Should Nintendo buy Sega

YoungDavid77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should Nintendo buy Sega (49 votes)

Yes 49%
No 51%

It's been 14 after Sega last home consoles, and going into 3rd party to make games for other system, looks like now Sega is no longer making games for consoles just PC and mobile games now with the news which is sad. So what will happen to Sega games like Sonic, Virtua Fighter, and others. We know that Bayonetta is own by Nintendo but I think Nintendo should buy Sega. Maybe bring the Sonic games to the Wii U and 3DS. But the other Sega games like VF won't do good on the Wii U or 3DS. Not too many fighting games on the Wii U but I think Sony will get the VF series So what do you think.

• 
garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

Hell yes. Nintendo could make Sonic so incredibly good.

They could also resurrect Skies of Arcadia, perhaps the best game never to get a sequel.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

1. Nintendo doesn't even have the money to keep all it's people employed and lights on in all the buildings

2. Sega is too advanced for Nintendo, Sega has been dealing with PC and true mobile gaming for a while now, two areas where Nintendo is afraid to go. Nintendo can't keep them on the cutting edge when it comes to those two areas.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#3 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

1. Nintendo doesn't even have the money to keep all it's people employed and lights on in all the buildings

2. Sega is too advanced for Nintendo, Sega has been dealing with PC and true mobile gaming for a while now, two areas where Nintendo is afraid to go. Nintendo can't keep them on the cutting edge when it comes to those two areas.

I thought they were sitting on several billion?

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#4 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

No. If anything, Nintendo should buy IPs from Sega that are worth a damn, build their own development teams, and leave Sega to continue on publishing PC and mobile games.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

IF Sega would sell their IPs, then Nintendo would do good in buying as many of the key ones as possible.

That said, Sega would go bankrupt before selling their key IPs. So the only choice would be for Nintendo to acquire Sega in its entirety. If the price was low enough, yes, Nintendo would be making an excellent choice by eating them up and selling off the components they don't want.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

No. Nintendo doesn't need Sega as a whole. They do need a couple of the things that Sony owns though. They need to buy the Bayonetta IP from them so they can work with Platinum without any fear of losing it from Sega. They also need to buy Atlus from them. Atlus produces for both consoles and handhelds and fills a genre that while is niche has a devoted following that will follow the games.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

seems like a good idea....make a real sonic game or put sonic in a 3d mario game as a playable character.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

I'd love for Eternal Champions to come back and since it doesnt seem like Sega is doing anything else with Virtua Fighter, I'd say why not let them TEAM UP, not Buy

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

no.

outside of the creative assembly sega have very very little of worth. the creative assebly would not fit in well with nintendos platforms (their games eat CPUs for breakfast and they mainly make strategy games).

in terms of IP, bayonetta sold squat (Sadly, great games), shenmue may get a small niche excited but that would also sell squat, sonic is just useless and sells very little, virtua fighter is irrelevant. their biggest IPs now are total war and football manager: games that would not make any sort of money on a nintendo platform.

sega are correct to start focusing on PC, mobile and online gaming...its the only areas where they have something to sell that people want to buy. PC, online and mobile are pretty much as opposite to nintendo as you can get. sega themselves dont have anything nintendo need (like a well developed online system with a big customer base or anything like that).

people need to let the fact that sega made consoles go....that was a very long time ago and sega were a very different company then. they are a 3rd party multiplat publisher and have been for well over a decade.

i would poach amusement vision if i was nintendo perhaps (or the staff at AV). thats about it.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

Nintendo is in no obligation to buy Sega regardless of the latter's troubles.

gajbutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gajbutler
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

Sega just need someone smart in charge, they have the IPs but they're doing nothing with them.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@osan0 said:

no.

outside of the creative assembly sega have very very little of worth. the creative assebly would not fit in well with nintendos platforms (their games eat CPUs for breakfast and they mainly make strategy games).

in terms of IP, bayonetta sold squat (Sadly, great games), shenmue may get a small niche excited but that would also sell squat, sonic is just useless and sells very little, virtua fighter is irrelevant. their biggest IPs now are total war and football manager: games that would not make any sort of money on a nintendo platform.

sega are correct to start focusing on PC, mobile and online gaming...its the only areas where they have something to sell that people want to buy. PC, online and mobile are pretty much as opposite to nintendo as you can get. sega themselves dont have anything nintendo need (like a well developed online system with a big customer base or anything like that).

people need to let the fact that sega made consoles go....that was a very long time ago and sega were a very different company then. they are a 3rd party multiplat publisher and have been for well over a decade.

i would poach amusement vision if i was nintendo perhaps (or the staff at AV). thats about it.

