The Real Final Fantasy 3 SNES

This topic is locked from further discussion.

superserrano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 superserrano
Member since 2008 • 28 Posts

Am I the only one who sees this and the best in the entire series?

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#2  Edited By wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

Of the four FF games I've played, yes that one is by far the best

I own FFVII and plan to start it in a couple weeks so it may change next year

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Final Fantasy 7 is by far my favorite FF game because it is my all time favorite game.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#4  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

The SNES FF3 is not the real FF3. It's actually FF6. FF3 on the NES is the real FF3.

Also, of course you're not the only one who think it's the best in the series. I don't know why you'd even ask a question like that. No other FF game gets more praise.

Personally, I think it's the third best behind FF9 and FF10.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

Its good for the SNES I think its better than Chronno

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#6  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Of the ones I've played, it has the best story, atmosphere, soundtrack, etc. Five has the best battle system (the job system was simply ingenious). IV is also great even though it's really a pretty standard JRPG (now. Obviously it was quite important for the genre when it was first released). XIII is also pretty good, to me, at least, although I still need to beat it (on chapter XII).

There aren't very main game villains like Kefka, and there aren't very many twists in the genre like what happens at the halfway point. Plus, what other game allows you to use a Moogle to OHKO a boss with a desert dance? Mog is an absolute beast. I once did just that on accident. A boss appeared and I sued the desert dance. The quicksand ability activated and the boss died before it got the chance to use an attack. The wonderfully exploitative battle system in VI is awesome.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Final Fantasy 7 is by far my favorite FF game because it is my all time favorite game.

This is my answer too. I actually am in the last dungeon in FFVI and have been for many months and just haven't gotten around to sitting down and completing it. It is an amazing game though. VII, IV, and VI are masterpieces.

The soundtrack in FFVI is probably one of the best ever.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

@roboccs said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

This is my answer too. I actually am in the last dungeon in FFVI and have been for many months and just haven't gotten around to sitting down and completing it. It is an amazing game though. VII, IV, and VI are masterpieces.

LOVE the soundtrack of FFVI. Some of Nobuo Uematsu's finest work

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

VI was and is my favorite in the series, but I can't call it 3, because they were stupid to change the name for those outside of Japan in the first place (disingenuous is a kind way of putting it). The SNES version is still my favorite version of the game, even though the GBA version had more content. Music and sound have a lot to do with that.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa

@roboccs said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Have you played IX yet? I haven't beaten it and have to start over when I do play it again, but I got pretty far and it was a blast to play as well.

I own I, II, IV (III was stolen and needs replaced), V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XIII, and Tactics (PS1 version). I need to get III again as mentioned as well as XII, XIII-2, and XIII-3.

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#11  Edited By REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

This might sound silly, but a big roadblock for me playing the game (back when it re-released on the GBA) was only being able to move in four directions. It's a bit old school, by modern standards. (But I played it enough to understand why people love it so much.)

pandora_wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pandora_wizard
Member since 2008 • 56 Posts

It's definitely the best 2D Final Fantasy I've played. I also liked very much Final Fantasy 9, that would actually be amazing if FF9 was ported to the 3DS!

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

The SNES FF3 is not the real FF3. It's actually FF6. FF3 on the NES is the real FF3.

Also, of course you're not the only one who think it's the best in the series. I don't know why you'd even ask a question like that. No other FF game gets more praise.

No, its final fantasy 3 hence the big ass 3 on the box. Spouting that its actually FF6 was mildly impressive back on the days before the internet when it originally came out, but over the decades people line up to say that in an attempt to sound savvy and insightful when in reality its old hat, and most of all its incorrect.

In America its final fantasy 3. See?

So you can split hairs if you want but its still wrong because we all know which region he is referencing.

Oh and yes FF3 is the best FF game of them all in every possible way.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#14  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Gargus said:

@GreySeal9 said:

No, its final fantasy 3 hence the big ass 3 on the box. Spouting that its actually FF6 was mildly impressive back on the days before the internet when it originally came out, but over the decades people line up to say that in an attempt to sound savvy and insightful when in reality its old hat, and most of all its incorrect.

So you can split hairs if you want but its still wrong because we all know which region he is referencing.

lol. Why would I say that in an attempt to be savvy or insightful? Everybody knows that it's really FF6. The reason I corrected him is that he made a point of saying it's the "real" FF3 when it's not; if he had just said "FF3" without the "real" label, I wouldn't have said anything about it. The "real" FF3 is on the NES (and the DS).

