The Elite 4 mechanic are incompatible to pokemon games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by fgjnfgh (2628 posts) -

I really enjoy pokemon games and it's my favourit game series. I try to catch all pokemon to complete my dex and I try to level up the ones I like. In pokemon black, I have more than 25 pokemon all around 40-45 level and I don't think that you can have more than that amount of pokemon at the same level before reaching the elite 4. As I said, I alter between pokemons because if you are going to stick to the same 6 pokemons for the rest of the game and leave the other 152 something untouchable where is the fun in that? So, I reached the elite 4 and I know that I won't be able to beat them because my pokemon levels are around 40-45 cloaking around 100 hours of play time. Thats how I enjoy pokemon, catch them, raise them, then switch to the next pokemons to raise up their levels. I have a friend who played pokemon white who only had 2 strong pokemon pegnite level 52 and stoutland level 60 and beat the elite 4 useing those 2 pokemons and his play time is 55 hours. Without gussing, he spent his time raising those 2 pokemon and ignoring the others. You see the difference here? My play time is 100 hours with around 30 pokemons (or more) with levels 40-45 and I cant beat the elite 4. I don't know where is the fun if you are going to focus on 2 pokemons and carry through the elite 4 and beat them.

When pokemon leaf grean/fire red came out, I had charizard in my party and I used to choose him only ignoring all the other pokemons. I remember I had him at level 60 when I rechaed the elite 4. I realized it's boring to rely on 2-3 strong pokemons and ignore the others. I change this boring strategy when other pokemon games came out, but it seems that the fun way doesn't work.

#2 Posted by spike6958 (4686 posts) -

So because you choose to play in a niche way instead of the intended way the Elite 4 is broken? The game expects you to pick 6 Pokemon and train them, not 30 because you don't need that many. If you want to play that way then expect to have to grind a lot. The Elite 4 is fine if you play the way the games designers intended you to play it, you can't expect them to cater for every single idea someone might have for a novel way to play though the game.

Also, just a suggestion, but perhaps if you enjoy training lots of Pokemon you should try Nuzlocke?

#3 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16610 posts) -

Generally, the grinding of Pokemon comes after the Elite 4 is beaten, not before. I see no problem with it as is.

#4 Posted by spike6958 (4686 posts) -

Generally, the grinding of Pokemon comes after the Elite 4 is beaten, not before. I see no problem with it as is.

turtlethetaffer
Yes, but if you want to use 30+ Pokemon like the OP does, you need to be willing to adjust for that. You can't play though a game that intends for you to use a max of 6 Pokemon with 30 and expect to be at the same level without putting in a bit more effort when raising them.
#5 Posted by moltenix (2483 posts) -

I'm still trying to figure out how someone's able to go through the pre-e4 swapping out between ~30 Pokemon. :shock:

I always use a six Pokemon teams and often find that it can be hard to balance out the usage of each of the 6.

#6 Posted by Jaysonguy (37529 posts) -

I really enjoy pokemon games and it's my favourit game series. I try to catch all pokemon to complete my dex and I try to level up the ones I like. In pokemon black, I have more than 25 pokemon all around 40-45 level and I don't think that you can have more than that amount of pokemon at the same level before reaching the elite 4. As I said, I alter between pokemons because if you are going to stick to the same 6 pokemons for the rest of the game and leave the other 152 something untouchable where is the fun in that? So, I reached the elite 4 and I know that I won't be able to beat them because my pokemon levels are around 40-45 cloaking around 100 hours of play time. Thats how I enjoy pokemon, catch them, raise them, then switch to the next pokemons to raise up their levels. I have a friend who played pokemon white who only had 2 strong pokemon pegnite level 52 and stoutland level 60 and beat the elite 4 useing those 2 pokemons and his play time is 55 hours. Without gussing, he spent his time raising those 2 pokemon and ignoring the others. You see the difference here? My play time is 100 hours with around 30 pokemons (or more) with levels 40-45 and I cant beat the elite 4. I don't know where is the fun if you are going to focus on 2 pokemons and carry through the elite 4 and beat them.

When pokemon leaf grean/fire red came out, I had charizard in my party and I used to choose him only ignoring all the other pokemons. I remember I had him at level 60 when I rechaed the elite 4. I realized it's boring to rely on 2-3 strong pokemons and ignore the others. I change this boring strategy when other pokemon games came out, but it seems that the fun way doesn't work.

fgjnfgh

Wow, you're like the one person who doesn't understand how to play Pokemon lol

My Mom catches every Pokemon in the game, gets them to around 80 and moves on, My MOM does that.

