So I just bought a Wii U

#1 Posted by HadOne2Many (1279 posts) -

Mainly for my kids and Mario Kart, but I am a gamer who hasn't owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube (except handhelds) . What must play games should I check out?

Also, other than Mario of course, what games would be good for a 6 year old boy? He is just learning to read so Zelda and Pokemon may be to advanced, but he loves playing Lego games on the 360 and Racing games too.

#2 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7623 posts) -

If you like survival horror, I would give Zombi U a try. I like how the game is rogue-like and getting bit seals your fate. Super Mario 3D World is also my favorite of all the Mario games. It takes the 2D Mario formula and puts it into a 3D environment. The game starts out easy, and stays easy enough that your kids will be able to get to the end credits with some challenge. Then the game gets pretty hard and will challenge seasoned gamers. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is a great game, but if you already have it on the 3DS it probably isn't worth picking up again. Lego City, like all of the other lego games, is fun if you like the humor. It will fall flat if you are looking for a GTA equivalent, though.

#3 Edited by spike6958 (4941 posts) -

The best titles for you to look into probably are:

• Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
  • LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
  • LEGO City Undercover
  • LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
  • LEGO The Hobbit
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
  • New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U
  • Nintendo Land
  • Pikmin 3
  • Rayman Legends
  • Skylanders*
  • Sonic Lost World
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

These are all titles that your son can either play alone, with you, or watch you play.

*Skylanders is one you should really think about before you buy into it, there are currently 4 games in the series (Spyro's Adventure, Giants, Swap Force and Trap Team), and each game comes with 3 figures which unlocks those characters to play as in the game, but the rest of the characters require you to buy there figure separately to the main game, so starting this might lead to your kid to want to collect them all and there's around 250 of them if you include the rare event figures, which cost a fortune.

#4 Posted by HadOne2Many (1279 posts) -

Thank you both for your suggestions.

#5 Posted by PopeAnonymousXV (76 posts) -

You said you haven't had a Nintendo since the Gamecube, are you open to suggestions on Wii games as well? The Wii U is a fully functional Wii as well, after all.

#6 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7623 posts) -
@popeanonymousxv said:

You said you haven't had a Nintendo since the Gamecube, are you open to suggestions on Wii games as well? The Wii U is a fully functional Wii as well, after all.

Yes, this is a great point. I would highly recommend The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and the 2 Super Mario Galaxy games.

#7 Posted by HadOne2Many (1279 posts) -

Yeah I'm open to Wii games too as long as they aren't made redundant by a newer game.

#8 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2706 posts) -

@HadOne2Many: Remember to register Mario Kart with Club Nintendo (there's a pamphlet inside the case). You get a free download of your choice of: New Super Mario Bros, Pikmin 3, Zelda Wind Waker, or Wii Party U. Easy way to save 60$ if you were going to buy Mario Kart anyway.

#9 Posted by TTUalumni13 (650 posts) -

For Wii games, check out stuff like Xenoblade, the Super Mario Galaxies, and Metroid Prime Trilogy. All amazing games and definitely worth the money.

#10 Posted by HadOne2Many (1279 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: Thanks I didn't have a clue about that. New Super Mario Bros U is in the bundle I got so it will be either Pikmin or Zelda. I already played that Zelda game on the DS a few years back but maybe my son can play it with my help.

#11 Posted by Sphensen (788 posts) -

get NitendoLand, it is serious family fun, especially mario chase. everytime I played that the whole group ends up laughing profusely

#12 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2706 posts) -
@HadOne2Many said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: Thanks I didn't have a clue about that. New Super Mario Bros U is in the bundle I got so it will be either Pikmin or Zelda. I already played that Zelda game on the DS a few years back but maybe my son can play it with my help.

The DS games were actually sequels to Wind Waker. Wind Waker is pretty outstanding.

Just go to Clubnintendo.com and do the standard create a user name, then register the code, and you'll get your pick of a free game.

#13 Posted by ZyroXZ2 (73 posts) -

I see some glaring omissions from suggestions so far:

THE WONDERFUL 101

I hate seeing a list of Wii U games people should try that are missing that one, lol

#14 Posted by Mercenary848 (9106 posts) -

I will prbably get one for my birthday in october which will be good because there will be games I want. I also have been saving to buy a PS4 around then

#15 Posted by HadOne2Many (1279 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:
@HadOne2Many said:

The DS games were actually sequels to Wind Waker. Wind Waker is pretty outstanding.

Just go to Clubnintendo.com and do the standard create a user name, then register the code, and you'll get your pick of a free game.

You're right, not sure why I was thinking I played that game on the DS...I did play it on the Game Cube though. I recall it being pretty excellent so maybe it's time for me to pick it up again (and HD is nice).