The OT Lounge: Nintendo Seal of Quality.. of Life... Edition

#601 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4679 posts) -

@moltenix said:

How's the first day of spring for everyone?

Very windy. It was nice during the afternoon (50 F / 10 C), but it dropped to the 30s F (i think -1 C).

Now that I'm meeting so many international people in college, I'm starting to wish the United States slowly converted to the metric system. Telling the weather or distance can get pretty confusing for both me and my international friends lol

#602 Posted by _HazBro_ (124 posts) -
#603 Posted by JordanElek (17733 posts) -

Now that I'm meeting so many international people in college, I'm starting to wish the United States slowly converted to the metric system. Telling the weather or distance can get pretty confusing for both me and my international friends lol

I found out that Canadian Subway still has footlongs, so I just talk to Canadians about length in terms of that.

It's supposed to be warm today, but I woke up to a tenth of a footlong of snow on the ground and it wasn't even forecast.... It'll probably be gone by the time I leave for work, but nature must've been like "oh, crap, I can see grass there, I can't let that stand, here's more snow!"

#604 Posted by Enforcedspot (2915 posts) -

I'm thinking of buying a surface pro this year. I'm kinda tired of using my mac laptop.

#605 Posted by _HazBro_ (124 posts) -

I ended up getting this last night:

For the longest time I couldn't come up with a use case for a tablet. My laptop is really, really slow and I was fed up using when I was at home for casual browsing. I have my phone, but I wanted something faster than a phone and with a bigger screen. The Nexus 7 2nd Generation is perfect. 7" is a great size, 1920x1200 HD display at 223ppi, a Snapdragon S4 Pro processor and running Android 4.4.2 Kit Kat. It's a massive upgrade from my netbook.

I was actually debating between the original Microsoft Surface with Windows RT, iPad Mini 1st Gen and the Nexus 7 2nd Gen. I was initially leaning towards the Surface but then I realized Windows RT is basically garbage so that wiped that out of the equation. I liked the iPad Mini 1st Gen but the screen resolution is worse, the new one with the Retina Display was too pricey for me. Plus, I'm not a fan of iOS and how restrictive Apple is -- so I ended up going with the Nexus 7 2nd Gen since I'm already pretty happy with the Android ecosystem. I love using apps like MightyText, which there is no Apple equivalent (at least to my knowledge).

Plus, loading up my tablet with HD movies and shows is amazing, it'll be super useful on my work commute (though... I should probably play my 3DS instead).

#606 Posted by roboccs (6911 posts) -

@_hazbro_: That's pretty awesome actually. Any gaming potential for that thing?

I personally will always love console gaming the best, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm really digging having the 3DS. Being able to squeeze in short gaming spurts in 10-15 minute intervals is great. I'm really happy with my purchase so far. It's such a neat little machine.

#607 Posted by _HazBro_ (124 posts) -

@roboccs: Maybe but I've never really been a fan of any games on mobile. I wouldn't mind playing the older Final Fantasy games on this, but I'm not paying $14.99 for those. If it ever goes on sale then probably. The only game I downloaded so far is Quiz Up, which is pretty good actually.

I'm glad you're liking the 3DS, it's actually really awesome. It's pretty interesting to see how Nintendo can do so well on the software and eShop side on the 3DS and then you look at the Wii U where they haven't done nearly as much in the same amount of time. Obviously it's easier and cheaper to make games on the 3DS but still, it's such a powerhouse. It's like the 3DS and Wii U were made by different companies.

#608 Posted by Jaysonguy (37532 posts) -

I have to wait until May for this...

#609 Posted by roboccs (6911 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: I know! How great does that look?!? My brother has a PS4 and I'm dying to play it. It was already fantastic on PS3 so I can't imagine the glory that will be the PS4 version.

#610 Posted by JordanElek (17733 posts) -

I was reading back through this thread to see if I had already said something, and I came across this and realized I somehow missed it and never replied and that's horribly rude of me:

@roboccs said:

@JordanElek: Nice tease there! You belong in the media :P

How did the website know to contact you? Did they read your work somewhere else first?

The guy who runs the site is a Gamespot member and has been for years. We talked quite a bit back in the day, probably about ten years ago now. We hadn't talked for awhile, but he wanted to ramp up content for the site and thought of me as part of that, I guess.

#611 Posted by JordanElek (17733 posts) -

Oh yeah, and I was going to say that I'm struggling with uncontrollable physical anticipation for Dark Souls 2. It's still a month away, but that's closer than it's ever been, and when I think about it, I scream like a girl.

I can't remember the last time I was this excited for a game.

#612 Posted by Jaysonguy (37532 posts) -

I was reading back through this thread to see if I had already said something, and I came across this and realized I somehow missed it and never replied and that's horribly rude of me:

@roboccs said:

@JordanElek: Nice tease there! You belong in the media :P

How did the website know to contact you? Did they read your work somewhere else first?

The guy who runs the site is a Gamespot member and has been for years. We talked quite a bit back in the day, probably about ten years ago now. We hadn't talked for awhile, but he wanted to ramp up content for the site and thought of me as part of that, I guess.

