Week 1 -- 1987 is the new 2015--Old Games For A New Year

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba
deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba
Member since 2014 • 322 Posts

A new year brings along new games to play and look forward. While 2015 has a ton of content coming out for every platform (seriously, this is insane...!) it's also a year where I really want to play the older titles-- going back to the 'roots' of gaming, I suppose! It would have made more sense to do so last year since it was an underwhelming year of releases, but I've recently managed to rejuvenate my interest in gaming again (thanks, Bayonetta 2). I hit a rough patch last year where I was totally disinterested with games in general. This year, I plan to change that.

Bayonetta 2--2014's Game of the Year
Bayonetta 2--2014's Game of the Year

My lack of exposure to classic franchises is a problem. I love gaming, how did I go so long without ever playing the original The Legend of Zelda or Castlevania!? I need to play these games at some point. I was born in 1990, which means I really didn't start playing a lot of games until I was about 7 or 8 years old. I grew up with the Nintendo 64 and PlayStation 1, which both had their fill of classics, but I missed out on a lot. Off the top of my head, this is what I missed out on--Final Fantasy, Castlevania, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Mega Man, Metal Gear Solid ... the list goes on. It was only until the PlayStation 2/GameCube/Xbox era where I really started getting into games and even still I was unaware to those beloved franchises, to a certain extent.

Thanks to the likes of the Virtual Console, I now have a method to play these games (legally) all while being portable. The first series that I decided to take on was Mega Man. I wanted to play Mega Man because it's a series I've wanted to play for a while now, and 2014's Shovel Knight got me in the mood to finally visit the games from the Blue Bomber. The original games are all available on the 3DS which is convenient for me. I carry mine around to play on my commute to and from work everyday, so why not! I bought the original Mega Man on the 3DS Virtual Console yesterday and it's been kicking my ass.

I love my Midnight Purple 3DS <3
I love my Midnight Purple 3DS <3

Mega Man is not extremely difficult, but it does make you realize how easy games have become these days. I'm craving a challenge and Mega Man seems to fit the bill so far (until Bloodborne in March). I've defeated all Fireman, Bomb Man, Cut Man and Gut Man so far. I cheated a bit (as advised by @JordanElek) and I looked up the boss order. I did it in the completely wrong order, despite noting down who to tackle first in the 3DS' Game Notes.

From what I've played so far some enemies have a pattern, so you need to learn how to dodge them--like the Killer Bullet enemies from the Bomb Man stage. There's other enemies which you can avoid and some that you can't, and you'll need to learn how to jump at the right time and aim at the right moment. I've found it to be pretty tricky, but the more I've been playing the better I've become at it.

Those Bladers are assholes, for real
Those Bladers are assholes, for real

When I first started to play, I tried running through the levels as quickly as I could, while trying to defeat all the enemies as I rush through the level. I've since changed my tactics because that's obviously not going to work. This is what happens when you're usually an impatient gamer! So it's time for me to learn to be patient and tactful. I've died a lot in the game. Most games these days are pretty lax with little consequence for making mistakes. Clearly, Mega Man is not that kind of game. Seriously though, I'm really bad at these games ... if there was a way to broadcast 3DS games on Twitch, I would--for your entertainment.

I'm also planning on writing a weekly blog about what I've been playing. Ever since I finished school I haven't had a chance to brush up on my writing skills, so why not talk about video games?

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

A weekly blog on here is a good idea, nice write-up! I've been trying to work through older games too lately, there are just so many of them and many are readily available.

You should definitely try out the older final fantasy games, I feel like their structure holds up pretty well, and it's fun seeing where the series started!

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

@haziqagha: Excellent! I didn't realize you missed out on that many of the old games. I've found that a lot of the NES games haven't aged as well as some of the SNES games and some of the challenge in the old games is due to them not controlling well.

Still, definitely start off with NES games so you can then truly appreciate just how amazing the SNES was. There are some amazing NES games but the SNES was the greatest console ever IMO.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of a lot of the classics!

Avatar image for deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba
deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba
Member since 2014 • 322 Posts

@ttualumni13: Yeah I've heard, though I'm not sure how much I'll be able to tolerate those--I've heard they're pretty grindy. Though, I'm open to give it a try.

@roboccs: Yep, when it comes to the NES I've barely played anything! The SNES is full of great stuff, I mean it was only within the last year or two that I actually finished both Super Mario World and A Link to the Past for the first time. I don't think I've even finished the Donkey Kong Country games fully.

I have a lot of catching up to do, clearly!