What are the gamepad features of ACIV?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by JordanElek (17668 posts) -

If you've played the game, can you describe exactly what the gamepad options are? I've played AC3 on WiiU and thought the gamepad stuff was an okay start but could easily be improved to be really useful.

I can't find a nondismissive description of the gamepad features of ACIV anywhere. It seems reviewers have ignored the WiiU version for the most part. Big surprise. Or maybe Ubisoft didn't even send that version out.

If the gamepad map is more functional than it was in AC3, I'll get the WiiU version. If it's just a copy/paste job or doesn't add anything too useful, I'll wait for the PC version.

#2 Edited by b4il (91 posts) -

the more important question is (as always): will it support the pro controller so nobody has to use that friggin' thing?

#3 Edited by JordanElek (17668 posts) -

@b4il said:

the more important question is (as always): will it support the pro controller so nobody has to use that friggin' thing?

And my search for a nondismissive answer continues.....

#4 Posted by enrique_marrodz (2092 posts) -

I was about to get ACIII but, judging from the videos, this one seems even greater and more expansive so, I also would like to know more real gamers experiences on this, including how the gamepad is used.

Regards!

#5 Posted by KBFloYd (12684 posts) -

my copy should come from bestbuy soon.

on AC3 it was used as a sonar map letting you know which people to talk to.

#6 Posted by KBFloYd (12684 posts) -

@b4il said:

give it a rest bro...the gamepad isnt going anywhere... your pro controller is a peripheral and nothing more.

#7 Edited by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

I still can't find details - professional or from players - about Wii U GamePad features. I guess we'll have to wait a few days... but it's annoying that reviews have failed to mention any Wii U specifics ... or have totally disregarded the Wii U version all together.

Edit: Some comments from the NWR review:

marcel2552

@Patchkid15, got a couple of questions about the wiiu version of black flag.

Q1: Can you set waypoints on the map(on the gamepad screen)?, i know its supported in the companion app. But i would prefer to just make waypoints via the touchscreen of the controller (if thats supported ofc).

Q2: Any framerate issues with the game?, AC3 had a couple of hickups here and there and would like to know of those issues are ironed out.

Patchkid15Patrick Barnett, Associate Editor

@marcel2552

In regards to question one, you cannot set waypoints on the map using the GamePad screen. The only map feature available using this screen while in gameplay is zooming in and out. To access waypoint settings you need to open the map with the (-) button.

As for framerate issues, there may have been one instance when I was being chased down by roughly 30 guards, as there was tons of action going on, on the screen. Other than that, it has seemed pretty flawless.

Seems like it's pretty much just the map on the screen. Also, moving the HUD to the GamePad is also there, but again, save for the Waypoints which is so dumb.

Here's a screenshot someone took of the GamePad on Miiverse:

#8 Edited by superbuuman (2485 posts) -

Wii U version launch at later date?..probably why we haven't heard about it. :P

Correction: Only delayed in European region.

#9 Posted by JordanElek (17668 posts) -

That's almost exactly like AC3.... except for the zoom slider. If that zooms out far enough to see a significant portion of the map, that might be enough to push me over the edge for the WiiU version. I just HATE having to stop the game to check the map so often in AC games.

#10 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12718 posts) -

The framerate's definitely low. Constantly lower than 30 fps the entire time. But after a while your eyes could get used to it.

#11 Edited by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

Around 2:40 the guy briefly shows the map on the screen and how much you can zoom in and out. It's very brief but it's what I could find lol.

#12 Edited by KBFloYd (12684 posts) -

i just played like 40min...

the graphics are much better than AC3...if graphics mean anything to you.

the framerate is a bit choppy but like i said looks great.

the gamepad can be used to take the ugly hud of the main screen...and also the map like was shown above. and offtv play of course.

right from the start...this game is much better to me overall than AC3.

#13 Edited by Pierst179 (10663 posts) -

I am glad to hear all the positive comments.

I did not have great expectations on ACIV, but now I am excited!

#14 Posted by JordanElek (17668 posts) -

Around 2:40 the guy briefly shows the map on the screen and how much you can zoom in and out. It's very brief but it's what I could find lol.

Ugh, that looks really useful. I had already kind of resigned myself to waiting for the PC version, but now I'm torn again. It would be the first truly next-gen game I get for PC, so it would look great and run more smoothly than on WiiU... but that map! It'll save me so much time and frustration!

The PC version isn't out until November 22nd, though. That's a LOT of time for me to have to resist pressing the BUY button on my WiiU. I can't imagine lasting that long.

#15 Posted by moltenix (2482 posts) -

I'll likely pick this up during the inevitable sale during the holidays. Is Wii U version the way to go?

I've traditionally played all the AC games on PS3. If the Wii U performs well, I wouldn't mind making the transition to enjoy some off-tv play.

#16 Posted by JordanElek (17668 posts) -

@moltenix: If your choices are current gen consoles and WiiU, then WiiU is definitely the way to go.

AC3 ran pretty much flawlessly for me on WiiU, except for the frequent loading crashes in the first month before a firmware update fixed it. Having the map on the gamepad, as barebones as it was, was still really convenient. And I used off-tv play A LOT since I was staying with family over the holidays and never wanted to hog the TV for myself. I 100%ed the game thanks to that.

#17 Posted by moltenix (2482 posts) -

Guess i'll go with Wii U version then; i've been hearing good things about it.

Btw, is it weird that i'm enjoying handheld/small screen gameplay versus the TV nowadays? There's nobody to hog my TV yet I still prefer off-TV on the Gamepad or playing 3DS sitting by the computer or lying on the bed.

#18 Edited by JordanElek (17668 posts) -

@moltenix said:

Btw, is it weird that i'm enjoying handheld/small screen gameplay versus the TV nowadays? There's nobody to hog my TV yet I still prefer off-TV on the Gamepad or playing 3DS sitting by the computer or lying on the bed.

It's more comfortable that way. I play all my games, handheld or console or PC, in exactly the same place and position, so it's all the same to me. I even play keyboard/mouse games with a keyboard on my lap and the mouse on something next to me. A good setup goes a long way.

#19 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1234 posts) -

@b4il:

Gamepad is great. Screw the Pro controller.

#20 Edited by Bigboi500 (28782 posts) -

The framerate's definitely low. Constantly lower than 30 fps the entire time. But after a while your eyes could get used to it.

From what I've read around the net the past day or so, people are saying the Wii U version has the highest frame rate of currently available consoles, and no screen-tearing. It seems Wii U>360>PS3 in this case.

#21 Edited by FFCYAN (4920 posts) -

@OreoMilkshake said:

From what I've read around the net the past day or so, people are saying the Wii U version has the highest frame rate of currently available consoles, and no screen-tearing. It seems Wii U>360>PS3 in this case.

I was hoping that was the case. I want ACIV but I was holding off to see which version would be the definitive one. There's no reason the WiiU version couldn't handle ACIV besides developer laziness.