Yeah, I hear there's a calling for you in a few places......

#613 Posted by JordanElek (17733 posts) -

Yeah, I hear there's a calling for you in a few places......

What? WHAT???

#614 Posted by roboccs (6911 posts) -

@JordanElek: Yeah that was awfully rude of you and it made me lose a lot of respect for your and your overall character... :P

#615 Edited by TTUalumni13 (461 posts) -

Soooo tired. Had a three and a half day weekend, so we drove back home to visit family and shoot since we don't have any non-gouging pistol ranges around here. We disintegrated many a grapefruit and melon :P 20 hour round trip drive though, so I'm beat -_-

#616 Posted by Pierst179 (10729 posts) -

I was finally able to track down a copy of Azran Legacy today!

Now I just have to wait a few days until it arrives. I can't wait to play the last Layton adventure.

I will miss walking around with the professor and kicking some ass in a completely gentlemanly way.

#617 Edited by starwarsjunky (24723 posts) -

every day i'm hustlin'

#618 Posted by starwarsjunky (24723 posts) -

pax...so close!!! =D

#619 Posted by TTUalumni13 (461 posts) -

Man this birthday week has been great for hobbies. I got a Nook that I've been pining after, and a gift card to match so I got a bunch of good books I've wanted. With birthday money and stuff is saved up I got a few new games and some bike gear I really wanted.

I shall be occupied for ages!

#620 Posted by roboccs (6911 posts) -

@ttualumni13: Happy birthday man! My favorite gifts these days are amazon gift cards over straight cash. When I get cash it just goes into the bank and I never buy anything I want with it, it goes into the "general fund". But with an amazon card I can buy games or whatever and I don't lose track of it.

#621 Posted by _HazBro_ (124 posts) -

Happy Birthday Wreck!

#622 Posted by JordanElek (17733 posts) -

Man this birthday week has been great for hobbies. I got a Nook that I've been pining after, and a gift card to match so I got a bunch of good books I've wanted. With birthday money and stuff is saved up I got a few new games and some bike gear I really wanted.

I shall be occupied for ages!

Happy birthday! What books did you get?

#623 Edited by Jaysonguy (37532 posts) -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Also books are awesome

#624 Posted by roboccs (6911 posts) -

Am I the only one who's not into reading?

#625 Edited by JordanElek (17733 posts) -

@roboccs said:

Am I the only one who's not into reading?

Books have better stories than RPGs.

Speaking of which, did you ever play Golden Sun? It's coming to the WiiU VC next month. That game is pretty awesome.

#626 Posted by TTUalumni13 (461 posts) -

Thanks guys!

@Jordan I got the sword of shannara trilogy + first king (prequel), The Hobbit, and Fevre Dream. So six books to start out. Some of them I had before but were ruined by floodwater when in storage, so I'm glad to be able to read them again. I have sooooo many more I want to get and new series I want to try, but I decided id limit myself starting out :P

Do you guys have any recommendations? I love fantasy an fiction, but really read everything.

@Rob probably! Haha I kid. I have always enjoyed reading, I get so immersed in good books.

#627 Posted by JordanElek (17733 posts) -

@ttualumni13: I mention it every chance I get, but The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson is ridiculously creative and unique, the best fantasy book I've read in years. It's by the guy who was chosen to finish The Wheel of Time when Robert Jordan died. And it's the first part of a long series that only just began (two books in), so it's not as daunting as picking up a series that you know will take years just to catch up.

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King is one of my favorites, too.

I'm not really a huge fan of generic epic fantasy (elves and trolls and orcs can stay in the Lord of the Rings as far as I'm concerned), but there's so much creative stuff out there that feels unique even within the borders of the genre.

#628 Posted by TTUalumni13 (461 posts) -

@JordanElek: I looked it up and the premise sounds interesting, thanks! Only seven bucks so I can easily take a dive on it. I have even hounded to try wheel of time but have no interest in a series that long haha..

#629 Posted by Enforcedspot (2915 posts) -

Hmm I have my eyes on mario golf: world tour. I'm interested that game.

#630 Posted by JordanElek (17733 posts) -

@JordanElek: I looked it up and the premise sounds interesting, thanks! Only seven bucks so I can easily take a dive on it. I have even hounded to try wheel of time but have no interest in a series that long haha..

I've made it to about halfway through the fourth book in The Wheel of Time after two tries.... It's tough, because the good parts are great but there's so much down time. Since I spend about six hours driving every day, I was hoping to make it through the series more easily, but I just had to quit before finishing the fourth book. That one just wasn't going anywhere, and I needed a break.

The Dark Tower is a long series but it's totally worth it. It's such a crazy take on the genre and really fun to read.

#631 Posted by TTUalumni13 (461 posts) -

@JordanElek: Yeah it's not just the length, but how poorly it is spread out. When people tell me "oh just skip about five books in the middle" I don't even want to start it lol.

I looked at Malazan book of the fallen series and that looks really good too.

#632 Posted by JordanElek (17733 posts) -

@JordanElek: Yeah it's not just the length, but how poorly it is spread out. When people tell me "oh just skip about five books in the middle" I don't even want to start it lol.

