So It's Already Set? Nintendo's Online Service Outdated At Launch?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

The Wii's online service was.......lacking.

With the Wii U it was thought that Nintendo would have to beef up it's online presence.

Instead we find out this fact.

Ingame chat will only work with SOME of it's controllers.

For users who want to use the Pro Controller you'll be unable to connect a headset to it at all.

What you'll have to do is hook your headset to the pad controller and then use that for voice chat while you use the Pro Controller.

Besides the inconvenience of being tethered to the pad controller users will also have a 3 hour limit on their gameplay because then the pad will need to be recharged.

This kills Nintendo's online service from the start. The idea of having to use two controllers to have something as simple as voice chat is unacceptable.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Eh. What I think that's unacceptable is that the GamePad lasts a mere 3 hours. It's ridiculous.
Flappykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Flappykid
Member since 2012 • 161 Posts
Nintendo showing their cynical "buy every peripheral possible in order to get a basic experience" side again.
Flappykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Flappykid
Send them a message by NOT BUYING THEIR CONSOLE. They only do this because they know they can cash in easy.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#6 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Nintendo doesn't have a grasp of anything online, still.

I expect the WiiU will be a lot like the Wii; tremendous potential that won't be fully realized and many of the games will be gimmicky. The system will dominate the market again just like the Wii, until MS and Sony release their machines and take over. I hope I'm wrong because I like Nintendo.

Flappykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Flappykid

Nintendo doesn't have a grasp of anything online, still.

I expect the WiiU will be a lot like the Wii; tremendous potential that won't be fully realized and many of the games will be gimmicky. The system will dominate the market again just like the Wii, until MS and Sony release their machines and take over. I hope I'm wrong because I like Nintendo.

Blueresident87
How can you like Nintendo after their cynical effort with the Wii?
Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

Ummm....Theres still Miiverse and video chat.... Miiverse will allow you to communicate to strangers and your friends when playing any game. Sadly at this point in time it does not feature cross game chat which is pretty much the only thing that still make XBL better then everyone else.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jaysonguy

*%, you of course had to bring your ranting in here didn't you?

Now it's up to me to show you how wrong you are and in turn defend the console and then people are going to be like "oh what's the matter why are you doing that? You LIKE Nintendo now?"

So in advance thank you for annoying me

Nintendo showing their cynical "buy every peripheral possible in order to get a basic experience" side again.Flappykid

Considering the &%^$#@* consoles COMES WITH THE GAMEPAD what are people buying extra for the basic experience?

Flappykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Flappykid
Nintendo are making people buy the non-gimmick controller separately. the pizzabox controller isn't a peripheral, (but will no doubt require some sort of minimapdisplay+ add on in the future), so I wasn't necessarily referring to that. Stop trying to derail the conversation. I'm allowed to post my opinion where I like.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

For those of us who don't use voice chat and don't care about the Pro Controller since it's exactly the same as the gamepad, I'd rather have these be optional peripherals.

And plugging the headset into the gamepad instead of the Pro reduces the cost of the Pro and also isn't a game breaker... Just set the gamepad beside you when you play with the Pro, OR... just use the gamepad when you use voice chat. The button configuration is exactly the same....

"Always on" voice chat should be a standard feature by now, though. I don't care about it, but I can understand why a lot of people do.

Edit: Oh yeah, and there will be a wireless headset, I guarantee it, which completely eliminates the problem. But *GASP*, you'll have to pay for it.

Flappykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Flappykid

For those of us who don't use voice chat and don't care about the Pro Controller since it's exactly the same as the gamepad, I'd rather have these be optional peripherals.

And plugging the headset into the gamepad instead of the Pro reduces the cost of the Pro and also isn't a game breaker... Just set the gamepad beside you when you play with the Pro, OR... just use the gamepad when you use voice chat. The button configuration is exactly the same....

"Always on" voice chat should be a standard feature by now, though. I don't care about it, but I can understand why a lot of people do.

JordanElek
Tell me, does the Wii U come with a headset? And believe me, unless the WiiU's library turns out to be complete shovelware (which it may well do), the "pro" controller will be anything but a peripheral.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jaysonguy

Edit: Oh yeah, and there will be a wireless headset, I guarantee it, which completely eliminates the problem. But *GASP*, you'll have to pay for it.

