The Potential of Amiibos for the future of Nintendo

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Well, here's an interesting thought, I always believe that Nintendo has tried to separate itself from following the trends of both Sony and Microsoft. As everyone knows, both Sony and Microsoft has PC gaming background as Sony once had the Vaio Brand before selling their branch and Microsoft with their dominance in the desktop enterprise space.

The two companies try to make their consoles feel more like PC consoles, while Nintendo has always done the complete opposite and sticking to their roots of making fun game-play like the Arcades of old. Now, straight to the point, would it be awesome if we can load games from Amiibos?

I mean, sure we are heading towards the end of Disc space games, and more into a digital future but I don't mind of having my game collection to be more like figurines and collectables! Maybe Nintendo is on to something for future Nintendo games being distributed? Sure the eShop will still be around, but will the Disc format be replaced by Amiibos?

Thoughts?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22367 Posts

Not a bad idea actually. Gives you a good reason to collect more of them!

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Yeah I've thought about this too. It's effectively get an Amiibo figure along with your digial copy of the game.

Alternatives can include more retro games (opposed to new release). So getting the Mario Amiibo comes with classic Mario games.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

The two companies try to make their consoles feel more like PC consoles, while Nintendo has always done the complete opposite and sticking to their roots of making fun game-play like the Arcades of old.

What exactly does this mean?

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

That would be fantastic, but it would need a better connection than just putting it on with the standard amiibo setup. You'd almost need to connect the amiibo and lock it in place on the console. Then you would need a durable case to hold the figurines and not just a cardboard box. It would make for great display stands though. I do like the idea.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I know theres Figures can store some basic information on them (or under them) but to key an entire game ? What would be the point ? I mean other than the fact than how cool it sounds.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

I know theres Figures can store some basic information on them (or under them) but to key an entire game ? What would be the point ? I mean other than the fact than how cool it sounds.

Well I think it could work like how installed games work on the 360. You only need to verify the disc to run the game from the hard drive. Instead of using the disc, you'd be using an Amiibo to verify the game. They would act more like keys to start your digital game, vs having a game on a disc. Either that or you'd need to have a slot that reads the Amiibo and they put the SD style card on the amiibo and use that to read the games. Either way it would be a more entertaining way to show a library vs having disc cases all over the place.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

The two companies try to make their consoles feel more like PC consoles, while Nintendo has always done the complete opposite and sticking to their roots of making fun game-play like the Arcades of old.

im pretty sure he means nintendo games rock...the other guys suck.

thats the gist of it.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@KBFloYd said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

thats the gist of it.

What I truely mean about my quote is that Sony and Microsoft will follow PC trends as everyone knows that the PS4 and Xbox One feel more like a HTPC (Home Theater PC) with games that can be optimize to run on them with their current specs. There's nothing wrong with having that, but I like my focus on games and Nintendo is the only gaming company that can provide an exclusive experience that you can't find on a PC.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

I don't know. I don't trust Nintendo to support Amiibo much. Smash and some other games maybe but where is big, Amiibo only experience a la Infinity/Skylanders?

This the same company that was going to drop the Game Boy for the Virtual Boy, the D-Pad they perfect on NES/SNES from the GameCube (it initially didn't have a D-Pad on the controller at all) and abandoned the Wii remote for the Game Pad (kinda)

Nintendo makes a wacky accessory/controller and then 5 years later acts like it didn't exist. So forgive if I'm not excited for Amiibos future. I'd love to buy some but I don't expect much other than a figure out of them. I don't think anything will replace physical games for a long time.

Every 5-6 years movie makers, TV production companies, and gaming companies will want to "raise the bar" on technology and get everyone to buy new TVs, new movie players, new music players, new etc. That means we'll always need a physical game disc until internet catches up in the US and poorer parts of the globe. SD lead to HD over the course 90's through 2005, HD is leading into UHD (4K) with 4K probably taking off with PS5/Next consoles on mass scale with new BluRay players, hew accessories, etc in 2017-2020. Then 8K will take off in 2030-2035. Every few years a new medium is pushed on consumers by content creators, thus always giving us the need to buy a physical device because that's the best way to make money, $30-$50 4K/8K/etc BluRays that require new investments, not $1-$10 apps/monthly services.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@KBFloYd said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

thats the gist of it.

