Skipped Zombie U because of reviews...my bad

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by dino77c (91 posts) -

I skipped Zombie U on launch day because of the review on here...after getting a recommendation from a buddy I decided to eshop it last night. Game is amazing, unique, scary as heck I played it for hours last night and was even dreaming about it when I slept. Now everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I think the review on here was terrible. It may not be everyones cup of tea but a 4.5 has to have some bias or something tied to it.

anyway, my bad for letting someone else decided what is good for me...they should really do a demo for this I bet tons of people who skipped it would be shocked to see how good it is.

my thoughts not yours

#2 Posted by hanman9 (371 posts) -

I skipped Zombie U on launch day because of the review on here...after getting a recommendation from a buddy I decided to eshop it last night. Game is amazing, unique, scary as heck I played it for hours last night and was even dreaming about it when I slept. Now everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I think the review on here was terrible. It may not be everyones cup of tea but a 4.5 has to have some bias or something tied to it.

anyway, my bad for letting someone else decided what is good for me...they should really do a demo for this I bet tons of people who skipped it would be shocked to see how good it is.

my thoughts not yours

dino77c

Thanks for the reassurance, i actually cancelled my preorder with Zombiu, but i've now replaced my order after more and more positive reports.

#3 Posted by bionicle_lover (4501 posts) -

The thing about reviews is that its never the same people writing it and everybody likes different games. Maybe the reason it scored low is because the production isnt as good/ the game feels cheap or has bugs or glitches. For example, gta4 got 10s everywhere, yet i enjoyed saints row the third way more. GTA4 is the better game hands down through the more technical/ objective categories. That may the problem with zombieU. Sometimes, i think scores hurt the game review system. It puts all games out in some hodgepodge category. I'd rather have the final result of a review be a more detailed list of pros/ cons and maybe a summary of the longer read for the people too lazy to read the whole thing, but a number is just too subjective in this case.

#4 Posted by Pffrbt (6589 posts) -

It may not be everyones cup of tea but a 4.5 has to have some bias or something tied to it.dino77c

All reviews are biased unless the person is just running off a list of facts about the game.

#5 Posted by superbuuman (3056 posts) -

don't look at the score, just pick out their positive and negatives comment, and whether it affects you...from GS review the negative comments this reviewer made, he was looking for another L4D pew pew zombie shooter not a survival horror.:P

#6 Posted by Jaysonguy (37822 posts) -

[QUOTE="dino77c"]It may not be everyones cup of tea but a 4.5 has to have some bias or something tied to it.Pffrbt

All reviews are biased unless the person is just running off a list of facts about the game.

No it's not an opinion

A review is based on the facts about a game, sound quality, visual fidelity, glitches, bad design, facts

Zombie U is a bad game based on facts, now people may love to settle for less and they may love Zombie U but that doesn't make the game any better.

#7 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

[QUOTE="dino77c"]It may not be everyones cup of tea but a 4.5 has to have some bias or something tied to it.Jaysonguy

No it's not an opinion

A review is based on the facts about a game, sound quality, visual fidelity, glitches, bad design, facts

Zombie U is a bad game based on facts, now people may love to settle for less and they may love Zombie U but that doesn't make the game any better.

You mean the game currently sitting at a 74 on Metacritic with more positive reviews than mixed and negative reviews combined?
#8 Posted by spicoli420 (342 posts) -

The issue with reviews from sites like gamespot is they represent the site as a whole. I am totally baffled as to why this game received a 4.5 from gamespot. The individual should not be reviewing unless they of the ability to appreciate all forms of video games. It is a total shame that people will see this score and opt out of their intended purchase. Zombiu is a fantastic game. It brings a sense of fear and excitement that very few games accomplish. Buy the game.....you won't regret it.

#9 Posted by hanman9 (371 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

[QUOTE="dino77c"]It may not be everyones cup of tea but a 4.5 has to have some bias or something tied to it.Jaysonguy

No it's not an opinion

That is utter nonsense, yes it may have minor faults in the areas you've mentioned but if the overall experience is fantastic, that's down to personal oppinion/preference.... hence the mixed review scores. A 4.5 seems way off, that score indicates the game is completely broken. Which is BS. The GS reviewer obviously didn't take it for what it is.... atrue survival horror game. Many other reviewers have understood it.