Yeah, it's really not worth it unless you want to experience a revered entry in the genre, which is why I'll probably eventually persist to the end. I'm able to listen for hours while I work, though, so it's not the drudgery for me as it would be for most people.

#634 Posted by TTUalumni13 (461 posts) -

Audio books are great, I don't drive enough to warrant them though, and in my experience they are usually pretty expensive, and my fun budget has to spread across three hobbies haha.

In gaming stuff, I got FFX/X2 HD, The Walking Dead complete pack, Sonic racing transformed, and three mknths of PS+, So I get Uncharted, Gravity rush, street fighter vs tekken, wipeout, mod nation, some others and some indie games free. I'm really excited to play the walking dead, I've heard nothing but good things

#635 Edited by JordanElek (17733 posts) -

Audio books are great, I don't drive enough to warrant them though, and in my experience they are usually pretty expensive, and my fun budget has to spread across three hobbies haha.

I subscribe to Audible. I think it's like $15/month for one credit per month. One credit will buy literally anything no matter the price, so I've gotten major discounts through it. The WoT books are like $45 each, so it's a great deal for me.

If you won't listen to at least a book a month, though, it's pretty pointless. I think the credits only stack to a certain number if they go unused.

#636 Posted by roboccs (6911 posts) -

@JordanElek: You serious about Golden Sun?!? That's the game I've been waiting to release on the VC! It looks amazing and I've heard some of the soundtrack and find it to be incredible.

Something to look forward to.

#637 Posted by moltenix (2483 posts) -

I decided to pick up one of them new GTX 750 Ti graphics cards last week. I don't have an actual gaming rig, just one of those prebuilt "entertainment PC's" so the low power requirement was a big plus. It's great being able to run stuff on High and even Ultra for some games. The old card wasn't built for intense gaming so the fans would always be running so loud; haven't heard a sound from this new one. Hopefully, it should last me a few years till I need a new computer.

Bring on the Steam sales! :D

#638 Posted by Enforcedspot (2915 posts) -

yay time for spring break.

#639 Posted by roboccs (6911 posts) -

@Enforcedspot: Lucky duck... Enjoy! Any big plans? Trips? Gaming binges?

By the way, started playing Mario Kart 7 on my 3DS. So far so good. Once I hone my skills a bit maybe we can have some online races if you guys aren't sick of the game completely.

#640 Posted by _HazBro_ (124 posts) -

Toronto Maple Leafs. lol. sigh.

There's no way we're getting into the playoffs now. At least I got to be on local news talking about them and how much they suck :D. Thank God for the Raptors, clinched a playoff spot for the first time since 2008 tonight. I'm excited for the post season but I don't think we'll get very far, but maybe, the Eastern conference sucks.

#641 Posted by roboccs (6911 posts) -

@_hazbro_: The Leafs are tied for the last Playoff off spots with Detroit, Columbus, and Washington. All 4 have 80pts and they are fighting for the last 2 spots. There's still hope but like the Wings, need to keep winning! The only issue is the other teams have played two less games so I guess that's what you mean by having no chance...

#642 Posted by JordanElek (17733 posts) -

Does that game use the L button for anything? I can't remember.... My L button barely works any more, maybe one press out of twenty will register, and I haven't even used that button since Kid Icarus.

I hope Nintendo announces a 3DS Lite before I'm forced to replace my system. I don't want an XL and I'd love to have an improved version of the original.

#643 Posted by JordanElek (17733 posts) -

Have any of you played The Last Remnant? It's cheap on Steam right now, and it looks interesting.... It's hard to judge by reviews because a lot of the complaints are technical ones, and the PC version has several improvements listed in the description that the reviewers didn't play the game with.

It would probably be a good holdover until Dark Souls 2 in TWENTY-SEVEN DAYS!

#644 Posted by _HazBro_ (124 posts) -

@roboccs: I heard they have to win 6 of the 8 games left, since they lost last night they'd need to win 6 in a row basically. I don't see that happening.

#645 Posted by roboccs (6911 posts) -

@JordanElek: I believe L button fired your weapon. Kind of important unless we shut off items. I haven't played online yet but I thought I read you can customize races however you want.

I never played last remnant.

#646 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4679 posts) -

@roboccs said:

By the way, started playing Mario Kart 7 on my 3DS. So far so good. Once I hone my skills a bit maybe we can have some online races if you guys aren't sick of the game completely.

I wouldn't mind another GS OT race sometime before MK8 is released. That community has been catching a lot of dust recently. :P

#647 Edited by ANIMEguy10034 (4679 posts) -

I just finished Shadow of the Colossus. What a beautiful game. I never completed it until now.

I'm currently considering getting Ico now.

#648 Posted by wiifan001 (18359 posts) -

Tomb Raider for $5?

yes please!!

#649 Posted by TTUalumni13 (461 posts) -

The Walking dead is amazing so far. Never really played anything like it. The choices are very good, and the limited time you have makes things really tense! Really glad I picked it up and would highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it yet and likes weighty decisions

#650 Posted by roboccs (6911 posts) -

@ANIMEguy10034: What is the code? To the community? I'm assuming no one has raced in it for years.