Pro Evolution Soccer 2008, I Love You, Thank You Wii

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Once again the Wii has introduced a game that can ONLY be played on it's hardware and makes fans out of games people might not normally buy.

I picked up Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (known also as PES) and it's AMAZING!

The while idea that you control the players with the pointer let's you have the most control I've ever had in a sports game. The controls are pretty simple because you click and drag players where you want to go. When you want to pass the ball just point to the player and press the B button, if you want to lead them on the break (I have no idea what soccer terms are) then just drag it a little ahead of the player and they'll get the ball while running.

Scoring is simple, just give the Chuck a little flick and kicks away!

You would think with the drag controls the experience would be dumbed down but man I'm doing some amazing moves and give and goes and just breaking the ankles of the defensive players with my skillz.

You can also use the thumbstick to control the players but that's not as much fun and feels like it cuts down your control of the overall team.

You can make your own team and rename and reorder players and even use your Mii's in games (soon I will have Richard Simmons, Pam Dawber, George Michael, and Iron Man on one team)

I'm doing Champions Road mode and the two players they gave me so far are Mustafa and Fung A Wing, I mean how awesome is that?????

With spot on controls, amazing depth, and online features up the wazoo (you can even store your team in your Wiimote) this is an amazing deal for 39.99. Or less if they listened to raahsnavj's thread.

What are everyone else's experiences with the game?

M3tro1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 M3tro1d
Member since 2008 • 223 Posts
Sounds great...I might have to get this, one question does it have online play?
bball_freak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 bball_freak_2
Member since 2006 • 1609 Posts
if it has online ill at least rent it
bball_freak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 bball_freak_2
Member since 2006 • 1609 Posts
yeah i just check, it does have online matches, dont know the specifics but
yeahyeahbigN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 yeahyeahbigN
Member since 2007 • 1345 Posts
yes there is an online option.
GameOverKayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GameOverKayo
Member since 2007 • 471 Posts
I guess you're an American that doesn't have a big experience from football games to say that PES 08 is that good. The Wii version unlike the other multiplat versions, has no editing mode. You cannot edit the players look or transfer players between teams (it's the old transfers from summer transfer window). One other thing that is bad done is the defending part which will be a problem when playing against a professional player since your defend reacts slower than they are supposed to. Also shooting is random which is very bad for us PES veterans since that was one of the most important parts of the game.
Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts

If your team name is Hiroshima, then wouldn't you be the one getting blown up? Anyway, I'm not into soccer or "football" as it were but yeah this game does look great. The Wii does it again, turns games you thought you might never be interested in and makes them great.remblade

Extremely unecessary comment and uncalled for. Seriously...

But the game sounds great. You're getting me interested in the game, Jaysonguy.

lolag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lolag
Member since 2004 • 2370 Posts
You convinced to go get Excite Truck a go and i loved it. Now you convinced to go get PES.
primitive013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 primitive013
Member since 2003 • 1422 Posts
I got it on Wed. Anybody up for an online match? Let me know and I'll send you my FC.
M3tro1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 M3tro1d
I've just read the IGN review, the controls sound really good, and online play is in :) might pick this up. Will wait for a few more reviews.
remblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 remblade
Member since 2003 • 537 Posts

[QUOTE="remblade"]If your team name is Hiroshima, then wouldn't you be the one getting blown up? Anyway, I'm not into soccer or "football" as it were but yeah this game does look great. The Wii does it again, turns games you thought you might never be interested in and makes them great.Dark_Link142

Extremely unecessary comment and uncalled for. Seriously...

But the game sounds great. You're getting me interested in the game, Jaysonguy.

I was just making an observation of jaysonguys quote. Never meant to offend.

IronManRhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 IronManRhino
Member since 2005 • 2135 Posts
Never played a serious soccer game, but I will give this a shot, but it'll be a few weeks as I'm broke.
bluej33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#14 bluej33
Member since 2007 • 687 Posts

Wow...sounds pretty awesome. I've heard nothing but good things about this title, and since it is only forty bucks, I think I might pick it up soon. I dunno if it has online or not, but I've got to find out. If it does, I think this may just become a must-have title >.>

Edit: I scrolled down a bit from the OP (no wai!), and found it does in fact have online. Okay...I'm off to North Carolina soon, there's a Wal-Mart in my grandmother's town so I'll bring some cash and pick up Park Patrol and PES, hopefully. Sounds like a really fun game!

