Super Mario 3D World Comic-Con 2013 Impression

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by Outatomomega (5 posts) -

Nintendo had a large exhibition at this year’s Comic-Con. Showing newly released and upcoming titles for the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. I was able to play several of their titles and I was impressed, enough to put serious consideration into purchasing a Wii U. The first game I was able to was Super Mario 3D World, the first full-blown Mario title for the Nintendo Wii U.

The game had four stages to choose from, each increasing in difficultly. But before you started to play you must choose one of the four playable characters that include Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad. Each one has specific abilities with Mario being balanced, Luigi with increase jumping abilities, Peach’s ability to float in mid-air for a few seconds, and Toad’s increased speed. After each stage the player’s overall score is totaled and ranked with the opposing players.

This may encouraging you to be competitive but to navigate throughout Super Mario 3D World you’ll need to cooperate. Each level required players to work together to gather hidden green stars and past challenging platforming objectives. In fact this is forced, those who stray from the screen are trapped in a bubble and teleported to the lead player. I become increasingly annoyed when my allies would attempt to rush through the next area and die while I remained helpless within a orb.

This doesn’t mean that Mario’s latest adventure is upsetting, it’s quite entertaining with a good team. Whether it’s passing through the beginning level, attempting to avoid enemies within clear tubes, or facing against a giant worm boss the controls were solid. Each of the four stages were crafted using classic Mario setting such as green grasslands, cloudy tubed fill worlds, and sandy roads. The biggest change is the addition of a new powerup that transforms your avatar into a cat, granting you increase speed, the ability to climb up walls, a claw attack, and dive attack.

Super Mario 3D World was a delightful game. Although it didn’t it do anything groundbreaking I had a lot of fun completing missions with strangers. Each character had precise control and their special abilities changed how I choose to tackle each level. The cat suit was an entertaining addition and the stages maintain that unique Mario presentation. If you love Mario than you won’t be disappointed with Super Mario 3D World.