Thinking bout getting a Wii U!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by DICEBog (3 posts) -
hey guys! this is my first post int his forum! =D soo yay for that! lol. Thinking a bout getting a Wii U, im a 360 Guy right now, and will be a ps4 guy, but the Wii U looks like it could be a great console for me. BEsides the new super smash bros, what are some really fun games/Upsides to the Wii U? Would love to hear from some Wii U owners! do you love the console? do you regret getting one? I need help! lol
#2 Posted by MonsieurX (30830 posts) -
Wonderful 101 Pikmin 3
#3 Posted by DICEBog (3 posts) -
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Wonderful 101 Pikmin 3

sounds pretty awesome! thx for the suggestions! =D
#4 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4407 posts) -
Miiverse is a cool community to post screenshots on and chat about games. The Off-TV play on the gamepad comes in handy. I liked the pointer controls a lot in FPS games on Wii, and Call of Duty continues those controls on Wii U. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is one of my favourite games on the system right now, quite an addictive online action game.
#5 Posted by DICEBog (3 posts) -
Miiverse is a cool community to post screenshots on and chat about games. The Off-TV play on the gamepad comes in handy. I liked the pointer controls a lot in FPS games on Wii, and Call of Duty continues those controls on Wii U. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is one of my favourite games on the system right now, quite an addictive online action game.Avatar_Taxidous
all this sounds amazing! thats another thing I wanted to ask actually! how is the online play on the wii u?
#6 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4407 posts) -
It is a lot better than what was offered on the Wii. Anyone you meet/play with online you can add as a friend. In Monster Hunter 3 and Trine 2 you can use the gamepad's mic for voice chat but I haven't tried that. There isn't a unified trophy/achievement system though.
#7 Posted by Jaysonguy (37760 posts) -

There's no sense in getting a Wii U now

The console set the record for having literally no games for the longest amount of time

Wait on the conosle until either it gets more games or drops in price.

People are going to say "well Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta" and that's fine, those are both going to be bargain bin games so there's no sense in paying top dollar for something that no one will buy and will drop in price.

#8 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4162 posts) -
I'd suggest holding off until early next year. Wait until the system has a good library of games.
#9 Posted by PS4TrumpsXbox1 (1078 posts) -
Wii U has a very strong linup of games coming starting about October and going out onward. Some recommendations for games out now include Earthbound (VC), Pikmin 3 that comes out in a couple weeks, Lego City Undercover, New Super Mario Bros Wii U, Monster Hunter. These are really fun games but unfortunately there is not a whole lot to choose from outside of these (unless you want to try 3rd party old games that came out on 360,PS3 like Most Wanted, Batman Arkham City etc...)
#10 Posted by gronk-bonk (1951 posts) -

zombiu is a unique experience but also a flawed one.

Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, donkey kong, mario 3d world, wind waker hd, there are many qaulity title coming out in the next 6 months but i would wait until the holiday season to get one.

#11 Posted by calway55 (239 posts) -

zombiu is a unique experience but also a flawed one.

Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, donkey kong, mario 3d world, wind waker hd, there are many qaulity title coming out in the next 6 months but i would wait until the holiday season to get one.

gronk-bonk

I own every Nintendo console so I am a little bias and a loyal Nintendo fan. This is the the time to get one  as many games are coming out. Earthbound download (virtual console) just came out along with must play New Super Mario Bros. U and the Luigi DLC or get retail copy at end of Aug.

Pikman due on Aug. 4,Ducktales Download Aug 13, Sept.3 Rayman Legends, Oct. HD Windwaker, Nov. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze Dec. Super Mario 3D.

I don't think there will be a price reduction, but there could be some good bundling at the holiday possibly.

The guys on this thread could probably recommend more games. Realistically how many games can you play in a day? People complain there are no games but who also can afford everything that has been offered so far. Just to add up what I just mention it comes to a little over 400 dollars in games only.