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jaysonguy

Sounds great...I might have to get this, one question does it have online play?M3tro1d

It has two kinds of online play

1. Regular online play where you're playing at the same time

2. Your team gets downloaded to other Wii's and people can play against your team without you being there

peterom11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 peterom11
Member since 2007 • 397 Posts
I've had every Pro Evo and ISS so far and I'm definetely picking this up. Is the lag bad like the other ones in online play?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jaysonguy

I've had every Pro Evo and ISS so far and I'm definetely picking this up. Is the lag bad like the other ones in online play?peterom11

Haven't played anyone online so I can't say

Hopefully another lucky user with the game has tried online?

M3tro1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 M3tro1d
I'll pick this up when it's released here in the UK on the 28th, I'm sure there will be plenty of people online once it hits Europe. Haven't bought a Pro evo game in a long time, but this one sounds like a lot of fun
presto7640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 presto7640
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts

Yes, the game is absolutely fantastic. There's no way I'll ever be able to go back to lesser titles (FIFA). The game does have its frustrations, but I can't really fault them for it because they're frustrations you would actually encounter if you were really coaching a soccer game. They are frustrations inherent in the sport, not in the game...and it just makes me realize how much more realistic this game is.

And the Champion's Road mode (or whatever it's called) is a blast!

My only issue with the game is that I wish it kept more detailed stats for your players. You pretty much only get to see goals and assists, but that ends up being a pretty minor problem.

I haven't tried online yet, I'm hoping it actually connects to people...unlike some other games...

pmay007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pmay007
Member since 2007 • 119 Posts
i've only once played a pro evo game and that was the PS3 version of this, but i like the look of this because im not that impressed with the fifa control sceem so i probably will give this a go.
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
The idea to combine real-time strategy controls and sport controls was a stroke of genius.
primitive013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 primitive013
Member since 2003 • 1422 Posts

[QUOTE="peterom11"]I've had every Pro Evo and ISS so far and I'm definetely picking this up. Is the lag bad like the other ones in online play?Jaysonguy

Haven't played anyone online so I can't say

Hopefully another lucky user with the game has tried online?

I haven't been able to connect to an anonymous match yet. Anyone wanna trade friend codes?

crankypinoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 crankypinoy
Member since 2007 • 170 Posts

sounds like a great game i think ill pick it up soon

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts
Is there a local versus mode?
Jazunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jazunn
Member since 2007 • 666 Posts
Has it been released in Canada yet? I swung by Wal-Mart but I didn't see it.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

Won't be getting it. I don't like the sport at all and could never get into the Fifa games. I'm not a big sports gamer anyway. But it's nice to see another good game get released on the system.

Out of curiosity, does the online use friend codes?

TAKE_IT_BACK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TAKE_IT_BACK
Member since 2008 • 3850 Posts
my friend has FIFA and he says its the worst wii game he owns. PES looks better, i'll probably pick this up.
Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

User Lists: 1

#29 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts
I like what I read, I'll buy it!
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

Has it been released in Canada yet? I swung by Wal-Mart but I didn't see it.Jazunn

Eww, Wal-Mart.

Yeah, it's out. I got it today actually. It was at a few places, EBGames, HMV, Best Buy. Just shop around a little and you'll find it. Oh, and pick up Bully while you're at it.

Jazunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jazunn
Member since 2007 • 666 Posts

[QUOTE="Jazunn"]Has it been released in Canada yet? I swung by Wal-Mart but I didn't see it.bob_newman

Eww, Wal-Mart.

Yeah, it's out. I got it today actually. It was at a few places, EBGames, HMV, Best Buy. Just shop around a little and you'll find it. Oh, and pick up Bully while you're at it.

The day EB, HMV & Bestbuy also sells bread, baby wipes & kitty litter. I'll swing by there first. :lol:

I will look into it next week, thank you for the info. :)

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bob_newman
[QUOTE="bob_newman"]

[QUOTE="Jazunn"]Has it been released in Canada yet? I swung by Wal-Mart but I didn't see it.Jazunn

Eww, Wal-Mart.

The day EB, HMV & Bestbuy also sells bread, baby wipes & kitty litter. I'll swing by there first. :lol:

I will look into it next week, thank you for the info. :)

Well if it makes any difference, EBGames' employees are giant, walking diapers.

Granted, those ones are already filled with something...

toddH_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 toddH_basic
Member since 2002 • 469 Posts

Sounds like a good game, and a fun way to use the Wii's controls for some football. One question though: Does is have real teams on it?

.... for instance Arsenal?

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

I agree. It's amazing.

But I gotta be honest... the game flopped to me a little. Why? Because of the defensive controls. I mean come on half of the time you're on defense so they can't be ignored. All you do is send the defensive on the guy and hope for the best. Relying on luck is bad... unless I'm missing on a few controls. I will play some more.

But still the game is in my top 5 Wii games list.