#10 Posted by spideyredx (980 posts) -
I too skipped this game because I assumed such a low early review was indicative of the overall review spread that the game would eventually get. I even decided not to buy a wiiU until months in the future. I now realize that I might have made a mistake- I looked at some "lets play" and "quick view" videos of the game and decided for myself that I would really enjoy it. I love survival horror, so it only helps me like the game more. I will now try to find a Wii U to buy(it seems too late for that).
#11 Posted by Jaysonguy (37822 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

hanman9

No it's not an opinion

That is utter nonsense, yes it may have minor faults in the areas you've mentioned but if the overall experience is fantastic, that's down to personal oppinion/preference.... hence the mixed review scores. A 4.5 seems way off, that score indicates the game is completely broken. Which is BS. The GS reviewer obviously didn't take it for what it is.... atrue survival horror game. Many other reviewers have understood it.

You understand that the game is so glitched that you can walk through a good portion of the walls and even locked doors that aren't supposed to be opened until later in the game right?

That's a fantastic experience in your eyes?

I'm sorry you like broken things, I can't imagine what that's like.

#12 Posted by spicoli420 (342 posts) -

If you enjoy survival horror then this is the game for you. I game on all platforms and have been doing so for over 20 years. I cannot stress enough how enjoyable this game is. My intentions are not to overhype the game but to inform that this game is good........you won't regret your purchase.

#13 Posted by layton2012 (3653 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

No it's not an opinion

I agree to an extent, reviews are usually based on a game technical downfalls, but you need to read the review yourself to decide if this downfalls ruin the game for you.
#14 Posted by hanman9 (371 posts) -

[QUOTE="hanman9"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

No it's not an opinion

Jaysonguy

You understand that the game is so glitched that you can walk through a good portion of the walls and even locked doors that aren't supposed to be opened until later in the game right?

I seen that in GS's review, that probably happened once, throughout the entire game, one random glitch. No other reviewer mentioned or experienced anything of this sort. It's not like you can seemlessly walk through walls everywhere. Hell look at Skyrim, riddled with glitches which distract you from the experience, but did it ruin the game? No. You seem to take pleasure on bashing anything and everything, even when you've not played it yourself. Good luck with that bro.

#15 Posted by kiori6 (71 posts) -

The game is great. I could pick this game apart for some of the issues but none of them stop this

from being a fun somewhat scary experience. Some people try way to hard to find things to hate

instead of things to enjoy.

#16 Posted by dino77c (91 posts) -

not saying he its a 9 for everyone...there is just no way its a 4.5. The look and sound of the game are supposed to be gritty like a B horror movie, some people just don't get it. Check the Miiverse pretty much everyone that actually owns the game loves it

take the metacritic and take out the ridiculous 4.5 and you have a 7.5-8 game which I would say is fair. If you are a fan of old school survival horror this will be a top of the mark game for you. I have never in my life had an opinion so different then a review on this site usually gamespot is spot on for me but not this time thats why I felt the need to post this.

for the record I own and love systems...so don't think I'm a fanboy, I love videogames and buy every system that comes out so in not interested in wars just good games

#17 Posted by dino77c (91 posts) -

anyone who watches reviews on the run they had a good look at the game, review...said it takes and hour or two to get into it.

8.5 and 9.0 scores

#18 Posted by Sphensen (787 posts) -

you can't ever trust a review, unless it's from like minded people.

I mean some people think culture club rocks

#19 Posted by dino77c (91 posts) -

you can't ever trust a review, unless it's from like minded people.

I mean some people think culture club rocks

Sphensen
I've learned my lesson....They give Madden a decent score every year despite the fact they release the exact same game, should have known
#20 Posted by deathmasterk (704 posts) -

This game is on a Nintendo console and this is gamespot so of course it sucked!

#21 Posted by blueydwlf (385 posts) -

[QUOTE="hanman9"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

No it's not an opinion

Jaysonguy

Have not encountered these supposed glitches once in my time with the game. Perhaps they are less common than you think. Or more likely blown way out of proportion.
#22 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
ZombiU seems like it's either you'll love it or hate it. We've seen a negative and positive reviews - some people totally dig how the game was designed and understand why it was designed that way, where as others don't like it for the game it's trying to be because they think it fails. It's pretty divisive.
#23 Posted by Darth-Samus (3995 posts) -

my thoughts not yours

dino77c

Agree agreed agreed and a rousing applause for you're choice of wording here. The game is marvelous and the amazing atmposphere is infectious. I find it to be a near masterpiece. And to review a game of this quality as low as a 4.5 is lunacy and either bias, like you had mentioned, or someone who's never played a video game before trying to review for a major site. It's insulting.

