The No More Heroes Sales Figures are in....

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Durffen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Durffen
Member since 2007 • 246 Posts

Well, I have been waiting for this for quite awhile now. And here they are.

Amercan Video Game Sales for the Week Ending January 26th.

The 26th huh? That mean's the game has only been in stores for 3 days, 2 for most of the US

No More Heroes has been available for 2 days, and apprently, in those 2 days it has sold....

39,305 copies in the US alone.

So the US sales has almost seemingly doubled the Japan sales, giving a total of around 50,000 copies sold. Which to be honest, is very disappointing. It sucks to see that the reason why people don't bother developing hardcore titles for Wii, is very clear now. And if this keeps up, then Wii will have no hardcore titles that are not developed by Nintendo.

I will be sure, that next time there is a hardcore third party game for Wii, that i will take my "Buy This Game Hype", to many, many other sites, rather then just GameSpot.

com2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 com2006
Member since 2006 • 900 Posts
Wouldn't have sold any better on 360 or PS3 its a niche title. In fact the sales are better than what I thought they would have been
Cheazie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Cheazie
Member since 2008 • 447 Posts

I wont be buying No More Heroes for the Wii!! Its graphically quite terrible and looks as bad as some of the worst PS2 games! I dont mind not having eye candy but i expect companies to at least take pride in there games! I'll wait and save my money for decent looking titles which are coming on out further down the line later this year.

Keep my money for Medal of honour (^.^)

hugo_ben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hugo_ben
Member since 2003 • 355 Posts
So you got those numbers from VGCharts (at least the number is the same)...but the total it's not 50,000, it's 70,000. Considering not everyone was able to get the game yet, and Europe still didn't get it, it should pass easily the 200,000 copies sold in its lifetime which makes it by far the best selling game produced by Suda 51.
LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts

I wont be buying No More Heroes for the Wii!! Its graphically quite terrible and looks as bad as some of the worst PS2 games! I dont mind not having eye candy but i expect companies to at least take pride in there games! I'll wait and save my money for decent looking titles which are coming on out further down the line later this year.

Cheazie
artistic direction outweigh technical graphics with this game imo.
gam3r3OOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 gam3r3OOO
Member since 2003 • 1442 Posts

Its too bad. It really is. Suda 51 goes out of their way to make an original game with style and it just isn't that popular. Well maybe I'm partially to blame (as I didn't buy a copy either). But thats because I'm saving up for Brawl (which I pre-ordered). The other thing is the general public knows not about these games like: No More Heroes, Killer 7, Zach/Wiki, Okami and Viewtiful Joe.

hugo_ben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hugo_ben
Member since 2003 • 355 Posts
It's still selling better than Zack&Wiki did (both in Japan and US)
Ire-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ire-7
Member since 2006 • 466 Posts

I wont be buying Medal of Honour for the Wii!! Its graphically quite terrible and looks as bad as some of the worst PS2 games! I dont mind not having eye candy but i expect companies to at least take pride in there games! I'll wait and save my money for decent looking titles which are coming on out further down the line later this year.

Keeping my money for No More Heroes (^.^)

Cheazie
ahh ok fixed much better now
Popadophalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Popadophalis
Member since 2007 • 1587 Posts
I thought the game was sold out??
AfterTheFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 AfterTheFall
Member since 2006 • 425 Posts

I thought the game was sold out??Popadophalis

I also heard this,maybe its because Capcom didnt ship enough copies ?

ri_od

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ri_od
Member since 2007 • 41 Posts

[QUOTE="Popadophalis"]I thought the game was sold out??AfterTheFall

I also heard this,maybe its because Capcom didnt ship enough copies ?

Actually it's Ubisoft... and you can never count on them

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Cyber-
Member since 2007 • 4026 Posts

Have you guys noticed something......

Its only been out for a couple of days 2 for most people like you said. Considering that this game had no advertisement and most wii fans are fools its selling pretty good. I think a fair assessment of the sales would be next week sales cause this week no one could get it. Its actually doing decent. Remember most games dont sel 200, 00 the first 3 days.

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Cyber-

This game beat Sonic and Mario for the Ds and that game is huge. We wont have a fair assessment until next week. Just try to buy it everyone lets try and show third parties that not all wii fans are moronic.

One thing I do wanna say is even if this was on the 360 it would probabaly have the same results because you cant have a milion seller with zero advertisement.

blueydwlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blueydwlf
Member since 2007 • 385 Posts

Cheazie

Actually the graphics are pretty good for the style of the game. I own it and have played nearly through it and love it. Dont judge something you have never played. This game is a must for any Wii owner.

