So how 'bout that VGX?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

#1 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Can't say I'm any less hyped for Donkey Kong:TF, but I feel Nintendo wasted an opportunity. Then again, the whole show seemed underwhelming. Your thoughts?

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 RealJaysonguy
Member since 2013 • 236 Posts

I think Nintendo's staying true to focusing on what' coming out now, rather than getting people overly excited about what's happening in the distant future. Also, coming off the gaming drought they saw at the beginning of this year, I think their goal was to remind Wii U owners that the beginning of this year wasn't going to be the same as the last.

It would have been great to see the new Zelda, but that's never been Nintendo's way of thinking.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I've never watched the VGAs but had nothing to do tonight so I tuned in. I expected nothing special from Nintendo and that's what we got. DKC looks great, but Nintendo should've just said "hey we're showing DKC" to keep everyone from being disappointed. And Reggie downplayed his Samus pin, but that had to be deliberate. If he was only wearing it because it was on his desk and he figured his Retro companion would appreciate it, then he's bad at his job.

As for the show itself, it was one of the worst productions I've ever seen. I think it would look really awesome on paper if you just lined up the trailers and guest interviews and demos, but the actual product was horrible. If they would've just played it straight with Keighley as the sole host, like in their e3 coverage, it would've been a much better show. They also needed to write a better script. It seemed like they wrote it for a live audience but it was a mostly empty room. Fix those things and it would've been really cool to watch.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Nintendo only announced that Reggie will be at VGX to talk more about a game that was already announced.

Spike and Geoff overhyped it for fans which lead some fans to be disappointed.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Oh goodness, he's really using this RealJaysonGuy profile Lol

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RealJaysonguy
Member since 2013 • 236 Posts

@nini200: It's time the other half of me comes out to play. I like to be positive sometimes too, but the Jaysonguy brand doesn't allow it. This is how I let out all the happy feelings I have without damaging my name.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

@realjaysonguy: Lol, I'm not gonna lie, thats kinda awesome!

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

i find it kind of mind blowing that people still watch the now-ridiculously-named VGX (hahahaha *ahem* sorry). every single year it's the same thing. people sit through the whole thing and come out hating it. just look for a news compilation the next day and see if anything catches your eye.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

@BrunoBRS: This year showed potential, though. Most of the planned stuff was actually good content, like live demos for good games and interviews with the developers. If they stick with this format but actually put some time into organization and preparation, it would be worth watching. My impression of the old format is that it was almost entirely worthless.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

This year was my first time watching the VGAs (I mean... VGX) and I was horribly disappointed. Nintendo's Tropical Freeze announcement was the least of my disappointment because I kind of expected it. Reggie teased his appearance while talking about Tropical Freeze with GameTrailers. The rest of the show was a train wreck. It was boring and awkward to watch. The two hosts were unprepared and were telling really bad jokes, it was painful to hear two people clap after every world premier trailer, the Youtube stuff were really unnecessary, they heavily relied on the GTA concert and by the looks of the audience's faces, many of them were not fans of rap. To think this was their 10th anniversary.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

They need to go back to prior years' format where it was an actual award show with an audience and stage. If this was suppose to be a celebration of video games, then it was a really bad one. Yeah, let's give out awards and have one person clap for the winner... Let's host it in an empty warehouse, lets have long meandering segments of nothing but having the co-hosts talk over each other.

This award show has been delegated to the internet now, so it's even less prestigious than what it had been past years (not saying that it was good in past years, but I think this one was an all time low).

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Donkey kong looks fantastic and Cranky kong is a cool addition. Love Cranky kong. DKCR was a work in progress and had tons of problems, tropical freeze fixes all that and looks gorgeous. It's going to be the best sidescrolling platformer ever.

The problem is not Nintendo's announcement's, it's over expecting 24/7 what their announcements are going to be. People thought it could've been Zelda when that turd Skyward sword took 5 years to make?

Even if the next Zelda doesn't disappoint and is incredible, it won't be out any sooner than 2015.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#13 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

@Minishdriveby: To be honest, I was surprised they even bothered to do one this year. Last year's show got the lowest ratings yet which probably explains why they scaled back, did away with the live audience and stage. I mean for so long, most of us have said the only reason to bother watching it was for the game reveals and the rest of it was just a bunch of fluff. (see Angry Joe's rant on VGA past) So it was nice to see them focus on game developers as opposed to trotting out "celebrities" that are just there to plug an upcoming, unrelated show. We tend to forget that just a few years ago we had this "Game of the Year Fueled by Dew" idiocy.

I do think Nintendo fans got way too bent out of shape about the Cranky Kong announcement. I didn't expect a big reveal. They'll wait for E3 for the big Zelda announcement. As for DKCR:TF, I wasn't overly excited at first but much like Mario 3D World, the more I see, the more I want to play it. But I really want to have Cranky rant about how much better things were in the "old days" like he did in DKC.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts
Loading Video...

