Sonic Boom 3DS is a sega genesis 2d platformer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

much different than the wiiu version...and you can switch characters at any point in the game.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#2 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I don't like how the camera is constantly panning left and right and doesn't keep Sonic in the same place. I won't be getting this. Generations is terrible on 3DS and the gameplay footage here doesn't convince me that this new game is going to be any better.

ail_taco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -2

#3  Edited By ail_taco
Member since 2008 • 137 Posts

sonic colors was my last sonic game

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

THANK GOD!!! 0:14 was the greatest thing that could be said about a new sonic game:

"This time around, the levels were actually built to be explored, not just keep moving forward"

That is one of the main reasons Sonic games have been going downhill. There has been borderline No Focus on the actual PLATFORMING aspect of it, just go fast and hold the forward button.

I honestly want this version now just because they are focusing on the one thing that made sonic games hold up with Mario's, Platforming (Like the 4 genesis versions - the best in the series still) moreso than Speeding through the level mindlessly (Like Generations, Day stages on Unleashed, etc newer sonic titles).

It seems like they finally realized that in order to make good sonic games, the focus needs to be more on the Platforming aspect than the Speed aspect. I hope this game does very well now and I may buy both versions just to support the main focus on platforming in Sonic.

On another note though, there are some things that are off putting in this game:

- No flipping during a jump, only a double jump - this actually annoys some people that they dont flip when they jump.

- Only lose a portion of the rings when you are hit instead of the traditional you get hit, lose all your rings. - This will make this too easy honestly. Dumbing the game down is not good.

- Sonic's feet do not run in circles on this - This does annoy people as well.

- Knuckles apparently cant climb walls, only burrow now? (Not 100% sure on this).

Other than that, it seems like a solid title.

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

side scrolling sonic doesn't work, you literally cannot see where you're going.

In this game the camera is way too zoomed in on Sonic. The game should have been on Vita at least so there would have been a wider view.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@final_lap said:

In this game the camera is way too zoomed in on Sonic. The game should have been on Vita at least so there would have been a wider view.

You've never played the originals (best in the series) if you think that, however I do agree that the camera does seem to be zoomed in too much on this.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@final_lap said:

it would have been the same on vita...the screen is the same size as the xl.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

@final_lap: You figure out the level when exploring. All sonic games you have to kinda know the level first before you can do what you want.

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

@KBFloYd: @juboner: "you have to kinda know the level first" well no duh. That's the problem. You have to learn the level layout, but by the time you've explored a level you're already onto the next level. Its a broken game. By comparison take a look at 2 Fast 4 Gnomes. Free demo on 3DS eshop. That is an example of trial and error gameplay done correctly. See also MotoHeroz for WiiWare, iOS, and android. Its very similar to Sonic, it even has loops. Getting to the end of a level is not the problem, your goal is to do it quickly. Of course you don't get it on the first try. You keep practicing until you beat a certain time, which unlocks the next level. Whereas in Sonic most of what you do doesn't matter. It usually doesn't matter whether you go slow or fast. You can go as slow as Mario and you still win. Or you can go fast and stumble into every single obstacle in the level (except bottomless pits) wiithout any consequence, and still win.

Vita screen resolution is much higher than 3DS. For that matter, even PSP's screen resolution is higher than 3DS if you turn off 3D.

400 x 240 (3DS)

480 x 272 (PSP)

960 x 544 (Vita)

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

@final_lap: I didnt watch the video, game must be really bad then. Watched it I see what you mean, maybe they will fix the camera unless the game is pretty much done.