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cyber-
guys this is actually doing alright.
sherlock99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#16 sherlock99
Member since 2005 • 1600 Posts

TC your are wrong nmh is selling great ubisoft only shipped between 45,000/50,000 copies in the Game is sold out know the facts before you post in here is a fun fact for you no more heroes is suda 51 best selling game (EVER) in japan an and america no other game has reached the level success as NMH has for this company here is a link that proves this game is sold-out .

http://gonintendo.com/?p=34409

Jazunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jazunn
Member since 2007 • 666 Posts
Wow! NMH is doing great! I am quite happy. I haven't been able to snatch up a copy yet. Is it released in Canada yet?
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts

Cheazie

Have you read reviews?

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Another thing to note is that its not even out in Canada yet.
Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts
I gotta say I don't really feel that'ts that bad of a total really. I could see it selling rather well for at least a few weeks. It is a niche, hardcore title and I think that a couple hundred thousand copies is pretty good for it. And with this and now Fatl Frame 4 exculsive I think the Wii might be on the right path :) Keep your chin up eh.
Avatar image for Stonetowerghost
Stonetowerghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#22 Stonetowerghost
Member since 2005 • 306 Posts
The game doesn't look terrible. Screen shots don't count, guy. You have to play it.
calcal404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 calcal404
Member since 2007 • 52 Posts

IT IS AMAZING THAT SO MANY PEOPLE DONT HAVE A CLUE ABOUT GAME SALES:|

#1 THE GAME SUPPLY WAS SHORT SO 40K IS LIKELY THE THE MOST UBI COULD SHIP THE FIRST WEEK.

REMEMBER THE GAME WAS TO RELEASE FEB.5!!

#2 ITS THE FIRST WEEK

#3 WHY DO PEOPLE THINK EVERY GAME HAS TO DO MADDEN NUMBERS THE FIRST WEEK??????:question:

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts
Plus I just looked at the charts and Burnout Paradise sold only 60,000 copies for 360 and came in at like number 5 or something. That's with several days of extra sales. That's a title that keeps getting sequels and will be considered a hit on the 360. I think it's fair to say that No More Heroes could sell enough (probably selling better that Burnout which are great games in my opinion) and could help fuel more Suda 51 games and mature games of this nature in general.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wintry_Flutist

IT IS AMAZING THAT SO MANY PEOPLE DONT HAVE A CLUE ABOUT GAME SALES:|

#1 THE GAME SUPPLY WAS SHORT SO 40K IS LIKELY THE THE MOST UBI COULD SHIP THE FIRST WEEK.

REMEMBER THE GAME WAS TO RELEASE FEB.5!!

#2 ITS THE FIRST WEEK

#3 WHY DO PEOPLE THINK EVERY GAME HAS TO DO MADDEN NUMBERS THE FIRST WEEK??????:question:

calcal404

I guess you don't have a clue about our complains. We're complaining exactly about Ubi not shipping enough units and not marketing the game. Same for Japan and whoever was responsible for that there.

gooflee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gooflee
Member since 2005 • 652 Posts
I don't understand why people fault UBisoft for releasing limited copies of NMH. The game didn't exactly sell well in Japan, and the hardcore market for the Wii seems to be on the weak side. Killer 7 didn't sell well and it has the same graphic style as NMH, so it is smart to slowly ramp production on the game if necessary. I think the numbers are decent for 2 days of sales, and the games is still in the top 25 Wii games sold on Amazon. Even Wiki seems to be being better on Amazon after the price drop.
LastRide_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LastRide_basic
Member since 2002 • 1908 Posts

This game is not available until Feb. 8 here in Canada. It got pushed back.

Avatar image for deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
Member since 2004 • 16051 Posts
i would buy the game.. but not until Feb 11 when i`ll be in teh states// they did not bring teh game to my country yet (thus even if they would have, i would buy it here, they tend to double the price)
shark2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 shark2k6
Member since 2006 • 1512 Posts

v

This game beat Sonic and Mario for the Ds and that game is huge. We wont have a fair assessment until next week. Just try to buy it everyone lets try and show third parties that not all wii fans are moronic.

One thing I do wanna say is even if this was on the 360 it would probabaly have the same results because you cant have a milion seller with zero advertisement.

Cyber-

Get over yourself. Not all Wii fans are moronic because they did not want to buy this game. First off, a bigger portion of Wii owners are casual gamers which means they will more than likely not be interested in a game like this. Secondly if more 3rd party developers created games for the Wii that were on par quality-wise (even graphics-wise) with 1st party games, they could probably influence more hardcore gamers to come over to the Wii. But to say Wii fans are moronic for not purchasing this game is an insult. I for one did not like Killer 7 (and yes I played it, I actually purchased it based soley off of reviews) and I did not think it was as good as everyone says. So just because some people like it, does not mean that everyone will like it.

