The OT Lounge: Nintendo Seal of Quality.. of Life... Edition

#1201 Edited by JordanElek (17715 posts) -

@roboccs: I played all the NES games at some point, but I only owned 4-7, so those were the only ones I ever finished, I think. The ending of 2 was really familiar, so either I finished it during a rental at some point or I've seen a video of it.

I've never played 8 or 10, but I loved 9. It was one of those games I decided to go through in a bubble, so I didn't read any strategies or anything. I had a sticky note with each boss's weakness as I learned them so that I could destroy them in the boss rush at the end.

I never heard anything great about 10, so I never bought it. Maybe I will at some point. I wouldn't even know how to get ahold of 8, though that wasn't an NES game, so it doesn't really count to me.

#1202 Edited by wiifan001 (18343 posts) -

I played Mega man 1-6 and also 9, haven't got around 7 or 8 yet but I'll get around to them when I get back home. They are on my mega man collection gamecube disc.

I agree that 2 and 3 are among the best albeit the popular opinions, Mega Man 5 was amazing, number 9 is my favorite.

#1203 Edited by roboccs (6894 posts) -

Yeah, 9 was a very pleasant surprise and came out of nowhere. I read nothing about it so it was weird going into it not knowing the best order. If I recall, for the past MM games I played, I always checked out the order to make life easier. 3 was the first MM I played so I probably didn't check the order the first time I played through. But after that I always tried to find the best order. For 9, I remembered it being real fun going in cold not knowing anything.

#1204 Posted by HaziqAgha (80 posts) -

@roboccs: You definitely should, it's fantastic. Plus they're adding more content for free. I read an interview from one of the team members, they said they're going to try to keep the price firm but add content on top of the game to increase the value proposition. It's an interesting approach.

#1205 Posted by commonfate (12094 posts) -

Any Project M players here?

#1206 Posted by roboccs (6894 posts) -

@commonfate: What's a project M? Long time no see by the way!

#1207 Posted by HaziqAgha (80 posts) -

This rain makes me think summer is already over.

#1208 Posted by commonfate (12094 posts) -

@roboccs said:

@commonfate: What's a project M? Long time no see by the way!

Howdy. As you can see by my sig I'm all RPGd out right now but I'm loving it. What have you been playing?

Project M is a modified version of Brawl that allows for more technical gameplay. If you're really curious just check out this trailer

#1209 Posted by HaziqAgha (80 posts) -

That Germany vs Brazil game was hard to watch. I literally went downstairs at work to get a coffee and it went from 1-0 to 3-0 by the time I got downstairs. Then while I was ordering, it was 5-0. A complete massacre. I feel bad for Brazil to be defeated so badly on home court.

#1210 Posted by roboccs (6894 posts) -

@commonfate: I've been playing Mario Kart 8 and NSMBU. Also chipping away at Links Awakening on 3Ds and Tales of Symphonia Chronicles on PS3.

Also, resumed my 2nd playthrough of Xenoblade... Even though I have a backlog of unfinished games I can't pull myself away from Xenonlade...

#1211 Posted by commonfate (12094 posts) -

@roboccs said:

@commonfate: I've been playing Mario Kart 8 and NSMBU. Also chipping away at Links Awakening on 3Ds and Tales of Symphonia Chronicles on PS3.

Also, resumed my 2nd playthrough of Xenoblade... Even though I have a backlog of unfinished games I can't pull myself away from Xenonlade...

Nice on Xenoblade. I still have that and the Last Story on Wii to dig through. Gonna just have to crunch down on some of these games and stop hopping around on them.

#1212 Edited by roboccs (6894 posts) -

Club Nintendo has been putting out some good games to buy with your coins! Right now Paper Mario 64 for 250 coins... Very tempting, I never played that one.

#1213 Posted by HaziqAgha (80 posts) -

I have 1,300 coins and nothing I want to buy on Club Nintendo lol.

#1214 Edited by roboccs (6894 posts) -

I have 360 coins right now and I think I forgot to register Bravely Default and Link Bet Worlds so I'm deciding if I want Paper Mario or hold out for something better.

