Thoughts on a new Metroid, Star Fox, or F-Zero game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts

Hey all! Thought I'd get an interesting discussion fired up. I want to know what everyone thinks about the possibility of some new games in Nintendo franchises that have been fairly quiet lately. The three specific franchises I'm referring to are Metroid, Star Fox, and F-Zero. Let's take a look at just how long these guys have been missing:

- Metroid. Dormant for 4 years. Last release: Metroid: Other M (2010)

- Star Fox: Dormant for 8 years (not counting the Star Fox 64 3D remaster). Last release: Star Fox Command (2006)

- F-Zero: Dormant for 10 years. Last release: F-Zero GP Legend (2004)

As you can see, these series have been out of the picture for quite some time. I love Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon as much as any Nintendo fan, but I really miss these three series. Star Fox and F-Zero in particular have been missing for a long, long time. Both series completely missed out on the Wii generation, and so far all three haven't even so much as been hinted at for Wii U (other than appearances by F-Zero and Metroid in NintendoLand).

Is it finally time to bring these great franchises back? I think it is. The Wii U provides so many possibilities for these games and seeing them in glorious HD would kick so much ass.

What do you guys think?

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Metroid: Inevitable

Star Fox: Maybe

F-Zero: Who knows? Hopefully soon. The only thing keeping that franchise alive is Smash Bros.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7204 Posts

Metroid: Yes, please. The sooner the better.

Starfox: Also yes, and have Platinum Games make it.

F-zero: No. F-zero GX was a perfect game. It would be like remaking Citizen Kane. There's just no need.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

StarFox is overrated and outdated.

F-zero is practically nothing thanks to Mario Kart

Metroid is the only one that really has a bright future.

let's face it, old school Nintendo classics will only ever turn up as brief micro games in Wario Ware or as trophies in Smash Bros.

0diN_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 0diN_7
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

Honestly, I'm interested in seeing a really well made Metroid game. I'm not saying the other two aren't great. I just don't care about them as much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#6 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Starfox Command, I actually really enjoyed that game on the DS. I liked how the game had different story paths you could play through. In one, I remember Fox and Slippy became like professional arwing racers or something.

And WOW, it's been 4 years since Other M already? Dang, time flies lol.

Well, I think a lot of Nintendo franchises have been on the backburner for a while now. Wario Land, Earthbound, Custom Robo, Advance Wars (also Batallion Wars *cringe*), Golden Sun, Odama, Geist, Another Code, Punch-Out, Elite Beat Agents, Doshin the Giant, Sin & Punishment, Kururin, Baten Kaitos.... Pretty much anything listed on here. There's a lot of history to draw from when considering new sequels.

I'm surprised nobody at Nintendo has tried to dust off any of those old games and consider bringing it back into the fold with a modern iteration. But then again, it's pretty surprising that Kid Icarus and Metroid got some attention after long periods of inactivity. So I guess anything's possible.

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Superzone

Man, you guys are bumming me out :/

I know a new Metroid is likely on the way soon (at least I hope), so I'm not as worried about that one. But Star Fox and F-Zero I think could both make a HUGE comeback on Wii U or 3DS, especially when you consider just how much online gaming has come along since the last releases in those franchises.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Star fox and f-zero will probably be on wii u, with help of 3rd party partnerships. Metroid should skip wii u, lest it be just more prime in HD with awkward tablet controls. Metroid should have careful planning and more powerful hardware.

Though a 2d sprite based metroid would be amazing for wii u.

0diN_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 0diN_7
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

@Chozofication said:

Star fox and f-zero will probably be on wii u, with help of 3rd party partnerships. Metroid should skip wii u, lest it be just more prime in HD with awkward tablet controls. Metroid should have careful planning and more powerful hardware.

Though a 2d sprite based metroid would be amazing for wii u.

