Symbolism in Zelda... What the frick does all this stuff mean?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pungaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 pungaboy
Member since 2002 • 270 Posts
So does anybody know what the crap the TriForce is supposed to symbolise? Does anything in this game mean anything? Why is every game (excluding Majora's Mask) the exact same story? I keep thinking that maybe it's like a really deep investigation of the cyclic nature of time or the symbiotic relationship between good and evil, but then I wonder if it isn't just a whole bunch of half-cocked ideas that really don't mean anything...
CrazyIvanIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CrazyIvanIV
Member since 2007 • 613 Posts

Plato, the philosophers concept of a just soul consists of three parts, ironically that is wisdom, courage, and willpower.

Plato argues that Wisdom should be the keeper of the three parts because without wisdom, courage has no purpose, and willpower has no ambition.

Zelda is wisdom. And as link, you fight against blind willpower

CrazyIvanIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CrazyIvanIV
Member since 2007 • 613 Posts
Zelda is perhaps the most meaningful videogame ever created. There are actually books written, talking about the mythos of zelda and its philosophies. The message of zelda trancends time and culture and expands on over thousands of years of philosophy.
hiho24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 hiho24
Member since 2005 • 4052 Posts

That is your research? To post a topic!? :lol:

Of course there is meaning to the story! Play OOT the triforce is discussed. Also gametrailers has a retrospect that explains a lot of things as well.

Totodile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Totodile
Member since 2005 • 998 Posts
Double clawshots ftw
pungaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pungaboy
Member since 2002 • 270 Posts
Well, to hiho24 I say this: After I played Ocarina, I thought, "Wow, that was a great story." However, it's been about ten years since I played that game through, so while I may vaguely recall some of the symbolism being explained, I think it's ridiculous for the writers to think that I'm going to remember this information 4 sequels down the line. I think that if a game/movie/book is going to start throwing really vague symbols around, (like a TRIANGLE, for God's sake) that they had better explain a little bit what this triangle should mean to me. Otherwise you could misinterpret it as any number of things. Hell, a triangle is probably the oldest phallic representation in history. Therefore a person could interpret Link drawing the sword (another classic phallus) from the stone in the temple of time as some crazy message about longevity during lovemaking, though I doubt very much that this is the INTENDED message. Further to this point, I have to disagree with CrazyIvanIV: I don't buy into this idea that because a person can dissect a game and read meaning into it, it is therefore meaningful. Well, maybe I don't diagree with him so much as I'm just skeptical that the writers and creators really had any clear vision as to what the story would be and what it would all mean. A person could argue that the fact that Link's life force is measured in hearts is a deeper symbol of something, but again, I doubt that it's what the creator's intended. I guess I started thinking about all of this after finishing the Twilight Princess game (finally) a couple weeks back. It sort of occurred to me that while there was a hell of a lot of narrative going on, there wasn't a whole lot being communicated. Or rather; that while the stories of many events were being relayed, there was not much of an underlying message or truth. So that said, I guess my real question isn't so much "Is there any meaning to be found in this game?" as it is, "Is the creator/writer/designer trying to communicate anything through this story?" Or is it just 2 cups of derivative mixed with a bunch of rehash? I find the Plato reference pretty compelling though. Do you think that the Japanese creators were influenced by classic Western philosophy?
Darkness-zora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Darkness-zora
Member since 2007 • 336 Posts

Plato, the philosophers concept of a just soul consists of three parts, ironically that is wisdom, courage, and willpower.

Plato argues that Wisdom should be the keeper of the three parts because without wisdom, courage has no purpose, and willpower has no ambition.

CrazyIvanIV
isnt it wisdom, power and courage and whoever gets these 3 peices togther will have the power of the gods and thats what ganon wants and also there are multiple links and zeldas
pjizzile11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 pjizzile11
Member since 2005 • 966 Posts

There are 3 pieces power(ganons), wisdom(zeldas) and courage(links). Ganon wants all 3 pieces so he can get really powerful and rule the world...forever.

Billie_Jean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Billie_Jean
Member since 2003 • 150 Posts

I see heaps of Symbolismin Zelda, the all seeing eye, pyramids,two headed eagle,ocullt going back to egypt, elements (earth, wind, fire etc etc) Goats and owls, aliens -(Gorons/Zoros) (The red heads - Nephlim/Giants) akaGannon, theyare stone builders (masons? Sages - they protect the secrets of the ages.

Theres so much more....... if you haveread aboutthe secret sociaties like the freemasons and illuminati alsooccult then you'll understand all the symbols in the game.

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts

Double clawshots ftwTotodile

Your sig is way outdated.

But to be on topic, I've never noticed any symbolism. But then again I'm not a really deep person so things like that fly over my head unless they're pointed out to me.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
[QUOTE="CrazyIvanIV"]

Darkness-zora
isnt it wisdom, power and courage and whoever gets these 3 peices togther will have the power of the gods and thats what ganon wants and also there are multiple links and zeldas

Nice.
Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts

The symbolism in Zelda is taken from many different cultures and all stitched together in a game to create a flowing, diverse universe.

Hmm, you really make me wonder about the time aspect. I think time in Zelda reflects continuity since there is always a different Gannon, Zelda and Link and history always repeats itself due to circumstantial simularities. I think it's supposed to represent an endless battle between good and evil (or symbiotic relationship, as you put it) that is fought in the same place during different time frames.

KingKoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 KingKoop
Member since 2005 • 4268 Posts
Secretly it's a huge love triangle between all 3 of them tht's why Sheik (OoT) was running scared from Ganondorf ;)
andrewkozis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#14 andrewkozis
Member since 2005 • 3336 Posts

CrazyIvanIV
what he said