because of some odd decisions and short cuts.. But overall still great.

It REALLY sucks that there is no mission mode. With the underwater stuff, anti-gravity, kites, etc.. They could have come up with some really great missions. I don't know why they've never gone back to it after how great it was in Mario Kart DS. Only thing I can think of is just lack of time/effort.

The battle mode is more fun than I thought it would be due to the tracks. Kind of feels more like a "joust" in a way. Because you are almost always meeting someone head on and driving. Almost no one stops and turns around because that leaves you vulnerable. So the nonstop driving and head on collisions "one shot to hit this guy" gameplay is fun... HOWEVER. Old style tracks should STILL be included.. because while its still good now.. all the tracks play that way and there isn't much diversity. They need, and I mean really really need to add more tracks as DLC. If pikmin gets DLC I don't see why they wouldn't add it here.

I like being able to hold only one item at a time. While yeah it sucks sometimes because you are left vulnerable, it also means a lot less spamming is going on. Which is good.

Coins being an items just plain sucks. Especially because its good for only one coin.. Not three like in the original. They need to remove this because when you are at the head of the pack and all you get for an item is a coin, your too vulnerable. Especially when you have 10 coins, its really aggravating.

Still won't let us customize our button layout for whatever reason.

FINALLY.. Awesome music! BY FAR the best in the series. I honestly think this is the first time they even put effort into the music in these games. I mean reaalll effort. Every other mario kart sound track is just bland in comparison. This games music is just top notch.

Green shells are overpowered. Honestly there are times where I feel like, well yeah the blue shell is pretty rare. But Green shells might as well be blue shells because of the coins you keep getting in first, you have no defense so a green and red shell are almost just as hard to avoid sometimes. I've never been hit with this many green shells in so little amount of time. Its funny how useless they were in 64, but now they are everywhere.

Online is simply brilliant. Incredibly fast, almost no lag.. you can jump in and jump right out. No more of the nonsense like in Wii online games where you have to wait 10 minutes for the system to "connect to the Nintendo Wi-Fi- connection" or w/e

Roster could be better. The character list is about as uninteresting as it gets.

The course design is great...

#19 Edited by trugs26 (5316 posts) -

Okay just got home from playing at a mates place. We played 4 player through every cup (150cc), in the order of new, retro, new , retro, etc. until we did all the cups.

Favorite track: The waterfall one. It was so fast!

Overall, this is definitely my favorite MK. I noticed since we switched between new and retro, we noticed a distinct change in course design, where the new tracks are just so crazy. It's really awesome. In general, it feels tight, item balance is really good, looks really good, the CPU was tough and smart, and I had a lot of fun playing it.

Interestingly a lot of reviews dissed the new rainbow road. Personally I really enjoyed it. The track begins really wide with nice drifts but then gets really tight towards the end (with no walls!). I preferred it over the N64 one, which I also liked, though it was a bit short.

@KBFloYd: I personally found the karts to be better in general, but there was one kart in particular (can't remember the name) that I unlocked that was quite good. Overall, I found them to be different but all good in their own ways. We'll see how I feel after some more time.

#20 Posted by lamprey263 (23305 posts) -

Great game, I hope Nintendo puts out some thoughtful and meaty DLC for it.

#21 Edited by DraugenCP (8470 posts) -

I played all day yesterday, and I have to say It might be the best MK so far. The anti-gravity, air, and underwater racing certainly aren't gimmicks, as they influence the game dramatically. This can be noticed especially on the retro tracks, which actually feel like new tracks seeing as how much they've changed. The design of the new tracks is out of this world. Current favourites include Bowser's Castle, Toad Harbour, Rainbow Road, Cloudtop Cruise, Bone-Dry Ruins, Twister Mansion and Mount Wario... as you can see I have tough time picking because they're all so amazing.

@KBFloYd The standard bike is actually good due to its balance. I used it to beat most of the 150cc GPs.

#22 Edited by Sepewrath (28691 posts) -

Green shells are overpowered. Honestly there are times where I feel like, well yeah the blue shell is pretty rare. But Green shells might as well be blue shells because of the coins you keep getting in first, you have no defense so a green and red shell are almost just as hard to avoid sometimes. I've never been hit with this many green shells in so little amount of time. Its funny how useless they were in 64, but now they are everywhere.

