top 10 recommendations for a person new to the Wii brand

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11512 Posts

The Wii U has this awesome little feature known as backwards compatibility so when you buy the console you get access to years of games before it. So what 10 games would you recommend someone play if they never touched a Wii or Wii U?

10) Metroid Other M (while it had a few pitfalls, this game is still rather good. It was much closer to classic Metroids than the Prime games bringing some of the action back and the hidden collectibles were extremely enjoyable to figure out with a combination of chine sparking and screw attacking. Playing it on hard mode was a welcome challenge and I enjoyed completing it)

9) Super Smash Bros. Brawl (This game is a multiplayer must, but you guys already knew that)

8) Super Mario Bros.U+Luigi U (The New Super Mario Bros. Series has always supported some great design and challenge and I must say the Wii U version and its DLC are the best available. The Level design is on point and God help those who intend to master the challenge mode or 100% Luigi U)

7) Punch-Out!! (I love this series and this game is a fantastic entry. Exceptionally well designed fighters with so much depth that you'll be finding little nuances about them for hours. The challenge mode is now an absolute necessity for the franchise. I became quite addicted to it and have completed every single challenge the game threw at me)

6) Metroid Prime 3 Corruption (It's more Metroid Prime and it's excellent. It might be a bit more streamlined than most would like, but the improved controls and the brilliant Valhalla idea make up for that.)

5) Super Mario Galaxy 2 (while the first Mario Galaxy was enjoyable enough, it felt like the developers played it really safe with their level designs. They didn't go too far with the concepts. That's where the sequel comes in. It's level designs were far sharper and way more creative/original. The variety supplies far more range and the breadth of ideas is staggering. The first galaxy game was made entirely obsolete by this one)

4) Super Mario 3D World (This is just a superb Mario game with perhaps the tightest level design of any of its 3D counterparts. It's the first Mario game in a while to truly excite me with the thought that there is a secret around every corner. It rekindled a child like sense of wonder I haven't felt in a while)

3) The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword (there has never been a zelda more enjoyable or more replayable in my books. There is just so much content and variety that you'll have an absolute blast for well over 30 hours of content. The pitch perfect motion controls improve the series a great deal and are worth the price of admission alone)

2) Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (I've never played a better platformer in my life. It does everything I could ever ask from the genre. Exceptional level design, perfect controls, brilliant secrets, harsh challenge, and speed run leaderboards)

1) Pikmin 3+DLC (this is a game of near endless replayability and genius design. Trying to platinum the many challenge levels take a great deal of strategy and.conviction, but there is no greater reward than to finally succeed after countless replays and adjustments of your strategy. The replay feature is a brilliant addition and the greater ability to multitask through an extra leader and through tasks that Pikmin can now do unsupervised just add to the complexity and brilliance. Nobody should ignore this masterpiece)

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#3 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  2. Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
  3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze & Returns
  4. Metroid Prime Trilogy
  5. Xenoblade Chronicles
  6. The Last Story
  7. Pikmin 3
  8. Red Steel 2
  9. Super Mario 3D World
  10. MadWorld

I lobed two games into the #3 and #4 slots because they felt like continuations.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

no more heroes 1

new play control pikmnin 1 &2

metroid prime trilogy

resident evil remake archives

mario galaxy 1

call of duty

tomb raider anniversary

star wars force unleashed 1

endless ocean 1

super smash bros

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

I had a hard time with skyward sword but mostly because it was my first wii game and I'm left handed

AlCapwnUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AlCapwnUK
Member since 2009 • 133 Posts

Metroid Prime Trilogy

Mario Galaxy 1 and 2

Wii Sports Resort

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44485 Posts

I'd agree by saying Metoid Other M was still pretty fun, no Prime but still pretty good.

eBOOM_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 eBOOM_88
Member since 2014 • 59 Posts

@YearoftheSnake5 said:
  4. Metroid Prime Trilogy
  5. Xenoblade Chronicles
  6. The Last Story
  7. Pikmin 3
  8. Red Steel 2
  9. Super Mario 3D World
  10. MadWorld

I lobed two games into the #3 and #4 slots because they felt like continuations.

Thats a damn good list! +1

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11512 Posts

@YearoftheSnake5 said:
  4. Metroid Prime Trilogy
  5. Xenoblade Chronicles
  6. The Last Story
  7. Pikmin 3
  8. Red Steel 2
  9. Super Mario 3D World
  10. MadWorld

If there was one game on the Wii who's controls just didn't work for me, it was Red Steel 2. It had very little to do with the controller and everything to do with the bad control scheme. Why would you make the thing you point at the screen to look at where you're going the same thing you have to wave around to attack?

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#10 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Top ten Wii games

1. Xenoblade

2. Brawl

3. Super Mario Galaxy 2

4. super Mario galaxy

5. Silent Hill Shattered Memories

6. Okami

7. No More Heroes

8. The Last Story

9. No More Heroes 2

10. New Super Mario Bros Wii

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#11 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

If there was one game on the Wii who's controls just didn't work for me, it was Red Steel 2. It had very little to do with the controller and everything to do with the bad control scheme. Why would you make the thing you point at the screen to look at where you're going the same thing you have to wave around to attack?

I never had a problem with the controls. Red Steel 1, on the other hand......*shivers*. I suppose it's a preference thing.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#12 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

I never had a problem with the controls. Red Steel 1, on the other hand......*shivers*. I suppose it's a preference thing.

I loved Red Steel 2. It's one of the most straight up fun action games I've ever played, although it does have some poor design choices. But in combat? more fun than a good old fashioned shit.