Ubisoft - "Watch Dogs will be our last mature Wii U title"

#1 Edited by Grieverr (2739 posts) -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-19-ubisoft-watch-dogs-is-the-last-mature-game-planned-for-wii-u

"[Watch Dogs] is coming to Wii U... It will be the only mature game we publish on it," Guillemot told Game Informer. "What we see is that Nintendo customers don't buy Assassin's Creed. Last year, we sold in very small numbers."

That quote really got under my skin. I can assure Mr. Guillemot that watch Dogs will sell poorly on the Wii U as well. Not because the gamers don't want it. But what do they expect from people who want to play the latest hit? Do they expect Wii U owners to just wait a year? No! Wii U owners have already played it on their PS4/XB1 or at a friend's.

These guys can't be THAT dense, right? They should know that releasing games that are already available elsewhere won't lead to huge sales. And again, the blame goes to the Wii U and it's customers.

#2 Posted by Jaysonguy (37687 posts) -

The blame is squarely on the Wii U and it's users, man up

People didn't buy Assassin's Creed, they're not going to buy Watchdogs

Also the idea that "we had to wait blah blah blah" is pathetic. There's more work on the Wii U to make an inferior game compared to every other platform. If you didn't want to deal with these kinds of things you shouldn't have purchased a Wii U and you you certainly shouldn't be defending Nintendo anymore.

#3 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7493 posts) -

Assassin's Creed didn't sell on Wii U last year? The one with no DLC support? Wow, blows my mind!

I don't get how publishers can be so deluded. Wii U owners tend to own another platform and they're not going to buy a version that gives them less value. Releasing a major 3rd party game late practically guarantees that it won't sell. Not only will it probably lack DLC support, but everyone who wanted to play it already did. Even if those same people had a Wii U and wanted the game for Wii U, they can assume from recent history that the version coming to Nintendo's platform won't receive equal treatment, or won't come at all. So, they get it for another system and Ubisoft blames the customers and/or the sales numbers.

#4 Edited by Sgt_Crow (4407 posts) -

Then I'll stop backing Ubisoft. I always buy their games (own all of their Wii U games), even though we Nintendo-console owners usually get the shorter end of the stick...

#5 Edited by ANIMEguy10034 (4770 posts) -

It's a real damn shame, but not in the least bit surprising. Most people buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games.

Watch_Dogs didn't have much hope on Wii U. If it was released on May 27th, it would have competed with Mario Kart 8, and if Wii U owners had to choose one, most would have still bought MK8. Even if the Wii U version of Watch_Dogs is released with cool gamepad features and extra content, it'll still sell like crap because everyone who wanted the game already bought it months ago. Developers skimp the Wii U ports because they won't bother spending extra money and resources for a game that won't exceed expectations in sales, and Wii U owners will rather buy the game on a different console because the Wii U version is lacking. Developers blame Wii U owners and Wii U owners blame developers. The cycle goes on until third party support is dead. Ubisoft's decline in support is not shocking because almost everyone treats the Wii U as a secondary console. I wonder how well Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third will sell.

#6 Edited by superbuuman (2903 posts) -

Never got into Ass Creed...didn't buy it on PS3 or PC either. I did get Splinter Cell: Blacklist Wii U released around similar time as others (a week later than the others, I think). Still waiting on Watch Dogs Wii U..better release soon....I said it before if Ubi release it years after at $79AUD ...when I can get say PS3/PC version for $29AUD or less, then Ubi can take their Wii U version & shove it up their arse. Even by next year the price would already be less on other systems...then Ubi wants Wii U owners to pay full price? :P

#7 Posted by Grieverr (2739 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

Also the idea that "we had to wait blah blah blah" is pathetic. There's more work on the Wii U to make an inferior game compared to every other platform. If you didn't want to deal with these kinds of things you shouldn't have purchased a Wii U and you you certainly shouldn't be defending Nintendo anymore.

Can't blame the Wii U when the PS360 got a port and you can't blame the users when the game is not available to purchase at it's peak interest level - release.

Why is the idea of waiting pathetic? Do you not think Wii U owners that wanted to play this game probably have by now, therefore not choosing to wait, and so there's no need to buy it? When there is a game you want to play, do you wait as long as possible before buying it?

Lastly, I'm not defending Nintendo, I'm pointing out this flaw of publishers saying things don't sell on Nintendo without looking at what it is they're offering as a reason for the lack of sales.

#8 Posted by superbuuman (2903 posts) -

@ANIMEguy10034 said:
I wonder how well Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third will sell.