I say buy if you can afford it now without waiting for a bundle deal.

#12 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Wait a year.

I bought mine on launch and it has been the biggest waste of money to me. I regret ever buying one. I should have waited another year for better games to come out on it because aside from 1 maybe 2 games I havent ever played it more than a couple hours a week.

#13 Posted by gamenerd15 (4465 posts) -

I would get one, but maybe not at $350. 

Games coming out include this year

Pikmin 3

Donkey Kong Country

Mario 3D World

Wonderful 101

Sonic and The Lost World

Zelda Windwaker HD

Games coming out eventually

Mario Kart 8

Smash Bros

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem

The next new Zelda

Monolith's new game

Bayonetta 2

a new IP from the creator of Mario and Zelda

That is 13 games for you.

I assume other Nintendo franchises will have their debut on Wii U as well such as Metroid and Kirby. 

#14 Posted by Jaysonguy (37760 posts) -

Pikmin 3

Donkey Kong Country

Mario 3D World

Wonderful 101

Sonic and The Lost World

Zelda Windwaker HD

Mario Kart 8

Smash Bros

The next new Zelda

Monolith's new game

Bayonetta 2

I assume other Nintendo franchises will have their debut on Wii U as well such as Metroid and Kirby. 

gamenerd15

Awesome

A list of which he can't play anything

#15 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

About now is a good time to get one.

There's already a few games out that are worth checking out. 

• New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U
  • Nintendo Land
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
  • Sonic & All-Star Racing Transformed
  • ZombiU
  • Game & Wario
  • Lego City Undercover

Next month is when we'll see a new release every month until the end of the year.

• Pikmin 3
  • The Wonderful 101
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
  • Sonic Lost World
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • Super Mario 3D World

On top of that there's some multiplatform stuff hitting the console from now till end of the year like Rayman Legends, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Scribblenauts Unmasked, Watch_Dogs, Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut, etc.

There's also some interesting indie stuff coming to the eShop like Shovel Knight, and some stuff that's already available like Toki Tori 2.

#16 Posted by KBFloYd (13991 posts) -

Wait a year.

I bought mine on launch and it has been the biggest waste of money to me. I regret ever buying one. I should have waited another year for better games to come out on it because aside from 1 maybe 2 games I havent ever played it more than a couple hours a week.

Gargus

the new jer_1 ladies and gentlemen.

one leaves and another takes his place. lol

#17 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4162 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gargus"]

Wait a year.

KBFloYd

the new jer_1 ladies and gentlemen.

one leaves and another takes his place. lol

I actually agree with him though. I barely use my Wii U. If I could go back I would have definitely waited to buy it. The console isn't bad and there are some great games for it right now, but not nearly enough to warrant a purchase.
#18 Posted by unreal223 (106 posts) -
I honestly would wait. Wii U is $299/ $350. You would get more out of spending that money on games for your 360 than you would out of a wii u right now. To be honest I would probably buy games for your 360, buy a ps3 if you don't have one(lots of great cheap games to be had), or wait and use it for ps4/x1. Wii U will pick up but right now there is only a few games that you cant already get on other platforms and they aren't worth the price of admission in my opinion. I got my wii u for dirt cheap so it doesn't bother me that it sits unplayed but I would have been a lot more upset had I paid the full price.
#19 Posted by SaintJimmmy (2815 posts) -

There's no sense in getting a Wii U now

The console set the record for having literally no games for the longest amount of time

Wait on the conosle until either it gets more games or drops in price.

People are going to say "well Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta" and that's fine, those are both going to be bargain bin games so there's no sense in paying top dollar for something that no one will buy and will drop in price.

