The Off Topic Lounge: Wara Wara OTiiverse Plaza Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#3001 Posted by TTUalumni13 (496 posts) -

I'm loving this break so far, I've gotten in so much gaming time already :D Worked a 66 hour week leading up to the break so now I almost cant decide what to do with all the time I have until Jan 2nd. Really hoping I get Windwaker HD, Super Mario 3D World, or Black Flag for Christmas so I can get a bunch of time in on them.

In non-gaming stuff, anyone else here shoot much? I finally got my shotguns from my mom (since I obviously couldn't have them in my student housing) bought a 9mm pistol and got a colt .45 from a friend of the family. Really excited to go shoot them all this week!

#3002 Posted by Jaysonguy (37678 posts) -

@moltenix said:

I'm on sequence 9 right now

I just had to play 3 so I could do more in the game

This would be the perfect game if it wasn't Ass ass in creed and was more "Sid Meier's Pirates"

I'm like 14 hours in at the third chapter, I'm hoping all the waterways are unlocked now

Do you have the Wii U version? Does it have the leaderboards too?

#3003 Posted by roboccs (7067 posts) -

@ttualumni13: XD... Stereotypes!

#3004 Posted by moltenix (2487 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: I do have the U version. I haven't really looked into it but I do notice the Leaderboard notification pop up occasionally.

#3005 Posted by Jaysonguy (37678 posts) -

@moltenix said:

I'm on sequence 9 right now

I just had to play 3 so I could do more in the game

This would be the perfect game if it wasn't Ass ass in creed and was more "Sid Meier's Pirates"

I'm like 14 hours in at the third chapter, I'm hoping all the waterways are unlocked now

Do you have the Wii U version? Does it have the leaderboards too?

#3006 Edited by TTUalumni13 (496 posts) -

@Roboccs Haha the Texan gun stereotype? I think Texas averages about 2.3 guns per person, so I'm well over the average haha.. Actually have five if you include my .12 guage that my uncle has been using the last few years since I couldn't have it at the time anyways. Break into my house I dare you! :P

@Jay I just got done playing Sid Meier's Pirates again! Such an awesome game :)

#3007 Edited by Jaysonguy (37678 posts) -

@ttualumni13 said:

@Jay I just got done playing Sid Meier's Pirates again! Such an awesome game :)

I love that game so much, I don't know what it is but that game just hooks me whenever I play

#3008 Edited by TTUalumni13 (496 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: I feel the exact same way. I got hooked on it all over again, between last night and today I've played six hours already haha :O

#3009 Edited by roboccs (7067 posts) -

@ttualumni13: that's just glorious! Big truck, 5 guns... Own any cattle? :P

#3010 Posted by JordanElek (17872 posts) -

@moltenix said:

How is it that i'm still not even close to finishing AC4?! I'm on sequence 9 right now so i'm guessing i'm almost done the main story (based on previous AC's).

I didn't realize you were Canadian.

ACIV is ridiculously long. It's awesome and I still love it, but I'm ready to move on to another game at this point. I still haven't decided yet if I'm going to break it into two play periods or power through to the end before starting anything else.

#3011 Posted by roboccs (7067 posts) -

Bleeping Lions...Why must I suffer...

#3012 Edited by Jaysonguy (37678 posts) -

@roboccs said:

Bleeping Lions...Why must I suffer...

No &^#, no *&^!

Seriously, all they had to do was beat one of the worst teams in the NFL and instead they screw up so badly that the North is still up for grabs!

#3013 Posted by roboccs (7067 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: Don't remind me. If we could have won, and GB and Chicago lost, we woulda been back in. GB lost and Chicago's getting smoked... So angry. It's been 50 years of this $&@#%.... At least I've only been around for part of it...

#3014 Posted by MethodManFTW (25782 posts) -

@ttualumni13 said:

I'm loving this break so far, I've gotten in so much gaming time already :D Worked a 66 hour week leading up to the break so now I almost cant decide what to do with all the time I have until Jan 2nd. Really hoping I get Windwaker HD, Super Mario 3D World, or Black Flag for Christmas so I can get a bunch of time in on them.