JordanElek

Wireless as in connects to the console or wireless that connects to the pad?

If it only connects to the pad then we're still stuck with a 3 hour timer counting down from the start of the gaming session

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

Jaysonguy

If it only connects to the pad then we're still stuck with a 3 hour timer counting down from the start of the gaming session

Forgive me if I'm being ignorant, but couldn't you hypothetically have the Gamepad hooked up to the console for charging AND have the headset plugged in as well? Or do they share the same hookup?

Yes, it's obviously not ideal since I assume the charging cable won't reach far, but it's still an option. If they don't share the same hook up that is.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

yokofox33

Forgive me if I'm being ignorant, but couldn't you hypothetically have the Gamepad hooked up to the console for charging AND have the headset plugged in as well? Or do they share the same hookup?

Yes, it's obviously not ideal since I assume the charging cable won't reach far, but it's still an option. If they don't share the same hook up that is.

1. Do not know

2. That's keeping you pretty close to the console the entire time you play

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

[QUOTE="yokofox33"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

1. Do not know

Well yes, I realize it's not ideal or if it's even possible depending on the setup of your console. Just a thought is all.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#17 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

Jaysonguy

Here's something from the article

"Wii U will have in-game chat functionality for select games, including, but not limited to, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, Assassins Creed III and Mass Effect 3. This feature will be supported by licensed stereo headsets that plug directly into the headphone port of the Game Pad. Licensed headsets are available from Turtle Beach and TRITTON."

Article

They're being made to plug into the Wii U Gamepad.

*withdraws rest of post*

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="yokofox33"]

yokofox33

1. Do not know

Well yes, I realize it's not ideal or if it's even possible depending on the setup of your console. Just a thought is all.

Yeah, I was thinking of that as well.

I would bet that you'll be able to play and charge the pad controller at the same time, for some people that would work but still, that's a lot of wires to have to contend with.

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

Can you charge and plug in the headset at the same time? That does seem overly complicated, but it won't be too much of a problem for me. I have a plug-in right beside my bed. Anyway, why can't we use the built-in microphone?

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
I don't know why there just wasn't Bluetooth in the console from the beginning. Bluetooth adapters are cheap now and could easily be used for this. I have a Bluetooth headset that is both Wired and Wireless that I use for my PS3 and it works great. I think they should send out USB Bluetooth adapters to each console and start packaging them with all the new shipments so this small issue will be rectified.

Also I don't understand why the Built In Microphone can't be used for this.
thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

I don't know why there just wasn't Bluetooth in the console from the beginning. Bluetooth adapters are cheap now and could easily be used for this. I have a Bluetooth headset that is both Wired and Wireless that I use for my PS3 and it works great. I think they should send out USB Bluetooth adapters to each console and start packaging them with all the new shipments so this small issue will be rectified.

Also I don't understand why the Built In Microphone can't be used for this.nini200

According to Kotaku, the WiiU does support bluetooth. Apparently its functionality is limited for the time being. It's likely wireless headsets will be available at some point.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
Has anyone seen any new nintendo branded headsets? The only ones I see from turtle beach and very plain and looks like crap somepared to the xbox and PS3 headsets. :( I hope they come out with much nicer models.
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

[QUOTE="nini200"]I don't know why there just wasn't Bluetooth in the console from the beginning. Bluetooth adapters are cheap now and could easily be used for this. I have a Bluetooth headset that is both Wired and Wireless that I use for my PS3 and it works great. I think they should send out USB Bluetooth adapters to each console and start packaging them with all the new shipments so this small issue will be rectified.

Also I don't understand why the Built In Microphone can't be used for this.thetravman

According to Kotaku, the WiiU does support bluetooth. Apparently its functionality is limited for the time being. It's likely wireless headsets will be available at some point.

