Think Tank! Wii Ui

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (6876 posts) -

It's been over a year since the Wii U launched and I think most of us can agree that the OS has come a long way. When the console initially launched, the damn thing was so slow that it could take over ten seconds to load the Settings menu. Now, it's reasonably speedy, yet still bloated in terms of its RAM consumption. This may, however, change in the future.

While the OS's speed has improved, the UI has remained largely unchanged. For a while, I've been thinking of ways the UI could be improved. The recent system update got me thinking: why not make a thread and see if anyone else is thinking something similar? Will it change anything or make any real difference on Nintendo's end? Not really, but what's the harm in getting creative??

My first idea is illustrated below. I propose removing the friends list icon and menu entirely. When you can view all of that in Miiverse, why have two different areas to view the same thing? Instead, hitting the Miiverse icon will bring up a modal dialog with your friends list and basic controls in it, removing the need to jump out of your game into a separate app. If you want to continue on to the Miiverse application, you can proceed from this menu.

Place a link to the settings menu where the Friends icon/link used to be. I never saw any sense in having it as a tile when it's not a game or optional application.

So what ideas do you all have? Write it out or draw a picture if you're feeling up to it! It can be some shitty MS Paint drawing for all I care. Whatever you think gets your point across.

#2 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1743 posts) -

i wish i had a wiiu I wish Nintendo gave me a reason to get a WiiU. I would have liked to participate.

#3 Posted by Chozofication (2688 posts) -

They really need to give us an option to turn off the gamepad when we don't want to use it, and let us navigate the whole system with a pro controller and wii mote as well.

#4 Posted by Neonakaa (78 posts) -

I feel this wouldn't be a bad idea.

#5 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (6876 posts) -

i wish i had a wiiu I wish Nintendo gave me a reason to get a WiiU. I would have liked to participate.

You're welcome to give constructive criticism or provide input to ideas presented. Anyone can participate to some degree - Wii U or not. :)

They really need to give us an option to turn off the gamepad when we don't want to use it, and let us navigate the whole system with a pro controller and wii mote as well.

I agree, you should be able to navigate all Wii U menus with any control method supported by the platform. I reckon it wouldn't be a difficult thing to accomplish. The Wii U simply needs to recognize what controller turned on the system, or which one is providing input, and set the menus to the proper display.

Expanding on your idea:

• If the console is activated with a Pro Controller or Wii Remote, the Gamepad does not activate automatically.
  • If the console is booted via the onboard power button, the Gamepad activates by default unless system settings dictate otherwise. Which brings us to...
  • The Gamepad area of the settings menu should be altered to "Controller Settings", where users have the option of setting a default controller that the Wii U will look for when booted from the power button.
  • If the Pro Controller or Wii Remote are the current input device, menus that would otherwise display on the Gamepad, such as the Settings menu, are displayed on your television/display device.

#7 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (6876 posts) -

@neonakaa said:

I feel this wouldn't be a bad idea.

So what would you change about the system UI? I imagine you have a few ideas on what could be done differently.

#8 Edited by Neonakaa (78 posts) -

@YearoftheSnake5: I dont have any, but I think yours is great!
Edit: Turning the second screen off when not needed, that could greatly improve the battery life people have whined about.

#9 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (6876 posts) -

@neonakaa said:

@YearoftheSnake5: I dont have any, but I think yours is great!

Edit: Turning the second screen off when not needed, that could greatly improve the battery life people have whined about.

Thank you! I do UI design professionally and decided to have a little fun with it.

A lot of people have been asking for a method to turn off the Gamepad screen, which is certainly doable. You can already turn off the Gamepad display from the controller settings menu, BUT it can't be used like this because pressing any button reactivates the screen. Nintendo should have a Pro Controller-mode for the Gamepad, which would treat it like a pro controller, but with additional functionality for the headset, volume, mic, and NFC. A modified Gamepad driver would do it.

#10 Posted by superbuuman (2535 posts) -

Yea I have one but it will make the gamepad screen m00t. :P

#11 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (6876 posts) -

Yea I have one but it will make the gamepad screen m00t. :P

How so?

#12 Posted by superbuuman (2535 posts) -

^ busy atm, will draw something up tomorrow.. just something I'd like to see when I switch on the Wii U instead of the current useless screen on TV.

#13 Posted by Grieverr (2548 posts) -

Firstly, I agree with being able to default to a Pro controller and having the option not to use the gamepad at all while navigating the menus.

I'd like the Wara Wara plaza gone, or relegated to a separate app. I feel it slows down the boot process. It's also kind of dumb that as it is, you can't do anything with it unless you bring it down to the gamepad screen. If not that, then at the very least, default the Wara Wara plaza to the gamepad and the Wii-like menu to the TV screen, with input from the gamepad as to what box to select (have the plaza on the gamepad be touch control only).

If the plaza is removed, then just have an updated Wii menu that may be more aesthetically pleasing. Otherwise, I think that's a nice, if minimalist, UI. I do wish for folder creation, though.

#14 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (6876 posts) -

@Grieverr said:

Removing the plaza would speed up boot times considerably. I imagine it eats up a sizable amount of memory, too. As you said, it serves no real purpose. I think Animal Crossing has a Wara Wara-like app, so relegating it to a separate application certainly isn't impossible. It would be much more efficient, as the Wii U wouldn't need to retain a ton of useless Mii characters.

It boggles my mind why Nintendo hasn't implemented folders on the Wii U yet. They're already doing it on the 3DS. The tiles are great for touch, but when you start building up a digital library, it tends to get disorganized. The folders would allow users to organize their software as they see fit.