I don't understand why people fault UBisoft for releasing limited copies of NMH. The game didn't exactly sell well in Japan, and the hardcore market for the Wii seems to be on the weak side. Killer 7 didn't sell well and it has the same graphic style as NMH, so it is smart to slowly ramp production on the game if necessary. I think the numbers are decent for 2 days of sales, and the games is still in the top 25 Wii games sold on Amazon. Even Wiki seems to be being better on Amazon after the price drop. gooflee

A big part of it can be blamed on Ubisoft. They hardly did any advertising for the game where non hardcore gamers would see it. Most of the (little) advertising they did was on gaming websites such as IGN and GameSpot. Advertising is a big part of sales. Look at Apple and how they advertise the s**t out of their products. People that are not just techies or geeks know about the iPod and the iPhone and other Mac products. So if Ubisoft had advertised more, than they could have created more interest in the game.

-Shark2k

Itsthetruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Itsthetruth
Member since 2008 • 318 Posts

I'd say that Ubisoft itself wasn't expecting this to be a top seller so they decided not to risk over-than-average advertising. When the company's responsables saw the game they probably thought of it as any misinformed poster we see around in the foruns: "the game doesn't looks good", "it's just another japanese extravaganza", "visuals look unfinished". It's funny that some of the most powerful persons in the industry are not even gamers.

If it was tittle they really wanted to sell they'd create a big hype out of a mediocre game as usual.

laus_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 laus_basic
Member since 2002 • 8300 Posts

40k for 2 days is damn good to me, especially for such a niche game with 0 advertising

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Wintry_Flutist

I don't understand why people fault UBisoft for releasing limited copies of NMH. The game didn't exactly sell well in Japan, and the hardcore market for the Wii seems to be on the weak side. Killer 7 didn't sell well and it has the same graphic style as NMH, so it is smart to slowly ramp production on the game if necessary. I think the numbers are decent for 2 days of sales, and the games is still in the top 25 Wii games sold on Amazon. Even Wiki seems to be being better on Amazon after the price drop. gooflee

Look at sales of Zelda, Metroid or Mario, which are hardcore games - except for Mario in some ways - and it will be obvious that NMH has potential to sell WAY more than 50 000 units. But Ubi thinks that will happen "naturally".

gooflee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gooflee

[QUOTE="gooflee"]I don't understand why people fault UBisoft for releasing limited copies of NMH. The game didn't exactly sell well in Japan, and the hardcore market for the Wii seems to be on the weak side. Killer 7 didn't sell well and it has the same graphic style as NMH, so it is smart to slowly ramp production on the game if necessary. I think the numbers are decent for 2 days of sales, and the games is still in the top 25 Wii games sold on Amazon. Even Wiki seems to be being better on Amazon after the price drop. Wintry_Flutist

Look at sales of Zelda, Metroid or Mario, which are hardcore games - except for Mario in some ways - and it will be obvious that NMH has potential to sell WAY more than 50 000 units. But Ubi thinks that will happen "naturally".

Mario isn't really a hardcore game, and Zelda was a launch title. When Metroid first came out, I remember people on these boards were concerned about the amount of sales for the first few weeks and blamed it on Nintendo for not hyping it up more. There has to be a balance for the amount of money spent on advertising and the expected return. When some people see "cell-shaded" graphics, they discount the game right off the bat, no matter how fun the game or how much it is advertised. Look at Windwaker. How many people loved the game but wished it wasn't cell shaded? How many people didn't buy the game because it was cell shaded? It costs money to press game cds, so it is best to press less if you are unsure how many units you can sell.

newkid69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 newkid69
Member since 2007 • 293 Posts
I'm buying this game!!!!!:D
Durffen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Durffen
Member since 2007 • 246 Posts

Wintry_Flutist

Thank you.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Wintry_Flutist
[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]

[QUOTE="gooflee"]I don't understand why people fault UBisoft for releasing limited copies of NMH. The game didn't exactly sell well in Japan, and the hardcore market for the Wii seems to be on the weak side. Killer 7 didn't sell well and it has the same graphic style as NMH, so it is smart to slowly ramp production on the game if necessary. I think the numbers are decent for 2 days of sales, and the games is still in the top 25 Wii games sold on Amazon. Even Wiki seems to be being better on Amazon after the price drop. gooflee

Mario isn't really a hardcore game, and Zelda was a launch title. When Metroid first came out, I remember people on these boards were concerned about the amount of sales for the first few weeks and blamed it on Nintendo for not hyping it up more. There has to be a balance for the amount of money spent on advertising and the expected return. When some people see "cell-shaded" graphics, they discount the game right off the bat, no matter how fun the game or how much it is advertised. Look at Windwaker. How many people loved the game but wished it wasn't cell shaded? How many people didn't buy the game because it was cell shaded? It costs money to press game cds, so it is best to press less if you are unsure how many units you can sell.