Jaysonguy
Listen to this wise man!
#20 Posted by SolidTy (44450 posts) -

hey guys! this is my first post int his forum! =D soo yay for that! lol. Thinking a bout getting a Wii U, im a 360 Guy right now, and will be a ps4 guy, but the Wii U looks like it could be a great console for me. BEsides the new super smash bros, what are some really fun games/Upsides to the Wii U? Would love to hear from some Wii U owners! do you love the console? do you regret getting one? I need help! lol DICEBog

I bought a launch Wii U at $350 for launch window titles Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3...

Those titles are still not out due to various delays, and I fear by the time they release, the Wii U will see a price drop. I would wait for a price drop, you already waited nearly a year, I can't see how a few months will change anything. If the price drop doesn't happen, at least there will be more Exclusive games to choose from.

Neither Pikmin 3 nor Wonderful 101 have released, and my Wii U is collecting dust. My Wii U is ONLY for exclusive Wii U games taking advantage of the tablet. All multiplatform games I buy on PC, 360, PS3, etc.

People are listing some great games you can't buy right now, so don't buy a Wii U and sit on it, like I did. Yes, You can enjoy New Super Mario U and Nintendoland comes free in the package (although I don't touch it anymore at all). When I bought my Wii U, I knew what I was getting in for as I went through droughts on Wii, GC, and N64, but you didn't buy a Wii U at launch last year, so you shouldn't buy one for a $350 launch price. You should save some money for waiting so long as you did.

If you buy a Wii U, make sure the titles you want like Wonderful 101, Bayonetta, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, or whatever are released. Don't pay full price and wait, or you may find a Wii U price drop you could have had pass you by.

#21 Posted by gamenerd15 (4465 posts) -

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

Pikmin 3

Donkey Kong Country

Mario 3D World

Wonderful 101

Sonic and The Lost World

Zelda Windwaker HD

Mario Kart 8

Smash Bros

The next new Zelda

Monolith's new game

Bayonetta 2

Jaysonguy

Awesome

A list of which he can't play anything

Your point being?  I would rather get a system at a deal with no games than get one when there are title in high demand.  This way, you will not have to sear around to try and find a system or buy one for more than it is worth.  The titles will start coming is as of next month starting with Pikmin 3.  The poster could play Mario Bros U, Nintendo Land, Monster Hunter, or Scribblenauts until the holiday titles come in.  Most people are not going to buy multiple games when they buy a system.  Buying a system now will give him time to breathe financially and then get games later on.   

#22 Posted by Madmangamer364 (3620 posts) -

Your point being?  I would rather get a system at a deal with no games than get one when there are title in high demand.  This way, you will not have to sear around to try and find a system or buy one for more than it is worth

gamenerd15

Which is exactly what you're doing if you're buying a struggling console with only a handful of games that may even appeal to you. Unless I overlooked something, I didn't see anything about a deal, so unless there's a clear reason to go out at the the Wii U, something that the TC doesn't seem to have, there's no reason to buy the system until you KNOW there are games you want for it. I don't think anyone will have trouble finding a Wii U, as Nintendo probably has a warehouse full of them they're hoping to ship out sometime in the next year, assuming the upcoming software actually does help on the hardware front. The only 'possibility' that comes with waiting is that of a price drop, which would only make the decision to wait even sweeter.

Not sure what the point of convincing someone to buy a system and wait for the bigger titles to come out, insisting that they buy older games to bide the time, and then implying that the person will be in a better position financially once the desirable titles come was all about. Not the kind of advice I'd want to take if my wallet was at stake, I'll say. The Wii U's price has nowhere to go but down, so until you're absolutely convinced that you want one, you should be totally fine with waiting until that time comes and saving the money you've set out for it to get it then and there.

