Smash Bros Producer Says Next Smash Bros "Game System Is Complete"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GameboyTroy (2469 posts) -

Smash Bros producerMasahiro Sakurai has revealed that the game system for Smash Bros for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS is now complete and that the development team isn't looking to add 3D or additional features that will complicate the game just for the sake of it.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/08/07/smash-bros-producer-says-next-smash-bros-game-system-is-complete/

Super Smash Bros. Wii U To Have Different Controller Options

It seems like they plan on releasing this game in 2014.

#2 Posted by thetravman (3540 posts) -

2013 or 2014?...I hope they're not rushing things.

#3 Posted by GameboyTroy (2469 posts) -

thetravman
I'm not sure how long this game has been in development. It would be best for them to take their time making this game.
#4 Posted by spike6958 (4938 posts) -
[QUOTE="thetravman"]

GameboyTroy
I'm not sure how long this game has been in development. It would be best for them to take their time making this game.

Planning for SSB didn't start until after Kid Icarus: Uprising was complete, and seeing as that came out around Feb, it's assumed they started planning the game around that time.
#5 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4865 posts) -

It would be best for them to take their time making this game.GameboyTroy

I agree.

And they better not give us a release date until everything is perfect and works perfectly. Brawl was delayed too many times and the amount of online lag is ridiculous.

#6 Posted by thetravman (3540 posts) -

[QUOTE="GameboyTroy"][QUOTE="thetravman"]

spike6958

Planning for SSB didn't start until after Kid Icarus: Uprising was complete, and seeing as that came out around Feb, it's assumed they started planning the game around that time.

They probably made plans beforehand but development didn't start until KI:U was released which is the end of March.

#7 Posted by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -
I'm pretty sure the article in IGN about this says that SSB4 is going to narrow the character list... :(
#8 Posted by magiciandude (9677 posts) -

I'm pretty sure the article in IGN about this says that SSB4 is going to narrow the character list... :(bbkkristian

He was talking about 3rd party characters.

#9 Posted by spike6958 (4938 posts) -

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]I'm pretty sure the article in IGN about this says that SSB4 is going to narrow the character list... :(magiciandude

Actually that's not true. They've not spoken about 3rd party characters, outside of saying there won't be anyone from Tekken in the game. When they spoke about the character roster they where actually on about the whole thing, they said they want every character in the game to feel a lot more unique, and that would mean either vastly changing some of there movesets, or removing characters completely. So for example, don't expect to see Ganon be a clone of Captain Falcon this time around, and certainly don't expect Marth, Roy and Ike to all be in the next game, it'll probably just be one of them, and it'll most likely be Marth.
#10 Posted by goblaa (19304 posts) -

[QUOTE="magiciandude"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]I'm pretty sure the article in IGN about this says that SSB4 is going to narrow the character list... :(spike6958

Actually that's not true. They've not spoken about 3rd party characters, outside of saying there won't be anyone from Tekken in the game. When they spoke about the character roster they where actually on about the whole thing, they said they want every character in the game to feel a lot more unique, and that would mean either vastly changing some of there movesets, or removing characters completely. So for example, don't expect to see Ganon be a clone of Captain Falcon this time around, and certainly don't expect Marth, Roy and Ike to all be in the next game, it'll probably just be one of them, and it'll most likely be Marth.

I always felt characters like that would be better suited as skins or alternate costumes.

#11 Posted by magiciandude (9677 posts) -

[QUOTE="magiciandude"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]I'm pretty sure the article in IGN about this says that SSB4 is going to narrow the character list... :(spike6958

Straight from the IGN article:

"I think Snake and Sonic joining were fantastic. It made many fans happy, and it broadened the Smash Bros arena," he said. "However, introducing more non-Nintendo characters willy-nilly will lose the focus of the game, so I also recognise the need to narrow it down."

Also, why wouldn't I expect Ike in the next game? Unlike Roy, Ike is not a clone of Marth. Granted he might replaced by another FE rep, but just being removed alone doesn't have a reason unless Sakurai just wanted to.

#12 Posted by GamerEye (1670 posts) -

He means that the "Smash Bros" formula is complete, that there is no need to add "gimmics" to attract an aduience as Smash Bros already has a good sized aduience already.

#13 Posted by nini200 (10083 posts) -
Good. Just make the clones Palette swaps and tweak current characters movesets to make them more unique. Thats why SB64 was so great. Everybody felt unique. That was lost with Melee. They tried to bring it back with Brawl but they didn't quite nail it.
#14 Posted by knuckl3head (908 posts) -

Thats why SB64 was so great. Everybody felt unique. That was lost with Melee. They tried to bring it back with Brawl but they didn't quite nail it.nini200

Tried to bring it back with brawl? I felt this issue was far more apparent in brawl.

#15 Posted by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -

Cool! So now we only have to wait another 2-3 years. :P

#16 Posted by thetravman (3540 posts) -

[QUOTE="nini200"]Thats why SB64 was so great. Everybody felt unique. That was lost with Melee. They tried to bring it back with Brawl but they didn't quite nail it.knuckl3head

Tried to bring it back with brawl? I felt this issue was far more apparent in brawl.

You have got to be kidding. In corresponding groups, Melee had the characters with the exact same movesets with different damage outputs, while Brawl had a few similar moves that function differently. The only aspect lacking variety were the Final Smashes. Brawl was much more distinguished but it still could be better.

#17 Posted by bionicle_lover (4501 posts) -

As a noncompetitive player, i dont really care about balance as long as there arent any overly powerful characters, I really hope they make some really unique characters. I also hope they dont shrink the roster size. Brawl's roster felt lacking and boring after a while because there were so many clones. I want a brawl sized roster but with all unique characters. I main donkey kong and yoshi, and its a lot of fun cause they are different. I dont want to see five marths and twenty foxes. :P even if one is slower or does his moves at a 20 percent higher angle.

#18 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1382 posts) -

With them not adding a bunch of new characters (They said there would be new ones but not alot) that shaves off some time. With Namco Bandai helping that means they can divide up the jobs more meaning the game will be made faster. I have been saying for awhile now Smash Bros 3DS will be out in 2013. Smash Bros Wii U will be 2014.

thetravman

#19 Posted by thedude- (2312 posts) -

SSBB was great but now I see there is so much room for growth in the series.

The balance for the fighting system could use years of beta testing, the single player was entertaining but it did not flow well as a moving platformer so they have to find a new way to incorportate a single player adventure, and the online should be a huge (epic in scale).