I'm really enjoying the fact that my Mom plays Pokemon better then you do, especially after the "long history" you have with it.

Then again my Mom is the best Pokemon player I know and shes smart enough to know that there's no place in the current Pokemon world where a level 40 anything will get you to the end of the game.

So here's my advice to you, stop playing Pokemon wrong.

Holy crap, I just had to say stop playing Pokemon wrong.

You're playing Pokemon wrong, I don't know why you decided that you wanted to play Pokemon wrong but bravo, you did.

So yeah, stop doing that.

#7 Posted by fgjnfgh (2628 posts) -

I'm still trying to figure out how someone's able to go through the pre-e4 swapping out between ~30 Pokemon. :shock:

I always use a six Pokemon teams and often find that it can be hard to balance out the usage of each of the 6.

moltenix
So you've been using the same 6 pokemon from the beginning of the game through the elit4. I don't see the fun in that because as you reach the elite 4 then whats left of the game like 20 %? so the first 80% you've been using the same pokemons over and over again. Every gym leader uses different types of pokemon than other gym leaders, so It's a good opportunity to catch other pokemons that have advantages over gym leafer's pokemons and raise their levels instead of relying on the same 6 pokemons. It's fun and rewarding because you get different types of pokemon and you level them up at the same time. This works for gym leaders but doesn't work for the elite 4. Think of it this way, you start with low number of pokemons then you catch more and raise up their levels as you alter and carry them throughout your journy, or using the same pokemons for the whole journey and then you beat the elite 4 which counts as almost finishing the game then catch pokemons and rasie them after? It would be difficult to raise and evolve them after you've beaten the elite 4
#8 Posted by fgjnfgh (2628 posts) -

and one more thing I got to say that notice how the good pokemons or popular ones are ditributed. Obviously, you don't even see them in half of the story.

#9 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

I think it's fun raising one Pokemon...

#10 Posted by TankZorz (1836 posts) -
This game is designed so you can play it however you want; you are not playing it wrong. On the same note, you have to realize that the way you choose to play it affects the timeline as far as when you can beat the Elite 4 and complete other tasks. At this point in your game, you are probably better off focusing on a few pokemon that will get you past the Elite four and then go back to the style of playing you like after you've beat them.
#11 Posted by mikeyMKII (754 posts) -

In all my games, R/B to Diamond, I have never used a team less than 4 pokemon. One day maybe:lol:

#12 Posted by KBFloYd (12970 posts) -

i normally train 4 pokemon and even then its hard to beat the elite four....

if you want to train like 10 or 20 pokemon then you have your work cut out for you...or ask advice from jasonguys mom :P

#13 Posted by funsohng (27595 posts) -
[QUOTE="moltenix"]

fgjnfgh
So you've been using the same 6 pokemon from the beginning of the game through the elit4. I don't see the fun in that because as you reach the elite 4 then whats left of the game like 20 %? so the first 80% you've been using the same pokemons over and over again. Every gym leader uses different types of pokemon than other gym leaders, so It's a good opportunity to catch other pokemons that have advantages over gym leafer's pokemons and raise their levels instead of relying on the same 6 pokemons. It's fun and rewarding because you get different types of pokemon and you level them up at the same time. This works for gym leaders but doesn't work for the elite 4. Think of it this way, you start with low number of pokemons then you catch more and raise up their levels as you alter and carry them throughout your journy, or using the same pokemons for the whole journey and then you beat the elite 4 which counts as almost finishing the game then catch pokemons and rasie them after? It would be difficult to raise and evolve them after you've beaten the elite 4

That would be because real Pokemon players play single player campaign as a tutorial and really grind AFTER the elite 4 where you open up a lot more stuff to challenge themselves in multiplayer battles and/or battle towers/frontier/subway/PWT. Because a lot of EV-effecting items, and the very fact you can selectively battle high-leveled, specific EV-yielder more easily in post elite-4, it's definitely a lot easier to properly train. Moreover, you get the boltbeam, EQ, etc TMs only after the story in 5th gen, you really can't properly make the best pokemon pre-elite 4 anyway. Also, because of the availability of high leveled wild Audino, post-elite 4 grinding for hatched eggs are ridiculously easy.
#14 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4676 posts) -

Most pokemon players I know tend to finish the story quickly to access all the post-Elite Four goodies. We believe that raising pokemon becomes much more enjoyable and accessible after you beat the game; you're not restricted by level caps from traded pokemon, you have more places to train, and you have access to all TMs, HMs, and items.

If you like to train dozens of pokemon at the same time, then it's fine by me, but keep in mind that your pokemon will often be underleveled as a result, thus giving you a harder time with the Elite Four.