In non-gaming stuff, anyone else here shoot much? I finally got my shotguns from my mom (since I obviously couldn't have them in my student housing) bought a 9mm pistol and got a colt .45 from a friend of the family. Really excited to go shoot them all this week!

i don't shoot very much but i work at a quasi gun store.. colts are really nice! my buddy has a 22 colt that i like to shoot.

#3015 Edited by TTUalumni13 (496 posts) -

@MethodManFTW: Nice, .22s are fun to shoot, and the ammo is nice and cheap so you can go out all day haha.

@roboccs: Used to have about 20 on my families ranch. Ranch will soon be sold though thankfully, lots of extra money in our pockets. I have a small truck that is about to be sold too, so I'm selling off stereotypes haha, my Sonic has better MPG for my morning drive :P

#3016 Edited by wiifan001 (18420 posts) -

*buys Battlefield 2*

There's no campaign! fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

#3017 Posted by TTUalumni13 (496 posts) -

Playing luigis mansion (GC) for the first time today, just beat the first boss and love it so far! Wish I had played it before two generations had passed!

#3018 Edited by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -
@ttualumni13 said:

Playing luigis mansion (GC) for the first time today, just beat the first boss and love it so far! Wish I had played it before two generations had passed!

It is a great but short game.

Have you played Dark Moon? It is one of the finest 3DS games out there.

#3019 Edited by moltenix (2487 posts) -

@JordanElek said:

@moltenix said:

How is it that i'm still not even close to finishing AC4?! I'm on sequence 9 right now so i'm guessing i'm almost done the main story (based on previous AC's).

I didn't realize you were Canadian.

ACIV is ridiculously long. It's awesome and I still love it, but I'm ready to move on to another game at this point. I still haven't decided yet if I'm going to break it into two play periods or power through to the end before starting anything else.

I'm loving the game but I kinda feel like playing something else now.

The game (and the Wii U) wound up crashing on me last night. I was just about to pull off a running assassination when there was this long (and kinda loud) beep sound and it froze. I was going to play for maybe another half hour until that happened; it totally killed the mood so I didn't bother turning the Wii U back on and went to sleep.

Damn, I hope the Wii U is okay! I think i'm gonna power through the last of the story plus as much side activities as possible tonight. Would very much like to move onto SM3DW! :D

#3020 Edited by JordanElek (17872 posts) -

@moltenix said:

I'm loving the game but I kinda feel like playing something else now.

The game (and the Wii U) wound up crashing on me last night. I was just about to pull off a running assassination when there was this long (and kinda loud) beep sound and it froze.

That happened all the time with ACIII. They fixed it after a few weeks with some patches, though.... I would hope the sequel wouldn't have the same problem. They probably just figured out a way to break it in a different way this time.

#3021 Posted by TTUalumni13 (496 posts) -

@Pierst179: I havent. I may have to borrow a friends 3DS and rent it or something if Luigis Mansion keeps up, Oddly enough I think my favorite part is how Luigi's teeth chatter and he whistles different songs nervously as I explore around, game just has a lot of great character and little sounds to it :)

#3022 Edited by JordanElek (17872 posts) -

I missed the one-year mark for making a new lounge. I think it was always the 21st because that's the first day of winter and I'm dumb like that, but like roboccs said, it's hard to know now. Maybe I'll shoot for January 1st. That makes more sense, and it'll give me a chance to break away from the Christmas Tree motif I've had going for the past several years.

@Pierst179: I think you're the only moderator I know these days... so you'll probably be my contact for locking this thread and all the whatnots that go into that process, if that's all right. I'll PM you when it's ready.

This will be my first post with any real formatting since the site redesign.... I hope it's not a pain.

#3023 Posted by roboccs (7067 posts) -

I didn't realize that Haz was no longer a moderator.

