So can a regular Nintendo DS or 3DS be able to play Gameboy advance games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by slamminjammin69 (1599 posts) -

Never had a regular Nintendo DS handheld so I dunno what the Nintendo DS handheldsd are capable of doing such as whether you can play regular Gameboy advance games on them or not

#2 Posted by dsrules13 (1624 posts) -

A google search could yield you the answer.

The DS phat and DS lite have a GBA slot and can play GBA games, but not original Game Boy or Game Boy Color games.

The DSi and 3DS, and the XL iterations, do not have a GBA slot and can't play GBA cartridges. However, through the eshop on the 3DS original GB games are available to be purchased and there is a future possibility of GBA games being available digitally. There were a certain selection of GBA games distributed to 3DS ambassadors, such as myself, who purchased the system before the price drop.

#3 Posted by slamminjammin69 (1599 posts) -

So a regular Nintendo DS you're able to play Gameboy advance games but you cant play old Gameboy games or even Gameboy color? That's a bit messed up if you ask me.

And why can't a Nintendo 3DS play regular Gameboy advance cartridges anyway?

#4 Posted by dsrules13 (1624 posts) -

So a regular Nintendo DS you're able to play Gameboy advance games but you cant play old Gameboy games or even Gameboy color? That's a bit messed up if you ask me.

slamminjammin69

When the DS was introduced Nintendo did not have confidence in it. They called it their "third pillar". It would stand alongside the GBA and main console. So in order to keep the GBA incorporated, a GBA slot was put in the system. This slot also allowed for peripherals such as the button attachment for Guitar Hero. The slot is not large enough the fit in older cartridges. And its really not necessary, those systems no longer had games released for them and were not part of Nintendo's plan. When the DSi and 3DS were released, the DS was well established as the best selling handheld of all time and now sits behind the PS2 as the second best selling system ever. The GBA games are ushered out and do not need to stand as a 3rd pillar anymore. It was wise of Nintendo to allow backward compatibility of DS games for the 3DS and GBA games for the DS. But GBA games are far outdated not necessary to be backwards compatible. But look at Sony, they don't even go back a generation for this. The Vita can't play PSP UMDs. They are a different format than Vita cards. But GBA cartridges are different from DS ones and the fact that they even included the function to play GBA games speaks well of their dedication to their fans.

#5 Posted by homegirl2180 (7161 posts) -
And why can't a Nintendo 3DS play regular Gameboy advance cartridges anyway?slamminjammin69
Because there's no slot for it, and Nintendo didn't think it worth investing in for whatever reason.
#6 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

DS & DS Lite,yes.

3DS,no.

You should KNOW that,you know....

#7 Posted by MonsieurX (29242 posts) -

slamminjammin69
How is that messed up exactly...? :?
#8 Posted by JuanGrande386 (1111 posts) -

Why dont people use Google? The TC only had to wait 7 mins for a response this time but Ive seen questions not answered for like an hr when a simple Google search wouldve had the answer in 10 seconds.

#9 Posted by dsrules13 (1624 posts) -

Why dont people use Google? The TC only had to wait 7 mins for a response this time but Ive seen questions not answered for like an hr when a simple Google search wouldve had the answer in 10 seconds.

JuanGrande386

Yeah, I told him this. But if I'm gonna write a message, I might as well answer the question.

#10 Posted by slamminjammin69 (1599 posts) -

Well arent Gameboy color games on their bottom the same size as a gameboy advance game? Why cant you play Gameboy color games on a DS? What "limitation" is there anyway?

also what the hell can you do with a DSi? Cant you play any DS games on that thing or what?

#11 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4673 posts) -

Well arent Gameboy color games on their bottom the same size as a gameboy advance game? Why cant you play Gameboy color games on a DS? What "limitation" is there anyway?

also what the hell can you do with a DSi? Cant you play any DS games on that thing or what?

slamminjammin69

They do not fit inside the GBA slot and the DS software operating system was not meant to recognize GB/GBC games.

Yes, you can play DS games on the DSi. Instead of a GBA slot, it has a SD slot, 2 cameras (outer and inner), a faster CPU, and more RAM. The DSi is also the first Nintendo handheld to have an online store.

#12 Posted by slamminjammin69 (1599 posts) -

Well I heard you can't play certain DS games on the DSi or XL.

And another thing is that the DSi/Lite/XL are outdated and they probably wont play the new 3DS games anyway probably

#13 Posted by darkspineslayer (19485 posts) -

Well I heard you can't play certain DS games on the DSi or XL.

And another thing is that the DSi/Lite/XL are outdated and they probably wont play the new 3DS games anyway probably

slamminjammin69
really? The DSi won't play 3DS games? You don't say... I read this post while trying to get my GameCube to read Wii games.
#14 Posted by slamminjammin69 (1599 posts) -

Listen you stupid moron. I never said anything about the DSi not being able to play "3DS" games.

I said that I heard the DSi cant play certain older Nintendo DS games and by the way, the DSi and previous DS games were around long before the newer "3DS" games

#15 Posted by JuanGrande386 (1111 posts) -

hey slamminjammin this isnt rocket science!! But you seem to be having problems with this so let me help!

Gameboy- plays Gameboy games

Gameboy Color- plays Gameboy and Gameboy Color games

GBA/GBASP- plays any type of Gameboy games

DS- plays GBA and DS games

DS Lite- same as DS

DSi- plays DS and DSiware (games from the download shop)

DSiXL- same as DSi

3DS- plays DS, DSiware, Eshop, and 3DS games

3DSXL- same as 3DS

#16 Posted by dsrules13 (1624 posts) -

Listen you stupid moron. I never said anything about the DSi not being able to play "3DS" games.

I said that I heard the DSi cant play certain older Nintendo DS games and by the way, the DSi and previous DS games were around long before the newer "3DS" games

slamminjammin69

Well duh DS games have been around longer. It was released 7 or 8 years before the 3DS, therefore it would be impossible for 3DS games to be released first.

And you did say the DSi "probably wont play the new 3DS games anyway". Exact quote. So don't call him a moron. He is a respected user here and you're some guy that doesn't seem to have a basic understanding of the software DS systems can operate.

It is an older piece of technology not programmed to have 3D functionality and can't handle the updated graphics.

I would recommend you do a couple comprehensive Google searches to learn about the DS systems so you don't sound so dumb.