Super Paper Mario.....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

Is Super Paper MArio more like Super Mario Bros or SM world? I like SMB more straightforward design as oposed to the openess of SMW, so just curious. 

and yeah i know its not a straight up 2d platformer- i know about the flipping to 3d and that it has some elements from the mario rpgs

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

1. It's a bad game

2. It's the best selling version

3. It plays nothing like any Mario game

Tonindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Tonindo
Member since 2006 • 563 Posts

It's kind of a mix between the other Paper Mario games and the typical Mario sidescroller, although it resembles the Paper Mario games more. It's the worst game in the Paper Mario series, but that doesn't mean that it's a bad game.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
it's really not like either of them. think of it as a sidescrolling RPG-lite. it has amazing writing, and the gameplay is fun, but while platform is actively present, it's not really a platformer.
calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

Well to each his own. Super Paper Mario is fun!!!!You earn increasing HP (health power) and use your coins to buy items to fight off enemies. You earn points to increase your stength as you move throught the game. You use pipes to warp back and forth between two worlds. You also move in a sidescrolling manner in 2D and then can use 3D for a very short time to find paths you'd never see in 2D. You use different characters and their skills(mario,peach,bowser and luigi) to get through each area. You use side characters to help you accomplish different sections of the game. You have a choice to who you use. It isn't always set that you have to use only a specific character unless you need to shrink so you have to use Dottie. The game is filled with humor and the controls work wonderfully. There are 8 worlds with 4 parts each. There are treasure maps,card collecting and item mixing to create different powers to fight enemies. You can even visit an arcade to play little games. Once the game is over you can enter the Pit of 100 Trials and fight numerous characters if you didn't get enough in the first play through.

This is the game that could shine on the gamepad just like Zelda games where you switch out gear etc.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
Super Paper Mario is kind of in its own league. It's not like any other Mario game. I thought it was a great game though. For $20 it's more than worth it.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#7 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

As another psoter said, it's not really like other Mario games. There is 2D side scrolling and leveling up and stuff... Hoenstly I think it's just an okay game and nothing more.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

It's a nice side game in the Paper Mario series.  It's a nice change of pace, it's pretty cool.

But by itself it gets stampeded on...

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BrunoBRS

It's a nice side game in the Paper Mario series.  It's a nice change of pace, it's pretty cool.

Chozofication
i thought the game was pretty good on its own, very charming, very funny, and pretty unique. i was honestly surprised by it, given how people love to bash the game.
Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

BrunoBRS

i thought the game was pretty good on its own, very charming, very funny, and pretty unique. i was honestly surprised by it, given how people love to bash the game.

I played it in summer of '07.

It's not bad on its own, just overly simplistic but it is all the things you said.  It just gets crushed by Paper Mario and its sequel 10x over.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#12 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
It's not a bad game, but it's definitely the black sheep of the series.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#13 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

It's not a bad game, but it's definitely the black sheep of the series. JustPlainLucas

I think the black sheep title just passed on the Sticker Star a few months ago. :P

But yeah, it does not play like any of the games you mentioned, even if it has some elements that are borrowed from both. It can't really be compared to any Mario game out there, it is quite unique and often inventive. It has a lot of text to go through, and the gameplay is not as good as that of the first two Paper Mario games, but it is a solid title with nice moments.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
It's a good game and worth buying. Better than Sticker Star.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#15 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"]It's not a bad game, but it's definitely the black sheep of the series. Pierst179

I think the black sheep title just passed on the Sticker Star a few months ago. :P

But yeah, it does not play like any of the games you mentioned, even if it has some elements that are borrowed from both. It can't really be compared to any Mario game out there, it is quite unique and often inventive. It has a lot of text to go through, and the gameplay is not as good as that of the first two Paper Mario games, but it is a solid title with nice moments.

Naw, at least Sticker Star actually returned to its RPG roots....sorta.... It's level design was stellar, though, unlike that one level in Super Paper Mario where it was a long walk into nothing.
Empty_World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Empty_World
Member since 2007 • 272 Posts
It's not the same as other Mario games. But then everyone is telling you that already.:P
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#17 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Naw, at least Sticker Star actually returned to its RPG roots....sorta.... It's level design was stellar, though, unlike that one level in Super Paper Mario where it was a long walk into nothing.JustPlainLucas

Fair enough. :)

I will stick with Super Paper Mario, though. The fact that the battles in Sticker Star had no point whatsoever made the game extremely boring to me.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
For $20 it's insane not to at least try it.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

It's a good game. It's biggest issue is that it's way too damn easy. Paper Mario 64 and Thousand Year door are still better games.

I'd say SPM is better than Paper Mario: Sticker Star though.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#20 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
I loved the game. If I would compare it to any mario game it would be SMB2. Both games are weird in their own way and both games have the different characters with different platforming abilities. The different characters have a lot of different platforming abilities in a very similar way.
josephl64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 josephl64
Member since 2008 • 4424 Posts

Super Paper Mario is good, but not as great as the prior 2, however definitly better than the abysmal Paper Mario Sticker Star. As for what it's like, the others have got it down pretty much

farthoasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 farthoasd
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
SWEET! I just got a free Nintendo Wii card code at freewiipointsforever{dot}com - See more at: http://freewiipointsforever.com/#sthash.cjSobkCy.xf5qbljr.dpuf
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#23 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

One thing that got me about the game was how shockingly similar the overall plot was to Stephen King's the Dark Tower... Not saying there was plagirism or anything but there were A LOT of similarities.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BrunoBRS

One thing that got me about the game was how shockingly similar the overall plot was to Stephen King's the Dark Tower... Not saying there was plagirism or anything but there were A LOT of similarities.

turtlethetaffer
it's not like the plot is particularly out there.