Glad you risked it and gave it a shot. The whole game is amazing and only gets better! Enjoy!

#24 Posted by zyphyr2k12 (272 posts) -

I'm going to get this game soon then my launch haul will be complete. I also was going to skip it but reading up on it in Miiverse and in better reviews like on Polygon I've changed my mind. I don't think the negatives will really bother me that much. The positives seem far better. I almost wish I got it instead of Black Ops II, with its paltry 600 people on average online that only want to play TDM.

#25 Posted by Los9090 (7288 posts) -
I wasn't really surprised with the review, seems like games for Nintendo haven't been getting good reviews since the Game Cube days
#26 Posted by xeidog69 (1408 posts) -

I didnt skip it and bought the game and played it for about 4 hours before I basically threw up in my mouth a little. The only things in my opinion that was any good about the game was the sense of dread that it genuinely gives you while playing due to the ambience and hearing the zombies are nearby while trying to complete a task and avoid becoming infected and some of the uses of the gamepad..

Honestly though, the more I played the more aware I became as to what a turd the game was...Graphics are not everything by any means but this game takes the cake for crappy visuals, the over used green / grey filters is abysmal and the controls whether intentional or not are very slow and clunky.

Now upon seeing the demo videos when they first started popping up and playing the finished copy was dissapointing as I rather enjoyed what I had seen and had the expectation that it would have improved significantly from that time and now but it didnt and I realised I really loved the first moments of the game and ignored the lazy developement cause I do enjoy games which make me feel fear or dread, but alas after a brief period of time the only dread I felt was for buying the game.

Thanks to the manager lady at gamestop for trading me up for equeal value and taking the turd from my hands. I got Tekken in place of this game and couldnt be happier with it. Also been enjoying Mario, Sonic, Nintendo land"somewhat" and the downloadable title Trine 2... will wait for Pikmin 3, monster hunter and bayonetta.

#27 Posted by xeidog69 (1408 posts) -

I wasn't really surprised with the review, seems like games for Nintendo haven't been getting good reviews since the Game Cube daysLos9090

Not entirely true, Yes wii had alot of shovelware, more than any other console ever, However it had many games with abnormally high scores, some of those games somehow rated so High in fact they went into the best games of all time catagory.

#28 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4714 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

No it's not an opinion

At least you didn't tell him that he likes garbage. He enjoys the game. He's allowed to do that. He thinks it is good, and he has every right to think that. You can go around telling people that what they think is good is really bad on the web if you want and I wish you the best of luck with that.
#29 Posted by Djmaster214 (3238 posts) -

[QUOTE="hanman9"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

No it's not an opinion

Jaysonguy

oh man your opinion is the one to rule them all! you really sound like a tool though, why does it bother you that people like this? let alone i would bet money you havent played them game either, am i correct here?
#30 Posted by nintendoman562 (5593 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

No it's not an opinion

How can you comment on sound quality and visual fidelity objectively?
#31 Posted by themagicbum9720 (6505 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

nintendoman562

No it's not an opinion

How can you comment on sound quality and visual fidelity objectively?

no one can. reviews are just one person's opinion about a game, don't know why he doesn't understand that, probably too busy trolling this board.
#32 Posted by bulby_g (1259 posts) -

I was a bit worried after reading the GS review. Checked a few others that seemed mostly positive and stuck with it though as it seems like my kind of game. Glad to see posts like this and look forward to trying it myself on Friday when it releases here.

#33 Posted by zyphyr2k12 (272 posts) -

I get to finally play this game today, so excited. I bought it yesterday but am waiting for friends to come over and check it out together. Can't wait.

#34 Posted by Vickman178 (1035 posts) -

[QUOTE="hanman9"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

No it's not an opinion

Jaysonguy

Thats a straight up lie, I understand why people dislike you now.