#23 Posted by superbuuman (2991 posts) -

hey guys! this is my first post int his forum! =D soo yay for that! lol. Thinking a bout getting a Wii U, im a 360 Guy right now, and will be a ps4 guy, but the Wii U looks like it could be a great console for me. BEsides the new super smash bros, what are some really fun games/Upsides to the Wii U? Would love to hear from some Wii U owners! do you love the console? do you regret getting one? I need help! lol DICEBog
Look at the list of games available to Wii U..if the games you like is not there yet then wait till its release...X, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8 & SSB aren't out till next yr. Wait till next year...2014 the year for Wii U. :P

#24 Posted by Kenny789 (10250 posts) -
I just got one a few days ago and I am very happy so far. I'd suggest taking a look at the games and if there are enough that interest you then by all means get one. Most people would say the Wii U has no games and quite frankly I think it all boils down to your preferences and current consoles. I'm interested in getting the multiplats on the Wii U so there are quite a few games that interest me such as: > Assassin's Creed III > Batman: Arkham City > Need for Speed: Most Wanted > Tekken Tag Tournament As well as exclusives such as: > New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U DLC > Lego City Undercover > Nintendoland > ZombiU And on top of that, the following future releases: > The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker HD > The Wonderful 101 > Pikmin 3 > Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag > Watch Dogs > Bayonetta 2 and I'm sure there are a few more I've left out here and there. I have a decent PC but it's getting a bit slow so I get some multiplats on the Wii U instead. Also, call me crazy if you will, I like purchasing multiplats on the Nintendo system. All in all gauge it on the number of games that interest you. When I bought the Wii U, the people at the store were worried that I'd regret my purchase in the future or buy one only for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Apparently most Wii U owners only buy one for Monster Hunter which I find silly. So if you are interested in roughly 5 games then I'd say go for it :)
#25 Posted by SolidTy (44450 posts) -

call me crazy if you will, Kenny789

You are crazy. : P

#26 Posted by superbuuman (2991 posts) -

Also, call me crazy if you will, I like purchasing multiplats on the Nintendo system.Kenny789
I try to do the same..so not really crazy. :)

#27 Posted by gamenerd15 (4465 posts) -

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

Your point being?  I would rather get a system at a deal with no games than get one when there are title in high demand.  This way, you will not have to sear around to try and find a system or buy one for more than it is worth

Madmangamer364

Which is exactly what you're doing if you're buying a struggling console with only a handful of games that may even appeal to you. Unless I overlooked something, I didn't see anything about a deal, so unless there's a clear reason to go out at the the Wii U, something that the TC doesn't seem to have, there's no reason to buy the system until you KNOW there are games you want for it. I don't think anyone will have trouble finding a Wii U, as Nintendo probably has a warehouse full of them they're hoping to ship out sometime in the next year, assuming the upcoming software actually does help on the hardware front. The only 'possibility' that comes with waiting is that of a price drop, which would only make the decision to wait even sweeter.

Not sure what the point of convincing someone to buy a system and wait for the bigger titles to come out, insisting that they buy older games to bide the time, and then implying that the person will be in a better position financially once the desirable titles come was all about. Not the kind of advice I'd want to take if my wallet was at stake, I'll say. The Wii U's price has nowhere to go but down, so until you're absolutely convinced that you want one, you should be totally fine with waiting until that time comes and saving the money you've set out for it to get it then and there.

My point was that the poster might be able to find a deal somewhere.  I have seen the 32GB sell for less than $250 sometimes on amazon.  If the fall software makes the hardware sales pick up, then he might have to pay full price for a system.  A price drop could happen, but at this stage in the life cycle everything is a gamble. 

#28 Posted by Kenny789 (10250 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kenny789"]call me crazy if you will, SolidTy

Oh you :P
#29 Posted by SolidTy (44450 posts) -

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="Kenny789"]call me crazy if you will, Kenny789

Oh you :P

:lol:

#30 Posted by DeViLzzz (2144 posts) -

OP if you want a Wii U a good time to get one would have been yesterday at Best Buy Canada as they had the regular version for $199.99 and you could have picked up the charging stand for $30 to $40 elsewhere.

