Too many controllers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts

I think this is one of the many reasons the WiiU isn't selling so great. There's at least 5 different controller types you can use, and certain games only support certain types. It's confusing and annoying, especially if you're doing local multiplayer and everyone has a different button layout (good luck finding out how to do stuff). I hope for Nintendo's next console is actually simple instead of just marketed as simple

Serbine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Serbine
Member since 2005 • 10934 Posts

@istuffedsunny: Not to mention getting said controllers can be pricy, seriously that cash could go toward more game instead lol.

P.S. I know the feeling, I bought The Wonderful 101 hoping to play multiplayer mode with family *since I got one Wiimote, my nephews have two*, but couldn't due to not having two Wii C1assic Controller Pro/or two Wii U Pro Controller, would be great if each game support all control types to save us the trouble.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

It's certainly confusing at first, but it also helps that I didn't have to buy a bunch of extra controllers after the Wii era, plus it gives people tons of options. Being able to play Mario 3D World with any controller you want is a pretty cool feature.

Serbine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Serbine

Can't argue with that, kind of wish I had 3D World right about now but I'll get it eventually, haven't actually played the Wii U much yet *trying to work through a few Wii games*.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#5 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Hm, that sure is a little disappointing. I was hoping you could play any Wii-U game out of the box using the tablet controller, but I guess not?

Come to think of it, what all comes with a Wii-U out of the box? Does it include a Wii mote U and nunchuck? And how many pro controllers do you need to buy?

This is an issue.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#6 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

OVIREW EVERY FREAKIN GAME CAN BE PLAYED WITH THE GAMEPAD OUT OF THE BOX WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT , EVERY GAME I OWN AT LEAST DOES , AND TO THE ONES COMPLAINING IM PRETTY DARN CERTAIN 100 MILLION PEOPLE HAVE WII MOTES ALREADY LAYING AROUND , SO WHAT IS THERE TO BUY AGAIN OH JUST THE PRO CONTROLLER MOVING ON

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

@mariokart64fan said:

OVIREW EVERY FREAKIN GAME CAN BE PLAYED WITH THE GAMEPAD OUT OF THE BOX WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT , EVERY GAME I OWN AT LEAST DOES , AND TO THE ONES COMPLAINING IM PRETTY DARN CERTAIN 100 MILLION PEOPLE HAVE WII MOTES ALREADY LAYING AROUND , SO WHAT IS THERE TO BUY AGAIN OH JUST THE PRO CONTROLLER MOVING ON

Woah there. Someone really loves their caps lock key. :P

On topic: I would say the use of Wii Remotes on Wii U games contributed to the confusion that was caused by Nintendo's poor marketing. Many people saw the Wii U has an optional peripheral because early advertisements mostly focused on the gamepad and still showed actors playing with Wii remotes.

Serbine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Serbine

@Ovirew said:

Hm, that sure is a little disappointing. I was hoping you could play any Wii-U game out of the box using the tablet controller, but I guess not?

Come to think of it, what all comes with a Wii-U out of the box? Does it include a Wii mote U and nunchuck? And how many pro controllers do you need to buy?

This is an issue.

From what I've experience so far all games work with the Wii U Pad *tablet*, what I meant was for the case of The Wonderful 101 in order to play multiplayer mode, you need to either have 3 Wiimote Plus w/ Wii CC Pro attach to them *total that like 180 bucks, Wiimote Plus being $40 and Wii CC pro being $20* or buy 3 Wii U Pro Controller each being $50 for a total of 150 bucks, so in other words it not cheap at all and for games that have up to five player it even more, another thing certain games might work with the Wii U Pro Controller but not the Wii CC Pro or vice versa so that an issue.

To answer your question I brought the Wii U Deluxe Wind Waker Bundle, which come with a codes to download Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and Zelda Historia from the eshop, beside the HDMI cable and other thing you need to hook it up, come with a Wii U stand *If you wanna have your Wii U standing up*, one Wii U Pad *tablet*, Wii U Pad charger, and a Wii U Pad stand *so you can charge it while it in the stand* to go with it.