I don't think the green shells are overpowered, you have to aim them after all. Its just after years, people have gotten better at using them, they have always been a high frequency item.

#23 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8226 posts) -

I don't understand why you can only voice chat with friends and in lobby's u have to use premade phrases that's pretty lame.

#24 Edited by KBFloYd (13293 posts) -

@AutoPilotOn said:

I don't understand why you can only voice chat with friends and in lobby's u have to use premade phrases that's pretty lame.

yea... wii sports club let you create your own phrases....at least let me do that.

#25 Posted by fgjnfgh (2630 posts) -

its my Fzero game Ive always wanted

#26 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4667 posts) -

It is a little more skill based and ppl are right its harder to get ahead once you're behind but I like it

#27 Posted by JustPlainLucas (73624 posts) -

My first impression is that it's Mario Kart 7 on a console. That was my favorite in the series, so it's not necessarily a bad thing, but I was hoping for something more different.

Sonic and All Stars Racing showed that there can be more to a cart racing game then just Grand Prix and battle. Nintendo really needs to learn some lessons from other developers.

I've had this thought. "This should be more like Sonic and All-Stars Racing". Now the anti-grav portions of the tracks are great, and trippy, but it would have been awesome to have an environment changing dynamic where the course is different each time.

My thoughts in general. This obviously is the best looking Mario Kart game, not just on a technical level, but on an artistic level is well. There's just so much detail and little things going on, and the way the camera pans back while you're being shot in the air to reveal things like massive waterfalls. Lighting and textures are amazing as well, and I dare say this is the best looking Wii U game at that.

But yeah, I have a whole list of nitpicks, and they're just that much more grating knowing that Nintendo could make the best Mario Kart game they can, but refuse to do so because they let it sell on name recognition alone. I REALLY want them to stop using half the track roster for reworked retro tracks. At least give several more NEW tracks so it feels more like a fresh game and less like a remix. Also, I just find it funny that they've been trying to promote it more as a skill-based game, but you still get screwed over by objects and that Lakitu puts you back on the track almost as soon as you fall off.

Still, I love what I've played of it so far.

#28 Posted by Buckhannah (293 posts) -

Great game, I hope Nintendo puts out some thoughtful and meaty DLC for it.

They can start with a real battle mode. I would love to recreate the experience I had with this series when I was younger, and the hours of fun we had with Super Mario Kart, and our Mario Kart 64 rentals. (which was much less fun because so many of my cousins had started to "grow out" of gaming)

#29 Posted by Sepewrath (28691 posts) -

I've had this thought. "This should be more like Sonic and All-Stars Racing". Now the anti-grav portions of the tracks are great, and trippy, but it would have been awesome to have an environment changing dynamic where the course is different each time.

But yeah, I have a whole list of nitpicks, and they're just that much more grating knowing that Nintendo could make the best Mario Kart game they can, but refuse to do so because they let it sell on name recognition alone. I REALLY want them to stop using half the track roster for reworked retro tracks. At least give several more NEW tracks so it feels more like a fresh game and less like a remix. Also, I just find it funny that they've been trying to promote it more as a skill-based game, but you still get screwed over by objects and that Lakitu puts you back on the track almost as soon as you fall off.

Still, I love what I've played of it so far.

Well I would have to disagree on some points, Mario Kart is a well established series with its own identity, it should not be ripping ideas from other racers. Let Sonic do his thing and Mario do his thing. When it comes to the tracks, many like myself love the remixed tracks, it would be a shame to see so many great tracks be a one and done, tracks that benefit greatly from new technology applied to them. Lastly, of course your going to get screwed over by items, that's part of the game. But things like Lakitu picking you up faster is making it more skill based. When you get hit with a lightning bolt mid jump in previous games, you were done. That has nothing to do with your skill level, by putting you right back on the track, it lets the race be decided on the track for you, where it should be.

#30 Posted by Aquat1cF1sh (10865 posts) -

I love it to death. It's gorgeous. Favorite tracks so far include in no particular order: Toad Harbor, Shy Guy Falls, Dolphin Shoals, Mount Wario, and Cloudtop Cruise.

