Should I buy a Gamecube, or BC Wii?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by emgesp (1925 posts) -

I missed out on Gamecube because I was mostly gaming on the PS2 back in the day and now I'm interested in checking out some Gamecube titles and was wondering what would be the better choice in regards to hardware. I have a Wii, but it isn't backwards compatible. So, should I get a backwards compatible Wii, or an original Gamecube?

Thanks

#2 Edited by metal_zombie (2284 posts) -

original is best in most cases but if you find a wii with bc in good condition take it. I really wised that Nintendo had released a powerful console like the gamecube instead of the wii/wii u.

#3 Posted by emgesp (1925 posts) -

original is best in most cases but if you find a wii with bc in good condition take it. I really wised that Nintendo had released a powerful console like the gamecube instead of the wii/wii u.

I'm thinking Wii, since it's much easier to find component cables for the Wii vs the Gamecube.

#4 Edited by metal_zombie (2284 posts) -

@emgesp said:

@metal_zombie said:

I'm thinking Wii, since it's much easier to find component cables for the Wii vs the Gamecube.

It also upscales or something because i remember playing tales of symphonia on the wii and it looked better though i wasn't using 480p on the gamecube. Off topic but how could you miss out on playing on the gamecube it was such a great system back in the day it had so many great games.

#5 Posted by farrell2k (4601 posts) -

If you already have a wii, it makes no sense to buy one again. You can get a used gamecube for $30.

#6 Posted by emgesp (1925 posts) -

If you already have a wii, it makes no sense to buy one again. You can get a used gamecube for $30.

True, but the only component cable you can find for the Gamecube costs like $70.

#7 Posted by darkspineslayer (19015 posts) -

While you already have a Wii, the cost difference from the gamecube would be offset by the component cable anyways. There isn't any difference between them otherwise, unless you were hoping for Gameboy Player compatibility.

#8 Posted by emgesp (1925 posts) -

While you already have a Wii, the cost difference from the gamecube would be offset by the component cable anyways. There isn't any difference between them otherwise, unless you were hoping for Gameboy Player compatibility.

I was just mainly wondering if the Wii had any compatibility issues with some Gamecube games. I can easily find a BC Wii for under $50 and then component cable would be $10 at most, but I want to make sure the Wii can play the majority of Gamecube titles.

#9 Edited by darkspineslayer (19015 posts) -

@emgesp: Your in luck then, I can't think of a single GC title besides the GB player that the Wii can't play.

#10 Posted by emgesp (1925 posts) -

@emgesp: Your in luck then, I can't think of a single GC title besides the GB player that the Wii can't play.

Great Thanks

#11 Posted by nintendoboy16 (25055 posts) -

If you have much interest in both GC and Wii libraries, then a BC Wii is the way to go... UNLESS if you're interested in import games and if you have a leaning interest in JUST that, then get a GameCube with a Freeloader disc.

#12 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (6424 posts) -

The BC Wii is the way to go. The GC composite cables make games look washed out on HDTVs and component cables are outrageously expensive for it(and difficult to find). It would be cheaper and easier to get the BC Wii.

#13 Posted by AllDATanNsum (23 posts) -

How's your Controller situation, that could be a positive or negative, if you were wanting a BC Wii then you already have all the controllers for that system, with a gamecube, which btw takes four GC controllers, and Two Memory Cards, that might put you more out of pocker if you wish to play any for player games such as Mario Kart Double Dash, or Smash Bros. Then you would have to do four controllers. Would that issue be better with a BC Wii or GC , IDK?

#14 Posted by AllDATanNsum (23 posts) -

How's your Controller situation, that could be a positive or negative, if you were wanting a BC Wii then you already have all the controllers for that system, with a gamecube, which btw takes four GC controllers, and Two Memory Cards, that might put you more out of pocker if you wish to play any for player games such as Mario Kart Double Dash, or Smash Bros. Then you would have to do four controllers. Would that issue be better with a BC Wii or GC , IDK?

#15 Posted by schu (9197 posts) -

BC Wii or 480p Gamecube

#16 Edited by Master_Of_Fools (1011 posts) -

If you can find a Gamecube then maybe go with that...Cause unless you can find a Gamecube controller, have fun playing them with the classic controller on the Wii...

#17 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1011 posts) -

@ emgesp

Wii U maybe the "weakest" of the 8th gen. But its not like last gen. Most people fail to realize the Wii U has a heck of a lot more power then they think. Xbox One and PS4 are maybe 1/3 more powerful. If people would look at the dev kits and actually use their damn brain and optimize a game with the Wii U's architecture then they would see the truth.

#18 Posted by Jaysonguy (37113 posts) -

@ emgesp

Wii U maybe the "weakest" of the 8th gen. But its not like last gen. Most people fail to realize the Wii U has a heck of a lot more power then they think. Xbox One and PS4 are maybe 1/3 more powerful. If people would look at the dev kits and actually use their damn brain and optimize a game with the Wii U's architecture then they would see the truth.

lol no

We're already seeing how devs need to scale down Wii U games in drastic ways.

#19 Posted by Heirren (15300 posts) -

Buy a wii, for sure. Gamecube component cables are very expensive today, and if you play on an hd set it makes them almost necessary. The wii also has a handfull of must play titles and access to the wii eshop, etc.

#20 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1011 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: Jason guy, Jason guy, Jason guy. King of Nintendo haters and trolls. I wont waste more then another sentence on you. I as an Indie Developer who has worked with the Wii U Dev Kit instantly cripples your lies.

#21 Posted by Megavideogamer (5180 posts) -

Get a Gamecube. Just to experience the games as they were originally intended. If you look around you can find one for cheap. If you have some retro game stores in your area. Or on-line if all else fails.