Should I be concerned about the Wii U getting dust?

#1 Edited by rubber-chicken (2066 posts) -

And no I don't mean "collecting dust" as in not being used. My room is generally very dusty. I wipe the dust, and the next day it's there again. I have an air purifier, doesn't really do any good. I don't know why my room is so dusty. But anyway... Can the Wii U get damaged from collecting dust? Maybe when the vent sucks air into the Wii U, it's also sucking in the dust that's in my room? I try to wipe the dust off any time before I play (with a duster, it does the job, at least until the next day), but I'm just worried that the dust could be getting into the vents/crevices and cause damage in some way... I don't know, I'm paranoid. Do any of your Wii U's get dusty, and are you concerned? Share your thoughts with an OCD brotha.

#2 Edited by MonsieurX (29220 posts) -

Shouldn't be any problems.

In case of doubts,just use a can of compressed air and try to shot it in

#3 Posted by achilles614 (4846 posts) -

Shouldn't be any problems.

In case of doubts,just use a can of compressed air and try to shot it in

That would just compress the dust and allow more to be packed in, it would only be worth doing if he removed the casing but that would void the warranty.

I wouldn't worry, the Wii U doesn't generate a whole lot of heat so the temperature increase caused by years of dust build up should be negligible. If it fails due to heat while under warranty let Nintendo take care of it, when the warranty runs out open the Wii U and remove the dust with compressed air.

I've seen some Dell workstations in mechanic shops that had horrifying levels of dust and the machines ran fine for most intents and purposes.

#4 Posted by zeroyaoi (1876 posts) -

Try covering the wiiu when you're not using it. Other than that try to keep the area of the wiiu as clean as possible. I have cats and their hair hasn't killed any of my systems yet.

#5 Posted by rubber-chicken (2066 posts) -

@zeroyaoi said:

Try covering the wiiu when you're not using it. Other than that try to keep the area of the wiiu as clean as possible. I have cats and their hair hasn't killed any of my systems yet.

Hmm... do you cover your Wii U to protect it from the cat hair? :P

#6 Posted by KBFloYd (12927 posts) -

i covered my xbox 360...since they said they overheated a lot...i didnt want any dust to get in it.

#7 Edited by Chozofication (2721 posts) -

Dust is not something you should be worried about, unless you play in a dust bowl you'll be fine lol. Just dust once a week or so and you're good..

If you want, you could put a vaccum hose up to the console's vents every once in a great while, be careful not to scratch the console though.

#8 Edited by zeroyaoi (1876 posts) -

@rubber-chicken Yes, actually. :p

Sometimes they sleep on top of it. For that I use a water sprayer.

#9 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7075 posts) -

If you live near a main road, your room will get dusty regularly. My uncle had a store right next to a main road going out of town. His store was liquid cooled/heated via the floor, yet it still got really dusty from all the dirt blowing around outside. Not sure if your case is similar.

I wouldn't worry about dust regarding the Wii U. As long as the air ducts aren't matted over, I think you'll be fine. If you start getting concerned, take a can of compressed air and spray it out.

#10 Posted by rubber-chicken (2066 posts) -

If you live near a main road, your room will get dusty regularly. My uncle had a store right next to a main road going out of town. His store was liquid cooled/heated via the floor, yet it still got really dusty from all the dirt blowing around outside. Not sure if your case is similar.

I wouldn't worry about dust regarding the Wii U. As long as the air ducts aren't matted over, I think you'll be fine. If you start getting concerned, take a can of compressed air and spray it out.

Hmm, yeah I do live in front of a kinda main road... How would it cause a dusty room even if my windows are closed though?

#11 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7075 posts) -

Hmm, yeah I do live in front of a kinda main road... How would it cause a dusty room even if my windows are closed though?

I often wonder that myself. Dirt finds a way.

#13 Edited by juboner (360 posts) -

If u live in a city where there is a major highway close to ur street u will get tons of dust.