What I truely mean about my quote is that Sony and Microsoft will follow PC trends as everyone knows that the PS4 and Xbox One feel more like a HTPC (Home Theater PC) with games that can be optimize to run on them with their current specs. There's nothing wrong with having that, but I like my focus on games and Nintendo is the only gaming company that can provide an exclusive experience that you can't find on a PC.

That's just not true. Both Sony and MS have their own exclusives that cannot be found on a PC either. Just because they don't cater to your particular tastes doesn't mean they don't exist. I feel bothered to list for both, but I know you probably realize this. Does Nintendo have more? Yes, I'll grant that, but being almost literally void of 3rd party support they have to, and frankly to my tastes, many of Nintendo's exclusives are utterly boring reiterations on the same concepts with slight changes going on for over three decades now. And if they're not the same franchises, they are dressed up in familiar clothing.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FireEmblem_Man

@MirkoS77 said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

That's just not true. Both Sony and MS have their own exclusives that cannot be found on a PC either. Just because they don't cater to your particular tastes doesn't mean they don't exist. I feel bothered to list for both, but I know you probably realize this. Does Nintendo have more? Yes, I'll grant that, but being almost literally void of 3rd party support they have to, and frankly to my tastes, many of Nintendo's exclusives are utterly boring reiterations on the same concepts with slight changes going on for over three decades now. And if they're not the same franchises, they are dressed up in familiar clothing.

I'm not talking about exclusives you know, I'm talking about how they feel more like a PC. Yes, they have their own exclusives granted, but they deeply rely on getting 3rd party games more than their own for their system to sell. I own an Xbox One, but majority of the games that I want, coming out for the Xbox One, is coming to the PC and I mean by 3rd parties. I'm proudly own my PC to compliment my Wii U, as I feel that owning an actual PC is better than owning a console that tries to be like a PC (Xbox One and PS4).

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Amiibos are silly to me as a function in a game. They are putting a pay wall behind something that should be imported through USB or uploaded digitally from one online account to another.

I like the detail on those figurines, but I do not like the pricing nor the philosophy behind it. Another indicator that Nintendo hates real change and wants to be a toy maker instead of an electronic entertainer.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

I think it's a terrible idea. Nintendo already tried this with the eReader and nearly all the same limitations apply here; the biggest being that the data transfer speed would be too slow and the data storage space would be too small.

Either the games are small, or they increase the cost of the Amiibos by including more memory (but retain the slow transfer speed), or worst of all the games are stored on the system and "unlocked" by the Amiibo... At which point you have to question why have the Amiibo be the middleman in the first place.

Unlocking bonus content and saving small chunks of you're personal data is all it needs to do.

Here's my idea. Nintendo.com sells personalized NFC keychains and mini Amiibos figurines modeled after your Mii, either those 2D rubber stamp type keychains, or full plastic figurines in your favorite pose... "Miibos".

You keychain Miibo stores your Mii and account information (name, NNID, and stuff so you can quickly transfer all you perts to a friend's Wii U /3DS), your settings for various games (Smash Bros control configurations), and if you choose, your password so that anytime a password prompt pops up, you can swipe your keychain.

Another nice thing is that since keychains are carried around, Nintendo gets free promotion.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Wow.... Such negativity !

Anyway I finally got Disney Infinity 2.0 and I must say when I placed the figure on to the base I was immediately hit with a strong sense of nostalgia, back in the days of Catridges !

Anyway.... Disney was pretty Clever, with every Figurine you purchse it comes with an online Code which you can use to play with your figures on Machines that don't support the Power Base like Mobile Devices,

Nintendo should totally do the exact same thing, they should go Multiplatform, twas good enough for Skylanders and its givin Disney a rather predatory edge (sneak up on the competition).