I was thinking there would be a new lounge when I checked in tonight but I like Jordan's idea of doing it on the new year... although I always related the lounge change with early Christmas vacation and to the holidays itself... now I will be relating it to the best time of the year winding down and getting ready to go back to work the next day :(

#3024 Posted by roboccs (7067 posts) -

Oh by the way, I played PS4 at my brother's house last night. We played Madden. It was awesome. Wasn't that impressed with the graphics but the fluidity of the animations and how the players reacted was actually really impressive to me. Haven't played the game in a few years is the improvement was noticeable!

#3025 Posted by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -
@ttualumni13 said:

@Pierst179: I havent. I may have to borrow a friends 3DS and rent it or something if Luigis Mansion keeps up, Oddly enough I think my favorite part is how Luigi's teeth chatter and he whistles different songs nervously as I explore around, game just has a lot of great character and little sounds to it :)

The game has a lot of personality, and Dark Moon manages to do it even better.

Luigi is just hilarious.

#3026 Posted by roboccs (7067 posts) -

Merry Christmas loungers! Enjoy your Christmas Eve and Day festivities.

I also found out that my Tales of Xillia is coming on the 26th now... That's a day early... Nothing like Christmas vacation and video games!

#3027 Edited by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

@roboccs: Yup. I stepped down (that's kind of a weird way to put it I guess). I don't come here nearly as often and I've been pretty busy with work. I try to check in every now and then in this thread, but otherwise, I'm not really active. I just like you guys so I pop by.

PS - Merry Christmas!! I'm going to try to beat A Link Between Worlds on my two days off, I have three dungeons left in Lorule, and the dungeons go by pretty quickly. I like it so far, besides the lack of challenge in dungeons.

#3028 Posted by moltenix (2487 posts) -

Merry Christmas everyone!!

I can't wait to start 3D World tomorrow. I might just get to try out some multiplayer Nintendo Land and Wii Party U too. =D

#3029 Posted by TTUalumni13 (496 posts) -

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you! I'll be traveling the 25th so won't be home to wish it otherwise, hope y'all have a great day. We opened presents tonight since we're traveling tomorrow, GREAT day today and awesome presents. We gave and got way more gifts than we realized, its easy to go a little crazy this time of year and pick up stuff you think people will like haha. Crown jewel of the presents we got is gun number six! Rock Island Armory M1911 .45 and a bunch of rounds for it :D Awesome, awesome, awesome. Now if theres ever a zombie apocalypse I can dual wield 45's!

#3030 Edited by JordanElek (17872 posts) -

One of my cousins got an Xbone for Christmas. He set it up at our grandparents house then left for work, so I got to mess around with it a bit.

I didn't think I'd like it but went in with an open mind, assuming that most of the negative things I'd read and heard were hyperbole.

My uncle had been playing Forza before I picked up the controller. The game was highlighted on the home screen in the big picture box, so I chose that and it launched immediately from the suspend state. That was cool.

Then everything within the game took forever to load. The graphics looked indistinguishable from a current gen game. I want to say that the rumbly triggers are cool, but that gives them a little too much credit. They didn't seem to add anything more than regular rumble does.

I'm bad at racing games so after a few minutes, I navigated to his list of games and chose Dead Rising 3. It started to load then asked for the disc. Intellectually, I knew that this was how the console worked, but it was still jarring to select a game from a game library and still have to get up, find the disc (find the eject button), and put it in. It's a dumb thing but it didn't feel like the future.

Since the graphics in Dead Rising 3 looked like current gen but with hundreds of zombies, I thought the framerate might be steady and locked at.. anything, but it was all over the place. Other than that, it seemed okay. I'm sure the game is fun but it doesn't need fancy hardware to be fun. It didn't feel like the future, either.

When I was done, I said "Xbox turn off" and it asked me if I wanted to turn it off and I said yes and it turned off. That was the future.

#3031 Edited by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

@JordanElek: #NextGen

I beat A Link Between Worlds last night. It's really awesome and I think everyone should play it if they have a 3DS, but it's not my favourite game of the year. It's really easy, and that's unfortunate because I really loved being able to pick and choose whichever dungeon I wanted to tackle - and the buying/renting system wasn't really as bad as I thought it'd be. My death count was 1 ... and that wasn't fair because the game glitched on me. I kept respawning in a death zone during a boss fight.