#1215 Posted by roboccs (6894 posts) -

I recently complained that there was no easy way to get the WiiU into wii mode since the update... I figured out how to do it... Turn the WiiU on with a wiimote and once it connects, hold B and it goes into wii mode like it used to when you held B on the gamepad... Only now it actually works 100% of the time instead of it being a crap shoot before. I apologize Nintendo...

#1216 Posted by JordanElek (17715 posts) -

@roboccs: Dammit, I sold my WiiU after seeing your first post about that....

But seriously, seriously. I've been using Wii Mode all week, so that's good to know. I use it on the TV because I'm not insane, but that at least takes a couple of steps out of the process.

#1217 Posted by TTUalumni13 (456 posts) -

@roboccs: heh, now you see why I kept going back to it :p I'd highly recommend doing a bunch of the side quests, you get into some really interesting lore by doing so! Plus you get gems and armor that is really useful for fighting some of the super bosses (which are some of the best fights I the game)

#1218 Posted by Pierst179 (10709 posts) -

Too bad the World Cup is over. It was fun while it lasted.

Now, as far as sports go, it is time to set my focus back to the MLB season. As a bonus, the British Open is coming up next week, and I can't wait.

#1219 Edited by JordanElek (17715 posts) -

I remembered Megaman 4 as the hardest one (out of 4-7), but I just finished it without a single continue. I died less than ten times and had upwards of six energy tanks at one point. It's definitely easier than the others (more energy tanks lying around, more health pickups and extra lives), though the bosses generally took more of a beating.

I also think I'm just better at the game after playing three of them back to back.

Next is Megaman 5, which I remember as the easiest, so it should be a breeze. I think 5 is the one I played most as a kid.

#1220 Posted by roboccs (6894 posts) -

@Pierst179: I'm so glad Germany scored that late goal. I didn't care who won but I was so glad it didn't go to PK's. Both teams played very cautious for most of the game I thought even though I don't know a whole lot about the game.

You're rooting for the Tigers to get it done this year right ;)

#1221 Posted by HaziqAgha (80 posts) -

I'm excited for basketball to come back. The Raptors haven't been good in years, but the spurt last year got me interested in the team again. I used to watch the Raptors often but once Chris Bosh left I lost all hope.

They have a solid team now and they've made some good moves, I think we can get pretty far in the Playoffs going forward.

#1222 Posted by Pierst179 (10709 posts) -
@roboccs said:

@Pierst179: I'm so glad Germany scored that late goal. I didn't care who won but I was so glad it didn't go to PK's. Both teams played very cautious for most of the game I thought even though I don't know a whole lot about the game.

You're rooting for the Tigers to get it done this year right ;)

Since my Yankees are terrible, I will be rooting for the A's.

But the Tigers are probably my 2nd AL "option". I am hoping for an ALCS between both.

#1223 Posted by wiifan001 (18343 posts) -

Finished my 1st of 4 finals, with 100%, but I have one final thing left to do, a quiz. I have an A- in this class (Network Design) and this final quiz will determine whether my final grade stays an A- or bumps up to an A.

*chattered teeth*

#1224 Edited by roboccs (6894 posts) -
#1225 Posted by HaziqAgha (80 posts) -

I hate Windows 8.

#1226 Posted by wiifan001 (18343 posts) -

I got an A. Woot! One class down, 4 to go.

#1227 Posted by HaziqAgha (80 posts) -
#1228 Posted by wiifan001 (18343 posts) -

@wiifan001: Nice.

Is this your last year?

I'm looking at 2016 since I changed my major this year, could graduate next year but I'm not going to rush it

#1229 Posted by TTUalumni13 (456 posts) -

@wiifan001: very smart to not rush, most students now graduate in 5-6 years anyways!

#1230 Posted by wiifan001 (18343 posts) -

There are hardly any majors anymore that can be knocked out in 4 years, unless you're in a fast-grad situation

#1231 Posted by wiifan001 (18343 posts) -

Oh snap! We have had heavy rain and a hail storm, and some flooding. The building to where I have 4 classes on Wednesdays flooded so much that all classes are freekin cancelled! 4 classes drop to zilch, WOOOOO!

