The trend towards having a run button again is bizarre

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Two400 (2760 posts) -

Super Mario 3D World and Sonic Lost World: two games that have zero need for a run button! Analog sticks were meant to eliminate the need for one, as it's annoying to hold a run button when an analog stick can perform the function in a more efficient manner.

What do you think?

#2 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

A lot of games have them. It doesn't bother me too much unless it requires finger gymnastics to control efficiently.

#3 Posted by nini200 (9452 posts) -

It's similar to going back to Dual Analogs for FPS once you're used to more efficient controls (KB/M - WiiMote/Nunchuck), a pain but it works.

#4 Posted by quatoe (5664 posts) -

I do not mind a run button. As long as it doesn't hinder anything, which Super Mario 3D World didn't let happen. At least to me.

#5 Posted by Pierst179 (10707 posts) -

You do have a point, but - honestly - that set-up has never bothered me.

#6 Posted by KBFloYd (12872 posts) -

its a little annoying...i also wish they ran faster..they seem slow even when fully running.

#7 Edited by JordanElek (17713 posts) -

@Two400 said:

it's annoying to hold a run button when an analog stick can perform the function in a more efficient manner.

It can't, though. In 3D World, the length of your jump directly corresponds to your speed. With a run button, you know - with 100% confidence - whether you're running or walking in any given moment because you're either holding the button or you're not.

I would not want that to be determined by how far the analog stick is being pushed. The line between walk and run would be hazy, and in a game that requires as much precision as 3D World does, haziness is far more annoying than having to hold a button down.

The control in other 3D Mario games suffers a bit because of the lack of a run button. It's much harder to make precision jumps when your speed is determined by a tiny lever with several points of input rather than a solid binary action.

#8 Posted by Ovirew (6268 posts) -

I have always liked having a run button for most games. I'm so used to holding a button to run around, I tend to do it sometimes in games where the button has no function.

On a similar note, I also always screw around with the d-pad and various buttons whenever I try to catch a pokemon in any Pokémon game. Is anyone else this way? Yes? No? I wonder if it actually does help?

#9 Posted by FFCYAN (4923 posts) -

Most button actions in SM3DW are either run/projectile or jump. Don't act like playing 3D World is complicated with a run button. :|

#10 Posted by Two400 (2760 posts) -

@FFCYAN said:

Most button actions in SM3DW are either run/projectile or jump. Don't act like playing 3D World is complicated with a run button. :|

Not complicated, but games like Super Mario 64 were fine without one. At least make a separate option for those that don't care about tapping and holding the run button all the time.

#11 Edited by ANIMEguy10034 (4652 posts) -

I do prefer analog running, but I don't mind playing games that still have a run button.

@Ovirew said:

On a similar note, I also always screw around with the d-pad and various buttons whenever I try to catch a pokemon in any Pokémon game. Is anyone else this way? Yes? No? I wonder if it actually does help?

Pressing buttons have no benefits when catching pokemon, but I'm sure many people still do it to ease their mind, including me. It feels much better pressing buttons with determination than doing nothing but stare at the pokeball and hope for the best. :P

#12 Posted by juboner (351 posts) -

3dworld felt like a side scrolling mario bros game to me, and that is why it works well in 3dworld. 3dworld is more linear in level design opposed to galaxy and 64 where you explored. In 3dworld the level keeps u going in a certain path.