So Swapnote is gone now...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by thetravman (3510 posts) -

Apparently, Nintendo claims people were abusing the software and sending inapropriate messages. Only streetpass notes can be sent.

I seriously hope Nintendo's excuse is bogus and they provide an alternative and hopefully better messaging system. Is miiverse finally making its way to 3DS with similiar messaging as the WiiU? This event was so sudden.I'm just trying to make sense of it.

#2 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4609 posts) -

Nintendo has abruptly shut down the SpotPass functionality for Swapnote on 3DS, noting that players were "exchanging their friend codes on Internet bulletin boards" and then using SwapNote to "exchange offensive material." SpotPass allowed players to exchange photos directly with others using the app.
-Joystiq

Oh... I completely forgot we could share photos... Yeah, I can see how this would have been an issue.

This is why we can't have nice things.

#3 Edited by trugs26 (5125 posts) -

People actually use that app? I thought it was tedious and a bad implementation of messaging. Here's hoping they replace it with a better system.

#4 Edited by moltenix (2483 posts) -

Oh what, now how am I gonna "chat" with friends? =(

Internet buddies aren't all up to no good Nintendo...

#5 Posted by JordanElek (17699 posts) -

3DS will get Miiverse at some point. Nintendo has a way to monitor everything on Miiverse, so this kind of thing won't be as much of an issue.

I can respect Nintendo for responding this way, but it made me laugh to see the notification on my 3DS. It really took them this long to realize kids would do inappropriate things? One kid's mom finally caught him looking at a random naked person on his 3DS and emailed Nintendo and Nintendo said "OMG I HAD NO IDEA KIDS WOULD DO THIS" and pulled the plug immediately.

#6 Posted by Ovirew (6246 posts) -

Well, at least the 3DS had a messaging system for a while, anyway? XD

I'm not really familiar with Miiverse as I don't own a Wii-U. Could someone describe to me what the messaging system is like there?

#7 Posted by JordanElek (17699 posts) -

@Ovirew said:

I'm not really familiar with Miiverse as I don't own a Wii-U. Could someone describe to me what the messaging system is like there?

You can send a private message to anyone on your friends list directly. You can attach a screenshot, draw a picture, or just type text. The Miiverse icon on the home menu animates when you have a new message, and it can be accessed at any time by pressing the home button. Going into Miiverse doesn't exit the game you're playing (the game stays in a state of suspension).

And if you want to put a message out there for anyone, you can post straight to your Activity Feed and any of your friends or anyone following you can see it. That feed is basically Twitter.

Swapnote is basically useless when compared to Miiverse. And I'm guessing Nintendo had no way of seeing Swapnote messages, but they have a full moderation system in place for Miiverse. There isn't a way to post real photos on Miiverse, either, I don't think.

#8 Posted by Jaysonguy (37419 posts) -

Had nothing to do with images, Nintendo throws that out so no one will question their backwards ways.

It's because people were getting their user ID's out into the public.

#9 Posted by JordanElek (17699 posts) -

Had nothing to do with images, Nintendo throws that out so no one will question their backwards ways.

Ok, what's your logic there? People are going to know other people's IDs and.... look at them? They did mention that in the announcement, but it was only in service of sending inappropriate images to each other, nothing more. You can't really do anything with someone else's ID on the 3DS.

#10 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16442 posts) -

I barely gave a shit about it to begin with.

#11 Posted by thetravman (3510 posts) -

@Ovirew said:

You can send a private message to anyone on your friends list directly. You can attach a screenshot, draw a picture, or just type text. The Miiverse icon on the home menu animates when you have a new message, and it can be accessed at any time by pressing the home button. Going into Miiverse doesn't exit the game you're playing (the game stays in a state of suspension).

And if you want to put a message out there for anyone, you can post straight to your Activity Feed and any of your friends or anyone following you can see it. That feed is basically Twitter.

Swapnote is basically useless when compared to Miiverse. And I'm guessing Nintendo had no way of seeing Swapnote messages, but they have a full moderation system in place for Miiverse. There isn't a way to post real photos on Miiverse, either, I don't think.

Miiverse private messaging is clunky. It takes a while to load Miiverse while in-game and it's hard to notice the notifications when you receive one. Still, if 3DS can get a Miiverse tab that players can access while in-game, it would still be a step up from Swapnote.

#12 Edited by MAILER_DAEMON (45906 posts) -

Man... I really liked this feature, especially with friends from across the country.

#13 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (10893 posts) -

People are also putting their NN/Miiverse IDs out there too. Those are still active.

#14 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

Miiverse on 3DS will make everyone forget about Swapnote and it'll allow Nintendo to moderate posts, so, no biggie.

#15 Edited by Kenny789 (10161 posts) -

It was good while it lasted...although it wasn't very good to begin with :P I just got flooded by my friends and got annoyed lol.

#16 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1253 posts) -

@haziqonfire: Except its the admins that moderate the Miiverse, not Nintendo themselves. The Admins are a group of individuals hired by Nintendo.

#17 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (10893 posts) -

@haziqonfire: Except its the admins that moderate the Miiverse, not Nintendo themselves. The Admins are a group of individuals hired by Nintendo.

Of course they're admins, but they work for Nintendo so technically they are Nintendo. Nintendo surely set up guidelines to posting and moderating.

#18 Posted by Tylendal (14680 posts) -

I know I'm quite angry about it. Swapnote was the main reason I bought my mom a 3DS.