These graphics are amazing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TacticalElefant
TacticalElefant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 TacticalElefant
Member since 2007 • 900 Posts

But for some reason developers have the hardest time making pretty games on the Wii. Let's see Rogue Squadron II was a LAUNCH GAME for the Gamecube, with bump mapping, self shadowing, environmental shaders, and such but seems Wii developers are pretty stupid still. I wish Factor 5 would come back to Nintendo.

carloas27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 carloas27
Member since 2004 • 156 Posts
ditto
crazy4life54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 crazy4life54
Member since 2003 • 238 Posts
It seems very few game developers have learned how to use the Cube and the Wii to it's fullest graphical potential... Capcom is one of them with RE4... can someone please follow in their footsteps?
TacticalElefant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TacticalElefant
Capcom, Factor 5, Nintendo themselves all seemed to know how to use the hardware. Problem is that no games use every available feature. Hell only two games used S3 Texture Compression: Geist and Starfox Adventures if I remember right. I'm playing MP3 right now, and I must say that the game looks great and all, especially with the huge improvement in polygon and texture fillrates, but I'm dissapointed to see such minimal use in dynamic shadows and lighting as well as the little usage of bump and normal mapping type techniques. So far the only evidence of either I've seen is the GFS Soldiers with a bit of what appears to perhaps be bump map on their shoulder pads from the way light reacts. Sure I understand the desire to maintain the 60 fps framerate, of case which I haven't seen a single slowdown yet, even with these huge environments, but had they targeted 30 fps, how much more could've they fulfilled? It makes me ponder, especially as much polygons, texture maps, specular lights, and bloom lighting is being rendered at once. Also as high quality as the textures seem, it's definetly seems that they are actually using texture compression this time, which is nice, as it shows.
furtherfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 furtherfan
Member since 2007 • 3699 Posts
they WERE amazing
akruan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 akruan
Member since 2006 • 432 Posts
heck no, I don't want Factor 4.5 to come back to Nintendo. I don't want Lair on my Wii. Also I don't want Rare to come back either, crappy Perfect Dark Zero.
meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts

You know what's funny when people proclaim a game didn't use a graphical feature then the developer in the same interview says "what the hell are you talking about? We did use it" and then procededsto show where in the game which is often everywhere.

monty_4256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 monty_4256
Member since 2004 • 8577 Posts

GC and Wii both have everything needing to be completely optimised for good graphics, or you'll churn out N64 style graphics

factor 5 are one of the few people who bothered to do that, I don't think metroid prime games are even fully optimised

dsfan64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 dsfan64
Member since 2005 • 788 Posts

It seems very few game developers have learned how to use the Cube and the Wii to it's fullest graphical potential... Capcom is one of them with RE4... can someone please follow in their footsteps?crazy4life54

Sorry to say but, really, the only reason it looks good is because Re4 GCN looked good.

Galen20K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Galen20K
Member since 2003 • 556 Posts

I agree, THese Publishers really need to start putting the time into the Games for Wii instead of Half an Effort because The Wii STILL has alot of Power even though its not quite the jump of the other 2 consoles of this Gen>>>>

LETS SEE THEM PEOPLE!!!! WHoot!

Tadeo323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Tadeo323
Member since 2007 • 48 Posts
some games have a grat potential with the graphics like RE, Super Mario galaxy and the wii most waited game Super Smash Bros Brawl
WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts
Link please i cant seem to see the picture, my internet browser blocks the picture unless its a link...
secretagentx9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 secretagentx9
Member since 2003 • 410 Posts
It's a pic of a AT-ST from Rogue Squadron II for GameCube. Looks as good if not better than anything on the Wii.
TacticalElefant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TacticalElefant

This is a good picture too. Take not of the self shadowing on the vehicles and the insane amounts of environmental bump mapping on the ground. Why does Nintendo not push developers to achieve these results? If the company really cares about quality control and such, they sure must have low standards for 3rd party games in order to get the 3rd party support. Remember Far Cry Vengence *headache*? That game could've SURPASSED the Xbox version easily, but it looked like a PS2 launch game. The potential is there, but very few companies are pushing themselves. I think a good idea would be for one of the major Wii developers, or Nintendo themselves to have a large "workshop" of sorts to show what can be done on the system, in particularly TEV programming education, that way games start to use what is there, instead of just avoiding it all together.
Blk-Gnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Blk-Gnome
Member since 2006 • 1247 Posts

oh, those are alright...not amazing.

