The Off Topic Lounge: Wara Wara OTiiverse Plaza Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1951 Posted by roboccs (7156 posts) -
But what is the object of the game? Do you just loot? Advance a story? Solve puzzles? I'm very intrigued and really want to know what all the hype is about.
#1952 Posted by roboccs (7156 posts) -
And yes, Xenoblade is too long. I hope X for WiiU is 40 hrs with optional side quests .
#1953 Posted by JordanElek (17943 posts) -

But what is the object of the game? Do you just loot? Advance a story? Solve puzzles? I'm very intrigued and really want to know what all the hype is about.roboccs
Ooooohhh, get ready. :)

At the beginning, you're told about two bells that need to be rung to open a gate. So the first leg of the game is finding and ringing the first bell. The second leg is finding the second bell. The third leg is obtaining an item for a dragon then killing four (I think) bosses. And the last leg is the final area of the game, making it to the final boss. And I have to point out that about halfway through, just when you might be getting tired of the dreary, dead aura of the environments, everything changes, including enemy types, and breathes new life into the game.

There's barely any looting and only a few puzzles.

The game's structure is basically the evolution of Metroid. In Metroid, you can't get to the next area because you don't have the missiles; in Dark Souls, you can't get to the next area because the enemies are too powerful. A HUGE portion of the world is open to you from the start, but you're nudged in the right direction by finding the path of least resistance. Once you make it through an area, you'll be powerful enough to make it through the next area, then go back to the area that destroyed you before and make it through easily.

There isn't much in terms of equipment. You'll go for really long stretches without changing armor or weapons. Instead of leveling up like in other games, you just accumulate souls from killing enemies (and usable items), and those souls can be spent on individual attributes (like strength, agility, health, all that stuff), equipment, and items. Your character's attributes are more important than your equipment (the entire game can be finished with no armor), so you don't have to worry about finding that new sword or something just to progress.

The key to it all, though, is that every time you die, your souls are left at the spot of your death. You restart at the last bonfire (save point) with all of the enemies respawned in exactly the same spot every time, then you can either go somewhere else or fight your way back to your souls and grab them. Naturally, if you succeed, you'll have twice the number of souls if you killed the same enemies as before. If you die before you retrieve your souls, then those dropped souls are gone forever, but the souls you accumulated up to that point will drop, so not everything is lost. Also, every time you rest at a bonfire to save your game or level up or whatever, every enemy that you killed since the last bonfire will respawn (except for a few of the bigger enemies and bosses). So you can't just kill one enemy, then run back and save, then kill another. You just have to go for it.

The satisfaction you get from seeing yourself getting stronger and better at the game is what's so appealing about it. You start out as a weakling, in terms of both your character and your own skill, and you gradually build to be a beast. And it feels like you're the one responsible for it all, not some leveling system or arbitrary skill acquirement. Everything happens so gradually.... It's exactly like losing weight or building muscle or something; it happens in such small increments that you don't even notice it. But then you look at what you were before the whole process and you can see the obvious change.

#1954 Posted by wiifan001 (18436 posts) -

Play Dark Souls. ;)

So what is everyone playing right now? I've been playing games on my PC almost exclusively since I got it, aside from the occasional Luigi U session.

JordanElek

I'm playing Splinter Cell Double Agent, Left 4 Dead 2, and Professor Layton and the Diabolical box.

Next week, I'll start F.E.A.R 3 and Bioshock 2...not sure where I'll go from there, but I have to choose something from my 20+ Steam backlog :P 

#1955 Posted by JordanElek (17943 posts) -

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

Play Dark Souls. ;)

So what is everyone playing right now? I've been playing games on my PC almost exclusively since I got it, aside from the occasional Luigi U session.

wiifan001

I'm playing Splinter Cell Double Agent, Left 4 Dead 2, and Professor Layton and the Diabolical box.

Next week, I'll start F.E.A.R 3 and Bioshock 2...not sure where I'll go from there, but I have to choose something from my 20+ Steam backlog :P 

Yeah, I went from one game to play to twelve games to play because of the Steam sale. I had to immediately employ the snowball rule, so Mark of the Ninja is first. After that, it'll be either Dishonored or Rage, whichever I feel like playing. I booted up Rage for a second the other day, though, and holy crap.... I might play that next because of the visuals alone. And my brother says it might be the best feeling shooter EVER, so there's that too.

