The OT Lounge: Nintendo Seal of Quality.. of Life... Edition

#301 Edited by roboccs (6848 posts) -

Anyone watching this US vs Russia hockey game? Really intense! BTW, haven't succombed to the temptation to buy a 3DS yet! I'm still considering because I've really wanted one but I'm saving for a PS4... However, what's making me waffle back and forth is the fact there are really no PS4 games that are must haves for me with even a release date. So I could buy a 3DS with my stockpile of Amazon cards and some games, keep asking for cards for future gifts and re-stock for when there are good games out... decisions, decisions...

#302 Posted by yokofox33 (28893 posts) -

Bravely Default is amazing. I love this game. I haven't unlocked many jobs yet, but I'm loving Thief and Monk. Can't wait to unlock Ninja and Pirate.

#303 Edited by JordanElek (17687 posts) -

@roboccs: You can save up another $200 by the time PS4 has games you want. You've held out for YEARS on a 3DS until it had a ton of great games, but you're more tempted to buy a PS4, which is more than twice as expensive and only has a couple of games??? Come on!

#304 Posted by roboccs (6848 posts) -

@JordanElek: LOL! I know! It's hilarious you say that because I just said ALMOST THE EXACT SAME THING TO MYSELF!

Plus, it's just a quirk that I have, I have a very hard time making big purchases... I go crazy going through the scenarios and asking myself if it's worth it, etc.

Ultimately it's done me more good than bad because I rarely impulse buy stuff.

#305 Posted by JordanElek (17687 posts) -

@roboccs said:

@JordanElek: LOL! I know! It's hilarious you say that because I just said ALMOST THE EXACT SAME THING TO MYSELF!

Plus, it's just a quirk that I have, I have a very hard time making big purchases... I go crazy going through the scenarios and asking myself if it's worth it, etc.

Ultimately it's done me more good than bad because I rarely impulse buy stuff.

I'm exactly the same way.

But I don't think three years of consideration is an impulse buy. :p

#306 Posted by roboccs (6848 posts) -

@JordanElek: I haven't wanted it for all three years...maybe half that. I thought it looked cool at first but unnecessary... Then as more games have come out and the price got more reasonable, it has slowly been building.... Then I think Zelda and then the recent emergence of Bravely Default (did you know I love RPGs :P ) has made me really want one.

#307 Edited by JordanElek (17687 posts) -

@roboccs: Well I look forward to the day in the not-so-very-distant future where you come here and say you finally caved. You're going to love Bravely Default.

#309 Posted by roboccs (6848 posts) -

@roboccs: Well I look forward to the day in the not-so-very-distant future where you come here and say you finally caved. You're going to love Bravely Default.

Yup... that day is today... An XL was on sale for $179. I got bravely default and A link Between worlds too!!! After I thought and thought, and then looked at the list of upcoming PS4 games and realized I was interested in 1 (Final Fantasy 15) and mildly 1 (Witcher 3), it was a no brainer. FF15 hasn't even been confirmed for 2014 and Witcher was never really on my radar anyway. Dragon Age 3 is intriguing too but that's also coming out for PS3 if Im not mistaken... I still have some unfinished business with my PS3 and Wii as well and I'm still enjoying those. I shouldn't have waited this long. With my work travel it's going to come in handy as well.

Plus, I have $37 on Glyde so I may get Mario Kart 7 as well... It's coming on Tuesday... SO PUMPED!!!

#310 Edited by Jaysonguy (37409 posts) -

@roboccs said:

@JordanElek said:

Yup... that day is today... An XL was on sale for $179. I got bravely default and A link Between worlds too!!! After I thought and thought, and then looked at the list of upcoming PS4 games and realized I was interested in 1 (Final Fantasy 15) and mildly 1 (Witcher 3), it was a no brainer. FF15 hasn't even been confirmed for 2014 and Witcher was never really on my radar anyway. Dragon Age 3 is intriguing too but that's also coming out for PS3 if Im not mistaken... I still have some unfinished business with my PS3 and Wii as well and I'm still enjoying those. I shouldn't have waited this long. With my work travel it's going to come in handy as well.

Plus, I have $37 on Glyde so I may get Mario Kart 7 as well... It's coming on Tuesday... SO PUMPED!!!