well now that the developers are taking the wii serious maybe we can get some good looking games...well some good 3rd party games would be nice as well. (dont argue with me about that, ive played many of the more notable ones and the only one i enjoyed was RE4...which was a port, thus not built from the ground up for the wii, thus excluding it when i talk about games developed for the wii)

Ponmop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ponmop
Member since 2007 • 489 Posts
Those screens are making me want to fire RL up again. Rebel Strike had some great graphics, too, although it wasn't quite as good a game as Rogue Leader, IMO.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

[QUOTE="crazy4life54"]It seems very few game developers have learned how to use the Cube and the Wii to it's fullest graphical potential... Capcom is one of them with RE4... can someone please follow in their footsteps?dsfan64

Sorry to say but, really, the only reason it looks good is because Re4 GCN looked good.

I think he was talking about the GCN when he mentioned that. As he did state the "cube" in the statement.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c009341336cd
deactivated-5c009341336cd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5c009341336cd
Member since 2004 • 1855 Posts

amazing lighting and shadowing

so beautiful, seriously all wii games should look at least this good

TacticalElefant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TacticalElefant
I agree, there is no justification for the crap being put out currently.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts
With all the sequels being made, I'd put my $50 towards Rogue Squadron IV :)
Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Tri-Enforcer
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

But for some reason developers have the hardest time making pretty games on the Wii. Let's see Rogue Squadron II was a LAUNCH GAME for the Gamecube, with bump mapping, self shadowing, environmental shaders, and such but seems Wii developers are pretty stupid still. I wish Factor 5 would come back to Nintendo.

TacticalElefant

Factor 5 just might come back to Nintendo--especially after all the lackluster reviews that Lair is getting on the PS3. Since it's on the PS3, I'm sure Lair won't sell very much as well--which is even more reason to switch back to Nintendo. Factor 5 put so much time, MONEYand effort into Laironly for it to perform horribly! We may see a game from Factor 5 for the Wii, but certainly no time soon.

robzan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 robzan
Member since 2006 • 320 Posts
I read in a paper that Nintedo was so tired of hearing people complaining about the bad graphics on Wii games, that they were discussing to get together with Factor 5 and make a Star Fox game on the Wii. I'm not kidding. :)
Cypher_187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cypher_187
Member since 2004 • 852 Posts
So you wish factor 5 came back to nintendo? I'm glad they are gone after I saw the Lair review :lol: It seems like whenever a developer leaves nintendo they end up sucking. Rare and Factor 5 are both good examples.
sonic_rusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 sonic_rusher
Member since 2007 • 2185 Posts

I read in a paper that Nintedo was so tired of hearing people complaining about the bad graphics on Wii games, that they were discussing to get together with Factor 5 and make a Star Fox game on the Wii. I'm not kidding. :)robzan

proof????

TacticalElefant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TacticalElefant

[QUOTE="robzan"]I read in a paper that Nintedo was so tired of hearing people complaining about the bad graphics on Wii games, that they were discussing to get together with Factor 5 and make a Star Fox game on the Wii. I'm not kidding. :)sonic_rusher

proof????

I'd like to see this too.
aladd04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 aladd04
Member since 2005 • 4515 Posts
those graphics arn't extremely good, but anyway why do u all get crazy over graphics, its gameplay that matters.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34567 Posts

Not to talk about this eye candy:

TacticalElefant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TacticalElefant
those graphics arn't extremely good, but anyway why do u all get crazy over graphics, its gameplay that matters. aladd04

Everything matters. And yes, Star Fox Adventures was an amazing looking game as well.
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
to this day I still havent beaten RS for GC and I got it near launch. Didnt really like it.
quetzalcoatl45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 quetzalcoatl45
Member since 2005 • 1850 Posts

It's sad.

