Should a mature gamer buy a 3ds?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gaijingamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 gaijingamer7
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I'm 25 years old, a big fan of the squaresoft FF era and seeing the reviews of bravely default I'm tempted to buy a 3ds. Is there anyone else out there over 21 who has one?

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

If you feel the need to label yourself as "mature" then maybe you should reconsider your priorities.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Lol this guy

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

can't call yourself a mature gamer if you're questioning yourself. Mature gamers play what they want regardless of what it is

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

@gaijingamer7: everyone has their own will to buy or not to buy,so don't push yourself too hard. it doesn't matter if a "mature" would be able to afford a 3DS(or better XL) at least they are accompanied with it

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#6 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I'm 25 and I own a 3ds, and imo I think it is my favorite game system out right now. I don't really care what anyone else thinks of that, I enjoy the kinds of games available for it and that's what makes me happy. My girlfriend is older than me and also owns a 3ds, and seems to enjoy it quite a bit. By contrast, we own a PS4 and we played it for the first few weeks we owned it, but haven't touched it in like a month and a half.

Like everyone else is saying here, you shouldn't really have to question what other people would think of you if you like a certain kind of game. You're gonna get judged by people in life for pretty much everything, and at the end of the day, you'll learn to come home and relax and play whatever you feel like playing, and not judge yourself for that yet.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

You're not very mature if you are asking this question. :p

gaijingamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gaijingamer7

@Ovirew: Thanks for the positive input. As for the trolls on here, don't presume I'm embarrassed about owning one, I'm not. My question is do other adults find that there is a large enough library of entertaining and challenging games that can also appeal to adults. If, yes what are some games you'd recommend apart from the obvious Mario or Zelda titles?

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

@gaijingamer7 said:

As for the trolls on here, don't presume I'm embarrassed about owning one, I'm not. My question is do other adults find that there is a large enough library of entertaining and challenging games that can also appeal to adults. If, yes what are some games you'd recommend apart from the obvious Mario or Zelda titles?

all I can think of when it comes to a non-Mario/Zelda is a Brain Age,there will be one just a few days to go

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#10 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

The 3DS has plenty of "mature" games, e.g. Zero Escape, Shin Megami Tensei, Bravely Default, Fire Emblem, Resident Evil, etc.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

yes.

19James89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 19James89
Member since 2013 • 30 Posts

The beauty of the 3DS is that it can be enjoyed by every age group, it doesn't discriminate and there is something for everyone on the 3DS. If you like the look of Bravely Default and you feel that purchasing the game and a 3DS family console is worth the investment, then I'd say go for it, buy it and enjoy what is an amazing handheld console.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Mature Gamer ? Isn't that an Oxymoron ?

thisBlueTurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thisBlueTurd

Yeah.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#15 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

You should get a 3DS if you love great games.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

a mature gamer..with an immature question...hmmm

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I'm 25.

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

#DoTheGundy

Come after me! I'm a man, I'm fourty!

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

People are really going overboard. OP mentions Bravely Default right in the first post and yall act like he's complaining about no DoD/GTA/etc on the 3DS.

Here are some games I'd suggest(including ports since I don't know what consoles you have)

Code of Princess (short and shallow but fun enough for a decent price)
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Etrian Odyssey IV/Untold
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Metal Gear Solid 3
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Resident Evil Revelations
Rune Factory 4
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
Shinobi
Star Fox 64 3D
Tales of the Abyss

And Super Mario 3D Land is awesome, sure you've heard of it but I highly recommend it.
I have Shin Megami Tensei IV to play but haven't tried it out yet.

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#20 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts

@gaijingamer7: Buy it, enjoy it!

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

At 25, aren't we over worrying about what's considered mature?

