Should I get both Wii & Wii U?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by NeoDeaf17 (39 posts) -

I've started to think about buying them. I just want to know your opinions on getting Wii or just Wii U, due to being able to play wii games with classic controller or gamecube controllers. There are some Gamecube games I would love to hunt down. But I want to know, if you guys have heard any confirm of Wii U being able to play wii games with Controller Pro U? I might end up getting both of them, due to Gamecube games, controllers, and some classic games, I've missed out on.

If I do get both of them, Id like to buy a harddrive for both of them...what kind of hd should I get?

#2 Posted by Celsius765 (715 posts) -
if you intend to get both hunt down the original wii newer ones are not gamecube compatible
#3 Posted by NeoDeaf17 (39 posts) -
I think newer wii model the red one is for Canada. I don't think it's coming to US. If it is...then I might as well get it this Friday. I'm getting big paycheck this Friday. After that, Wii U after Pax East or any Nintendo event after March ends.
#4 Posted by KBFloYd (13646 posts) -

I think newer wii model the red one is for Canada. I don't think it's coming to US. If it is...then I might as well get it this Friday. I'm getting big paycheck this Friday. After that, Wii U after Pax East or any Nintendo event after March ends.NeoDeaf17

the red wiis don't play gamecube games....and the new wiis don't also... you have to buy a used wii with gamecube ports if you want to play gamecube games...

you cant buy a harddrive for the wii.... an SD card is all you can buy...and you dont even need it unless you want to buy wiiware and virtual console games..

#5 Posted by NeoDeaf17 (39 posts) -
Wait, are you saying even newer Wiis (black models) don't play gamecubes as well? How do I know which model to buy? I'm def going to buy one this Friday, if I can find new wii that can play gamecubes....I never heard of newer wiis don't play gamecubes, Just the one for Canada. What about Wii U for harddrive? I might buy some vc games, but not sure if they're playable with Wii U pro controller.
#6 Posted by darksongbird (1234 posts) -

I would just buy a Wii U and a used GameCube since the Wii U can play Wii games. No need to confuse the Wiis that you can buy and can't buy. Plus they will be more expensive than the GameCube.

#7 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -

[QUOTE="NeoDeaf17"]I think newer wii model the red one is for Canada. I don't think it's coming to US. If it is...then I might as well get it this Friday. I'm getting big paycheck this Friday. After that, Wii U after Pax East or any Nintendo event after March ends.KBFloYd

the red wiis don't play gamecube games....and the new wiis don't also... you have to buy a used wii with gamecube ports if you want to play gamecube games...

you cant buy a harddrive for the wii.... an SD card is all you can buy...and you dont even need it unless you want to buy wiiware and virtual console games..

The red Wii's play Gamecube games, I'm playing Rogue Squadron III as I type this :P

#9 Posted by NeoDeaf17 (39 posts) -
There are some wii games, I'd love to play with gamepad controller pro. I kinda don't want to use Wii mote all the time. Not sure, if it'll work with Wii U pro controller.
#10 Posted by NeoDeaf17 (39 posts) -

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

[QUOTE="NeoDeaf17"]I think newer wii model the red one is for Canada. I don't think it's coming to US. If it is...then I might as well get it this Friday. I'm getting big paycheck this Friday. After that, Wii U after Pax East or any Nintendo event after March ends.WreckEm711

The red Wii's play Gamecube games, I'm playing Rogue Squadron III as I type this :P

You mean the red wii with Mario game? That one is harder to find. They were sold out quickly as soon they launched. There's new red wii edition for Canada. It's smaller than reg wii.
#11 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

NeoDeaf17

You mean the red wii with Mario game? That one is harder to find. They were sold out quickly as soon they launched. There's new red wii edition for Canada. It's smaller than reg wii.

OH! The Wii-mini? Yeah that one doesn't play Gamecube stuff. Your best bet if you want to find a backwards compatible one is to hit up pawn shops and look for the Wii's that have the flap on top that opens up to reveal the controller and memory card ports :)

#12 Posted by NeoDeaf17 (39 posts) -

Yeah, I wasn't aware that newer Wii models no longer play Gamecube on it. I did some research, it seems Wii bundle with Mario Kart does, white or black model. Also, there's other one, only white bundle with first wii sports. They're starting to running out of stocks. I have no luck to buy it now as I gotta wait for my paycheck until Fri. If they're gone, I might as well wait for Wii U and hope for the best.

#13 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -

Yeah, I wasn't aware that newer Wii models no longer play Gamecube on it. I did some research, it seems Wii bundle with Mario Kart does, white or black model. Also, there's other one, only white bundle with first wii sports. They're starting to running out of stocks. I have no luck to buy it now as I gotta wait for my paycheck until Fri. If they're gone, I might as well wait for Wii U and hope for the best.

NeoDeaf17

Supposedly the Wii U will have GCN games on virtual console eventually... but never know.. Hope it does!

#14 Posted by ArataWata (21 posts) -

The only benefit I can think of getting a WII is that it can play Gamecube games, the newer and in my opinion more ugly models of the WII can't though.

If you're not interested in that kind of thing then you may as well just get a WII U and a normal Wii mote with nunchuck since the console can play both WII and WII U games.