I like the sound of a 2d sprite based metroid. Probably not going to happen though.

gba1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 1

#10 gba1989
Member since 2009 • 189 Posts

@Ovirew yeah, advance wars is suprisingly missing from nintendo's lineup.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#11  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Metroid will appear eventually. Retro's Prime series sold over a million with each release, so they'll likely be given the task of making the next Metroid. Star Fox is anybody's guess. As for F-Zero, I'm not sure if we'll be seeing that one. The last console release, F-Zero GX, didn't even crack a million in sales. I recall Miyamoto saying something about not knowing what to do with the series. Anything is possible with this gen. Nintendo needs to dig deep into their catalog of IPs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

You know, not to get too far off-topic here, but I was thinking a little bit about some of those old IPs I was sifting through last night, and I got to thinking about how some of them might work out well with the Wii-U hardware.

I keep coming back to the concept of mystery-novel-type games. Games like Nintendo Detective Club, Another Code (Trace Memory) and Hotel Dusk, which kind of made a comeback on the DS there. I think having a second, separate screen could be useful in a game like that for interacting with and examining evidence.

I also think it would be interesting in a new Trauma Center, if Atlus made another one. I can see you being able to use the gamepad to control a scope being inserted into a patient, or to control microscopic nano-bots that repair stuff.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#13  Edited By Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

A new Metroid in inevitable. I've read before that Miyamoto (and maybe someone else as well) are interested in making a StarFox. as for F-Zero, I am not sure if we'll see on on Wii-U. They might just stick on 3DS though.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#14  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Metroid: Better be soon. I would love another side scrolling game in the vein of Super. That game is amazing even now (first played it in 2010). I don't want some experimental thing like Other M, or an FPA (first person adventure) I want a side scroller.

Star Fox: I have almost lost all hope for the series. The only one that's truly a classic is 64, although Adventures and Assault are by no means bad (Command was iffy for me; not awful but not that great either). I would love another rails shooter like 64, especially with branching levels and the arcade like quality of it. It was a pure shot of fun, without the filler or not that great on foot sections. It was just pure excitement from start to finish even after multiple play throughs.

F- zero: I've really enjoyed the 64 installment, although I have never played the gamecube one (heard it's good though). That's another series that is more or less dead; unless they release a new one and heavily advertise it, this series isn't doing well. Hell, it only has four (?) installments after decades.

I love Nintendo but I'll admit that I wish they would do more with their not- as- popular IPs.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4189 Posts

Starfox: Great great game about the N64 3D version, but it's in my backlog so I haven't played too much or gotten to into it, but once I get around!

Metroid: Where the hell has this game been?? I think we should be able to play a 3DS console exclusive that would be totally fine with me.

F-Zero: One of those games I didn't play in my younger days. Wouldn't mind a fresh version either if you ask me.

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Superzone

@Ovirew said:

You know, not to get too far off-topic here, but I was thinking a little bit about some of those old IPs I was sifting through last night, and I got to thinking about how some of them might work out well with the Wii-U hardware.

I keep coming back to the concept of mystery-novel-type games. Games like Nintendo Detective Club, Another Code (Trace Memory) and Hotel Dusk, which kind of made a comeback on the DS there. I think having a second, separate screen could be useful in a game like that for interacting with and examining evidence.

I also think it would be interesting in a new Trauma Center, if Atlus made another one. I can see you being able to use the gamepad to control a scope being inserted into a patient, or to control microscopic nano-bots that repair stuff.

I would be very interested in everything you mentioned. The Wii U would be such a great console for a great detective game (heck, Batman: Arkham City: Armored Edition already showed off how that could work).

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17779 Posts

a new metroid does make sense. i just hope they dont muck it up again.

starfox, in its old format, i think is dead. that style of gameplay is not going to fly today (excluse the pun).

but i think the series is ripe for a complete overhaul and reboot. space sims are growing again (albeit mostly crowd funded at the moment....sad state of affairs in the industry when the consumer has to fund its own development effort and take the risk directly. :S). a starfox in the mould of freelancer or freespace (though freelancer would make more sense. fox and co are a merc band...tradeing, selling and taking on different missions would set in well) could be a cracker. who bought volition after THQ went bust (nintendo would not understand how to make such a game in house)?

fzero has to happen. sadly gx sold bupkis but it was an amazing game. if it had a track editor like trackmania then that would be truly stunning. i would love amusement vision to do ti again as they did an incredible job with GX. if they cant then nadeo (trackmania developers) also know a thing ot two about speed, precision, building a track editor and building a community around a game. the gamepad would especially make track building a no brainer.