The only sort of major complaint I have is that there isn't a map of the course in a corner somewhere on the screen (I'm surprised no one's mentioned this yet, unless I missed it). The only way to see a map of the rest of the course is on the WiiU gamepad, but if you're like me and prefer the Wii remote and nunchuk then you don't get a map at all. Maybe they'll fix that soon.

#31 Edited by Jaysonguy (37602 posts) -

I'll just relay what my girlfriend said about it

"What the hell is this? It looks awful, it's a Wii version at a higher resolution"

"You can't see the track on the screen, they have a horn button?"

"So another title ruined so they could try to justify their gimmicks, God I hate Nintendo"

From my standpoint this is the worst first party Nintendo title I've ever played, it's really pathetic that it looks, sounds, and plays awful compared to other titles

#33 Edited by DraugenCP (8470 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

"What the hell is this? It looks awful, it's a Wii version at a higher resolution"

No, it isn't.

You can see it on the Wii U screen. Not sure what the horn button has to do with anything.

#34 Posted by Jaysonguy (37602 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

No, it isn't.

No, it really is

They threw bloom and shine on everything trying to make it look better

#35 Posted by JordanElek (17782 posts) -

No, it really is

Have you played the cloud track? I watch the full intro to that track every time because it's downright beautiful.

#36 Posted by The-Butcher248 (138 posts) -

I've really enjoyed the time i spent playing this game so far. There are a couple minor complaints i have, but fail in comparison to everything this game does right. If you like the Mario Kart series, I'd be very surprised if you didn't like this installment. Great Visuals, track design, different racers/bikes, etc. The racing portion is top notch. The Battle mode feels different, with the new tracks, instead of courses. I feel like the course should be on the screen too. OVerall i'd say this is about a 9.25/10. A few minor flaws, but overall great experience.

#37 Edited by Toxic-Seahorse (4121 posts) -

@JordanElek said:

@Jaysonguy said:

No, it really is

Have you played the cloud track? I watch the full intro to that track every time because it's downright beautiful.

It's Jaysonguy... Just ignore him.

On topic though, did anyone else find it odd that online doesn't use your NNID but you're Mii name?

#38 Posted by DraugenCP (8470 posts) -

@DraugenCP said:

@Jaysonguy said:

No, it isn't.

No, it really is

Lol. Keep telling yourself that while the rest of us enjoy this beautiful game.

#39 Edited by DraugenCP (8470 posts) -

@JordanElek said:

@Jaysonguy said:

No, it really is

On topic though, did anyone else find it odd that online doesn't use your NNID but you're Mii name?

No, I think that's pretty logical. It's like in Steam, where you have your account name and your profile name. The former is used to log in and give to people you want to connect with, while the latter is displayed in games, and can be changed at any moment.

Suppose your Nintendo ID is your full name and your year of birth. People probably wouldn't want to delve into online games with dozens of random people with such private information. A Mii you can simply change.

#40 Posted by yokofox33 (29407 posts) -

Seems like a good game thus far. I've only played single player on 50cc just to get a feel for the courses, but it's quite fun. Haven't gotten a chance to try out many of the items since 50cc is pretty darn easy and I'm in 1st place most of the race. I'll beef up the cc once I get through all the courses.

#41 Edited by nini200 (9639 posts) -

I LOVE it!!! I REALLY like how they did the Automatic/Manual driving in this one. It meshes them together to where if you want to play auto you can simply by driving normal but if you want to use manual, you play it like Mario Kart has been played for years.

This game is hard though which I also really like. I like how tough the computer is on 150. I didn't even waste my time in 50cc or 100cc although I most likely will have to in order to get everything.

I haven't gotten online yet but I hear it's done very well.

I think the Blue Shell in this one is actually worse than the Wii version because now its a mixture of the N64 Blue Shell that hits everyone and when it gets to first place, it lifts off and flies like the Wii Version.

The Red Shell in this one is actually a bigger threat now because it can basically fly now as well.

I'm SOOOO Glad the bikes were nerfed. The unlimited boost sucked so bad to where you hardly couldn't play online with anything but a bike if you wanted to win. Nerfing the bikes was the BEST thing they have done so far.

I hope they add more stages, items and characters though but so far, Roy Koopa is my main outside of Bowser.