In regards to the performance of the Wii U the load times are still horrible. Even with the latest patch which was supposed to speed things up it didn't do much in the way of helping things. As for the games it is hit and miss.  Nintendo Land definitely shows off the system and what it is capable of in terms of gameplay style.  NBA 2K13 looked really nice and my son enjoyed playing it on the system.  I played COD Black Ops II and it was hit and miss graphically at times but what COD games look good anyway ? LOL  I also played the Walking Dead (action game .. whatever it is called) and while it was somewhat fun it graphically looked really bad but again I think this was a complaint on other systems too and the game did not rate well or sell well no matter what console it was on.  As for games in the future for the system I think anyone that knows anything about the Wii U looks forward to Rayman Legends as that really shows off the system graphically and it shows innovative gameplay.  Now for the record I will be buying that game used though as Ubisoft ticked me and others off when they did not release the game when they were supposed to and are now releasing it on the other consoles but quite frankly the best version by far will be on the Wii U.  I honestly was sold on the Wii U by just playing that one game demo in store.  Also if you wonder about the amount of games coming out for the system over a year's time Amazon I believe has 100 games total listed for the Wii U library right now so if that is not enough games for you I don't know what is.
  Let me also say this about the Wii U.  The community is much better than the sadistic and mean Xbox Live community which has absolutely horrified my son lately.  I also enjoy seeing the artwork people put up that they draw on the Wii U controller and it is also fun to communicate with others using that Wii U tv app when watching stuff.

The Wii U also has exclusives ......

Mario related games etc

If they matter to you well then you need a Wii U. 

#31 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4407 posts) -

In regards to the performance of the Wii U the load times are still horrible. Even with the latest patch which was supposed to speed things up it didn't do much in the way of helping things.DeViLzzz

The loading times are more than halved after the update. If they get the loading times even faster that's great but I don't mind them as they are; seems to take only a few seconds to load anything. Personally, I would say the update did help out the Wii U loading time problem a lot.

#32 Posted by Lach0121 (9889 posts) -

I don't own one, or a wii, but we will be getting one soon.

We are looking forward to the vast library of Wii games we missed out on.

WiiU Virtual Console,  gamepad support, and HD output...  (its slowly getting games)

Actual WiiU games looking forward to:

Project X... (I am really looking forward to this game)

Mario Kart 8

Deus Ex: HR (I have a more than capable gaming pc, but I never got around to playing it, I want the upgrades, gamepad support, and help support Nintendo a little in the 3rd party department)

Super Mario Bros WiiU

Super Mario 3d World

The Sonic game (I forgot actual name)

The new Splinter Cell game (for the same reasons listed above for Deus Ex, unless the PC version looks considerably better, and is optimized like never before)

Darksiders II (I played the first on PC, and wanted to try it with gamepad, so I waited on the second)

The inevitable Zelda U game

Wind Waker HD.

#33 Posted by rockydog1111 (2076 posts) -

If you didn't own a Wii, but one now and play some of those great Wii games you may have missed, plus the Wii U games that are available. I already own a Wii, so I'm personally waiting until aprice drop happens or a very enticing bundle is released. 

Pikmin 3, W101, Sonic, X, NSMBU, NSLU, WW HD, MK 8, Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, Rayman Legends, Mario 3D World, DK Tropical Freeze, Yoshi, and Lego City Undercover all look like they make for a nice lineup of games. If this interests you, all these games are either out or are going to be out sometime by spring of 2014 but most are fall/winter 2013.

#34 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9104 posts) -

I would say the absolute best feature of the console is the Miiverse it really adds something to every game you play on the system. This is also a very good time to pick one up as Pikmin 3 is coming out soon and there is a steady stream of content from there

August: Pikmin 3

September: The wonderful 101

October: Wind Waker HD and Sonic Lost World

November: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

December: Super Mario 3D World

I would also highly recomend the already released New Super Mario Bros. U

#35 Posted by SolidTy (44450 posts) -

I actually don't like the Miiverse at all. I find to be a waste of time and resources.