Reggie Fils-Aime: Wii U Has A Very Long Life Ahead Of It.

#1 Posted by PikachuDude860 (248 posts) -

http://www.gengame.net/2014/06/reggie-fils-aime-wii-u-has-a-very-long-life-ahead-of-it/

Totilo: The company has lost money lately, which is unusual in its long history, and if you look at 3DS it started sluggishly, there was a dramatic price cut and that helped turn that business around. If someone comes to you and says, ‘Reggie, just refresh, just start over, do a new console, do-over,’ You say?

Fils-Aime: I say, ‘No.’ And the reason I say that is because we believe the Wii U has a very long life ahead of it. It’s got great content coming that will help define the platform. For us, we think the 3DS is a very illustrative example. It wasn’t just the price cut. It was having great content that started with Kart 7 and 3D Land and then progressed and created a larger and larger footprint.

Do you think the Wii U will turn around soon, like the 3DS?

We'll have to wait and see. Why wouldn't it though?

Yes, it doesn't have 3rd party support. That needs to change. However, it's *currently* still selling regardless. 3rd party games won't make the Wii U fly off of shelves. 1st party games will.

This is a bold prediction, but I think by the time Smash Bros. comes out (And has time to sell) The Wii U will be at 10 to 15 million console sold. That's a rather bold prediction indeed. I believe Mario Kart 8 has legs. It will help sell consoles for the rest of the year. (To some extent.) Plus we have Captain Toad, Bayonetta 1 and 2, Hyrule Warriors, Devil's Third and a few more Nintendo Directs.

I see no reason for the Wii U NOT to be at, at least 11 million consoles sold by the end of the year.

#2 Edited by PikachuDude860 (248 posts) -

I'd also like to add that if Nintendo actually does buys Capcom, well....BOOOOSH!

#3 Posted by superbuuman (2511 posts) -

Dang! means its gonna get canned soon 2016. :P

#4 Edited by PikachuDude860 (248 posts) -
#5 Posted by GeekInkINC (101 posts) -

Nintendo is old school. They got this.

#6 Posted by superbuuman (2511 posts) -
#7 Edited by bunchanumbers (183 posts) -

Nintendo won't pull the plug on the Wii U until 2017 or even 2018. The first Wii was front heavy so by the end of its cycle it lost all momentum. It being the most hacked console in history didn't help either. But this time it started slow and is building to a bigger deal. I do think it has a long life ahead of it filled with tons of great exclusives, innovative indies and the return of 3rd party developers. I wouldn't be surprised if by the end developers are still trying to make Wii U games when Nintendo themselves have moved onto their next big project.

#8 Edited by MirkoS77 (6834 posts) -

@pikachudude860 said:

This is a bold prediction, but I think by the time Smash Bros. comes out (And has time to sell) The Wii U will be at 10 to 15 million console sold. That's a rather bold prediction indeed. I believe Mario Kart 8 has legs. It will help sell consoles for the rest of the year. (To some extent.) Plus we have Captain Toad, Bayonetta 1 and 2, Hyrule Warriors, Devil's Third and a few more Nintendo Directs.

You're right, that's a very bold prediction. I don't know what the U's exact numbers are at currently after the huge boost that Kart has given it, but last month it stood at 6.17 million sold with Nintendo themselves predicting to sell 3.16 million more, not six months from now, but nine when their FY ends in March of '15. And rest assured, they are taking into account all of the games you mention. If Nintendo predicts they're not going to hit 10 big ones by March of next year, well......let's just say I don't hold much confidence for much better when that's a prediction stemming from a company that said they'd have hit 9 million by now not too long ago.

10 I think is possible, but 15 is simply a pipe-dream.

#9 Posted by yokofox33 (28885 posts) -

My standard response to anything Reggie says: My body is ready.

#10 Posted by Videodogg (12548 posts) -

Anything is possible. It's up to Nintendo to make it or break it.

#11 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (6838 posts) -

@pikachudude860: I hope it turns around. I want Wii U to have a long life with tons of great games. Time will tell if Nintendo pulls another 3DS.

On the subject of Capcom, the more I think about it, the more I favor the idea of Nintendo just buying some of their IPs. The reason being that those acquisitions would be cheaper than buying the whole company and Nintendo wouldn't have to deal with micromanaging all the teams they would inherit. It would be wiser for Nintendo to buy the worthwhile Capcom IPs, such as Monster Hunter, Megaman, and Resident Evil, and building their own teams(possibly some former Capcom employees) for those projects.

#12 Posted by fishpockets (115 posts) -

This just means they'll ride out the storm until their next console.

Even with the games announced at E3 I don't think they'll make a significant dent in the market, unless they drop the price, which they're not willing to do right now.

#13 Posted by Grieverr (2539 posts) -

As far as sales, there are two more games announced that'll boost Wii U sales - Smash Bros and Zelda. Hopefully the big devs start testing the waters again by putting another game on the Wii U soon.

I do think the Wii U has a lot of life left. Besides what's already been announced, we still have Star Fox to expect, and most likely Metroid, hopefully for 2015.

#14 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

Sounds like Reggie actually understands so of the companys issues. Too bad at the end of the day there is nothing he can actually do to make those fixes happen.