Of course the Wii U supports bluetooth. The Wii used bluetooth for it's remotes and the Wii U uses the same thing for Wii remotes again, and most likely everything else. The only reason the Wii U doesn't use bluetooth headsets is because Nintendo for some reason doesn't want to enable it. I personally don't really care about headset support but it is troubling, although not really surprising. We should all be used to this by now.
blueydwlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blueydwlf
Member since 2007 • 385 Posts

Its the peripheral manufacturers responsibility to release wireless headsets. If and when they do you plug it in to the gamepad and set the pad on its charging dock (which comes with the console and will no doubt be near the console) Then wear the headset and use the Pro controller to your heart's content. Not the end of the world and has no bearing on Nintendo's online strategy. Furthermore most shortcomings in this area can be corrected with software updates.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#25 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Oh s*** everyone cancel your preorders. :roll:
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#26 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

i dont see where your coming at , the wii u' online is going to be better then wiis by a long shot

more features yes voice chat is up to developers like it has been but -- who cares as long as the game has online id shut up and enjoy it its not costing you a dime

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Annoying? Yes. Worst thing ever? No. I get why core gamers would be annoyed by this but honestly it's not that big of a deal. It does however seem like an oversight on Nintendo's part, considering they want to go after the core gamer - to not include a headphone jack. That being said, they might just have a wireless headset which eliminates the issue all together.
rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts
Ugh... why are they so annoying.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
online chat? meh... no deal breaker at all
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

Game pad required for voice chat=entire online infrastructure ruined.

:|

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rod90
The answer is, yet again, the Wii Speak accessory.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
If Jaysonguy thinks so then it will be the best online ever. :)
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
Has anyone seen any new nintendo branded headsets? The only ones I see from turtle beach and very plain and looks like crap somepared to the xbox and PS3 headsets. :( I hope they come out with much nicer models. AutoPilotOn
Turtle Beach is such a rip off I feel bad for anyone who buys their products. Gaming headsets in general aren't worth the money and you're better off just getting the minimum headset you can get for the console and buying real headphones for everyday use.
Flappykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Flappykid
The answer is, yet again, the Wii Speak accessory.Rod90
I wonder how much extra that'll cost and how many times it'll need to be updated? Typical Nintendo.
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

With the Wii U it was thought that Nintendo would have to beef up it's online presence.

For users who want to use the Pro Controller you'll be unable to connect a headset to it at all.

What you'll have to do is hook your headset to the pad controller and then use that for voice chat while you use the Pro Controller.

Besides the inconvenience of being tethered to the pad controller users will also have a 3 hour limit on their gameplay because then the pad will need to be recharged.

This kills Nintendo's online service from the start. The idea of having to use two controllers to have something as simple as voice chat is unacceptable.

Jaysonguy

That's a pretty bad oversight, eek..avoiding the 1st version of Pro Controller. :P

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
[QUOTE="Rod90"]The answer is, yet again, the Wii Speak accessory.Flappykid
I wonder how much extra that'll cost and how many times it'll need to be updated? Typical Nintendo.

Why would the accessory need to be updated? :|
KnightSkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KnightSkull
Member since 2011 • 1481 Posts

[QUOTE="Flappykid"][QUOTE="Rod90"]The answer is, yet again, the Wii Speak accessory.bbkkristian

Why would the accessory need to be updated? :|

Just ignore him. He's a troll that has came here to do nothing but slam Nintendo and insult anyone who likes Nintendo.

I wont be surprised if he tries to insult me for saying this.

On topic: I don't care much for voice chat as it is but I can see why this would annoy the people that do care for it.

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts
it'll go wireless eventually. this is NEW hardware and there are still bugs to be worked out. like the wii motion plus update. I also remember the xbox360 and the PS3 needing a few revisions to stop sucking ass when they were first released
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Rod90
[QUOTE="Rod90"]The answer is, yet again, the Wii Speak accessory.Flappykid

It's already out, and it costs around $20.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Another pointless topic, trying to make it sound like its a much bigger deal than it is. If the Pro Controller had a slot for a Mic, would you still not be tethered to a controller. Even if the Wii U gamepad itself was the mic as expected, you would still be tethered to the controller. The only issue in this whole thing is the fact that the Gamepad which has a mic built in and was shown to be capable of video chat is not the standard mic. It was fine for the PS3 and to an extent the 360(because of the low quality pack in) to need another device. But for the Wii U you shouldn't need any separate headset, however that has zero bearing on online functionality.
Blazed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Blazed
Member since 2005 • 2947 Posts

