Security Breech (USB WiFi)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts

I'm not familiar with exactly how the USB WiFi connector works, but I thought that people can only connect to it from a pretty small distance. Is there some simple explanation as to why or how there is a Chinese or Japanese person connected to my USB connector?

I left my connector on pretty much all day yesterday and this person connected at some point. I'm not sure whether I should deny permission for them to connect or not. They just connected again about 10 minutes ago.

EDIT - The image might shrink to become pretty blurry. To see full sized, go here
Cesar_Barba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Cesar_Barba
Member since 2003 • 3665 Posts
Another reason to install support for Asian languages, that way you'd see better (or us) as to who is connected. It's true that it allows for a certain distance for connections, however, this person might just be your next door neighbor or someone with a good antenna.
If you do not want to disallow access, then I suggest you install a good firewall on your computer and double check on your settings. Your choice as to let other people connect. Personally where I live I even have 'free wi-fi' on my routers SSID, but I always make sure I check my security.
The DS allows for people to use Japanese characters to name it, some of the visible characters are Katakana which are only used for the Japanese language.
Willdyer10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Willdyer10
Member since 2005 • 1832 Posts
Hm, if i was you I would Deny him.
inertia3112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 inertia3112
Member since 2006 • 69 Posts
mine does too, i dont think its a security breach,just a little bug. no-one is connecting to your pc, its just wii-connect 24, it updates about every four minutes.
gooflee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gooflee
Member since 2005 • 652 Posts
It looks like somebody was using bad character data, because there a blocks amongst the chinese characters.  You would see all blocks if it were all chinese and you didn't have the asian character support installed.  Playing on DS Wifi, some people use Japanese for their names because it is unique and allows them to show off.  Just because somebody is writting in Chinese in the US, it doesn't mean they are Chinese.