Should Nintendo rebrand the Wii U?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Noj_Leakim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Noj_Leakim
Member since 2004 • 459 Posts

Nintendo is in a bad spot with the Wii U right now. I LOVE Nintendo and even I can admit that they are in a very bad situation. I absolutey cannot believe that the Wii U sales are stillas low as they are but the facts are the facts and with the PS4 and the XBONe now competing with it the future doesnt look any brighter. The question really comes down to whats to blame for this and from what I can gather it is a lack of marketing and a clear public image. Apparently there are STILL people who have no idea Nintendo has released a new console and a large part of that has to do with the name of the system.

So what I think is the best course of action is to just bite the bullet and rebrand everything. Recall all the Wii Us they can, paint a 2 over the U slap them in a new box and rebrand it as the Wii 2. Launch a huge marketing campaign making it clear to the consumer that the Wii U is a brand new Nintendo system and pack in the updated Wii Sports and a Mario game.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

nah that would cause even more confusion....

casuals are not buying because they cant use the gamepad...maybe nintendo should have stuck with motion controls and more power.

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

Rebranding is an embarrassing move. Nintendo screwed up and they have to make the best of it. 3DS was victim of this same situation but it eventually became a juggernaut. Nintendo just has to make the right moves again.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

No. That would be utterly disastrous. That would cause even MORE confusion. The worst of the Wii U is over with. All that needs to happen is the year of 2014, nothing more.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I doubt the Wii U name is as confusing as people make it out to be. I'm sure consumers are used to technology upgrades and similar names. There are a lot of hurdles for the Wii U, and I don't think the brand itself is a big problem.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@Master_Of_Fools said:

No. That would be utterly disastrous. That would cause even MORE confusion. The worst of the Wii U is over with. All that needs to happen is the year of 2014, nothing more.

^ This..they just need to release their 2014 line ups smoothly ..without delays. :P

Avatar image for Jumpingjack2004
Jumpingjack2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jumpingjack2004
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I dont think they should rebrand, rather they need better marketing. I remember growing up games companies advertised through T.v adverts as well as in comics and magazines. This is something that has slowly changed with the popularity of the internet. I think Nintendo has to be more aggressive in their marketing.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#8 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

That ship has already sailed a long time ago.

I think that stopping Wii production completely would be a good solution. But, given how we just got a brand new Wii version, it seems the people at Nintendo do not agree with me

Nintenkid91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 Nintenkid91
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I don't think the system itself is the actual issue. I really think its more the lack of games for the system. I mean every weekend I go shopping at Target to restock my apartment and I always browse the video game section and I have to say the Wii U section is pretty pathetic. There are hardly any good games for it and now after thinking I got the system last year for Christmas and also got NintendoLand and Super Mario Bros U. I didn't yet get another game for it until Pikmin 3 came out this summer. Half of a year went by and there was absolutely no appealing games that were released between the launch of the system and this past summer. It really isn't until now almost a whole year later that they are kicking up the games on the system with the new 3D World, Wind Waker HD (should I even count remakes?) and downloadable content. I mean I can't think of any other games that seem good besides the games that would just make more sense to play on the Xbox or Playstation. The rest are all this real goofy kid games or like Just Dance.

They need a better library, the system itself is pretty cool, but what good is a system without any cool games?