Will mostlikely be as well as The Wonderful 101 unfortunately. (Though I hope Bayo 2 do well) :P

#9 Posted by Jaysonguy (37687 posts) -

@Grieverr said:

@Jaysonguy said:

Can't blame the Wii U when the PS360 got a port and you can't blame the users when the game is not available to purchase at it's peak interest level - release.

Why is the idea of waiting pathetic? Do you not think Wii U owners that wanted to play this game probably have by now, therefore not choosing to wait, and so there's no need to buy it? When there is a game you want to play, do you wait as long as possible before buying it?

Lastly, I'm not defending Nintendo, I'm pointing out this flaw of publishers saying things don't sell on Nintendo without looking at what it is they're offering as a reason for the lack of sales.

Yes you can blame the Wii U, WTF?

The 360 has been around for 8 years now, they can code for that in their sleep.

The Wii U has been around 2 years and comes from a company that's stingy when it comes to helping other devs work on their hardware.

Waiting for games is part of being a Nintendo console owner, there is no alternative.

#10 Edited by PikachuDude860 (878 posts) -

A lot of people probably saw this coming. It's a shame, but understandable.

Honestly, I think Watch_Dogs is Ubisoft's excuse to stop making games for Wii U. After it comes out and bombs, they'll probably blame Nintendo fans and their games will start to fade away.

Maybe if 3rd parties tried harder and stop leaving out features and DLC maybe they'd sell better.

Nintendo is also to blame. They need to make more of an effort to get 3rd party support back...But how are they supposed to do that exactly? Paying 3rd parties isn't going to work...

#11 Posted by Jaysonguy (37687 posts) -

@pikachudude860 said:

Maybe if 3rd parties tried harder and stop leaving out features and DLC maybe they'd sell better.

So you want devs to work harder on the Wii U than they do anywhere else and make no extra money?

Really?

Also leaving out DLC and features? You can thank Nintendo's weak hardware for that

#12 Edited by PikachuDude860 (878 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: Not harder than they do anywhere else. Just harder.

Why do those 3rd party games fail to sell on Wii U? Because Nintindo gamers don't buy those kind of games? That could be it. Or it could be because they don't have a good reason to buy them over the other versions. Just look at them. No DLC. No Collectors Editions. No marketing. The version may come out later than the others. Nothing to take advantage of the system's features.

Why would You or I or anyone else buy the Wii U version when it's inferior to the other versions? You can blame it on the hardware, but gamepad features. Miiverse and other things could make up for the graphics. Maybe devs could have exclusive Nintendo themed DLC? I'm not just talking about Ubisoft, I mean all of them. EA, WB, Bethesda, Activision, Capcom and even Sega.

I don't expect something like that to sell MILLIONS...But it could be potentially profitable. It would also help Wii U sales which could lead to MORE profit.

Nintendo could also try harder to get 3rd party support back. But like I siad, how can they? They can't afford to just throw money around...That would do more harm than good.

Also leaving out DLC and features? You can thank Nintendo's weak hardware for that

Then why is Call Of Duty Black Ops 2's DLC finally coming to Wii U after all this time? Plus the DLC is on the PS3 and 360.

#13 Posted by nini200 (9827 posts) -

So what exactly is the solution to this? A lot of people point fingers but hardly anyone provides a reasonable solution.

#14 Posted by Grieverr (2739 posts) -

Ideally, the solution would be for one developer to put a high profile game on the Wii U (at the same time as the PS360), possibly enhancing it (like with Need For Speed Most Wanted) and support it with DLC and marketing.

That would give Wii U users an opportunity to buy a current game and support the developers by buying DLC and talking about it on Miiverse. Hopefully, that would become a cycle. Bayonetta 2 may be the game that mostly follows what I wrote above. Let's see how that does.

Realistically, though, I don't think the Wii U will get any meaningful 3rd party support going forward. The damage has been done. People are adopting the new consoles very quickly and the devs will soon stop making games for the PS360 and PS4/X1.

#15 Posted by farrell2k (6364 posts) -

Oh, well. I guess WiiU owners will have to get by on just playing Nintendo games, you know, the games they actually bought the console to play, anyway....

#16 Posted by Jaysonguy (37687 posts) -

@nini200 said:

So what exactly is the solution to this? A lot of people point fingers but hardly anyone provides a reasonable solution.

There's no solution

Nintendo should take this very seriously. Ubisoft was the only dev to really work with them. Nintendo's greed and arrogance has damaged that working relationship.

Things have to change for Nintendo, they can't keep doing this.

#17 Posted by KBFloYd (13830 posts) -

its all nintendos fault....they treat 3rd parties like shit...so of course all nintendo owners do the same.

just leading by example.

#18 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7493 posts) -

@nini200: For Wii U, there is no solution. Nintendo will have to rethink their approach and try again with their next system.