Good, we expect a friend code

#311 Posted by JordanElek (17687 posts) -

@roboccs said:

@JordanElek said:

Yup... that day is today...

lol, awesome! Now you can play for crazy at home.

Post your friend code when you know it and we can all be friends. And when you get Mario Kart, we can do some old fashioned OT Lounge races.

#312 Posted by roboccs (6848 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: Absolutely. Tuesday can't come soon enough

#313 Edited by moltenix (2483 posts) -

I am loving Bravely Default! I'm at a complete loss as to which jobs and abilities I want to mix up though.. so many freakin' choices! :O

Just starting Chapter 4, any suggestions?

Update: FYI - Thief and Ninja are all kinds of awesome.

#314 Posted by yokofox33 (28893 posts) -

@moltenix: Yeah, Thief/Ninja is my ultimate goal for Tiz. And then back it up with Monk/Something.

#315 Posted by roboccs (6848 posts) -

@JordanElek: I plan on getting it eventually. MKDS Was the only game I ever enjoyed playing online so I'm looking forward to mk7

#316 Edited by JordanElek (17687 posts) -

@moltenix: Yes, be my 3DS friend. ;)

I'm only on Chapter 2. I've just been leveling up a secondary job or two to supplement my characters' main jobs until something superior comes along.

Right now, Tiz is a knight with sword magic, Agnes is a black mage with white magic, Ringabel is a monk with thievery, and Edea is a newly christened summoner with white magic.

#317 Posted by moltenix (2483 posts) -

My FC is 4511-0558-4410.

Right now my party is - Agnes: White Mage w/ Spiritmaster, Tiz: Ninja w/ Spellfencer, Ringabel: Theif w/ Ninja, Edea: Pirate w/ Spellfencer

Still unsure what I want to do with Edea, she was a Black Mage up until Chapter4. Tiz is dishing out some crazy damage though; dual wielding daggers w/ elemental damage from Spellfencer. Ringabel is pretty beast as well - lifesteal for self healing and the ninja move that lets you dodge one physical attack.

#318 Posted by yokofox33 (28893 posts) -

I don't have many classes right now. I just acquired Time Mage and Spell Fencer. Right now my lineup is:

Tiz: Thief/Monk
Edea: Knight/Spell Fencer
Agnes: Black Mage/Time Mage
Ringabel: Black Mage/White Mage

#319 Edited by JordanElek (17687 posts) -
#320 Edited by _HazBro_ (124 posts) -

Robocss, you gave in! Yay! I just started Bravely Default today before I had to go out, it's pretty good so far!

Also I did it backwards, I had an original 3DS, got the 3DS XL and now I bought the original 3DS (purple) and I'm going to sell the XL. Screens are nicer, battery is slightly better, but I missed the portability (I take it everyday with me to work) and I miss the speakers, so I just got the original again.

#321 Posted by JordanElek (17687 posts) -

I just finished Tomb Raider. What a dumb game. I think that kind of experience just isn't for me. Every time I saw a combat area ahead I groaned, but the rest of the game was little more than simple traversal while things fell apart around me. It was cool for a little while but as a too-long game, it wore thin less than halfway through.

I think I need a good mechanics-centric game next. You know, something that I can get better at, something that's actually fun. Dark Souls 2 isn't until May for me.

#322 Edited by roboccs (6848 posts) -

Does Bravely Default have a decent story? Is there a world map to traverse or is it really linear? Just curious.

I'll be continuing my quest to beat Arc Rise Fantasia tomorrow morning. I think I'm really close now. What a pleasant surprise that game turned out to be.

#323 Edited by moltenix (2483 posts) -

Spent all day playing Bravely Default. It's been an absolute joy... but i've gotten to a certain point (late in the game) where this game has gone from "Amazing" to "Ugghh!".

#324 Posted by yokofox33 (28893 posts) -

@roboccs: The story is nothing special (so far), but it's solid enough where you wonder what's going to happen. There is a world map to traverse where you can battle enemies and enter towns/caves/etc. The actual dungeons though are fairly linear with some deviating paths that lead to treasure or alternate routes.