#15 Posted by Meinhard1 (6740 posts) -

Nintendo has a lot of talented devs and great IP to work with and currently their in a place where they need to get creative. I'm sure we'll see some great products from them this gen as they continue to support the Wii U.

With the Gamecube they basically made whatever they wanted (Mario with a squirt gun? Cartoon Zelda? Why not?) ... and the inherent popularity of console videogames, as well as their portable success pulled them through just fine.

In the Wii era they had two systems that were basically selling themselves.

Over the next few years Nintendo is going to have to learn how to really leverage their IP, and create software that appeals to todays audiences enough to sell Wii Us. While great games like 3D World and Pikmin 3 haven't done wonders for the Wii U, every game Nintendo release is essentially an new product to marked / chance to pitch the system to consumers.

Ultimately I think the Wii U will be a good chance for Nintendo to learn and grow as a company

#16 Edited by PikachuDude860 (248 posts) -

@MirkoS77: You're right, that's a very bold prediction. I don't know what the U's exact numbers are at currently after the huge boost that Kart has given it, but last month it stood at 6.17 million sold with Nintendo themselves predicting to sell 3.16 million more, not six months from now, but nine when their FY ends in March of '15. And rest assured, they are taking into account all of the games you mention. If Nintendo predicts they're not going to hit 10 big ones by March of next year, well......let's just say I don't hold much confidence for much better when that's a prediction stemming from a company that said they'd have hit 9 million by now not too long ago.

10 I think is possible, but 15 is simply a pipe-dream.

Yeah...Maybe 15 is being a little to optimistic. I'd say 10 or 11. Provided they make a system bundle and market it properly for Christmas/Black Friday. It would also be a good idea to for them to make a new color for Wii U. (Silver?) A price drop for the holidays wouldn't be bad either.

According to VG Chartz, Wii U global sales are currently at 6.34 million. (As of June 7th) If they sell 3.16 million more, they'd be at a little over 9 million.

Nintendo doesn't think the Wii U will sell over 3.16 million, but just because they don't expect it to, doesn't mean it won't. They were wrong about it selling 9 million by now, right? Sometimes things can...fall behind, or surpass your expectations.

I think the holiday season is when systems normally sell the best. We currently have about 6 exclusives coming out between September and December. I can almost guarantee that we'll see some more Nintendo Directs and whatnot, which could reveal more games coming out this year.

As I said, as long as they market it, and maybe make a bundle or two, (And maybe that new color) I think the Wii U could be at 10 million. (More or less) Not sure whether any of you agree or not, but that's just my two cents. =P.

EDIT. I forgot about Amiibo. Those will probably sell a ton this Christmas.

#17 Posted by PikachuDude860 (248 posts) -

@YearoftheSnake5: Hmm. That's a good idea. That way they'd save a lot of money.

But the question is, which IPs would they buy, and how many?

#18 Posted by Raptor_Herc (153 posts) -

If that statement is sincere, then maybe Nintendo will continue to support the console until at least 2017, giving the Wii U the 5-6 years of support it normally gives to its home consoles. Nonetheless, I won't be surprised if Nintendo releases a new console in 2016.

#19 Posted by Chozofication (2680 posts) -

We'll see. 6 years would be pretty damn long considering sales, but it's clear it'll last 5 anyway. If they can keep the software coming for that long, i'm all for 6 years.

And on the other hand they need all the time they can get to prepare the next console to get it right.

#20 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (6838 posts) -

Hmm. That's a good idea. That way they'd save a lot of money.

But the question is, which IPs would they buy, and how many?

I think Nintendo would benefit the most from purchasing:

• Megaman
  • Okami
  • Resident Evil
  • Monster Hunter, and
  • Street Fighter

These franchises would compensate for Nintendo's lack of appeal toward certain audiences(RE, MH, SF) or play to the company's strengths(Okami, Megaman). What do you think they should go for?

#21 Edited by mariomguy (10 posts) -

Nintendo will always do what they can to make great games. Remember, they also get paid from owning Pokemon and the handheld market. As far as consoles go, I'd imagine sales will pick up steadily over time as more and more great games get released. Splatoon, Zelda, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Starfox, and of course Smash Bros. can all help to turn the console around. I don't really care that much for Amiibo, but it should sell toys.

#22 Edited by PikachuDude860 (248 posts) -

@YearoftheSnake5: I think Nintendo would benefit the most from purchasing:

• Megaman
  • Okami
  • Resident Evil
  • Monster Hunter, and
  • Street Fighter

These franchises would compensate for Nintendo's lack of appeal toward certain audiences(RE, MH, SF) or play to the company's strengths(Okami, Megaman). What do you think they should go for?

All of those, plus DMC and Ace Attorney. Ace Attorney has been on DS since day one. They should buy that too.

I also think they should buy older titles that Capcom probably won't use anymore, like Darkstalkers, Ghost n Goblins and maybe Lost Planet or Breath of Fire.

#23 Posted by dirtymangle (34 posts) -

I think the Wii U is turning around right now as we speak, and I dont think Nintendo will abonden it no matter what happens. that would hurt their company image.