#35 Posted by jimwade (200 posts) -

No it's not an opinion

Jaysonguy

How do you review something like story in a game if not based on opinion? What one person considers a good story, others may not. The purpose of reading reviews, is to find a reviewer who has like minded taste so that their opinion might be similar to your own.

Roger Ebert is considered to be a good movie reviewer, but I only agree with him about 1/3 of the time. We just have different tastes.

#36 Posted by scampjot (20 posts) -

No it's not an opinion

Jaysonguy

"4.0-4.5: PoorGames that just don't work right and maybe didn't spend enough time in production tend to fall in to this category. They simply lack the cohesion and quality that make other games fun."

Some people are having fun and others are saying the game is memorable.

A game is NOT the sum of its parts alone. Just because there are glitches, it doesn't mean the game is less immersive than games without glitches. That is the kind of subjectivity that a review MUST have. Otherwise it's a sh*tty review, like Gamespot's ZombieU review.

#37 Posted by Jin66 (61 posts) -

4.5 is a terrible score, but lets not forget another survival 'horror' game released not long ago that got the exact same score on GS (Resident Evil 6).

Didn't stop it selling millions of copies nor stop people enjoying it for what it was.

#38 Posted by zyphyr2k12 (272 posts) -

Just my opinion but I thought RE 6 was terrible. I mean it had a ton of content but the content wasn't fun to me. Kudos to those who like it, I guess. ZombiU seems like a much better game so far.

#39 Posted by enrique_marrodz (2107 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

No it's not an opinion

You're wrong, a review is an opinion, not a simple a list of facts, and is always biased depending on the reviewer preferences, experiences, etc. The quality of the review depends on how impartial and objective the reviewer may be. As you're not a reviewer and the actual Metacritic and Gamerankings scores are above 7, the GS review is way off the actual experience and the game, per definition, is not bad, despite you not enjoying it
#40 Posted by yoshi_64 (25261 posts) -

Maybe it wasn't action enough for them like RE? :P I am liking Zombie U, there may be some legitimate concerns (like your Paddle of doom causing you not to fear a couple Zombies) but even still, this game could definitely shine better with a sequel. The game lets you really explore at your own pace, and looking down at your bag becomes a vital decision making point. I make sure I check any room, close the doors, and THEN check my bag, before I browse in it, even just to quickly pop a couple of candy bars or something to replenish health. It is a survival horror game to its core, there's no chance of standing up to waves of Zombies (in my current session) and hearing Zombies in distances has my nerves all twisted and riled up.

Aside from a few ugly character models (environments aren't TOO bad) and a few control issues for me, it is great. My control issues regard in that Darn L button being my scanner. I keep accidentally pressing it. x_x I wish THAT was a touch button instead, and something else was used for the buttons. A weapon swap button would be nicer too than just touch buttons.The L button could have been my flashlight or something, kind of don't like it on the touch screen, and swapping between paddle and gun would be nice with X or something.

#41 Posted by Gesyma (1044 posts) -

A weapon swap button would be nicer too than just touch buttons.The L button could have been my flashlight or something, kind of don't like it on the touch screen, and swapping between paddle and gun would be nice with X or something.

yoshi_64
That would have definitely been nice! Good call.
#42 Posted by SolidTy (45096 posts) -

my thoughts not yours

dino77c
My friend bought it, we hadn't seen the reviews on Launch day. We didn't like it, it was okay, but not $60. It seemed, clunky. Of course, then the reviews started rolling out, and things started making sense to my friends and myself at that point, as ZombiU got a lot of lower scores visiting Metacritic. Glad you like it though. We are older, so maybe people are more forgiving if they have less comparisons with games/less machines, I'm not sure. I will try it again once I beat New Super Mario U, as he wants to trade me for a few weeks.
#43 Posted by dino77c (91 posts) -

I am in my 30s and own almost every console ever made and also full size arcade games and pinball machines...its a matter of opinion but I am really enjoying zombie u.