And differences in regions doesn't change that it is literally the 6th entry in the series, especially considering that Final Fantasies 2, 3, and 5 are now available in America. Saying that it is FF3 just because there's a 3 on the box is pretty ridiculous (not sure why you think that particular logic is sound) considering that the actual Final Fantasy 3 is now on the DS in America.

Also, are you not aware that subsequent releases of FF6 in America have been titled FF6? If FF3 was the correct title just because there's a 3 on the box (lol), why would they bother to correct the title with subsequent American releases of the game?

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 turtlethetaffer

@MAILER_DAEMON: Maybe it's because I never played the SNES version, but I didn't have a problem with the sound in the GBA version. It's the only one I've played, and I thought the soundtrack was incredible.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MAILER_DAEMON

@turtlethetaffer said:

@MAILER_DAEMON: Maybe it's because I never played the SNES version, but I didn't have a problem with the sound in the GBA version. It's the only one I've played, and I thought the soundtrack was incredible.

The GBA version's sound was many times better than the PS1 version's, but there's something about the sound effects and soundtrack in the SNES version that just didn't work as well on other systems, for some reason. Specifically the ice sounds (there's an intensity to Ice Sword and Ice II that isn't there in other versions), Crono's sword slash, and the Lavos Core battle.

This was the best version of the PS1 version's I could find; it's just a recording of the battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7dv82oZTFw

Now go from there to the DS version, and the original SNES version.

Compare. Especially in which one is most "muffled" and which one is the most intense. Even Lavos' own cry, you can hear differences in all three...

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 turtlethetaffer

@MAILER_DAEMON: Wait. are we talking about FFVI or Chrono Trigger? I was referring to FFVI :P

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#18 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I'd say it is the best FF game ever made, yes

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MAILER_DAEMON

@turtlethetaffer said:

@MAILER_DAEMON: Wait. are we talking about FFVI or Chrono Trigger? I was referring to FFVI :P

Well, the same is true of everything in FFVI as well - PS1<GBA<SNES in terms of music and sound. ;)

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa

@Gargus said:

@GreySeal9 said:

Sadly for you, you are incorrect. Final Fantasy is a Japanese game. What it is in America is irrelevant. The way you are acting and handling this gives me the impression you are a kid that just got into gaming last gen. Take your incorrect crybaby attitude over to SW.

pandora_wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pandora_wizard
Member since 2008 • 56 Posts

Is anyone here know if they plan to make a 3D version of Final Fantasy 6?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

i dunno. i never played it as a kid, then as a teen i tried it and really liked it, but didn't beat it.

then i tried again last year (sadly didn't get to go really far), and while it's fun, its story is definitely not enjoyable because of its quality. it's got that charmingly bad quality to its writing.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa

@pandora_wizard said:

Is anyone here know if they plan to make a 3D version of Final Fantasy 6?

Not sure, but I would love that as well as a 3D remake of 7, 9, and Tactics.

EDIT: Let me add Vagrant Story to that list.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

It was my favorite... until I finished XIII.

XIII has an incredibly fun battle system that FINALLY taught me the benefits of all the different spells and attacks that have been in every FF game. I've played every mainline Final Fantasy game and finished all of them from IV to XIII-2 (except XII), but the battle system in XIII really unshackles you and lets you do all the fun stuff without feeling like you always need to save MP and items for harder enemies.

And while the story itself isn't told in the best way, the universe in which it takes place is awesome and well crafted. It sucks that you need to read all of the datalogs to get that information, but if you do, it makes XIII the first Final Fantasy game with a story that actually makes sense.

...and then they ruined it with a sequel that says "WAIT! That made too much sense! Let's go change it to be nonsensical! Ah.... that's better." XIII-2 is still really fun to play, but man, that story is gibberish.

FFVI does have my favorite music, though. Terra's theme is unforgettable, Celes' theme still has such an emotional pull, Locke's theme makes me want to be a hero, Kefka's theme almost makes me crazy just listening to it... It's all so good. Of all the game soundtracks I have, FFVI is the one that I could listen to straight through and not even think about skipping a single track.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Love VI. Waiting for it to drop on iOS, it just came out for Android. There's a thread over at Neogaf now with more whiners than I thought possible crying about all of Square's changes to the sprites.