The game is highly worth it though for the battle systems and plethora of jobs to use.

#325 Posted by wiifan001 (18312 posts) -

@moltenix said:

Spent all day playing Bravely Default. It's been an absolute joy... but i've gotten to a certain point (late in the game) where this game has gone from "Amazing" to "Ugghh!".

Define "Ugghh!" without spoilers

#326 Edited by _HazBro_ (124 posts) -
@moltenix said:

I remember reading reviews that said sort of the same thing, curious to see what that'll be once I get there.

I watched a bit of TitanFall footage. I don't get it. It's my fault I guess for assuming that they were trying to "change the game" when it came to FPS but it doesn't really seem like the case. It looks like Call of Duty but you can jump now and go into mechs. Most of the footage that's come out from the beta is kind of underwhelming. I was already pretty tired of FPS since they've saturated for so many years now... but I was kind of hoping TitanFall would be different enough to get me interested in the genre again, but it doesn't look like it.

#327 Posted by roboccs (6848 posts) -

@wiifan001: I think they show it in the Gametrailers review... It's not too spoilerish but sounds crappy.

Overall game still looks right in my wheelhouse! Can't wait to play it.

#328 Posted by _HazBro_ (124 posts) -

Team USA is lucky you guys have Kessel. Hopefully he continues his good play when he comes back from the Olympic break... y'know it'd be nice to see the Leafs get past the first round in the playoffs >_>.

That being said... I still hope Team Canada wins it, of course.

#329 Posted by roboccs (6848 posts) -

@_hazbro_: Kessel's awesome.

I predict another US vs Canada gold medal game. Should be awesome.

#330 Posted by moltenix (2483 posts) -

@moltenix said:

Define "Ugghh!" without spoilers

Let's just say past a certain part, things start to become a little tedious and repetitive. If you're already playing, I wouldn't let this discourage you. I'm at 35 hours and enjoyed it a lot; it's just near the end that's a bit of a chore if you're gonna go straight for the end. It's probably not as bad if you do some things inbetween (going back to the blue chests, maxing out jobs, trying out some of the new jobs, etc.).

#331 Posted by Jaysonguy (37409 posts) -

@_hazbro_ said:

I watched a bit of TitanFall footage. I don't get it. It's my fault I guess for assuming that they were trying to "change the game" when it came to FPS but it doesn't really seem like the case. It looks like Call of Duty but you can jump now and go into mechs. Most of the footage that's come out from the beta is kind of underwhelming. I was already pretty tired of FPS since they've saturated for so many years now... but I was kind of hoping TitanFall would be different enough to get me interested in the genre again, but it doesn't look like it.

I really like it, I had the devs to play with and talk me through the game so I think that's how I got up to speed so fast.

I think it's new because it's never been done before, there's this pseudo tug of war between mechs and men and each one has the advantage that works on the fly. You need to approach each class differently but making your way across a map you may need to switch from mech to man 2 or three times.

The biggest thing is that in games like COD and Battlefield (which are both great this year for multiplayer) the same things can kill each unit. In TitanFall you have a very different set of ways to kill each class.

#332 Posted by roboccs (6848 posts) -

I know Bravely Default is all the rage right now but between that and A link Between Worlds, I'm more exited for ALBW... I watched a few reviews and the game looks amazing! And I've been playing ALttP lately too so I'm in Zelda mode!

#333 Edited by JordanElek (17687 posts) -

@moltenix said:

You're late in the game but your abilink is still a level 10 Freelancer Tiz! Send us a better attack!

@roboccs said:

Does Bravely Default have a decent story? Is there a world map to traverse or is it really linear? Just curious.

It's structured exactly like a SNES Final Fantasy game, but it gives you more direction. Imagine Final Fantasy VI but with map markers for the main quest and sidequests.

#334 Posted by roboccs (6848 posts) -

@JordanElek: Sounds amazing. But here's the real question... Is the overworld map theme music epic? Most of the best JRPGs have classic music playing in the world map.

#335 Posted by JordanElek (17687 posts) -

@roboccs: Yep. All the of music is fantastic.

#336 Posted by Allicrombie (25085 posts) -

I've been addicted to Homepassing (Streetpassing from home) lately. Got tons of new passes without leaving the house. Flower Town is quickly becoming my favorite Mii Plaza game.