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts

Fire Emblem is a pretty good game for mature audiences as it requires a good degree of strategy, especially at higher difficulties. Project X Zone also has a bit of strategy involved as well. Pure chess (based on the ultimate mature game itself), should be coming out later this year for the 3DS as well.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#23 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@Eikichi-Onizuka: You really should play Shin Megami Tensei IV. It's awesome, although I got the Neutral ending path and it got really annoying near the end. But past that part everything else is great. I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did, but collecting the demons and customizing your main character is butt tons of fun, as is wiping the floor with a boss when you uncover their weakness.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

yes, im 24, own a 3ds, and ill be gaming til im dead

your question should be "are there any good games on 3ds beside bravely default" and the answer is yes

this isnt the kinda esoteric question that needs to be asked here, google "best 3ds" and boom

gargungulunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#25 gargungulunk
Member since 2011 • 736 Posts

All "maturity" aside...the 3DS has options.

I'm...older than 20's...and have found the 2 entries to Shin Megami Tensei to be worth buying the system for.

I've also pre-ordered Bravely Default; and sunk over 100-hours into Rune Factory 4... I could go on, yet what do I care.

The 3DS is justifiable+

gba1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 1

#26 gba1989
Member since 2009 • 189 Posts

Can't wait for Bravely Default also. We're about the same age.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

Lol. That's not a very mature question, is it? Anyway, I'm 25 and I've been thinking that the 3DS currently have so many great games right now, that having a 3DS and a 3DS only (no console) wouldn't be bad. I've got about 10 games (not counting VC games), and there's a crapload more that I have to get. No idea how I will find the time to play them, but seriously dude. If you like games and don't own a 3DS, you're doing it wrong.

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

I am 25 yrs. old, and I have greatly enjoyed my 3DS. There are games for all ages, and it has the best library of any current gen system. As far as being mature, that is subjective. I still have a lot of living to do, IMO.

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

gaming is entertainment, no different than movies, music, whatever only it's interactive on multiple levels. I worked with a guy, a bit younger than me... he was married no kids and he couldn't believe I played video games or even had the nerve to mention them lol. To me it's no different than any other form of entertainment where you are bored enough to waste your time and money on it. It is sad that the level of or lack thereof of story writing/dialogue in video gaming seems to be nonexistent or dying. Gaming has more potential than is being presented to the public.

Gaming is like ice-cream, you aren't immature for eating ice-cream but you may be irresponsible by eating it if you're diabetic or suffer gallstones lol. I think a lot of people view spending money on a gaming budget to be irresponsible.

gaijingamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gaijingamer7

Thanks for the positive input fellas. Another question I have (which may be worth another thread) is would you recommend buying zelda: link between worlds or zelda: occarina of time? I have only played a bit of both.

Many thanks again.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@gaijingamer7 said:

Thanks for the positive input fellas. Another question I have (which may be worth another thread) is would you recommend buying zelda: link between worlds or zelda: occarina of time? I have only played a bit of both.

Many thanks again.

if you enjoy playing retro games then go for ocarina....if you are the kind of gamers that thinks old games arent as fun as new games then link between worlds is better for you.

both are amazing.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

@gaijingamer7 said:

Many thanks again.

If you never played Ocarina of Time before. You HAVE to buy it. Its considered by many as the best game ever created. If you played it on the N64 years ago, buy LBW.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

I'm 29. Bought an XL last year and I like it a lot. After having it for a while, I am disappointed in how low res the screens are, but the games available on it are really good. Especially for me since I never had a DS so I'm able to play all those for the first time too.

One piece of advice, skip the games that work with the Circle Pad Pro unless you are planning on buying that attachment. Metal Gear Solid 3D and Kid Icarus were the only ones I have and they feel absolutely terrible to try to play with just the one thumbstick.

gaijingamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gaijingamer7

@guynamedbilly: So do you need that bulky attachment to play MGS3D and Kid Icarus?

@TrappedInABox91: Do you think ocarina has aged well? Has the touches nintendo added to the 3ds edition been enough to still give it ATG status?

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

@gaijingamer7: The game didnt age as well as people who are filled with nostalgia would have you believe. Unless you played it much back on the N64 you're not going to get a ton out of it and would be better served with a newer Zelda title that builds on what OOT started.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

@gaijingamer7: You don't have to have the attachment, but trying to play without it is frustrating because the controls are so bad.

gba1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 1

#37 gba1989
Member since 2009 • 189 Posts

@guynamedbilly: you just have to get used to it

WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

You're 25 and you make a thread concerning about maturity over a 3DS?