Avatar image for deactivated-581dd8ca87cd8
deactivated-581dd8ca87cd8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By deactivated-581dd8ca87cd8
Member since 2013 • 256 Posts

Nintendo need to step on a new game from a different series. They should start developing a new F-Zero title for Wii U and 3DS!! It's been too long since the last F-Zero title!!! They are slowly starting to become like Sega, with their dead franchises!!!

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

those would be great.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4195 Posts

We're overdue for a new Star Fox game, and Miyamoto -- the man who gets what he wants -- said he wants Star Fox on the Wii U. With Nintendo's internal studios basically going dark after Mario Kart in May, I think they've something in the works, and I have a gut feeling it's Star Fox.

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Superzone

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

We're overdue for a new Star Fox game, and Miyamoto -- the man who gets what he wants -- said he wants Star Fox on the Wii U. With Nintendo's internal studios basically going dark after Mario Kart in May, I think they've something in the works, and I have a gut feeling it's Star Fox.

I really hope you are correct, sir.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4195 Posts

@Superzone: My logic: Miyamoto wants Star Fox. Nintendo let him make Wii Music. Miyamoto gets what he wants.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Just personally, the preference on how much I want the games: F Zero > Metroid (first person) > Star Fox (flying game)

FareShake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 5

#24 FareShake
Member since 2014 • 36 Posts

Metroid for sure, I loved all the Metroid games.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I think any Nintendo fan would love those franchises to come back. The question is, how? Especially in the case of Metroid. I loved the Prime series, but I'm not sure I want another FPS Metroid. However, Other M didn't win me over. A 2D sidescroller my be good, but I don't really like how most of these 2.5D games look recently (like the upcoming Strider and Shadow Complex, for example - I don't think that style works with Metroid).

F-Zero would be a great online racer. I'm just too scared to hear Nintendo announce the game and say that they feel it's best played with friends on the sofa and have decided to skip online. But I think if they graphically update most of the tracks from the original, N64, and the GBA game, they'd be off to a good start. Throw in new tracks, game modes (a tag mode would be fun, maybe something like CoD's Infected mode), and a track editor and I think people would get excited.

Star Fox is another game that needs careful attention. I don't think a rail shooter will hold people's attention. I also don't think it will do well to keep it as light-hearted. Star Fox needs to be more mature and darker. Have the cast be treated like alien species, not plush toys. I think a free roam, deep space combat game would be great. Add strategy elements to upgrade your ship and crew, have a base and friendly ships to dock into and protect. Again, online play would be key for co-op missions as well as deathmatch and objective based versus modes. How about throwing in challenges like Star Wars' Kessel run and have leaderboards to see who can make it in the fastest time? Or seeing who can navigate the Arwing through an impossible mase for the longest distance?

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

@Grieverr: My thoughts also, well pretty much.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

Man, the more I think of F-Zero, the more excited I get. Imagine playing on Big Blue, with updated graphics. Waves crash against the track and sometimes even gets on the track, creating puddles that affect the handling. The waves can also hit you and push you to the side. The screen would have that wet effect, with things being wavy and drops on the screen.

Same with Sand Ocean, as the race goes on, more sand starts to cover the track. There'd also be the option of driving through a sandstorm, with limited visibility and the wind pushing your craft. But that wouldn't happen every race. That way you avoid predictability.

And though I don't think there should be weapons, it would be nice if there was a way to mess with your opponents. Maybe there can be debris on the track that you can hit with your craft and have it possibly knock an opponent. Or use that water in Big Blue to splash someone next to you.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

Nintendo will probably not make an F-zero game. Mario Kart 8 is focusing on gravity, so I doubt Nintendo is going to take a risk by putting F-zero out again. I would buy a Wii U if I knew Nintendo actually cared about franchises other than Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. Not that those are bad, but I want something else.