Ummm are you sure? That sounds pretty stupid.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

good...

now i dont have to mute all the douchebags in every game i play..

screw voice chat.

besides...people that like to be a-holes can buy a wireless headset or they can use the game pad with a wired mic...and buy games that support it.. i don't see a big issue here. i'm sure smash bros and mario kart will have chat and thats all that matters.

only people upset about this are the annoying mic warriors online.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jaysonguy

Ummm are you sure? That sounds pretty stupid.

Blazed

Yes I'm sure and yes that does sound pretty stupid.

Anyone who doesn't think it's stupid either doesn't understand or doesn't want Nintendo to succeed.

You'll have people who don't care about Nintendo having a robust voice chat experience, those people want Nintendo to fail this generation and I don't quite understand why they're talking in this forum. :|

Sonicplys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sonicplys
Member since 2004 • 2602 Posts

good thing i really could care less about online crap. That mean complete games that actually justifies the full price.

ekalbtwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ekalbtwin
Member since 2007 • 1044 Posts

good...

now i dont have to mute all the douchebags in every game i play..

screw voice chat.

besides...people that like to be a-holes can buy a wireless headset or they can use the game pad with a wired mic...and buy games that support it.. i don't see a big issue here. i'm sure smash bros and mario kart will have chat and thats all that matters.

only people upset about this are the annoying mic warriors online.

KBFloYd

So true. I pretty much play almost all my online games on mute as I can only take drunk higher education drop outs and ten year old punks find new way to insult everyone for a minute or two on the best of days, seconds on the worst.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jaysonguy

good thing i really could care less about online crap. That mean complete games that actually justifies the full price.

Sonicplys

Is there a particular reason you want Nintendo's new console to fail?

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

Sonicplys
ALOT of people do play online. I really dont understand the "I dont use it so I dont care" attitude around here. Online and voice chat and messaging are popular. If its not there its gonna cost peoples interest and 3rd party support to hurt like it has with the Wii.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Has anyone seen any new nintendo branded headsets? The only ones I see from turtle beach and very plain and looks like crap somepared to the xbox and PS3 headsets. :( I hope they come out with much nicer models. AutoPilotOn
PDP announced that their Afterglow Headset works on the Wii U.

PDP resonds to Nintendo's Wireless Online Chat

"Afterglow wireless headsets are compatible with Wii U. If the game chat utilizes the USB port of the Wii U console then the AG headset can receive the chat audio wirelessly. If the chat audio is directed through the 3.5mm audio jack on the Wii U pad then user can plug in the provided chat/game audio cable. It depends on how the game / chat audio is designed." - PDP rep

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"]Has anyone seen any new nintendo branded headsets? The only ones I see from turtle beach and very plain and looks like crap somepared to the xbox and PS3 headsets. :( I hope they come out with much nicer models. Nintendo_Ownes7

PDP announced that their Afterglow Headset works on the Wii U.

PDP resonds to Nintendo's Wireless Online Chat

"Afterglow wireless headsets are compatible with Wii U. If the game chat utilizes the USB port of the Wii U console then the AG headset can receive the chat audio wirelessly. If the chat audio is directed through the 3.5mm audio jack on the Wii U pad then user can plug in the provided chat/game audio cable. It depends on how the game / chat audio is designed." - PDP rep

In other words nothing

1. Nintendo hasn't said that voice chat can be run through the USB.

2. If it's through the gamepad you have a 3 hour timer until you have to stop playing.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Jaysonguy
JaysonGuy, why do you even make these topics? GameSpot provides you with a blog, you know. 1. Leave the Game Pad charging while using the headset 2. There are already wireless headsets for the console. please do research and come up with a better way to troll. 3. Oh boo hoo people have to use the CONTROLLER THE SYSTEM WAS DESIGNED AROUND to chat online. 4. Who says the Wii U Game Pad's mic isn't usable in future games or launch online games via software updates? If that happens, you look like you're jumping the gun way too much.