The rest of my library is Braid, Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 3, Far Cry 3, Saints Row 3, System Shock 2, and Witcher 2. I also have Borderlands 2 and Dead Island, but I'll be playing through those with my brothers. We just finished Far Cry 3's co-op, which wasn't that great, and Dead Island is next since we just finished the first Borderlands a couple weeks ago.

#1956 Posted by roboccs (7156 posts) -
@jordan's Dark Souls blog: ;) You make it sound pretty good. Maybe it'll be one to look at for Christmas. Hopefully I'm pretty determined right now to complete the ME Trilogy and hopefully some other games. It'll probably by 20 bucks or so by then (hopefully). I like coming here to this lounge to get game opinions. They usually lead me to some great games that I was initially on the fence about.
#1957 Posted by JordanElek (17943 posts) -

@jordan's Dark Souls blog: ;) You make it sound pretty good. Maybe it'll be one to look at for Christmas. Hopefully I'm pretty determined right now to complete the ME Trilogy and hopefully some other games. It'll probably by 20 bucks or so by then (hopefully). I like coming here to this lounge to get game opinions. They usually lead me to some great games that I was initially on the fence about.roboccs

Yeah, I played it when I had pretty much nothing else to play, so finishing up what you've already started is a good idea. I was REALLY hesitant about it, but I think I got it for $20 so it wasn't much of a risk. When I finished it, though, I felt a little bit empty for a week or two. I had only played for maybe an hour a day several days a week, but it had become a special time for me.

#1958 Posted by C-Lee (5838 posts) -

[QUOTE="C-Lee"]whatup famJaysonguy

Good to see you!

Geez it's been a while, what's going on?

I know breh, it's been a longgg time since I've been on the site. just checking in ya know, and things have been well.
#1959 Posted by meetroid8 (21140 posts) -
I played Dark Souls for fifteen minutes, was killed by a random dragon on a balcony that came out of nowhere, and never played it again.
#1960 Posted by JordanElek (17943 posts) -

I played Dark Souls for fifteen minutes, was killed by a random dragon on a balcony that came out of nowhere, and never played it again. meetroid8
I played Dark Souls for 15 minutes, got killed ten times by skeletons, then went the other way and finished it in 60 hours.

Your fate could have been so much different!

The reputation the game gets for being unfair is... unfair. There are almost no instakills. I think it happened to me once, when a boulder rolled through a hallway and I didn't see it in time.

And I don't think that dragon actually killed me. If I remember right, I responded really fast and dodged backwards out of the way. Then all the souls from the enemies that were standing on the bridge got sucked into me and I laughed at their demise.

I never even tried to kill that dragon, even when I was superpowerful. It was lording over the end of that bridge for the entire game. I still don't know what's past it....

#1961 Posted by MethodManFTW (25846 posts) -

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]I played Dark Souls for fifteen minutes, was killed by a random dragon on a balcony that came out of nowhere, and never played it again. JordanElek

I played Dark Souls for 15 minutes, got killed ten times by skeletons, then went the other way and finished it in 60 hours.

The reputation the game gets for being unfair is... unfair. There are almost no instakills. I think it happened to me once, when a boulder rolled through a hallway and I didn't see it in time.

And I don't think that dragon actually killed me. If I remember right, I responded really fast and dodged backwards out of the way. Then all the souls from the enemies that were standing on the bridge got sucked into me and I laughed at their demise.

I never even tried to kill that dragon, even when I was superpowerful. It was lording over the end of that bridge for the entire game. I still don't know what's past it....

No instakills?!?!?! Anor Londo my friend.
#1962 Posted by MethodManFTW (25846 posts) -
The Sun Bro home is behind that dragon! You have to have been there.. Sun Bros 4 lyfe.
#1963 Posted by JordanElek (17943 posts) -
[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]I played Dark Souls for fifteen minutes, was killed by a random dragon on a balcony that came out of nowhere, and never played it again. MethodManFTW

I'm not talking about something that can kill you with one hit. I mean something that comes out of nowhere with no warning. Unless I'm forgetting something obvious, I can't think of any.
#1964 Posted by MethodManFTW (25846 posts) -
[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="JordanElek"] I played Dark Souls for 15 minutes, got killed ten times by skeletons, then went the other way and finished it in 60 hours.