#15 Posted by enrique_marrodz (2092 posts) -
The cheapest would be to get a Wii U and a Gamecube, but be aware that you need to be careful as the laser may require cleaning or even replacement. If you can find a Wii with GC ports that will work too. Another point to consider is that the latest Gamecube models didn't have a composite video output, so you'll be stuck with 480i. In the other hand, all Wiis can do 480p with the proper cable, which is easy to get. There are a lot of GC games using 480p and/or 16:9, so it is a good investment if yo intend to use a proper display to play those games. Regards
#16 Posted by NeoDeaf17 (39 posts) -
Well, what about my other question with Wii games able to play with Wii U Pro controller?
#17 Posted by KBFloYd (13646 posts) -

Well, what about my other question with Wii games able to play with Wii U Pro controller?NeoDeaf17

no,all wii games require a wiimote to play... you can buy a classic controller pro...but it connects to a wiimote to be able to use it... the WiiU pro controller is not compatible with wii games.

if you want to use the wiiU pro controller for virtual console games then you have to wait until spring.... they are just starting to release the compatible versions... you can buy balloon fight right now... its the 1st one available.

#18 Posted by mariokart64fan (19495 posts) -

in my area i see lots of used red wiis and the mario one does play gc games i happen to own one

#19 Posted by Cloud_765 (111391 posts) -
Yeah get an original Wii if you go for the first Wii. The newer ones are incompatible with GameCube stuff which really sucks.
#20 Posted by nini200 (9798 posts) -
Just get a Gamecube and get a WiiU and you'll be fine.
#21 Posted by ryangcnx-2 (1231 posts) -

There are some wii games, I'd love to play with gamepad controller pro. I kinda don't want to use Wii mote all the time. Not sure, if it'll work with Wii U pro controller. NeoDeaf17

You can use the classic pro controller with the wii-u. You attach it to the wii remote just like before, Wii mode on the Wii-U is the entire wii being run on the wii-u. Works flawlessy and been playing Xenoblade on it. Being able to send to my tv through HDMI helps the picture a bit by being a bit sharper and no wierd scan lines that the component cables had.

#22 Posted by Megavideogamer (5407 posts) -

If you intend on getting a Wii. Get the first version not the family version. Since that edition has no Gamecube controller or Memory cards ports. The Wii Family edition and the Wii Mini are stripped down versions.

As for the Wii U go for it Since more games will be coming. Since you are getting a Harddiscdrive for Wii U get the Basic set. And save $50.00 to put toward the 2TB HDD which Wii U supports. The Wii can only do up to a 1TB HDD

If you are really into Nintendo then get both consoles. Keep in mind that The Wii U is backward compatible with the original Wii Games and controllers.

Wii console is cheap right now. $100.00 - $129.99 for brand new. But you want to buy a first edition. Which should be cheaper. EB games/Gamestop should still have them

If you don't really care about the pack in game of Nintendoland or the gamepad stands/cradle a Wii U basic set is $299.99 since you are getting your own external HDD use the $50.00 for a nice, up to 2TB HDD.

If you have the money and time get both. If not a Wii U will do.

#23 Posted by NeoDeaf17 (39 posts) -

Interesting, I'll try to see if I can find some stores, that usually have older stocks of Wii first version. If not, I can still go for gamecube, if I can find some good gamecube games i've been missing them. Like Phantasy Star Online I& II, some Mario games, and Sonic games...if I can't find them. I'll skip GC and go for Wii U. I can't wait for Monster Hunter Ultimate 3!

#24 Posted by trugs26 (5480 posts) -

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

[QUOTE="NeoDeaf17"]I think newer wii model the red one is for Canada. I don't think it's coming to US. If it is...then I might as well get it this Friday. I'm getting big paycheck this Friday. After that, Wii U after Pax East or any Nintendo event after March ends.WreckEm711

Are you talking about the same Wii? They're talking about the Wii "mini", which is red. As seen here: link

As it says in the above article, it doesn't support gamecube games.

#25 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

trugs26

Are you talking about the same Wii? They're talking about the Wii "mini", which is red. As seen here: link

Lol yeah, about 2 posts down from the post you quoted I posted the realization of that :P

#26 Posted by trugs26 (5480 posts) -

[QUOTE="trugs26"]

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

WreckEm711

Lol yeah, about 2 posts down from the post you quoted I posted the realization of that :P

Ah true. Sorry I missed that one :P 

#27 Posted by NeoDeaf17 (39 posts) -
I'll get the Zombi U bundle, it's good deal. It includes the Wii U Pro Controller, Zombi U game, and the downloadable of Nintendo Land. I think it comes out on Feb 27th or 28th. I'm not getting GC or Wii. I've made up my mind about them, and am moving on with Wii U.
#28 Posted by darkmark91 (2868 posts) -

Just get a WiiU and a used Game Cube online. It will be more economical for you wallet. And also if you ever want to transfer things from Wii to WiiU, then it is going to be a pain from what I've heard. Thus, it will be a good idea to have all you Wii stuff on one device to save yourself compatibility issues. 

#29 Posted by Meinhard1 (6769 posts) -
Seems excessive, but I suppose it's worth the money if there are enough gamecube games you want to play.