Should I be concerned about the Wii U getting dust?

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts

And no I don't mean "collecting dust" as in not being used. My room is generally very dusty. I wipe the dust, and the next day it's there again. I have an air purifier, doesn't really do any good. I don't know why my room is so dusty. But anyway... Can the Wii U get damaged from collecting dust? Maybe when the vent sucks air into the Wii U, it's also sucking in the dust that's in my room? I try to wipe the dust off any time before I play (with a duster, it does the job, at least until the next day), but I'm just worried that the dust could be getting into the vents/crevices and cause damage in some way... I don't know, I'm paranoid. Do any of your Wii U's get dusty, and are you concerned? Share your thoughts with an OCD brotha.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Shouldn't be any problems.

In case of doubts,just use a can of compressed air and try to shot it in

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Shouldn't be any problems.

In case of doubts,just use a can of compressed air and try to shot it in

That would just compress the dust and allow more to be packed in, it would only be worth doing if he removed the casing but that would void the warranty.

I wouldn't worry, the Wii U doesn't generate a whole lot of heat so the temperature increase caused by years of dust build up should be negligible. If it fails due to heat while under warranty let Nintendo take care of it, when the warranty runs out open the Wii U and remove the dust with compressed air.

I've seen some Dell workstations in mechanic shops that had horrifying levels of dust and the machines ran fine for most intents and purposes.

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts

Try covering the wiiu when you're not using it. Other than that try to keep the area of the wiiu as clean as possible. I have cats and their hair hasn't killed any of my systems yet.

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rubber-chicken

@zeroyaoi said:

Try covering the wiiu when you're not using it. Other than that try to keep the area of the wiiu as clean as possible. I have cats and their hair hasn't killed any of my systems yet.

Hmm... do you cover your Wii U to protect it from the cat hair? :P

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i covered my xbox 360...since they said they overheated a lot...i didnt want any dust to get in it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Dust is not something you should be worried about, unless you play in a dust bowl you'll be fine lol. Just dust once a week or so and you're good..

If you want, you could put a vaccum hose up to the console's vents every once in a great while, be careful not to scratch the console though.

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts

@rubber-chicken Yes, actually. :p

Sometimes they sleep on top of it. For that I use a water sprayer.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#9 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

If you live near a main road, your room will get dusty regularly. My uncle had a store right next to a main road going out of town. His store was liquid cooled/heated via the floor, yet it still got really dusty from all the dirt blowing around outside. Not sure if your case is similar.

I wouldn't worry about dust regarding the Wii U. As long as the air ducts aren't matted over, I think you'll be fine. If you start getting concerned, take a can of compressed air and spray it out.

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rubber-chicken

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

If you live near a main road, your room will get dusty regularly. My uncle had a store right next to a main road going out of town. His store was liquid cooled/heated via the floor, yet it still got really dusty from all the dirt blowing around outside. Not sure if your case is similar.

I wouldn't worry about dust regarding the Wii U. As long as the air ducts aren't matted over, I think you'll be fine. If you start getting concerned, take a can of compressed air and spray it out.

Hmm, yeah I do live in front of a kinda main road... How would it cause a dusty room even if my windows are closed though?

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#11 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@rubber-chicken said:

Hmm, yeah I do live in front of a kinda main road... How would it cause a dusty room even if my windows are closed though?

I often wonder that myself. Dirt finds a way.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Run it through the dishwasher, but remember not to use soap, that will destroy the GPU. Once you've removed it from the dishwasher remember to microwave it. This will in fact strengthen the internals of the Wii U by creating a powerful electricity field around each component, nothing will be able to penetrate it. Dust will never be a problem again.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

If u live in a city where there is a major highway close to ur street u will get tons of dust.