#19 Posted by mariokart97 (837 posts) -

Good. Honestly Assassins Creed is garbage, atleast the 3rd one which I played myself and can say I regretted the purchase. Maybe "Black flag" was better so I won't comment on that since I haven't played it but the 3rd one with the freaking colonial times setting? Cmon no one liked that.

Please enlighten me on the last stellar Ubisoft game?.....

And besides I already own Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge and that game is quite violent and I love the game, can't say anything about the sales though. Screw it I'll be playing Devil's Third on Wii U while simultaneously missing out on the truly must have Ubisoft games during 2015....Sarcasm at the end there folks

#20 Posted by PikachuDude860 (878 posts) -

@Grieverr: @nini200: At this point, I think Nintendo's best bet is to somehow secure some 3rd party exclusives. (More like Bayonetta 2, Devil's Third and Sonic Boom) When all is said and done, exclusive games is what differentiates consoles. Most consoles have the same 3rd party multiplats. But since the Wii U won't be getting those multiplats, it's up to the exclusives. I guarantee that the majority of Wii U owners (Myself included) have a second console. So maybe 3rd party support isn't that big of a deal for most users. Also, I doubt that Nintendo cares whether or not most people see it as a primary or secondary console. All they should care about is how it sells.

With that being said, maybe the best focus for Nintendo is to keep doing what their doing now. Keep bringing the games. Maybe improve the online gameplay some more. Maybe bring out some more new IPs. 3rd party games may not sell systems. They'd help...But I think we all can agree that it's games like Starfox, Zelda U, Mario Kart and Smash Bros that sells systems. Those kind of games are what's best for the Wii U right now.

Nintendo needs to do something about the 3rd parties. But they should probably try to secure 3rd party support for the next console rather than the Wii U.

#21 Edited by superbuuman (2903 posts) -

@nini200 said:

Get back to building relationship with 3rd parties...Nintendo can no longer just "build a console" then just go hey 3rd parties - you make games for it, if you don't then screw you attitude, & embrace the internet. Nowadays 3rd parties don't need Nintendo but Nintendo needs 3rd parties.

Do away with gimmick controllers *different way to play* crap, don't try to fix what's essentially is not broken. Wii U should be a wake up call for them..nearly every game so far they've release falls below their sales expectation..Mario Kart & NSMBU? are the only ones that did well. If Nintendo can't eat the humble pie then they need to buy out more studios (Capcom) :P ...though they can only prepare & change with their next system though..Wii U is kaput. :P

#22 Posted by Bardock47 (5316 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@pikachudude860 said:

So you want devs to work harder on the Wii U than they do anywhere else and make no extra money?

Really?

BHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Please tell me you're trolling! Leaving out DLC because the hardware is too weak? That literally makes no sense.

#23 Posted by bunchanumbers (1397 posts) -

It's pretty easy. Nintendo needs to offer full realtime support for developers. They need a army of translators on call at all times so if a developer in the states has a issue they can talk with Nintendo support without waiting forever. They also need to offer support with developing games on a support basis. Show developers some of the tips and tricks to the hardware that they know. This would go a long way towards getting the most out of the system. And if all else fails they could offer to codevelop tricky games for a modest fee or for publishing rights. Nintendo needs to do things like this to get more developers to not be afraid to make a game for the system.

#24 Posted by MirkoS77 (7619 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@nini200 said:

There's no solution

Nintendo should take this very seriously. Ubisoft was the only dev to really work with them. Nintendo's greed and arrogance has damaged that working relationship.

Things have to change for Nintendo, they can't keep doing this.

As long as Iwata and co stays, they are going to keep doing this. If things change, they will change so slowly as to be irrelevant. I think Nintendo's in real danger the further and further they go into the future. It's like they're kicking and screaming, throwing a tantrum against an ever increasing tide. They don't want to evolve out of the 90s and 00s.

Many companies, some that were around for many generations, have gone under and I truly believe Nintendo may be in danger of becoming one of those unless they enact radical changes to their core business (or get lucky with yet another Wii phenomenon). Yes, they're sitting on a lot of money and assets right now, but you'd be amazed how quickly that can vanish. It'll be fascinating to watch.

#25 Posted by trugs26 (5577 posts) -

So.... they're still releasing WD on Wii U? YES! Good news then :P

#26 Posted by Jaysonguy (37687 posts) -

@Bardock47 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@pikachudude860 said:

Really?

BHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Please tell me you're trolling! Leaving out DLC because the hardware is too weak? That literally makes no sense.

Congratulations on not understanding how things like this work in the gaming industry.

With your lack of knowledge you're now firmly in place to follow Iwata at Nintendo

#27 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7493 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

Congratulations on not understanding how things like this work in the gaming industry.