#337 Posted by _HazBro_ (124 posts) -

@Allicrombie: Lucky. I live in a condo and I don't get any of that.

#338 Edited by Allicrombie (25085 posts) -

@_hazbro_: Here's a google docs guide on how to set everything up. It's quite easy (especially if I can figure it out). There are guides for every OS. It's basically just changing the MAC address on your router, either manually or automatically through a script, letting you ping different global relay points so you can get more passes without leaving home.

#339 Edited by TTUalumni13 (444 posts) -

So I downloaded the Tearaway demo, and the game is fantastic. Going to go pick it up when I get a chance. It reeks of fun, and the demo itself was nice and hefty, actually got a good feel for the game. Wish more demos were like that.

#340 Edited by moltenix (2483 posts) -

So I got through the tedious part in Bravely Default, now i`m getting obliterated by a semi-final boss... on easy mode. :`(

I really don't feel like grinding for this... insta-kill sucks so much.

#341 Edited by _HazBro_ (124 posts) -

@Allicrombie: Wow, lol. I didn't even know you could do that. Though, I'm almost done all the puzzle pieces at this point, I need like 40 more. :(.

Also lol at GameSpot's DKC Tropical Freeze review. I just read it and I don't understand.

#342 Posted by roboccs (6848 posts) -

@_hazbro_: About the DKC review, that's what I expected. When the game was announced it looked really underwhelming and same old stuff... It looks like the same game we've seen for years now.

Maybe I'm biased because I've never gotten excited for DKC games.

The only thing I disagree with in the reviews are the negative comments about the graphics and style. When I watch the vids of the game I think it looks beautiful and everything moves so smoothly.

Hopefully now retro gets to work on something a bit more exciting and fresh.

#343 Posted by Jaysonguy (37409 posts) -

I've been addicted to Homepassing (Streetpassing from home) lately. Got tons of new passes without leaving the house. Flower Town is quickly becoming my favorite Mii Plaza game.

PAX gets me a ton of Streetpasses, only problem is that 10 new people limit really limits the overall numbers you can get.

#344 Posted by moltenix (2483 posts) -

Good ol' Gamespot reviews...

If it weren't for the Nintendo forums, i'd have left here long ago. :P

#345 Posted by Jaysonguy (37409 posts) -

@moltenix said:

Good ol' Gamespot reviews...

If it weren't for the Nintendo forums, i'd have left here long ago. :P

Looks like they're not clouding their review with nostalgia from the awful Rare series that killed the franchise.

#346 Posted by roboccs (6848 posts) -

This is why I don't really listen to reviews when I make my purchases. GS gave a 6, IGN a 9 for DKC...

I usually watch YouTube vids, gather review trends in areas that mean a lot to me, and then user comment and opinions.

I'm guessing DKC is somewhere in the middle for the majority of people... GS is usually a tough reviewer and IGN typically hands out 8's and 9's at the drop of a hat.

#347 Posted by JordanElek (17687 posts) -

Tropical Freeze looks amazing and I loved Returns, but I'm not in a rush to play it. I have other things to play right now, and DK isn't the type of game you need to play along with everyone else to get the full experience.

Some day.

#348 Edited by moltenix (2483 posts) -

Just finished Bravely Default. Kind of used a cheap combo to get past the final boss but I just wanted to finish the game without more grinding.

Clocked in 48 hours according to my Activity Log. Despite things falling apart towards the end, I enjoyed it. Really loved the battle and job system. It'll be weird going into the next RPG without being able to turn off random encounters.

#349 Posted by JordanElek (17687 posts) -

@moltenix: Did you do all of the side quests or did you start to mainline the story at some point?

#350 Edited by moltenix (2483 posts) -

@JordanElek: I finished all but one of the sidequests; the Vampire castle. You can first do it late Chapter 4 but it's quite challenging to do it right away. I decided not to come back for it afterwards; didn't really need that job anyway.

Spoiler regarding subquests for later chapters:

You can rebattle the subquest bosses later in the game. They are stronger plus there's new dialogue for them. I didn't care to rebattle any of them and just focused on the (repetitive) main story at that point.