The Wii U doesn't come with any Wiimote Plus w/ Nunchuk so gotta buy those if you're a newcomer, wish it atleast came with a Pro controller too, for those time when you just wanna leave the Wii U Pad charging up but still wanna continue playing your game, or just in the mood to use a regular gamepad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#10 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@Serbine said:

@Ovirew said:

This is an issue.

From what I've experience so far all games work with the Wii U Pad *tablet*, what I meant was for the case of The Wonderful 101 in order to play multiplayer mode, you need to either have 3 Wiimote Plus w/ Wii CC Pro attach to them *total that like 180 bucks, Wiimote Plus being $40 and Wii CC pro being $20* or buy 3 Wii U Pro Controller each being $50 for a total of 150 bucks, so in other words it not cheap at all and for games that have up to five player it even more, another thing certain games might work with the Wii U Pro Controller but not the Wii CC Pro or vice versa so that an issue.

To answer your question I brought the Wii U Deluxe Wind Waker Bundle, which come with a codes to download Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and Zelda Historia from the eshop, beside the HDMI cable and other thing you need to hook it up, come with a Wii U stand *If you wanna have your Wii U standing up*, one Wii U Pad *tablet*, Wii U Pad charger, and a Wii U Pad stand *so you can charge it while it in the stand* to go with it.

The Wii U doesn't come with any Wiimote Plus w/ Nunchuk so gotta buy those if you're a newcomer, wish it atleast came with a Pro controller too, for those time when you just wanna leave the Wii U Pad charging up but still wanna continue playing your game, or just in the mood to use a regular gamepad.

Aha, thanks for responding. I guess I have one other question though. I seem to recall that you could use two tablet controllers with one Wii-U console, but I have no idea. Do any/all Wii-U games enable 2 players to play together using their own tablet controller, or do other players have to use wiimotes or classic controllers? And how much does the stand-alone tablet controller cost these days, if they are sold that way?

I guess it's not a big issue, I could still probably get some wiimotes and classic controllers at some point, and it would sure be cheaper. I'm just wondering.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@istuffedsunny: Nintendo is awful in this department. Seriously we have wiimote, wiimote sideways, wiimote + nunchuk, classic controller, classic controller pro, wii u pro controller, it's just too much. Uhg.

If they're gonna make all these controllers, they should make them available for ALL the games they put out. No excuse. They even knew they were wrong because when the Pro Controller was released, it wasn't compatible with so many games. Then they patched it after complaints and look now- virtually every game is available to use with it.

I love Nintendo, love their games, and been a fan all my life. But PS3 and sony in general beats it in this area-- all I gotta do is pick up the controller, turn on the system and play any PS3 game I own with that same controller. Nintendo, please take notes.

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts

@jcrame10:

Don't PS Move games require the PS move controller?

Secondly, don't all Wii U games (thus far anyhow) work with the gamepad controller. Furthermore, don't they all also work for the Wii U Pro controller as well? If so, then buying 3 more of those for $150 would be no different from having to spend $100+ on 3 extra PS3 controllers for local multiplayer.

It is only in cases where you want to play original Wii games that the wiimote + nunchuck/ classic controller pro issue factors in, as with the PS3 when playing PS Move games.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

I like it for local multiplayer. I had leftover controllers from last era.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jcrame10

@Raptor_Herc: i dont have any games that require the ps move or move controller. that's the nice thing about playstation..the motion is optional. even in some games where the regular ps3 controller uses motion (like ratchet and clank, sly cooper) you can go into the options and turn it off in favor of just using the analog sticks/buttons

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Raptor_Herc

@jcrame10 said:

@Raptor_Herc: i dont have any games that require the ps move or move controller. that's the nice thing about playstation..the motion is optional. even in some games where the regular ps3 controller uses motion (like ratchet and clank, sly cooper) you can go into the options and turn it off in favor of just using the analog sticks/buttons

Actually, there are PS Move games which do in fact require the PS Move: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Move_games. Therefore, Playstation is also guilty in this regard, albeit to a lesser degree.