With your lack of knowledge you're now firmly in place to follow Iwata at Nintendo

Congratulations on explaining why he is wrong in such an intricate, informative, and complete way. He, and everyone else here, get to move on with refined knowledge of how the industry works - all thanks to your masterful posting skills and unwavering attention to detail.

#28 Posted by Jaysonguy (37687 posts) -

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

Congratulations on explaining why he is wrong in such an intricate, informative, and complete way. He, and everyone else here, get to move on with refined knowledge of how the industry works - all thanks to your masterful posting skills and unwavering attention to detail.

I already explained it up there!

#29 Edited by lamprey263 (24205 posts) -

I'd rather they make a Zombie U 2 instead of making any multiplats.

#30 Posted by osan0 (12746 posts) -

@nini200:

if you own a wiiu then buy more 3rd party games for the wiiu. even if its not as good as the other versions if 3rd parties see a return on their wiiu version of games then they will put more time into them.

also buy less nintendo games. an odd thing to say perhaps but if nintendo are seeing that they are making less money on games and more people are playing 3rd party software on their platform then they will have to go the extra mile to get 3rd parties on board.

the bitter pill here is paying the same as (or in some cases more than) everyone else for an inferior version until 3rd parties get the message.

its a very nasty spiral and all 3 parties involved (nintendo, 3rd parties themselves and nintendos customers) are guilty of continuing to feed this spiral. when nintendo customers ignore great games like red steel 2 (where ubisoft, to their credit, really gave it the beans. amazing game.) and buy games like just dance (which probably cost ubisoft 50c and an afternoon to make) then thats a very clear message.

then when you have EA releasing ME3 at full price on the wiiu and the whole trilogy on every other platform except the wiiu that is a clear F-U to wiiu owners. who in their right mind is going to buy the wiiu version when they have a choice?

and nintendo dont provide the platform for developers to conduct their business. simple example: no HDD as standard. sure you can attach an external one (which ideally should have its own power supply. poor oversight by nintendo) but thats another expense and hassle. on every other platform publishers can be confident that the user can just pop on to whatever store, click buy, download the content and get on with playing it. there is a good bit of space on those platforms. the wiiu, at best, comes with 32GB. its so tiny that even lego city needs a HDD for people who want to download it. if someone has already filled their wiiu and are thinking of buying DLC...do you think they are going to get a HDD, attach it, format it and then start playing it? chances are they will look at the task and go "nah...wont bother". god help any developer making an MMO on the wiiu. a HDD also brings other benefits. i would love to know nintendos thought process on why leaving out a HDD was a good idea.

as i say i other threads...poersonally i think nintendo should stop trying to pursue them. no one comes out a winner with the whole shambles. i think everyone would be better served if nintendo just focused on supporting select 3rd party exclusives (if its multiplat it wont sell on the wiiu) and increasing their own development capacity.

#31 Posted by chimchargirl (88 posts) -

@YearoftheSnake5: it is a bad idea. The wiiu problem is that it need more games.

Nintendo should make more games, they should sell wiiu for more time.

If nintendo make other console in this moments:

1 the new console would have the same problems than wiiu ( it would need more games). This problems with thirds wont end with wiiu, if wiiu dont sell, they wont make games in the next nintendo console.

2 if the people who buy wiiu feel bad, they wont buy next console.

#32 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7493 posts) -

@chimchargirl: I never said Nintendo needs to crank out a new system immediately. I've said numerous times in the past that such a move would be disastrous because it would alienate their most loyal fans. However, the prospect of Nintendo luring 3rd parties back in for the Wii U seems to be out of reach. No Assassin's Creed, Mortal Kombat, Far Cry, Madden, Fifa, Mass Effect, Batman, Battlefront, Battlefield, or future Watch_Dogs games should be expected on the system. Nintendo screwed up really bad with 3rd parties and they're beyond the point where they can court them back in. Even Call of Duty is skipping the system this year.

The best way Nintendo can get 3rd party support back is to really work at their next system. Get the hardware and marketing right. Learn from their mistakes. In their current position, they must support the Wii U as best they can and drag it through this generation. When the time is right, they'll drop it like they did Gamecube and move on to the next thing.

#33 Posted by chimchargirl (88 posts) -

@YearoftheSnake5: ok. Im sorry.

#34 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7493 posts) -

@chimchargirl said:

ok. Im sorry.

It's all good. :)

#35 Posted by The-Butcher248 (168 posts) -

I don't see what the big deal is... Ubisoft is in the business to make games, and generate money. They came out and said the "mature" Wii U titles aren't selling, thus they are adjusting what products will get developed for it. At least Ubisoft tired. Hopefully Ubisoft can produce games, that WILL sell on the Wii U.