#44 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11539 posts) -

I am in my 30s and own almost every console ever made and also full size arcade games and pinball machines...its a matter of opinion but I am really enjoying zombie u.

dino77c
Yeah I don't think it's necessarily a matter of having less comparisons. It's really down to personal taste. ZombiU seems like a love it or hate it game with some small space for being "ok" It's also been getting some glowing reviews from multiple sources so it's definitely not bad. With all that being said it's one of my favorite games this year and probably the most pleasant surprise. Its tough and moody. Really has a tense atmosphere. The only real problem I have with it are the glitches.
#45 Posted by Byshop (12156 posts) -

It's a game with -some- good ideas and some poor execution and design choices. To sum up what I wrote in the other now deleted thread, I like the idea of games with consequence (Dark Souls is one of my favorites). The atmosphere is pretty decent and I like the exploration aspect and don't mind the occasional backtracking (although the paths are more linear than I would like).

The whole "one bite" thing sounded awesome on paper, until I realized that each new survivor was basically a mute, blank slate cranked out by a face/name/job generator.

What I dislike are the bugs, bad implementation and poor design choices. Knocking zombies through the floor, freezing, etc. On top of that, a radar that only works when the game devs want it to. I don't mind it not working on "possum" zombies on the floor since if it detected them it would completely negate the potential threat they might pose if you always knew which ones were still "alive", but the game straight up cheats with the radar. Sometimes it'll "fail" to detect a standing zombie right around the corner when the game needs to manufacure a cheap scare or miss an entire room of zombies until after you pass a doorway or loading threshold.

Other bad design choices include making players sit through an unskippable cutscene everytime they start the game, and then a loading screen -after- the cutscene. I exit a manhole over into a hallway that only goes one possible direction and the game doesn't bother loading the next room until I reach the -end- of that hallway and attempt to open the door.

And finally, there is no auto-save. There's no good reason to not include an autosave in a game that only permits you a single save slot. Forcing me to backtrack all the way back to a safe room doesn't make the game harder, it just makes it less conveinent to play because I can't quit without potentially losing progress. The game has frozen on me twice since I started playing it and since there's no autosave I lost progress both times. I had to pause and step away from the console to take care of my son, and when I came back the console had auto-shut off because I was gone for more than an hour and I lost progress.

Another time the game made me drop into an area that I had to deal with 7 zombies before I could return to the safe room. What is the point of that? It doesn't add challenge, it just keeps me from being able to quit when I need to without losing progress. If the game offered an auto-save, I could quit but I'd still have to come back to the "trapped behind 7 zombies" to proceed. In this scenario, it actually would have made sense for me to lure one zombie out and let him kill me. That would have basically autosaved me, respawned me back at the safe room and allowed me to pick it back up again later with a relatively safe chance of getting all of my equipment back.

When the save game system has be complemplating "tactical suicide" then the save game system is poorly designed.

-Byshop

#46 Posted by ChiefFreeman (5528 posts) -

If you enjoy survival horror then this is the game for you. I game on all platforms and have been doing so for over 20 years. I cannot stress enough how enjoyable this game is. My intentions are not to overhype the game but to inform that this game is good........you won't regret your purchase.

spicoli420
Glad to hear it. My brother got me a Wii U and Zombie U for Christmas.
#47 Posted by volume_three (2142 posts) -

dino77c

This ^

(less the arcade and pinball machines ;) )

spicoli420

... And this :P

#48 Posted by Pattonfiend67 (37 posts) -

no melee, cannot jump, cannot use anything in the environment to your advantage except for red barrels, extremely dull missions, the game was incredibly short and there were no bosses or even many enemies at all for that matter.

you must have only owned a wii before your wii u... these things i named off were common place 7 years ago and ubisoft decided not to incorporate them now in their game a decade after it became the "norm."

#49 Posted by JordanElek (17995 posts) -

no melee, cannot jump, cannot use anything in the environment to your advantage except for red barrels, extremely dull missions, the game was incredibly short and there were no bosses or even many enemies at all for that matter.

you must have only owned a wii before your wii u... these things i named off were common place 7 years ago and ubisoft decided not to incorporate them now in their game a decade after it became the "norm."

Pattonfiend67

Well if they had just followed the norm, they would've made Resident Evil 6.... Instead, they made the most genuine survival horror game since the PSX Resident Evil games and did a really good job with it. No game since the Gamecube version of Resident Evil has even scared me, but ZombiU has consistently TERRIFIED me over the course of the game.

#50 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4714 posts) -

Pattonfiend67
no melee? did you swing your bat ever? there are a few bosses too, don't know where you're getting that. it has limited bosses in the way that GTA doesn't have great bosses