Thinking about buying a Wii U?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by RimacBugatti (1191 posts) -

Well I had a Gamecube but was disappointed with the lack of games so I sold it and regret it now. So I'm thinking of starting over with Wii U and not getting rid of it this time. I'm not sure what exclusives the Wii U has that would be fun to play. I have Xbone and PS4 but I want a larger variety in games. What games would you suggest for the Wii U?

#2 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (7190 posts) -
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Pikmin 3
  • Wind Waker HD
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut
  • Rayman Legends
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us
  • Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
  • ZombiU
  • Wii Sports Club(eShop)
  • Little Interno(eShop)
  • Trine 2(eShop)

Those are just what I could think of off the top of my head. Several of those I mentioned are pretty cheap. Amazon has great prices for Wii U games. For example, you could pick up ME3 for less than $20. Other multiplatform games, such as Assassin's Creed 4, are pretty cheap on the system as well. For expanding system memory, I highly recommend the Sandisk Cruzer Fit usb drives. If you're not getting digital games, though, I don't think expansion will be necessary.

We really need to have a sticky for this subject. There seems to be threads like this every other week.

#3 Edited by ZyroXZ2 (73 posts) -

Removing any games you probably already played on a PS/XBox machine, I'd say:

• Pikmin 3
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • Nano Neo Assault
  • Wind Waker HD (even if you played through the GC version, it's quite enhanced and a fun nostalgia trip)
  • Wii Sports Club Tennis (because you can play online against other players)
  • Virtual Console titles you missed in the early days (I played Earthbound for the first time!)
  • Rayman Legends
  • ZombiU

That should easily tide you over well into Mario Kart 8's release, which will naturally suck up your life for awhile, lol

#4 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6977 posts) -

In addition to those games already mentioned, don't forget that the Wii U is fully backwards compatible with the Wii. Assuming your last Nintendo console was the Gamecube, I would get Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, Sin and Punishment, and any other Wii game that you are interested in.

#5 Edited by good_sk8er7 (4320 posts) -

Super Mario 3D World is freaking amazing. Wind Waker HD is great and looks terrific. Nintendo Land is tons of fun when you have 3 or more people playing. New Super Mario Bros U is pretty fun and challenging (Especially NSLU.)

And all of those games are couch co op so they'd be great if you have a significant other or some friends. (Except for Windwaker HD)

#6 Posted by RimacBugatti (1191 posts) -

Awesome and thank you everybody! I will definitely get Mario Kart 8. The only real concern that I have is what option do I have for a controller because I don't want to play with that huge controller? No offense but I have seen it in person and it's way too big for me. I will get that ZombiU for sure as well.

#7 Posted by joe_b1_kenobi (75 posts) -

@RimacBugatti: have a look at the pro controller. You would have to buy it separate but it's a standard looking controller with all the sticks and buttons you need. You'd be missing out on some pretty cool second screen experiences though with the likes of zombiU using the gamepad pretty well. Obviously you'll get the gamepad with your wiiU so you can try it out anyway. It's surprisingly light and comfy. Also I think most games can be played with wii remote and nunchucks.

#8 Edited by RimacBugatti (1191 posts) -

@joe_b1_kenobi: Cool thanks! I personally haven't played on the controller but I saw someone using it and wasn't sure based on the size. It's the same thing as using Vita with PS4 but a little larger I think.

#9 Edited by JordanElek (17756 posts) -

The size of the controller doesn't matter. Your hands will sit on your lap six inches apart instead of three inches.

#10 Posted by RimacBugatti (1191 posts) -

@JordanElek:

That's not bad. How comfortable is the controller in reference to the Xbone controller? Are there any grips of any sort?

#11 Posted by JordanElek (17756 posts) -

@JordanElek:

That's not bad. How comfortable is the controller in reference to the Xbone controller? Are there any grips of any sort?

The back is formed to fit around the curve of your hands on each side, with your index fingers resting on a ridge with the triggers. The main difference between it and most other controllers is that the sides are flat edges rather than angled, so your wrists rest at a slightly sharper angle than with something like the Xbone controller.

It's more comfortable than any handheld ever, so if you can play one of those, you can play with the gamepad. It's totally fine.

#12 Edited by RimacBugatti (1191 posts) -
#13 Posted by MDK12345 (519 posts) -

Well I just got a Wii U. For me, I'm going to keep it mainly playstation, meaning that if there are games on both systems, I'm gonna keep it playstation. But I got the Wii U for Donkey Kong and it's exclusives. So that means Donkey Kong TF, DKCR, and Mario and Zelda games. I am using it specifically for those titles, and maybe a few more exclusives down the road.

Do people prefer Rayman Legends on the Wii U over Playstation?

#14 Edited by RimacBugatti (1191 posts) -

@mdk12345: Yeah I as well would just get it for the exclusives. PS4 for multiplats all day. I really want to get one just to have it and play Mario Kart 8 to bring back old times.