Man, there's no denial NMH is doing worse than it deserves for marketing reasons. It could have sold a lot more already, everyone knows it, both in USA and Japan. It's not necessarily a million seller, but come on. 50 000 on launch for a high rated and orignal game is a shame.

gooflee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gooflee
[QUOTE="gooflee"][QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]

[QUOTE="gooflee"]I don't understand why people fault UBisoft for releasing limited copies of NMH. The game didn't exactly sell well in Japan, and the hardcore market for the Wii seems to be on the weak side. Killer 7 didn't sell well and it has the same graphic style as NMH, so it is smart to slowly ramp production on the game if necessary. I think the numbers are decent for 2 days of sales, and the games is still in the top 25 Wii games sold on Amazon. Even Wiki seems to be being better on Amazon after the price drop. Wintry_Flutist

Man, there's no denial NMH is doing worse than it deserves for marketing reasons. It could have sold a lot more already, everyone knows it, both in USA and Japan. It's not necessarily a million seller, but come on. 50 000 on launch for a high rated and orignal game is a shame.

Again marketing doesn't guarantee success. In Japan they had marketing, which included giving out NMR toilet paper.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Wintry_Flutist

Again marketing doesn't guarantee success. In Japan they had marketing, which included giving out NMR toilet paper.

gooflee

During the launch party... to the staff. :|

youxknowitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 youxknowitt
Member since 2006 • 217 Posts
[QUOTE="Cheazie"]

LINKloco

artistic direction outweigh technical graphics with this game imo.

exactly and thank you

gooflee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gooflee
[QUOTE="gooflee"]

Wintry_Flutist

This doesn't look like a picture from a Launch Party...

Blog from Wire
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Wintry_Flutist
[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"][QUOTE="gooflee"]

gooflee

Blog from Wire

I'll give you that. As long as you admit this is more of Suda's little stylish jokes than marketing that sells a game.

BubbyJello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BubbyJello
Member since 2007 • 2750 Posts

Cheazie

Medal of Honor doesn't look better then most PS2 games. Actually, I think its one of the worst looking Wii games out there. I mean, it is a port from the PSP.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I guess you don't have a clue about our complains. We're complaining exactly about Ubi not shipping enough units and not marketing the game. Same for Japan and whoever was responsible for that there.

Wintry_Flutist

As far as shipping units I don't think Ubisoft had a decision in that at all.

This is an obscure game, just as Katamari had a limit on how many copies each store was willing to take.

Stores don't want a lot of unknown games, they want real titles to take up the shelf space. When they order games they take a certain number of titles to throw the dice with but if Ubisoft wanted to double their effort everywhere the stores would have said no.

gooflee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gooflee
[QUOTE="gooflee"][QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"][QUOTE="gooflee"]

Wintry_Flutist

Blog from Wire

I'll give you that. As long as you admit this is more of Suda's little stylish jokes than marketing that sells a game.

Plus notice at the end of the article:

In addition to the stylish toilet paper, a small, metal beam katana cell phone charm also came with certain copies of No More Heroes.

The comments below the article say there was a decent marketing push in Japan for the game.

Packfan104L4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Packfan104L4
Member since 2007 • 188 Posts

Cheazie

The graphics are they way they are for a reason. Go buy a 360 or PS3 if you're looking for graphics over gameplay.

meinink2y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 meinink2y
Member since 2007 • 657 Posts
Doesn't seem too bad to me. Plus, I think this game will have some legs from all the positive word-of-mouth. I wasn't originally set on getting it, but after hearing how much everyone loves it, it's now on my list for somewhere down the road, after Brawl and Okami.
legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts

Cheazie
why on earth would not buy nmh but buy some mediocre(imo, i diddnt like it) ww2 shooter?! its exaxctly people like you why most third parties dont do good with wii games. eny way the game did better then i thought, and it hasnt even come out in canada!
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

Cheazie

Right, because you play the graphics :roll:.

jmizzal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jmizzal
Member since 2005 • 320 Posts
Umm 40,000 in the first to days for NMH is very good get a clue this is not Halo, its not gonna sell 1 mil first week. Yes it could have sold more if they shipped more, but thats way more then Zak and Wiki did in its first few weeks. By the end of Feb once its out world wide it could be over 200,000 and thats great.