I think I still had more fun with Fire Emblem: Awakening, the most out of anything all year. I haven't played Super Mario 3D World yet though, my Wii U is packed up since I've been moving back and forth between places.

I picked up Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate for the 3DS yesterday on sale for $14.99. I thought the game tanked in reviews but it seems some places like Nintendo World Report liked it so I gave it a shot. So far what I've played of it ... it's really dark, to the point where I actually have to put the brightness up more than I usually would. The game could've used some more polish, the animations are kind of crap and 60FPS would've been nice. Having not really played much of the old Castlevania games I don't really have much to compare it to, but it looks noticeably different from those games.

#3032 Edited by roboccs (7067 posts) -

@JordanElek: Yeah, I figure it'll be awhile before any next gen games are really a huge jump. I felt the same way with my brothers PS4. It was cool, the graphics weren't mind blowing but it was very smooth.

I'll be playing last gen stuff for awhile still. I'm having a good time with ARF on Wii and I got Tales of Xillia a few days ago. Tales of Zestiria was also announced for PS3 later next year so my PS3 is still relevant.

#3033 Posted by moltenix (2487 posts) -

Just wanted to stop by to say Super Mario 3D World is awesome!

Now if you'll excuse me, I must play more! :O

#3034 Posted by wiifan001 (18420 posts) -

Assassins Creed 2 is $5

After playing the extremely repetitive first one, AC2 will determine if I shall continue for more or stop playing this franchise

#3035 Posted by TTUalumni13 (496 posts) -

@wiifan001: After the first, I skipped everything up to Black Flag, only one with an interesting world/setting to me.

I'll let you know some general impressions once I dive into it, I feel the same about the repetitiveness of the first.

#3036 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

@wiifan001 said:

Assassins Creed 2 is $5

After playing the extremely repetitive first one, AC2 will determine if I shall continue for more or stop playing this franchise

AC2 and AC Brotherhood are amazing, especially compared to the first. I think you'll like it.

#3037 Edited by roboccs (7067 posts) -

One of our relatives gave us a jar of homemade spicy pickles... Yum right?

So I just ate one this morning and it was glorious... Until I took a sip of coffee shortly after... Didn't think that one out too well...

#3038 Edited by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -

I beat Black Flag a couple of days ago, and today I finished everything I felt like doing.

There are still some treasure chests and secrets out in the ocean to be acquired, but going after them bores me to death. And the four legendary ships are still undefeated, but to beat them I would probably have to fully upgrade my ship and then tackle some pretty tough naval battles, and I don't feel like doing that either. For now at least.

I got to 91% and thoroughly enjoyed the game. It is certainly a major recovery after ACIII, and it is up there with ACII. I am looking forward to Ubi's possible pirate franchise.

I will write a review for ACIV on the next couple of days.

#3039 Posted by Jaysonguy (37678 posts) -

@Pierst179 said:

I beat Black Flag a couple of days ago, and today I finished everything I felt like doing.

There are still some treasure chests and secrets out in the ocean to be acquired, but going after them bores me to death. And the four legendary ships are still undefeated, but to beat them I would probably have to fully upgrade my ship and then tackle some pretty tough naval battles, and I don't feel like doing that either. For now at least.

I got to 91% and thoroughly enjoyed the game. It is certainly a major recovery after ACIII, and it is up there with ACII. I am looking forward to Ubi's possible pirate franchise.

I will write a review for ACIV on the next couple of days.

What the bananas?

Didn't you just get that game?

I'm at 25% done, I just keep on doing my fleet with trading and then I go plunder ships looking for metal and lumber

#3040 Posted by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -
@Jaysonguy said:

What the bananas?

Didn't you just get that game?