Kurezan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kurezan
Member since 2008 • 1850 Posts

Me and my friends have made it an annual thing to watch the VGA's together, this was our 4th year(?) doing it. The awards show seems to consistently get worse year by year, and I must say this year was especially disappointing. At this point, it seems like they really don't care about it being an award show anymore, its like a side thing, and they just do everything else. The musical performances at the end were just terrible. Joel Mchale made it somewhat watchable, but otherwise it was a disaster. Not a fan with how Geoff treated everyone else like they were special snowflakes except Reggie, who he harped on. That was pretty uncool in my opinion.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@kbaily said:

@Minishdriveby: To be honest, I was surprised they even bothered to do one this year. Last year's show got the lowest ratings yet which probably explains why they scaled back, did away with the live audience and stage. I mean for so long, most of us have said the only reason to bother watching it was for the game reveals and the rest of it was just a bunch of fluff. (see Angry Joe's rant on VGA past) So it was nice to see them focus on game developers as opposed to trotting out "celebrities" that are just there to plug an upcoming, unrelated show. We tend to forget that just a few years ago we had this "Game of the Year Fueled by Dew" idiocy.

I do think Nintendo fans got way too bent out of shape about the Cranky Kong announcement. I didn't expect a big reveal. They'll wait for E3 for the big Zelda announcement. As for DKCR:TF, I wasn't overly excited at first but much like Mario 3D World, the more I see, the more I want to play it. But I really want to have Cranky rant about how much better things were in the "old days" like he did in DKC.

Good point, they probably should have just cancelled it outright this year. I think part of the reason for Nintendo fans' outrage was because of Geoff's tweets about it being a World Premiere. Honestly, I was hoping for a new Project X trailer. I wasn't expecting any giant franchise to be announced.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Pretty much the same format they are following with Nintendo Direct...just keep showing the games that will be release (everyone already knows) till its release, no surprises. :P

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#18 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

Am I the only one that didn't watch VGA?

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

@wiifan001 said:

Am I the only one that didn't watch VGA?

Nope. I've never bothered to watch the VGAs/VGXs of any sort, as a matter of fact. I've grown to become completely indifferent to what the video game world considers "televised media coverage," especially as someone whose video game interests lean strongly on the Nintendo side of things. Enduring the likes of G4 during the GameCube era isn't something I'm excited about experiencing ever again (and to think that console is in almost revered status in some circles 10 years later, lol).

I'm more surprised Nintendo took the time to do anything with the show. I don't know why, as what they showed really didn't have to potential to make any sort of splash whatsoever. It's almost like Nintendo wanted to be criticized and questioned about the Wii U and pretty everything it does revolving around it by showing up. Combine this with Nintendo forgoing an E3 press conference earlier in the year to make a Nintendo Direct feature, and it only makes Nintendo's decision-making process these day more perplexing.

I think Nintendo should exercise an extreme sense of silence right now when it comes to the Wii U. Everything it announces gets over-hyped, only for the presentation to be just acceptable even with modest expectations. Unless it's a real game-changer, Nintendo would probably be wise not to even bother, and I don't believe that true game-changer's coming anytime soon.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#20  Edited By kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

@Minishdriveby said:

@kbaily said:

Good point, they probably should have just cancelled it outright this year. I think part of the reason for Nintendo fans' outrage was because of Geoff's tweets about it being a World Premiere. Honestly, I was hoping for a new Project X trailer. I wasn't expecting any giant franchise to be announced.

Well Geoff wanted to get any viewers he could. I'm sure Reggie told him, he had a reveal but it was nothing big but Geoff was probably getting hounded by the execs to push this show and get viewers but it does mislead viewers. Also I almost don't blame Reggie for getting a bit angry at the hosts. I mean, look the guy has a hard enough time doing his job when hardware sales are good and he tries his best to stay positive and focus on what he's there to promote and Geoff goes into internet troll mode. That's not professional at all. Actually there's probably a few fans out there that would've liked to see Reggie beat up Geoff and Joel. Might have made the show entertaining.

But I caught bits and pieces online. Joel jokes were pretty lame. It's like it's gone from one huge extreme to another. For 10 years we had this ridiculously glossy show trying to be Spike's answer to the VMAs and now we have this quiet, pre recorded talk show setting that feels kinda cheap. It was nice to see it focus on games and game developers and ditch a lot of the celebrity guests and fluff...fueled by Dew.

But I saw a rant on screwattack where he pointed out that it felt like an extended episode of Attack of the Show.

GerardoExber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#21  Edited By GerardoExber
Member since 2013 • 128 Posts

From the last 2 years I've been watching them but this year I couldn't continue watching after 1 hour and half, I lost my time, It was my first time watching it in live stream and I was so hyped :(

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#22 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I don't really video game award shows. They always end up being massive circle jerks that are poorly put together and not fun to watch.