JordanElek

I'm not talking about something that can kill you with one hit. I mean something that comes out of nowhere with no warning. Unless I'm forgetting something obvious, I can't think of any.

The Anor Londo archer.  That guy is a real son of a bitch.
#1965 Posted by JordanElek (17943 posts) -

That guy is a real son of a bitch.MethodManFTW
lol, yes he is. Not an instakill, though. That was probably the hardest section of the game for me to figure out how to get past, but once I found a strategy that worked well enough, it wasn't too hard. And I think you only have to do it once, if I remember right.

#1966 Posted by MethodManFTW (25846 posts) -

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]That guy is a real son of a bitch.JordanElek

lol, yes he is. Not an instakill, though. That was probably the hardest section of the game for me to figure out how to get past, but once I found a strategy that worked well enough, it wasn't too hard. And I think you only have to do it once, if I remember right.

Ehhh, I would say that is semantics. Every time he killed me it was a one shot. But yeah, I would say that is easily the hardest part in the game. Did you play the DLC? That is pretty fun. The armour you get looks awesome too, it's a shame it isn't any good though.
#1967 Posted by JordanElek (17943 posts) -

Ehhh, I would say that is semantics. Every time he killed me it was a one shot.MethodManFTW
I bought a shield specifically for that part so that I wouldn't take arrow damage. The hard part was getting up that ledge without one of the other two archers knocking me off or directing my shield away from the one at the top. Once I killed the weaker two, I just walked right up to that archer with my shield up then killed him somehow, either by knocking him off or taking his health down.
Did you play the DLC? That is pretty fun. The armour you get looks awesome too, it's a shame it isn't any good though.MethodManFTW
No. I knew I should've just gotten the Prepare to Die Edition (or whatever) when it was on sale on Steam for like $8. But I didn't know if the DLC would use my character or not, so I didn't want to buy the PC version just for DLC that I might not be able to play unless I played the whole game again.

#1968 Posted by MethodManFTW (25846 posts) -

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]Ehhh, I would say that is semantics. Every time he killed me it was a one shot.JordanElek

I bought a shield specifically for that part so that I wouldn't take arrow damage. The hard part was getting up that ledge without one of the other two archers knocking me off or directing my shield away from the one at the top. Once I killed the weaker two, I just walked right up to that archer with my shield up then killed him somehow, either by knocking him off or taking his health down.
Did you play the DLC? That is pretty fun. The armour you get looks awesome too, it's a shame it isn't any good though.MethodManFTW
No. I knew I should've just gotten the Prepare to Die Edition (or whatever) when it was on sale on Steam for like $8. But I didn't know if the DLC would use my character or not, so I didn't want to buy the PC version just for DLC that I might not be able to play unless I played the whole game again.

Yeah, it wasn't the damage that hurt me, it was the knock back off the cliff. I have fallen off maaaaaaaany cliffs in my time with Dark Souls though.. Blighttown primiarly. But yeah, Dark Souls for PC is totally worth rebuying. You will have to replay it up to a point to have access to the DLC. It's soooo good though, Artorias is in it (an important character in the dark souls fiction if you are into that at all) and it has the best dragon in the game. Mods for Dark Souls are (mandatory and) awesome.. My favorite is instead of no music at the title screen, it now plays the Dragons Dogma theme. :D
#1969 Posted by JordanElek (17943 posts) -

Yeah, it wasn't the damage that hurt me, it was the knock back off the cliff. I have fallen off maaaaaaaany cliffs in my time with Dark Souls though.. Blighttown primiarly. But yeah, Dark Souls for PC is totally worth rebuying. You will have to replay it up to a point to have access to the DLC. It's soooo good though, Artorias is in it (an important character in the dark souls fiction if you are into that at all) and it has the best dragon in the game. Mods for Dark Souls are (mandatory and) awesome.. My favorite is instead of no music at the title screen, it now plays the Dragons Dogma theme. :DMethodManFTW
At this point I'm just going to wait for Dark Souls 2.... unless I get a crazy itch before March. Maybe if it goes on sale again I'll get it.

