Using a Wii for classic NES, Super NES, etc

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by JDW_games (1857 posts) -
Does anyone here use the Wii mainly just to purchase and download from the Nintendo online store to play the classic games? It seems a much cheaper and easier way that hunting down cartridges on eBay and used music and game stores.
#2 Posted by marinevetstl (115 posts) -

Does anyone here use the Wii mainly just to purchase and download from the Nintendo online store to play the classic games? It seems a much cheaper and easier way that hunting down cartridges on eBay and used music and game stores. JDW_games

Man,

I have 30 games or so on the Wii VC. I have only 15 on so Wii titles and 6 WiiU titles. I want to download more off Wii VC and WiiU Eshop.

#3 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -

Does anyone here use the Wii mainly just to purchase and download from the Nintendo online store to play the classic games? It seems a much cheaper and easier way that hunting down cartridges on eBay and used music and game stores. JDW_games

A lot of people do that, it's a good idea!

#4 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
I have not used the VC. I don't like the idea of paying $4-10 for a ROM that is tied to a console. Other than really rare, in-demand games, it isn't hard to find most older games in their original format for less than $25. You might get less of them over time, but you get the legal right to make backups, and a physical copy you can resell when and if you wish.
#5 Posted by Los9090 (7288 posts) -
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]I have not used the VC. I don't like the idea of paying $4-10 for a ROM that is tied to a console. Other than really rare, in-demand games, it isn't hard to find most older games in their original format for less than $25. You might get less of them over time, but you get the legal right to make backups, and a physical copy you can resell when and if you wish.

Yeah, that's a good point. But a lot of those games that I missed out on in the 90s I can download them to the Wii and spend a lot less money than if I were to buy a hard copy.
#6 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Yeah, that's a good point. But a lot of those games that I missed out on in the 90s I can download them to the Wii and spend a lot less money than if I were to buy a hard copy.Los9090
Being able to wait for good deals to turn up on online auction sites can be extremely good for the wallet. It's hard, when you can get games for a fraction of their physical price on the VC, but owning original copies, and being able to do with them as you please is extremely fulfilling as a game collector. If Nintendo tied the VC to an account, whether a number or a name, I wouldn't have a problem with the service. The fact it is tied to the console, and cannot be moved (barring sending it to Nintendo with the new one) is a really big issue for me, more than the whole non-physical copy thing (as I use the XBLA on a regular basis). Most games, outside the really rare, or in really high demand, are generally about $30 these days, for a copy in good condition. That isn't expensive in the slightest. One just needs to know where to look. Some brick and mortar resellers like to gouge customers by buying online and marking them up astronomically (saw a used copy of Super Mario RPG in the original box for $125 once, when they normally cost about $50-60 for just the game).
#7 Posted by goblaa (19304 posts) -

No, there's way too many great wii games to JUST DL old stuff. I do both.

#8 Posted by KBFloYd (13684 posts) -

i have a huge classic game collection on my wii i refuse to transfer to my wiiU...why?

controller adaptors...

i recommend these..

for nes this

for snes this ...dont use this for nes..the port doesnt fit..

for n64 this you can choose different button configurations easily..which is neededto play some n64 games.

for genesis and master system this

#9 Posted by JDW_games (1857 posts) -
Thanks for the input guys. I find that a lot of classic games for NES, Super NES, and N64 are pretty pricey on eBay etc. Especially if you want one in nice shape that you know will work. I was just considering picking a Wii up again to play some of the classics cause I miss a lot of those games. Not quite sure if I'm sold on the WiiU yet :/
#10 Posted by Jaysonguy (37647 posts) -

but you get the legal right to make backupsZeviander

Nope, that never happened

#11 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Nope, that never happenedJaysonguy
Just because Nintendo doesn't like it doesn't make it illegal. If you own the physical copy, you can make as many backups as you want, so long as they remain within your possession and are not distributed for profit.