Happy training! :)

#15 Posted by siberian142 (7773 posts) -
Focusing on only a couple of Pokemon is a bad habit for me in Pokemon games, but it works. Yours seems a little over the top though. Having a balanced team of six with a bunch of alternatives sounds fine, but attempting to evenly train everything you catch isn't the most effective approach. All the more power to you if that's what you enjoy to do, but the Elite 4 isn't really a problem. Choose a team of six Pokemon, grind them to a sufficient level and beat the Elite 4.
#16 Posted by Sepewrath (28681 posts) -
People play the game, they way they want to play it. If they choose to have 1 really strong Pokemon for the entirety of the game, that's their business. If that's how they have fun, then that's how they have fun. If you choose to play the game a certain way and it makes the game harder for you, either you change your strategy or you push through it. Don't expect the game to change for you.
#17 Posted by TankZorz (1836 posts) -
People play the game, they way they want to play it. If they choose to have 1 really strong Pokemon for the entirety of the game, that's their business. If that's how they have fun, then that's how they have fun. If you choose to play the game a certain way and it makes the game harder for you, either you change your strategy or you push through it. Don't expect the game to change for you.Sepewrath
This. And the people saying that he is playing it wrong or saying that "real pokemon players" play a certain way are just narrow-minded.
#18 Posted by nintendofreak_2 (25896 posts) -

I usually end up using 6-10 Pokemon on any given play through. The fun for me is building one team and figuring out how to maximize that combination in any situation. That's kinda how the game is designed. I understand what you're trying to do, but because of the level climb that occurs naturally, your method is just not going to work.

And besides that, the Pokemon you're running into once you get to the E4 later in the games are a bit higher than level 40, so the trainers are going to be higher still. And hwo exactly do you plan to use those 30 Pokemon in the E4 anyway? You can't switch out, you only get 6 Pokemon. That's kinda why they want you to play it that way.

#19 Posted by Will47 (6826 posts) -
I don't even raise six. I just pick two or three at most raise them up. Then when I get to the Elite Four I train up a few meat bags to a decent level so they can take some blows while I heal my main team.
#20 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12718 posts) -
Sticking with the same six Pokemon throughout the main game is faster and less tedious.
#21 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

how can anyone have problems with the elite four? You can easily beat them even if their pokes are 10 levels above you. Smart typ match ups and stat boosting moves like clam mind, dragon dance, and swords dance obliterate them.

#22 Posted by fgjnfgh (2628 posts) -

[QUOTE="fgjnfgh"][QUOTE="moltenix"]

funsohng

That would be because real Pokemon players play single player campaign as a tutorial and really grind AFTER the elite 4 where you open up a lot more stuff to challenge themselves in multiplayer battles and/or battle towers/frontier/subway/PWT. Because a lot of EV-effecting items, and the very fact you can selectively battle high-leveled, specific EV-yielder more easily in post elite-4, it's definitely a lot easier to properly train. Moreover, you get the boltbeam, EQ, etc TMs only after the story in 5th gen, you really can't properly make the best pokemon pre-elite 4 anyway. Also, because of the availability of high leveled wild Audino, post-elite 4 grinding for hatched eggs are ridiculously easy.

So you do your EV training after the elite 4? Isn't best to do right away after you obtain the pokemon? because if you do it your way and since you are sticking to few pokemon 2-3 then those pokemon would already used their EV points while reaching to the elite 4 game progress

#23 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

So you do your EV training after the elite 4? Isn't best to do right away after you obtain the pokemon? because if you do it your way and since you are sticking to few pokemon 2-3 then those pokemon would already used their EV points while reaching to the elite 4 game progress

fgjnfgh

It's a huge pain to EV train before the elite four... trust me, I've tried. But anyways most players have a team for beating the Elite Four that is separate from their competitive teams.

#24 Posted by Will47 (6826 posts) -

[QUOTE="fgjnfgh"]

Pixel-Perfect

It's a huge pain to EV train before the elite four... trust me, I've tried. But anyways most players have a team for beating the Elite Four that is separate from their competitive teams.

I agree, I would never EV train before the elite four. Besides if you're going to bother EV training something at least go through the breeding process to make sure you're EV training something good.
#25 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pixel-Perfect"]

[QUOTE="fgjnfgh"]

Will47

I agree, I would never EV train before the elite four. Besides if you're going to bother EV training something at least go through the breeding process to make sure you're EV training something good.

This pokemon caught in the wild are almost guarunteed to have trash IV's as well as already having some of their EV's devoted to random stats.