Good thing the Wii U is not pushing motion control this time around. Because of this, I think that one will only ever need the Pro controller for local multi.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#16 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

All supported controllers are listed on the game boxes. If it's a downloaded title, you can find a list of supported controllers in the digital manual along with button layouts. Everything is pretty well explained, imo.

Serbine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Serbine

@Ovirew said:

@Serbine said:

@Ovirew said:

This is an issue.

Aha, thanks for responding. I guess I have one other question though. I seem to recall that you could use two tablet controllers with one Wii-U console, but I have no idea. Do any/all Wii-U games enable 2 players to play together using their own tablet controller, or do other players have to use wiimotes or classic controllers? And how much does the stand-alone tablet controller cost these days, if they are sold that way?

I guess it's not a big issue, I could still probably get some wiimotes and classic controllers at some point, and it would sure be cheaper. I'm just wondering.

I heard *more like read lol* it can support up to 2 Wii U Pad *tablet*, but as of right now there no games that actually support 2 at once *also I think because of this, they not selling standalone Wii U Pad*, who know during E3 Nintendo might announce something that support 2 Wii U Pad *as they mention before they wanna make it more of a focus in game*, so basically it just one person using the U Pad while everyone else use Wiimote Plus w/ Nunchuk or Wii U Pro Controller.

Serbine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Serbine

@Raptor_Herc said:

@jcrame10:

Don't PS Move games require the PS move controller?

Secondly, don't all Wii U games (thus far anyhow) work with the gamepad controller. Furthermore, don't they all also work for the Wii U Pro controller as well? If so, then buying 3 more of those for $150 would be no different from having to spend $100+ on 3 extra PS3 controllers for local multiplayer.

It is only in cases where you want to play original Wii games that the wiimote + nunchuck/ classic controller pro issue factors in, as with the PS3 when playing PS Move games.

Would be great if it wasn't that way for game controller, just seem a bit too much when you could've gotten a few more games instead.

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Raptor_Herc

@Serbine: At least you do not have to buy an entire console (i.e. if you want to play Xbox 360 games but only own an XBOne or PS4 w/ regards to PS3) in order to experience last-gen games. ^^

Serbine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Serbine

@Raptor_Herc said:

@Serbine: At least you do not have to buy an entire console (i.e. if you want to play Xbox 360 games but only own an XBOne or PS4 w/ regards to PS3) in order to experience last-gen games. ^^

Good Point, I'll give you that, compare to that it still alot cheaper if even just a bit lol.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jcrame10

@Raptor_Herc: I have a lot of those games and ive played them with the standard PS3 controller. That list is just giving games that are compatible with PS Move. Optional.

Which is nice. Unlike the Wii which had forced motion. I'd love to play DK Returns, Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime or Mario Galaxy with a regular ol' controller. Too bad. It's great the Wii U dropped that though, just like you said.

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Raptor_Herc

@jcrame10:

Nice to hear; However, some of the PS3's games did in fact require the PS3 Move Controller (such as Ape escape-- note the "PS Move Required" at the top of the cover), meaning that not all games gave the option, meaning that Sony is also guilty of allowing games that forced one to use motion controls.

With that said, I too wish I could play those titles you mentioned w/ the option of traditional controls (to be fair, you already can in the case of DKCR if you buy the 3DS version). Perhaps we will be able to play those other games w/ traditional controls in 20 years when Nintendo brings them to the VC ^^.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jcrame10

@Raptor_Herc: very few games do, like I said it just wasnt forced as much. The only one I can think of besides Ape Escape Move is Playstation Move Heroes. Most of the Move-required games didnt do so well, I think thats why they kind of dropped it