#42 Edited by Tonindo (473 posts) -

I love it, but why isn't there a map on the TV? Why is it displayed only on the gamepad? In off TV mode you don't even have a map. It's frustrating to have to look down on the gamepad and then refocus your eyes on the TV.

#43 Posted by Grieverr (2659 posts) -

Can you customize the layout of the gamepad? Because even then, the map is too small.

This game seriously needs an options menu.

I finally won my first online race, after about 30 or so races. Man, the competition is tough out there! I also feel like I'm slower than other people. Are there stats accompanying all the body parts, wheels, and parachutes? I don't see any, but it's all I can think when someone playing as Luigi passes my Luigi without an obvious mushroom speed boost.

#44 Edited by Tonindo (473 posts) -
#45 Edited by thedude- (2074 posts) -

We will see if it stands the test of time, but I find it very enjoyable.

Pros: Sharp visuals, tight controls, and knockout soundtrack show this to be a real improvement over the other games. I do not think they just played it safe or rested on the mega success of MK name. The anti-graviy and gliding segments significantly add verticality, all along a new dimension to the tracks. This is what will really set this game apart from the numerous other games in the series. The tracks themselves are the biggest stars of the game. Every turn has a new challenge. I do not think its too easy either. I think theres legitimate challenges in 150 CC. Theres also a significant difference in playing real human players.

Cons: Fails to use the GamePad in some obvious ways. Online is better than any Nintendo game has ever done it, but that doesn't mean it isn't still a hassle to link up with friends often having to resort to phone calls. So friends found directly through Miiverse will be extremely difficult to link up with; all you can do is press join to sync up to their matchmaking list. You cannot in game message them and voice chat is limited to friend only lobbies. Nintendo still needs to learn that a good online experience means being able to quickly tether with you friends then quickly jump into a larger matchmaking with similarly ranked human players or just start playing with ranking players and easily let your friend jump in. There needs to be a symmetrical approach to linking up with which players the gamers want to in their interface.

(Is it just me or are the motion controls better this time? Maybe just with the GamePad??)

#46 Edited by Buckhannah (293 posts) -

My thoughts are summed up well by Giant Bomb's Alex Navarro… "that is some Mario Kart ass Mario Kart right there". It's a great entry in the series, on the fundamentals, possibly the best entry ever. It's tough as nails though, I'm playing single player on 100cc, and I'm barely managing second/third consistently with an occasional 1st place finish. But I'm still winning the cups overall because the AI's don't seem to have one dominant "rival" character who is the only one who puts up a fight, so I can still take the trophy home in the fourth race in overall points more times than not.

I like Daisy and Shy Guy the most right now. Still bummed that Dry Bones isn't a playable character.

#47 Posted by DraugenCP (8470 posts) -

@nini200 said:

This game is hard though which I also really like. I like how tough the computer is on 150. I didn't even waste my time in 50cc or 100cc although I most likely will have to in order to get everything.

Actually, that isn't necessary. If you complete a cup in 150cc, the results will automatically transfer to 50 and 100cc. So in order to get everything, you will only need to complete 150cc and Mirror.

#48 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7262 posts) -

I'll just relay what my girlfriend said about it

"So another title ruined so they could try to justify their gimmicks, God I hate Nintendo"

From my standpoint this is the worst first party Nintendo title I've ever played, it's really pathetic that it looks, sounds, and plays awful compared to other titles

Sounds like you two are the perfect couple.

#49 Posted by Grieverr (2659 posts) -

@Tonindo: Cool, thanks! Something so simple, yet easy to miss.

#50 Edited by Toxic-Seahorse (4121 posts) -

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@JordanElek said:

@Jaysonguy said:

No, it really is

No, I think that's pretty logical. It's like in Steam, where you have your account name and your profile name. The former is used to log in and give to people you want to connect with, while the latter is displayed in games, and can be changed at any moment.

Suppose your Nintendo ID is your full name and your year of birth. People probably wouldn't want to delve into online games with dozens of random people with such private information. A Mii you can simply change.

I see what you're saying. I still think it's a bit odd that I made this username that Nintendo games don't want to use. I'd rather have a bunch of unique names in a game than duplicate names all over the place. Also, I'm pretty sure nobody puts personal information in their username anymore. That's like lesson #1 of being online.