#1970 Posted by MethodManFTW (25846 posts) -
Ah, Dark Souls 2.... Can't wait!
#1971 Posted by TxTech1923 (607 posts) -
So yesterday my wife and I went to donate plasma because they were having a special where if you and a friend donate together, they give you $100. Sweet, easy money! Well, my wife can't donate because she was in Turkey during her dads military tour during a time some crap was going on around there so she can never donate plasma or blood, but they offered me fifty if I still wanted to do it, and I was like sure!! Well, it was going a little slow so they injected some heparin into the line, and it turns out I've developed an allery to herparin -_- Yesterday was flat out miserable. I feel like I got hit by a truck this morning. BUT I GOT MY FIFTY DOLLARS DAMNIT
#1972 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

So yesterday my wife and I went to donate plasma because they were having a special where if you and a friend donate together, they give you $100. Sweet, easy money! Well, my wife can't donate because she was in Turkey during her dads military tour during a time some crap was going on around there so she can never donate plasma or blood, but they offered me fifty if I still wanted to do it, and I was like sure!! Well, it was going a little slow so they injected some heparin into the line, and it turns out I've developed an allery to herparin -_- Yesterday was flat out miserable. I feel like I got hit by a truck this morning. BUT I GOT MY FIFTY DOLLARS DAMNITTxTech1923

Hope you feel better! An extra $50 is always welcomed.

I got my G2 license the other day. I don't know how it works in the US, but in Ontario, Canada, there's 3 steps to getting your full license.

G1 > G2 > G. 

G1 is your learners, you have to drive with someone who has had a G license for over 5 years. I got that license back in August 2008 and I could've done my test to get my G2 a year afterwards or 8 months if I did driving school, but I never did driving school and my mom taught me how to drive. I was driving for years with her, so I was used to it, but what pushed me was the expiration date on my license ... lol. They give you 5 years to get your full license but I was being so lazy about it I didn't realize it was about to expire. So I did the test and now I can drive on my own - which feels great. 

This license has two restrictions though, if you're under 19 and have a G2 you can't drive between 12AM-5AM and you can't have any alochol in your system. If you're over 19, you can drive between 12AM-5AM but still can't have any alcohol in your system. The test for the full license also requires me to go on the highway, which I've never been (you can't with a G1 license). 

So I'm looking to get that full license in a years time. Then no more tests, just renewing! Yay!! 

--

Gaming related stuff, I finally finished Fire Emblem: Awakening. That game is so awesome. Based on everything I've played this year, it's my favourite by far. Right now it's also my favourite 3DS game period. So good. I hope the Wii U gets a great Fire Emblem game too or that SMT x Fire Emblem turns out to be just as amazing.

Now I have to finish Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and go back to Dark Souls too.

#1973 Posted by TxTech1923 (607 posts) -
Thanks Haz, I've been ordered to take it easy for a few days, so I have fifty dollars AND I get an excuse to sit around playing video games all day! :P Y'alls license system is waaay different than ours o.O Sounds like way too much hassle haha.. Got my learners permit at 15, have to have someone in the vehicle who's at least 18 during the learners phase, then at 16 you test for the full license, restrictions lifted. Of course, in Texas we have a lot of space inbetween places we need to go, so people drive early and often :P
#1974 Posted by JordanElek (17943 posts) -

Thanks Haz, I've been ordered to take it easy for a few days, so I have fifty dollars AND I get an excuse to sit around playing video games all day! :P Y'alls license system is waaay different than ours o.O Sounds like way too much hassle haha.. Got my learners permit at 15, have to have someone in the vehicle who's at least 18 during the learners phase, then at 16 you test for the full license, restrictions lifted. Of course, in Texas we have a lot of space inbetween places we need to go, so people drive early and often :PTxTech1923
That's how it is in Indiana, too, at least when I was that age. I think there's more to it now. Every state has different rules. I'm just glad I didn't have to keep a log of how many hours I drove with my permit like they do in some states.

I still remember the first time my mom let me drive our minivan in our neighborhood. Nothing special happened. But the first time I was allowed to drive anything was a golf cart when I was maybe 8 or 9. Apparently I didn't know that you had to turn the wheel back to neutral after turning to make it go straight again, so I just kept going in circles and almost drove it into a creek. I was stupid.

#1975 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

Thanks Haz, I've been ordered to take it easy for a few days, so I have fifty dollars AND I get an excuse to sit around playing video games all day! :P Y'alls license system is waaay different than ours o.O Sounds like way too much hassle haha.. Got my learners permit at 15, have to have someone in the vehicle who's at least 18 during the learners phase, then at 16 you test for the full license, restrictions lifted. Of course, in Texas we have a lot of space inbetween places we need to go, so people drive early and often :PTxTech1923

lol. Yeah, it takes a while to obtain your fully license here.

