Question: is Shin Mega Tensie the right game for me??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4220 Posts

For someone who

1) Doesn't understand Japanese culture very well

2) Is not into Rpg games at all, but did enjoy Shin Mega Tensei: Strange journey.

3) Extremely prone to not play RPG games.

I've been hearing many good things aboout SMT IV, but I'm still thinking of not getting it because of these reasons.

Should I get it though? They are having a sale on this game for thanksgiving weekend.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Do you like Pokemon?

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4220 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Do you like Pokemon?

The answer is a clear no.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

I love the SMT and Persona games. I don't think you should play them if you are questioning them after you said you enjoyed Strange Journey.

Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sora278
Member since 2009 • 1496 Posts

I never got this bewilderment people have over other cultures but you will not be confused, wellllll other than the world map. If you liked Strange Journey maybe try Etrian Odyssey games, they play similarly and made by the same company. But the biggest differences between 4 and Strange Journey would be in 4 it uses third person camera and works like a city structure instead of the sectors in SJ.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

@Sora278 said:

But the biggest differences between 4 and Strange Journey would be in 4 it uses third person camera and works like a city structure instead of the sectors in SJ.

This. If you enjoyed Strange Journey, then you may enjoy SMT4, but I still find it kind off odd that you enjoyed a SMT game with those reasons. SMT games are known for being very Japanese and strictly turned-based JRPGs.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Usually, I'd say a person who doesn't like RPGs should steer clear of any Shin Megami Tensei game, but if you liked Strange Journey, I'd say that Shin Megami Tensei IV is absolutely the right game for you.

gargungulunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By gargungulunk
Member since 2011 • 736 Posts

@outworld222:

Strange Journey is what got me into SMT as a whole...like a, flat out love affair.

I'm not prone to 1st-person RPG's, yet SMT is a solid 20+year old series that I somehow had missed out on.

...and I'm currently holding off on SMT-IV's end-game, savoring it while playing a few other games.

There are game-play differences, yet the story still tackles straight-up moral concepts, while dancing in the grey areas.

The story in SMT-IV doesn't fully unfold until a bit into the game, yet it's layered and intriguing (and has a notable soundtrack and detailed art-style). The story is more of a heaven vs. hell approach...and the transitions/choices involved; while ST is more tailored around a reflected 7-sins. Either way, it's worth checking out...I've put about 60 hours into it....though my 3DS tells me around 80 hours...meaning, I've spent about 20 hours dieing...but you learn a weakness every time...usually.

There are a lot of return demons, as well as new ones to get to know...one could delve into a further comparison, but if the game is on sale,

just get it & report for samurai training.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#9  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

If you enjoyed other games in the series why not? Also, appreciating other cultures shouldn't affect your enjoyment... The profiles for demons are not in your face at all; you could very easily go through the entire game and not know the bio of a single monster.

Although how you enjoyed an SMT game when you don't like RPGs is beyond me. It's one of the most RPG RPGs out there.

Let's put it this way... SMTIV is my first SMT game, I love Pokemon and other JRPGs, and I'm thoroughly enjoying SMTIV at the moment. It requires strategy more than anything; Just the other day, I beat a level 75 demon.... While my highest level guy is 25. It rewards smarts over muscle, brain over brawn (although you use your brain to effectively use your brawn).

Like I said, if you enjoyed another game in the series, you may as well play IV... I haven't played other games in the series but from what I understand, it's one of the best ones outside the Persona games.

gargungulunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#10 gargungulunk
Member since 2011 • 736 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:
...It requires strategy more than anything; Just the other day, I beat a level 75 demon.... While my highest level guy is 25. It rewards...

That's awesome, yet I'm now reminded of the first 2 main bosses...Minotaur and Medusa (the only 2 demons from any "regular" mythology, actually) maybe I was stunned by how awesome the Minotaur was designed, but that was a terribly hard battle.

I'd just like the point out that the game really opens up after you get a few demons under your belt.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@gargungulunk: Yeah Minotaur took me a few tries, but I did overcome him after reworking my strategy a bit. Medusa took me two tries, I think, she wasn't terribly hard... I think she acted maybe once and then she missed, so I swept her pretty easily when I finally did beat her.

Yeah I'm around 15 hours in and well into the overworld, so it's pretty open right now. It's a great game.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#12  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

Although how you enjoyed an SMT game when you don't like RPGs is beyond me. It's one of the most RPG RPGs out there.

I think that's really weird as well.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@GreySeal9: The miracle of IV is that it takes what's annoying about old school JRPGs and mostly eliminates them, while retaining what was good about them. It feels modern despite the fact that the game is essentially using decades old gameplay. Other JRPGs have used this to great effect, too.