Factor 5 made one of the Best looking GCN games in Rouge Squadron 2 (Rouge Squadron 3 was no slouch eather), and it was a Freaking Launch Title in '01!

It's too bad they had to go off Badmouthing the Wii and Declare their Exclusivity to the PS3 this gen....but now that there big PS3 game "Liar" has officially Bombed.....they may have a change of heart.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
[QUOTE="sonic_rusher"]

[QUOTE="robzan"]I read in a paper that Nintedo was so tired of hearing people complaining about the bad graphics on Wii games, that they were discussing to get together with Factor 5 and make a Star Fox game on the Wii. I'm not kidding. :)TacticalElefant

proof????

I'd like to see this too.

Yeah I rememberI recommended that in a thread once, but there was never any rumors or anything about it. Yeah but Factor talked smack about the Wii and praised the might PS3 before launch. So we'll see what happens with them now. However we dont need Factor to make games that look great, all it takes is effort from the devs.

FlaminDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FlaminDeath
Member since 2004 • 4181 Posts
yes i prefer gamplay way over graphics but if you look like a box with legs it takes away from the experience
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sepewrath

Well Retro doesnt have much of a choice in the matter since Nintendo owns the company. However it would be nice to see Retro take a stab at developing for the Wii.

yes i prefer gamplay way over graphics but if you look like a box with legs it takes away from the experienceFlaminDeath

Well actually thats not true, as there are many NES games that are still a blast to play. the problem is that the system has ability that goes unused, and devs just ignore the extra juice the system has.

grim653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 grim653
Member since 2005 • 440 Posts
well i guess we can blame nintendo too since they were just talking about gameplay and motion this and motion that and where so busy showing devs how to create games with the wiimote and how the technology works that they forgot to mention the wii's graphical power so the devs just spend their time working with the wiimote that they leave the graphics for last since the wii is known more for its controller and not its graphical power
LProjektST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LProjektST
Member since 2005 • 1055 Posts

I really hope Factor 5 makes a new Rogue Squadron game on the Wii

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sepewrath

well i guess we can blame nintendo too since they were just talking about gameplay and motion this and motion that and where so busy showing devs how to create games with the wiimote and how the technology works that they forgot to mention the wii's graphical power so the devs just spend their time working with the wiimote that they leave the graphics for last since the wii is known more for its controller and not its graphical powergrim653

Thats no excuse, even if that was true. Must Nintendo hold thier hands throughout development giving them a walkthrough on every aspect of the system. I can understand that the gameplay should come first and foremost, but if you have to add an extra two months of development time to fully take advantage of the console. It should be done, so that the best quality product can be put on the market.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts
why would they go back to nintendo?? there so much  better off now, i bet there workin on great stuuf like  Lair 2 as we speak!:lol:
Ghostchant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ghostchant
Member since 2003 • 161 Posts

heck no, I don't want Factor 4.5 to come back to Nintendo. I don't want Lair on my Wii. Also I don't want Rare to come back either, crappy Perfect Dark Zero.akruan

In regards to Perfect Dark Zero...thank god, I saw this rating Gamespot gave it and wanted to vomit. Where did they pull that review? Next-gen started slow lol.

P.S. It kinda saddens me Wii doesn't support HD more, I bought an HDTV for my 360 and HD programming, and it makes the Wii games look kinda worse, and yes I'm using component cables and have the wii setup..

grim653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 grim653
Member since 2005 • 440 Posts
i know that is no excuse but think about nintendo always talked about the gameplay aspect of the system because it was not a graphical powerhouse and also nintendo aim for the casual their for devs dont care how the games look since its is aimed for the casual gamer and nintendo lets them make ps2 ports when it should'nt because it is giving the system a bad rep of not being more powerfull then xbox and bla bla bla and the devs are to blame as well since they are to freaken lazy to work 2 extra months to polish up the graphics because they just want to take the game out as soo as possible
andy7985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 andy7985
Member since 2005 • 554 Posts
sigh wish they could be played at 720p, 108p, and 1080i .........