I'm just glad I can drive on my own finally, I delayed it way too long. I could've been fully licensed by 17 or 18, I'm 22 and just got my second license. I wish I could slap my 16 year old self. I guess I could just do it now too though.

#1976 Posted by roboccs (7156 posts) -
Good work Haz, better late than never. Hey Wreck, how you feeling? What game you gonna buy with your 50 bucks?
#1977 Posted by TxTech1923 (607 posts) -
[QUOTE="roboccs"]Good work Haz, better late than never. Hey Wreck, how you feeling? What game you gonna buy with your 50 bucks?

Much better now, thanks! Used ten of it to get Earthbound on the Wii U VC, which puts me over for another eShop credit on the deluxe promotion so I can get Super Mario World for free :) The rest is going into savings, we're working on the emergency fund portion of the Dave Ramsey steps and are only about $30 short of having the 1k set aside, so the sooner we get that done the sooner we can get our credit cards paid off :D
#1978 Posted by JordanElek (17943 posts) -

Did any of you guys watch the new season of Arrested Development? I just finished it. It had its great moments, but it didn't wrap up very well. I still really liked it, though. Since I couldn't watch it all within my free trial month of Netflix, I have another month to rewatch if I get around to it. It seems like the type of thing that would be way funny the second time around, even more so than the original seasons.

#1979 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -

Did any of you guys watch the new season of Arrested Development? I just finished it. It had its great moments, but it didn't wrap up very well. I still really liked it, though. Since I couldn't watch it all within my free trial month of Netflix, I have another month to rewatch if I get around to it. It seems like the type of thing that would be way funny the second time around, even more so than the original seasons.

JordanElek
I'm still on season 1 LOL
#1980 Posted by roboccs (7156 posts) -
Why I find this so funny is beyond me :lol: http://youtu.be/JE2NuKLJ5PE Greatest pause theme ever!
#1981 Posted by wiifan001 (18436 posts) -

I have been really freekin paranoid with Splinter Cell Double Agent but this really takes the cake.

Mission 9 immedeately cuts out with the voices and music for whatever the crap reason and I'm left with irritating heavy breathing by ol Fisher. I get to the point where I plant a recorder on the table for the meeting. When meeting is done, normally everyone there leaves.

However, there's a glitch where the door stays closed and the AI is walking around like Goldeneye AI used to do in the 90s. I'm on top above them all and on a pipe. You're supposed to wait for them to exit out and the descend down. If I so much as drop or shoot anyone, it's game over. I can't leave. They can't leave. I have to start over the freekin mission. It's bad enough Double Agent definitely my least favorite SC title but I'm so ready for this game to freekin end, and I can't do that I'm freekin startin over on freekin missions!

#1982 Posted by JordanElek (17943 posts) -

Greatest pause theme ever!roboccs
As soon as I read that, I thought of Battletoads. If it hadn't been that game, I would've yelled at you for being wrong.

I haven't played that game in YEARS, like over ten years at least, but I'll occasionally get that beat stuck in my head for no reason. It's unforgettable. My brothers and I probably kept that game on pause all the time when we were kids just to give us a break from MC Hammer. And because that game was so damn difficult. If we got even reasonably far, especially if we got passed the speeder level, and something came up that we had to stop playing for, we HAD to pause so that we wouldn't have to start over.

#1983 Posted by JordanElek (17943 posts) -

I have been really freekin paranoid with Splinter Cell Double Agent but this really takes the cake.

Mission 9 immedeately cuts out with the voices and music for whatever the crap reason and I'm left with irritating heavy breathing by ol Fisher. I get to the point where I plant a recorder on the table for the meeting. When meeting is done, normally everyone there leaves.

However, there's a glitch where the door stays closed and the AI is walking around like Goldeneye AI used to do in the 90s. I'm on top above them all and on a pipe. You're supposed to wait for them to exit out and the descend down. If I so much as drop or shoot anyone, it's game over. I can't leave. They can't leave. I have to start over the freekin mission. It's bad enough Double Agent definitely my least favorite SC title but I'm so ready for this game to freekin end, and I can't do that I'm freekin startin over on freekin missions!

wiifan001

Give it up, you can't win!

or

Never give up. Trust your instincts!

whichever piece of Star Fox 64 wisdom you prefer. Sometimes games aren't worth finishing.