You're immature.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

@gaijingamer7 said:

I'm 25 years old, a big fan of the squaresoft FF era and seeing the reviews of bravely default I'm tempted to buy a 3ds. Is there anyone else out there over 21 who has one?

Im 32 and have every system out there. I am also a huge old school rpg fan ans SS games started it for me on SNES. I just downloaded BD on eshop and will play it once I finish zelda. Dont be ashamed to buy a system just because you are of a certain age!

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#40 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Why not? There are 3DS games to play.

Kalakaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Kalakaka
Member since 2004 • 31 Posts

I'm 52 and I have a 3ds xl. I love old school jrpgs.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#42  Edited By Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts

@Celsius765 said:

can't call yourself a mature gamer if you're questioning yourself. Mature gamers play what they want regardless of what it is

This.

This thread is over. Everyone please file out and go home.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Facepalm. Age as nothing to do with anything. I am 23 I have had a 3DS since it launched. If you care about "Mature" then news flash lol, you are NOT mature.

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#44 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts

I'm 23 and I play my 3DS all the time. There are great games for all ages on it.

gaijingamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By gaijingamer7

@Master_Of_Fools: *two handed face palm.* Try reading before trolling, you might learn something.

As I have posted already, I don't care about the image, I'm concerned about the maturity/difficulty of the games themselves.

Believe it or not there are immature games on nintendos handhelds that are not aimed at adults that I would rather avoid. Eg. Sesame Street: Elmo's musical monsterpiece.

_HazBro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 _HazBro_
Member since 2014 • 125 Posts

I'm 23 and I love my 3DS. It's funny because at work quite a few people have one and bring it regularly so I get my StreetPass tags that way.

In terms of "mature" titles I guess you and I view them differently. I don't necessarily look at games as being suited for a particular age group anymore. Rather, I just play what I want. The 3DS has a lot of titles that can easily be enjoyed by both young and older audiences. Most of Nintendo's core games work that way already -- Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Mario Kart 7, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, etc. Then on the other hand you have titles that are probably better suited for older players -- Fire Emblem: Awakening, Bravely Default, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, etc.

I'd say a more accurate description of the 3DS' software library is that it has a wide variety of games for people with varying tastes, that it's hard to find absolutely nothing you'd like, regardless of age.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

The 3DS has a whole lot of great games. Bravely Default looks great. I would also highly recommend Fire Emblem Awakening. It was the first Fire Emblem game that I played and now I just can't get enough of the series. If you like Fire Emblem, give Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars a go. It isn't nearly as deep as Fire Emblem, but the gameplay is similar, and it is very fun.

drufeous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 drufeous
Member since 2004 • 2535 Posts

I'm 30 and just got a 3ds for Zelda and Mario 3D World. No regrets and who give a shit? Quit being a pansy and get it.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I'm 26 (soon 27) and love it.

Weisghol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Weisghol

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

People are really going overboard. OP mentions Bravely Default right in the first post and yall act like he's complaining about no DoD/GTA/etc on the 3DS.

Here are some games I'd suggest(including ports since I don't know what consoles you have)

Code of Princess (short and shallow but fun enough for a decent price)

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Etrian Odyssey IV/Untold

Metal Gear Solid 3

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Resident Evil Revelations

Rune Factory 4

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked

Shinobi

Star Fox 64 3D

Tales of the Abyss

And Super Mario 3D Land is awesome, sure you've heard of it but I highly recommend it.

I have Shin Megami Tensei IV to play but haven't tried it out yet.

@Eikichi-Onizuka: Took most of the words right out of my mouth. Way too many negative, pointless replies to a simple question not meant to demean anyone. Hell, even the gaming industry has a FOR MATURE AUDIENCE rating, so wtf guys? Id definitely suggest that whole list, and highlight:

Etrian Odyssey IV ( which took me completely by surprise, just how much fun it was draw those dungeon maps )

Monster Hunter 3

Shin Megami Tensei IV

Crimson Shroud

and most definitely Bravely Default, which is currently residing in my top games list period.

The 3ds has a lot of content that older and younger minds can totally enjoy! And im 32!

Uh...I think?