#1232 Posted by JordanElek (17715 posts) -

There are hardly any majors anymore that can be knocked out in 4 years, unless you're in a fast-grad situation

Ugh, the scam keeps getting worse. I hope that whole system is better by the time our kids are college age.

#1233 Posted by HaziqAgha (80 posts) -

@wiifan001: I took 5 years to complete mine. I stayed an extra year, so I divided my course load.

#1234 Edited by roboccs (6894 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: Hay Jay, I think you're the only one here I can recall playing FIFA... Is FIFA12 any good? I can get it real cheap and I've been really itching to get into a soccer video game since the World Cup. I'm surprised 13 is still pretty pricey for how old it is... Even on WiiU!

I thought I remember 12 really starting to revolutionize the engine and the. 13 improved on it... So is 12 pretty good?

#1235 Posted by HaziqAgha (80 posts) -

So I have a question about sports games. What does one do when it's time for the new game to come out? Do you guys just end up trading in the old version and wait for the new release?

I play NBA2K14 pretty regularly but NBA2K15 will be out in October... so do I get rid of it now while it'll have more value or...?

#1236 Posted by Jaysonguy (37502 posts) -

@roboccs said:

@Jaysonguy: Hay Jay, I think you're the only one here I can recall playing FIFA... Is FIFA12 any good? I can get it real cheap and I've been really itching to get into a soccer video game since the World Cup. I'm surprised 13 is still pretty pricey for how old it is... Even on WiiU!

I thought I remember 12 really starting to revolutionize the engine and the. 13 improved on it... So is 12 pretty good?

Yeah, you have it right.

12 had the new engine, 13 improved on it, and then the next gen consoles got a new engine for 14

12 is a fun game, there's some exploits in the play (think the fullback out of the backfield on a slant you could run forever in early 2000's Madden) but if it's cheap it's worth it. Also since you're not a FIFA fan like you are Madden an outdated roster wont feel that foreign to you.

#1237 Posted by HaziqAgha (80 posts) -

Reading about Microsoft cutting 18,000 jobs feels like a 'finally' moment. Not because I'm happy people are losing their jobs, that's terrible, but because Microsoft was in desperate need of refocusing. They're so behind in virtually every aspect of their business. Windows as an OS needs to be changed, Windows 8 is pretty bad. They're losing ground in the enterprise space too, especially now with IBM and Apple being partners in that space. Their mobile and tablet market is atrocious. The Xbox brand is a bottomless pit for losing money.

It's even worse now that Microsoft's made their patents public. All the other OEMs that make Android devices will probably now purposely design their devices with those patents in mind. If you didn't know, Microsoft gets $15 off of every Android phone sold because of those patents, they make more money from that then their own Windows Phones and it's what's given them profitability to sustain their shitty Xbox division. The possibility of them losing that now means they'll probably be at risk and will sell it off.

Good riddance.

#1238 Posted by roboccs (6894 posts) -

@haziqagha: if you want to sell, then the sooner the better. I've never sold my sports games, they have little I think... But something is better than nothing I guess. Just hope the new version doesn't suck.

Also, if you love the current version and you don't feel like upgrading, sites like operationsports.com have communities that will update the rosters manually and then you can download the file from the site. MLB The Show has a great community for rosters. There's a guy who makes a full minor league roster for all teams that's better than the official. He's even had shouts out to him during the pause screen in game! I bet NBA2K has an active community too.

@Jaysonguy: Your point about the risottos is one of the main reasons I don't mind looking back at old versions. I know very little. Thanks for the feedback.

#1239 Edited by JordanElek (17715 posts) -
#1240 Posted by roboccs (6894 posts) -

@JordanElek: HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Curse you autocomplete!!! Rosters... I meant rosters! Do any of you post from your phone regularly? I should proofread more. XD

Risotto is a pain to make... You gotta keep folding in chicken broth and keep attending to it. White or brown rice is easier, I'm great at those. When the risotto turns out though...it's delicious!

