Should Nintendo release a Level Editor for there next mario? 2-D or 3-D

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by inso-maniac (346 posts) 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: Should Nintendo release a Level Editor for there next mario? 2-D or 3-D (10 votes)

Yes 70%
No 30%

Since Nintendo has a history of being innovative maybe the ideas of the past that there not going back to, should have level editors for us to play around with and maybe share through online communities. forget Little big planet i know that exists, but MARIO!!! would be fun placing enemies and platforms as we wish in a 3-d or 2-d game, leave your thoughts below

#1 Edited by inso-maniac (346 posts) -

for instance if nintendo isnt going back to mario sunshine they should hand us a level editor to make our own mario sunshine levels

#2 Edited by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -

2D levels? doable. 3D? unlikely.

though i feel people overestimate the value of level editors. i know i used to. "OMG YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN LEVELS" and then you don't do any, or you try to and realize that the editor can't do magic and its limitations keep you from achieving what you wanted.

#3 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7775 posts) -

It depends on what kind of tools they're giving you to work with. If they're going all-out LBP level, then hell yeah.

#4 Posted by Ovirew (6448 posts) -

When I always used to envision a more modern Mario Bros. game, I pictured something like New Super Mario Bros., except with new levels constantly being added that you can download to extend the length and value of the game. Like every week you'd get a new level, or every month you'd get a stage with like 3 levels, or maybe every once in a while they'd add a whole new area to explore on the map. And they could add in new power-ups and enemies in the new stages. All for free.

Of course that's a lot of dreaming. But they could do something like Chu-Chu Rocket did on the Dreamcast, and let people upload their own stages. I think custom Mario levels would be much more fun to play and make than custom LBP levels.

I guess the problem becomes, when you have so many uploads to choose from, how do you single out the ones that are really worth checking out?

#5 Posted by Legendaryscmt (12532 posts) -

@BrunoBRS said:

2D levels? doable. 3D? unlikely.

though i feel people overestimate the value of level editors. i know i used to. "OMG YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN LEVELS" and then you don't do any, or you try to and realize that the editor can't do magic and its limitations keep you from achieving what you wanted.

It really depends on how much effort the developers put into it. There's been some crummy level editors that really restrict the player, but have also been some fantastic ones that formed communities around them.

#6 Posted by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -

2-D would probably work much better as it is simpler. However, putting together a good level is extremely hard in a Mario game, and it would require the editor to have a whole lot of features and options so that players can go all out with their creativity.

#7 Edited by Master_Of_Fools (1383 posts) -

1 of the guys who works on Mario said they are interested in make a 2D Mario game where you can make your own levels. He said the only issue was making it so anybody can use it...pros and casuals...So it could happen in the next "New Super Mario Bros" game...

#8 Edited by ANIMEguy10034 (4867 posts) -

I can definitely see a level editor for a future 2D Mario. A 3D level editor is too complex.

#9 Posted by kbaily (13042 posts) -

On one condition: that is has a community like LBP with good filters. I can't create anything good in LBP to save my life, but I like that they have MM Picks. Namely user made levels that the devs hand picked for having good and creative level design. I don't want to wade through tons of bad levels to find the good ones given that the majority of user created Mario levels would just be rehashed levels from past games. But the WiiU gamepad seems ideal for that sort of thing

But a 3D level editor would be too complex. Many said they wouldn't want another LBP game unless it had 3D level design, otherwise there's no where else that series could go.

#10 Posted by Jaysonguy (37831 posts) -

Interesting how everyone in this thread so far wants the Mario franchise to die.

Let's see what Mario has going for it.

Graphics? God no

Story? That's a miss

Sound? Again, no

The only thing that Mario franchise has going for it is the level design. Take that out of things and you have no reason to play the games at all.

As for now Nintendo has been the only ones who have designed the levels and told us that Mario and the franchise is special and only they can do it.

What happens when anyone can make a good level?

Well there goes the last bit of Nintendo magic. Mario is shown to be nothing more then a placeholder for overall level design.

Put me down for a "NO" when it comes to killing the Mario franchise.

#11 Edited by nini200 (10103 posts) -

Giving the players choice for level design usually results in bad levels. Take Smash Bros for instance, I've played alot of peoples created stages and they were atrocious to say the least. I honestly had the most fun on my stage which was a box that you jump inside of and the only way to ko is to knock them out the roof. I'll have to decline and let Nintendo keep at the level design.

#12 Posted by SaintJimmmy (2815 posts) -

As much as i doubt it would ever happen

2-D? Yes that would be great

3-D? I'll pass that would not being easily implemented or user friendly