#1984 Posted by wiifan001 (18436 posts) -

[QUOTE="wiifan001"]

JordanElek

Give it up, you can't win!

or

Never give up. Trust your instincts!

whichever piece of Star Fox 64 wisdom you prefer. Sometimes games aren't worth finishing.

I restarted the level and the voices and music and everything plays out normal for level 9...BUT IT GETS WORSE!

I play mission 10 and defuse the bomb at the very end. A cut scene is SUPPOSED TO roll, and the end credits come in, and maybe a bonus mission depending on the ending...right? RIGHT?!

prgrsvimghttp://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5051393671890433&w=207&h=207&c=8&pid=3.1&qlt=90

As soon as I defuse the bomb, the game freezes a few frames in the ending cut scene. I  can't go back and quick load, which was right before I started defusing the bomb....which means I'd have to start the whole level over just to maybe (if the same thing doesn't happen twice) see the ending cut scene/credits.

But that's what freekin youtube is for. I'm done and I beat the freekin game. Moving on with the gaming debt snowball. And yes, Conviction will wait a while after what Double Agent has done to me.

#1985 Posted by roboccs (7156 posts) -

[QUOTE="roboccs"]Greatest pause theme ever!JordanElek

As soon as I read that, I thought of Battletoads. If it hadn't been that game, I would've yelled at you for being wrong.

I haven't played that game in YEARS, like over ten years at least, but I'll occasionally get that beat stuck in my head for no reason. It's unforgettable. My brothers and I probably kept that game on pause all the time when we were kids just to give us a break from MC Hammer. And because that game was so damn difficult. If we got even reasonably far, especially if we got passed the speeder level, and something came up that we had to stop playing for, we HAD to pause so that we wouldn't have to start over.

Yeah, my brother and I always reference the pause theme or do our own impression of it. That game was impossible. Farthest I got was to this tower level... Never made it to the top. The speeder level was awesome! Still get the music from that level in my head from time to time as well. I always get random old and new game songs in my head. I know I'm not the only one in the "real world" rocking out to the Double Dragon title theme in my head during a work meeting! :lol:
#1986 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

I powered through Fire Emblem: Awakening and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon over the last 3 days. Fire Emblem: Awakening was amazing and my favourite game all year so far. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon was also great, really charming and lots of fun, it's way better than the original game was.

Now I'm moving onto Shin Megami Tensei IV. I don't know if I can play that and Dark Souls concurrently but we'll see. Though I often go for the 3DS because it's on my bed side table and it's easy to just get into a game. I dread turning on the Xbox 360. Every time. But Dark Souls is probably worth doing so.

#1987 Posted by roboccs (7156 posts) -

I powered through Fire Emblem: Awakening and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon over the last 3 days. Fire Emblem: Awakening was amazing and my favourite game all year so far. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon was also great, really charming and lots of fun, it's way better than the original game was.

Now I'm moving onto Shin Megami Tensei IV. I don't know if I can play that and Dark Souls concurrently but we'll see. Though I often go for the 3DS because it's on my bed side table and it's easy to just get into a game. I dread turning on the Xbox 360. Every time. But Dark Souls is probably worth doing so.

Haziqonfire
SMT looks great. That's what I loved about the DS when I was really into it, playing in bed, playing while others were watching tv, etc. That's why off-tv play has so much potential to me. I just wish my WiiU could "reach farther" with it's signal to the game pad. The PS4/vita remote play potential sounds perfect. I could chill in my room across the house and play a full PS4 game... At least that's what I thought it was capable of... Sounds amazing.
#1988 Posted by TxTech1923 (607 posts) -
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

roboccs
SMT looks great. That's what I loved about the DS when I was really into it, playing in bed, playing while others were watching tv, etc. That's why off-tv play has so much potential to me. I just wish my WiiU could "reach farther" with it's signal to the game pad. The PS4/vita remote play potential sounds perfect. I could chill in my room across the house and play a full PS4 game... At least that's what I thought it was capable of... Sounds amazing.