#1241 Posted by TTUalumni13 (456 posts) -

@haziqagha: honestly unless there is a new feature of the version you may be better off waiting. I still play NCAA 09 and NBA 2k12 and love it, just see very little upgrade in the newer variats (though I'll probably pick up the newest NCAAF since they're ending the series for now).

#1242 Posted by roboccs (6894 posts) -

@ttualumni13: I imagine the NCAA football 14 community will remain strong for awhile. It wasn't as popular as Madden, but they had a rabid and loyal fan base. I can't believe it's being discontinued. I wonder if 2k will pick up the license for NCAA... I never played them but people swear the 2k football games were better than the EA ones.

#1243 Posted by HaziqAgha (80 posts) -

I've been pretty disappointed with games lately/having a hard time playing anything, but I'll say Kirby Triple Deluxe is really good.

#1244 Posted by wiifan001 (18343 posts) -

It's all about three finals on Monday and some Frank Sinatra while studying for them

#1245 Posted by TTUalumni13 (456 posts) -

@roboccs: The NCAA games were almost all that kept me from going crazy waiting for college football to start up again. This year is even worse since it's the first we have season tickets... Unfortunately, unless they come out with a game with randomly generated players, names numbers, and ratings, it'll be years before the legal aspects of amateur players being able to receive compensation for their likeness being used is resolved to a point where another game could be made.

It's probably the only series other than 2D mario that I have consistently purchased and cared about over the years. I wish they would at least have one more for 2015. The stadium mapping for 14 came before Tech finished the north endzone renovations, so it looks like if I get 14 i'll be playing pre-expansion for a few years :(

#1246 Edited by Jaysonguy (37502 posts) -

@roboccs said:

I wonder if 2k will pick up the license for NCAA... I never played them but people swear the 2k football games were better than the EA ones.

Since it was only 20 bucks at launch I grabbed NFL 2K5, what a crapfest.

It had a much better presentation but other than that it's horrible. The passing was so robotic that it felt more like you were controlling a turret. The running was so bad. The linemen gravitated to each other so how you got stops on defense or gains on offense was mathematical outcomes that would pit the rating of the lineman against the rating of the defender/running back. So if a 98 rated running back was going at a line that had no one above an 80 that back would almost always make it through. Same goes for a defender.

I hated that game so much. I think that's the only game I truly felt that I made a bad purchase of a game.

#1247 Posted by wiifan001 (18343 posts) -

Man,
In my System Security class the professor says he may or may not curve the final.

I just took it, and If I had gotten 2% higher on the final, I'd have an A in the class. Please curve me a 2% favor!

#1248 Posted by HaziqAgha (80 posts) -

There's so many rumours about PS4 re-releases of PS3 games. I'm getting The Last of Us Remastered, but I don't want to see a flood of re-releases to cover the PS4's catalogue. One or two is fine but it seems like every hit from last generation on the PS3 is rumoured to be re-released.

Why..?

#1249 Edited by wiifan001 (18343 posts) -
  • The Order
  • The Division
  • Batman Arkham Knight
  • Witcher 3
  • Quantum Break
  • Destiny PC

And now Battlefield Hardline, all delayed to 2015!

Devs need to stop announcing release dates so freekin early!

May as well push back CoD AW, Smash bros and Far Cry 4 into 2015 too

#1250 Posted by JordanElek (17715 posts) -

Games I love: Megaman. I've played through all of the NES ones (except 7 because it's not on VC yet) and loved every minute of it. Now I'm playing 9 and it's actually the best one since either 2 or 3. The difficulty is spot on, the music is fantastic, the addition of minibosses and screws (lifted from 8) is great.... Megaman is awesome.

Games I hate: Pokemon. I decided to pick X back up as my 3DS game, and I realized why I stopped playing. Everything is so obtuse and inefficient. You're supposed to use strategy but the information you need for strategy isn't located in the game, and if it is, you can't access it when you need it. It's a pain to play, and I don't like it.

But I'll still try to work my way through until I can't stand it any more.