I'm at 25% done, I just keep on doing my fleet with trading and then I go plunder ships looking for metal and lumber

Well, I didn't work on the 24th and 25th, and I had the weekend of the 21st and 22nd to play. So I was able to put quite a few hours into the game on those four days.

#3041 Edited by TTUalumni13 (496 posts) -

I really wish developers would stop adding AI companion based stretches in games where you are solo 99% of the time. I'm to the Earth and Wind temples in WindWaker, and the two sages just grind the pace down sooo much, especially with all the "HA!" hands that come up and pull them to a place you have to run all the way back to.

Love the game except for these parts -_-

#3042 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

I missed out on the chance to get ACIV for cheap, but now that I'll finally be able to get my Wii U set up I have a lot of games to play through - I'm excited to finally play 3D world and I got WWHD for Christmas/Birthday from a friend, and I still have Pikmin 3 unfinished. Playing through DKCR 3D again because I want to beat it before Tropical Freeze is out in Feb.

#3043 Posted by moltenix (2487 posts) -

What is everyone's gaming plans for the next few months?

I've finished with all of the 3DS games that i've wanted to play; outside of Pkmn Y, my 3DS is gonna get some time off until Bravely Default. For Wii U, i'm hoping to wrap up 3D World this week and move onto Wind Waker until DK comes out. With last gen, I just got a year of PS+ so i'll be enjoying the free games from the Instant Game Collection. I also wouldn't mind finishing SMG2 and starting Xenoblade.

I have BD and DK preordered but I could probably get away without buying anything else for quite a while between PS+ and backlogs.

#3044 Posted by TTUalumni13 (496 posts) -

@moltenix: Thats a good idea setting one console down for another for a stretch to keep everything fresh! You HAVE to start Xenoblade, seriously, I will hound you like I hounded rob :D

I'm wrapping up Windwaker, I beat the final boss (epic), also love the villains reasoning is something other than "Muahaha because evil!" but I want to go back at my final save and see if I can find all the rest of the heartpieces so I can 100%. After that I'll be playing Black Flag and Ghosts - Extinction until Donkey Kong comes out! :D

#3045 Edited by moltenix (2487 posts) -

@ttualumni13: It's not like I planned for things to happen this way. I'm surprised I managed to finish every single 3DS game I got this year. Going into 2013, my backlog was quite big so the fact that it's dwindled down to just a handful of games is great.

#3046 Posted by roboccs (7067 posts) -

@moltenix: Xenoblade.... Do it.

I played it a bit a few hours ago... After 96 hours of playing the game it's still not old.

#3047 Edited by Jaysonguy (37678 posts) -

roboc, about time they fired their coach.

I would put Stafford up for a trade if he wont talk to someone to fix his mechanics. It doesn't matter if he has one of the best arms in the league if he doesn't know where it's coming from. A constant release point builds consistency in your pass catchers.

Him refusing to seek help puts up big red flags

#3048 Posted by starwarsjunky (24735 posts) -

that was just heartbreaking yesterday. after so many outcomes taking place the last few weeks, there was actually a really good chance that steelers would get in. 0-4 start is just too deep of a hole to expect to crawl out of.

#3049 Edited by starwarsjunky (24735 posts) -

@starwarsjunky said:

that was just heartbreaking yesterday. after so many outcomes taking place the last few weeks, there was actually a really good chance that steelers would get in. 0-4 start is just too deep of a hole to expect to crawl out of.

and no, i'm not gonna say anything was wrong about the "non-penalty" at the end. they missed the kick. pure and simple. why get a do-over because of a technicality?

#3050 Posted by roboccs (7067 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: I was pumped to hear they fired The Schwartz. Also, I agree on Stafford. Broadcasters praise that side arm crap he pulls but it always pisses me off.

They need a coach who will help discipline the team and who can fix a QB. Not giving up on Stafford yet, he's too talented and showed in 2011 that he can do it. Just needs some work and someone who will hold him accountable when he's careless with the ball.

And that Packers/Bears game was amazing... I love watching the Bears choke. I know my team choked but at least the team I hate most choked too! :P