It single handedly validated the system for me :P Of my 160ish hours of playtime, about 4 of those hours are on the TV.. the rest is all gamepad :)
#1989 Posted by roboccs (7156 posts) -
[QUOTE="roboccs"][QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

TxTech1923

It single handedly validated the system for me :P Of my 160ish hours of playtime, about 4 of those hours are on the TV.. the rest is all gamepad :)

True story! I rarely play on tv. Especially since the bulk of my play is VC games so far. SNES games are perfect on the portable platform.
#1990 Posted by JordanElek (17943 posts) -

This site is pretty helpful for tackling your game debt snowball. Even if you don't want to register and keep track of your own stats, it's easy to see about how long a game might take to finish.

I'm not strictly following the rules of the snowball.... Braid would've been my next game to play, but I really wanted to play Earthbound. At first, I thought that Earthbound would be a pain to play because I can't usually have long gaming sessions, but then I remembered restore points and that solved that. It also solves the problem of all the wasted time dying and retrying inherent to games like that.

Anyone else playing Earthbound?

#1991 Posted by roboccs (7156 posts) -

This site is pretty helpful for tackling your game debt snowball. Even if you don't want to register and keep track of your own stats, it's easy to see about how long a game might take to finish.

I'm not strictly following the rules of the snowball.... Braid would've been my next game to play, but I really wanted to play Earthbound. At first, I thought that Earthbound would be a pain to play because I can't usually have long gaming sessions, but then I remembered restore points and that solved that. It also solves the problem of all the wasted time dying and retrying inherent to games like that.

Anyone else playing Earthbound?

JordanElek
I love that site. I think Wreck directed me to it awhile back. Great stuff!
#1992 Posted by wiifan001 (18436 posts) -

I've come across that site a few times. It seems like for every game on GS that had an announced length in a review, I would take about 2 hours longer than the maximum they said. They say 8-10, it'd take me 12.

The more I try to pound away at the snowball, it just keeps coming back to start! I finish Battlefield Bad Company 2, and I pick up Assassin's Creed the next day. Then I finish Fear 2, and get Alan Wake the following day. I finish Splinter Cell Double Agent 2 days ago, and now I pick up Quake 4 today. And I still have some money left over in my steam wallet :P 

The snowball won't go down :cry::o:twisted:

#1993 Posted by roboccs (7156 posts) -
Holy crap did xenoblade frustrate me last night. I'm at Eryth Sea and got to a part where I need to help some groundskeeper and have to beat 4 lizard-ish monsters... They keep sealing my artes and binding my feet... So frustrating and it's the first time I feel the game is being a little cheap... That's my one issue with the genre in general I guess. I think I need to level up a bit more and try it again...
#1994 Posted by MethodManFTW (25846 posts) -
You guys see Arkham City Origins is not getting multiplayer on the WiiU? That seems pretty nuts.
#1995 Posted by moltenix (2487 posts) -

I can't believe i'm saying this but my Wii U and gamepad is collecting dust. Like, literally collecting dust particles. I bought the Wii U along with Lego City (around the week of E3), finished it and that was it.

I'm not getting Pikmin 3 since i'm still playing through Pikmin 2 so no games till Wonderful 101. None of the existing games have been on sale either and i'm not totally crazy about any of them to pay regular price.

#1996 Posted by JordanElek (17943 posts) -

I can't believe i'm saying this but my Wii U and gamepad is collecting dust. Like, literally collecting dust particles. I bought the Wii U along with Lego City (around the week of E3), finished it and that was it.

I'm not getting Pikmin 3 since i'm still playing through Pikmin 2 so no games till Wonderful 101. None of the existing games have been on sale either and i'm not totally crazy about any of them to pay regular price.

moltenix

Earthbound? If it weren't for that and Luigi U (and YouTube) I wouldn't be playing my WiiU at all right now.

#1997 Posted by moltenix (2487 posts) -

Thing is, i've got a TON of games to play (mainly on 3DS).. just not on the Wii U. I just feel kinda bad that it's collecting dust. :P

#1998 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
I've been using my Wii U a lot more the past 2 days ... to watch Orange is the new Black.
#1999 Posted by moltenix (2487 posts) -

No multiplayer for Arkham Origins Wii U and no offline co-op for Splinter Cell.

Now i'm worried about how AC4 and Watch Dogs are gonna turn out. I wanna support third party releases on Wii U but not if they're all gonna pull stunts like this.

#2000 Posted by roboccs (7156 posts) -
My WiiU is used primarily for Miiverse and VC games. I've been playing Wii games on it as well.