I agree with you. Also remember that Sega bought Relic (Homeworld, Company of Heroes, Warhammer) when THQ went under. So I wouldn't sat CA is the only good asset Sega has. I agree though that it wouldn't make any sense for Nintendo to buy Sega. Now Capcom on the other hand would make a lot more sense in my opinion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

@Jaysonguy said:

I thought they were sitting on several billion?

No, I've already debunked that myth many times

If Nintendo lived rent and tax free with unlimited free utilities and had everyone worked for free plus had free insurance for all their employees that were covered they'd have a ton of money

Nintnedo's problem is that the money they make they need to put right back in, they're treading water and have been since about 2008-9

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

@Toxic-Seahorse: as in nintendo buy capcom?

yea that would make more sense.

but when it comes to developers/publishers i think nintendo need to focus more on south korean, european and american devs. nintendo have no shortage of japanese support but they lack developers who are great at making games nintendo dont make to try and make nintendos platform more appeaing to more people.

if nintendo have to support their platforms on their own (and they mostly will going forward) then they need more developers and a wider portfolio of games to appeal to more people.

zman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 zman
Member since 2015 • 6 Posts

Sega didnt have any good games other than sonic colours, sonic unleashed, and sonic and the lost world, and the 2D sonic games

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Would be a great buy for Nintendo, you would be buying a part of history. Getting your hands on Sonic would be amazing. But best of all, youd get Skies of Arcadia.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nini200

Again I say, they should TEAM UP not buy. Nintega would be a force. Sonic is already on Mario with the Sonic Amiibo on Mario Maker

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

I voted No, I think Microsoft should buy Sega. Nintendo really wouldn't benefit from Sega beyond Bayonetta. Sony wouldn't because they already have established franchises that compare quit favorably with Segas lineup. Microsoft is missing this whole area almost completely and could afford to. One would have thought that buying Rare would have helped, but then MS basically made Rare focus on very un Rare games. I think it would be interesting to let Sega fill the holes MS has in it's lineup as well as give Rare a chance to work on some of there IP's like Sonic.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

I'd prefer they go after Capcom before they think about touching Sega considering Nintendo and Sega both have similar style of creating games while acquiring Capcom will bring "western-style" games to its systems, which it is sorely lacking. Offering partnership with Sega will be a much better course of action rather than buying...

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#20 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

I wouldn't think it would help Nintendo as much as it would help SEGA, so the answer for me in 'no'.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I don't see any benefit for either Nintendo or Sega if one was to buyout the other. Sega has it's hands in both the PC and Mobile pots, as well as acting as a publisher for console titles.

That said, the quality of Sega's core IP's has dropped significantly, so perhaps Nintendo taking IP's like Sonic off there hands could be a good move for both company's. Sega gets some major revenue from the sale and Nintendo draws up public interest due to ownership of some major IP's, especially if they can solve the issues that has plagued the Sonic franchise since it's move into 3D.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts
@nini200 said:

Again I say, they should TEAM UP not buy. Nintega would be a force. Sonic is already on Mario with the Sonic Amiibo on Mario Maker

Sega helped make F-zero GX and that game was amazing so yeah.

Imagine a co-developed Panzer dragoon game... *drools*

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23  Edited By Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

Yes. Sega franchises would diversify Nintendo's game library. Sega has a lot of great arcade type games too.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

Does anyone know that this thread is over eight months old? Why is it bumped three days ago?

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

@nini200 said:

I'd love for Eternal Champions to come back and since it doesnt seem like Sega is doing anything else with Virtua Fighter, I'd say why not let them TEAM UP, not Buy

If my memory serves me, Eternal Champions was terrible.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nini200

@sonic_spark said:
@nini200 said:

If my memory serves me, Eternal Champions was terrible.

It wasn't. It was pretty legit. It was like a mixture of Street Fighter's cartoonyness but with the gore of Mortal Kombat with the finishers etc. Eternal Champions 2 is where it really shines though. That game was great but was doomed due to it being on Sega CD only.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7259 Posts

Maybe ten years ago, but not now. Sega dissolved all their good development teams. Nintendo doesn't need more IPs, they need more 1st party development teams.