Skyward Sword VS A Link Between Worlds

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Noj_Leakim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Noj_Leakim
Member since 2004 • 459 Posts

Both are great games but which one do you think is better. Here aremy thoughts on the subject.

A Link Between Worlds is a better GAME while Skyward Sword is a better EXPERIENCE. Im sure I just pissed a couple people off but hear me out. ALBW is undoubtabley the better game. It has better puzzles, pace, and progression compared to SS. Most importantly its just more fun. While Skyward Sword isnt a slouch in any of these departments either A Link Between Worlds is simply better.

However Skyward Sword completely beats it when it comes to the things like story, characters, graphics, combat and music. Its also alot longer which is both a good and bad thing. So while ALBW is technically the better game there are aspects that are simply better in Skyward Sword. Skyward Sword was full of epic moments, awesome characters, great music.

When it comes down to which one I liked better I would say they are about even in my mind with A Link Between Worlds taking a very slight edge due to it being fresher in my mind and the formula shake up. If the next Zelda on the Wii U is able to combine the elements of ALBW and SS we could be looking at the best game of all time.

So what are your guys thoughts.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

I wish ALBW was longer. I can't really compare the two games due to how different they are from each other. I never did beat Skyward Sword though. Will have to revisit it one day.

metswonin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 metswonin69
Member since 2006 • 1083 Posts

ALBW was about as perfect as a 2D Zelda can be. Skyward Sword is probably the worst 3D Zelda so far. ALBW is definitely a much better game.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19567 Posts

I'd...actually agree that ALBW is the better game, while SS is the better experience.

I mean, ALBW was definitely a great game. It's one of the best 2D Zelda titles, and probably *the* best handheld Zelda game. It did everything right.

But still...Skyward Sword has some of the best moments in the entire series. It was definitely a flawed game (that overworld!), but I honestly didn't care about the flaws when I was playing through so many moments that vastly out-'epic'ed anything from the other 3D Zelda titles.

A game that combined both ALBW's solid design and SS' huge set pieces would be awesome. Especially if it was a 'sequel' to Majora's Mask!

Megadrivemike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Megadrivemike
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts

I have only just started to play skyward sword and I'm really enjoying it! Glad to see some of you are saying ALBW is a better game as I am getting it for christmas. I will return here when I have beaten both to give my view on which one is better.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Skyward Sword was handicapped right from the start which drops it a few notches in my book. The hand holding began as soon as you started the game while the first 8hrs or so were rather boring. It felt like the longest intro in the history of gaming. Besides those two negatives it was still a good, very good actually, game. Not much needs to be said about ALBW because it is a sequel to one of the best video games ever produced. Becoming a portrait and merging with a wall is something that looked to be a cheaply thought of gimmick but has proven to be quite inventive and interesting to say the least. I'm also enjoying the ability to upgrade items into weapons worthy of Link. The hand holding seems absent and the fun starts immediately.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

@Noj_Leakim said:

A Link Between Worlds is a better GAME while Skyward Sword is a better EXPERIENCE.

That's a really good way to put it. Link Between Worlds does a lot of things right, but I'm not going to remember much of it down the line. But I'll remember Skyward Sword for years because so much of it is so good, despite some of its shortcomings.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts
@Noj_Leakim said:

A Link Between Worlds is a better GAME while Skyward Sword is a better EXPERIENCE.

While I don't completely agree with your reasons why (I'd say ALBW has better music :P), I'd say this statement perfectly describes the two. I was having difficulties deciding which I preferred but this made me realize that both are pretty different from each other to be properly compared.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#9  Edited By pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

A Link Between Worlds is Zelda at a very pure state. There is little to no filler in the game, which makes it very short, but completely engaging.

I would choose Skyward Sword, though. Its low moments are leagues below ALBW's lows, but SS had stellar dungeons and great combat.

mrfokken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mrfokken
Member since 2009 • 642 Posts

It is hard to compare them because SS is a console game and ALBW is handheld. Ironically there was way too much hand holding in SS. Still, there is a brevity to ALBW. More so than just looking at the filler from SS. But SS develops characters and is more atmospheric which makes it more of a sit down console experience than the get in and get out style of ALBW.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

If Skyward Sword hadn't been bloated with mandatory fetch quests (Tears of Lights, dowsing, repeated boss battle, poorly handled stealth sections, underwater note collecting), it would've crushed Link Between Worlds.

I just find it much easier to replay the 15-hour ALBW over the 45-hour SS (where 10 hours could have been easily cut right off).

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#12 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

I haven't played "Link Between Worlds" yet (I'm getting as either a birthday or Christmas gift) so I can't comment however from what I've seen, it seems almost like a major step in the series. I'm interested in the non linear approach and I'm pleased to hear that there's a lot less handholding.

Skyward Sword is a game that I was very torn on. There were moments of brilliance in that title. I loved that collecting doodads could let you upgrade your gear as opposed to just collecting a certain number of stuff to trade for something else. I liked the story. This was one of the best incarnations of Zelda since Tetra. I didn't mind the motion control swordplay but at the same time there were parts that DRAGGED. The sky was so huge and empty. At least with WW's ocean you could stop at little islands, hunt for treasure, maybe fight a giant squid, but the sky was a whole lot of nothing. Sometime later I downloaded the Gameboy Zeldas on my 3DS and it was nice to finish one dungeon and make my way towards the next one with only doing one task if that. I think it's because I'm older and I have more adult responsibilities and I hate when games waste my time in order to pad out gameplay.

I know when we spend money on a game, we want to get a lot of content for our money, but a 50 hour game doesn't matter if 30 of those hours are spent doing tedious things that aren't fun.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

A Link Between Worlds is much better imo. Took me about 25 hours to get pretty much everything in it. No hand holding, no-filler, and better over world. I would rather play though ALBW for another 25-30 hours on hardcore mode, than send another 45 hours on SS.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

As awesome as A Link Between Worlds is, I much preferred Skyward Sword. I think it's because it felt extremely fresh for a zelda. I've replayed Skyward Sword more than any other game in the franchise so that must count for something. It's just extremely enjoyable every single step of the way.

I find myself not wanting to replay A Link Between worlds and I cannot pinpoint why exactly.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

I'm playing SS right now i am at beginning of last sword upgrade quest. My thoughts so far is that the beginning was kinda boring but not awful or anything, the middle of the game is really fun. I dont care for the item upgrade system boring. Now that I am on last quest for sword I am getting bored or tired of so many dungeon quest without enough sidequest to mix it up so I would not become as bored. I did some sidequest but they are not that great, pretty much just getting gratitude crystals. I will take a break from the game for a little while I suppose.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16  Edited By GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

I thought Skyward Sword felt bloated. It's not just the padding but they took the character development much further than any Zelda game ought to go. I prefer the Skyward Sword plot and challenge I suppose, but overall I had a better time with ALBW

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

They can't compare easily due to their handheld and console nature (another reason why I want Nintendo not to go handheld-only). But, as people have stated, ALBW is one of, if not, the best handheld Zelda game, where as SS is toward the bottom for 3D console Zelda games.

Trade-offs for being handheld vs console includes things like length of a dungeon, scope of the story line, etc.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

I noticed both had what the other lacked.

Skyward Sword had personality, creative dungeons, great bosses, expressive characters.
Between Worlds had freedom, exploration, non-linearity, and smooth pacing.

Avatar image for JYoungin20years
JYoungin20years

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JYoungin20years
Member since 2005 • 361 Posts

iveheard the final.bosses in both games aretough.