1wog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 1wog1
Member since 2007 • 166 Posts
Sounds sweet
1wog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 1wog1

Won't be getting it. I don't like the sport at all and could never get into the Fifa games. I'm not a big sports gamer anyway. But it's nice to see another good game get released on the system.

Rocky32189
Sorry to be off-topic, i created a Wii gamertag from the site you did, but how do you post it on gamespot after you finish it. Ive tried but i just seem i cant doesnt let me plz plz tell me cheers ;)
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bob_newman
[QUOTE="Rocky32189"]

1wog1

Sorry to be off-topic, i created a Wii gamertag from the site you did, but how do you post it on gamespot after you finish it. Ive tried but i just seem i cant doesnt let me plz plz tell me cheers ;)

I can see yours right now. The main picture is Link, then there are a few games (Galaxy, TP, MP3, etc), and then it finishes off with a picture of the cast of Smash Bros. Oh, and it says your name, "now playing", and all that fun stuff.

1wog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 1wog1
[QUOTE="1wog1"][QUOTE="Rocky32189"]

bob_newman

I can see yours right now. The main picture is Link, then there are a few games (Galaxy, TP, MP3, etc), and then it finishes off with a picture of the cast of Smash Bros. Oh, and it says your name, "now playing", and all that fun stuff.

Yeah but mine is not linked, up the page theres some that are linked i want mine linked so they can view my homepage;) tell me how plz
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bob_newman
[QUOTE="bob_newman"][QUOTE="1wog1"][QUOTE="Rocky32189"]

1wog1

Yeah but mine is not linked, up the page theres some that are linked i want mine linked so they can view my homepage;) tell me how plz

Oh, ok. I gotcha.

Well, it seems that you've got it currently sending me to a 404 url, so maybe you didn't type in your preferred url properly. Try typing in "http://www.google.com" (without the quotes) and see if it sends you there, just to be sure that it's working for you. Then, if that's not the problem, just carefully type in your url of choice and see if that works.

Oh, by the way, you have to do this in "prefs" (at the top-right of your screen), then click on "Forums", then highlight your picture, right-click the picture, choose "Insert/edit link", and carefully type in the url.

MarioMellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MarioMellow
Member since 2007 • 156 Posts

I've ordered it from gamestop so it'll be here soon.

Question about the online play...

Can two people play on one Wii online?
Or is it like everything else ONE PLAYER PER Wii.
Excluding Smash Bros that is...

And this maybe stupid question...
But with the new control scheme is still is multiplayer right?

Thanks!

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bob_newman

Thanks!

MarioMellow

I haven't tried out multiplayer yet (my GF is out of town, and when I tried online it said there was nobody to play. That made me sad. At least you can add friend codes, like mine or Jason's), but the box says 2 players. I think it's just 1 a side for the Wii version, I'm not positive though so don't quote me on it or anything.

frosty_shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 frosty_shark
Member since 2007 • 278 Posts
man i cant wait for this game im almost peeing my pants!!!!!!!! im in the uk so cant get it till the 28th! i think the online will pick up when it is released over here as football (soccer) is big over here!!!!!
frosty_shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 frosty_shark
Member since 2007 • 278 Posts

One other thing that is bad done is the defending part which will be a problem when playing against a professional player since your defend reacts slower than they are supposed to. GameOverKayo

where im from attack is the best for of defence!!!!

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#44 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts

Once again the Wii has introduced a game that can ONLY be played on it's hardware and makes fans out of games people might not normally buy.

I picked up Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (known also as PES) and it's AMAZING!

The while idea that you control the players with the pointer let's you have the most control I've ever had in a sports game. The controls are pretty simple because you click and drag players where you want to go. When you want to pass the ball just point to the player and press the B button, if you want to lead them on the break (I have no idea what soccer terms are) then just drag it a little ahead of the player and they'll get the ball while running.

Scoring is simple, just give the Chuck a little flick and kicks away!

You would think with the drag controls the experience would be dumbed down but man I'm doing some amazing moves and give and goes and just breaking the ankles of the defensive players with my skillz.

You can also use the thumbstick to control the players but that's not as much fun and feels like it cuts down your control of the overall team.

You can make your own team and rename and reorder players and even use your Mii's in games (soon I will have Richard Simmons, Pam Dawber, George Michael, and Iron Man on one team)

I'm doing Champions Road mode and the two players they gave me so far are Mustafa and Fung A Wing, I mean how awesome is that?????

With spot on controls, amazing depth, and online features up the wazoo (you can even store your team in your Wiimote) this is an amazing deal for 39.99. Or less if they listened to raahsnavj's thread.

What are everyone else's experiences with the game?

Jaysonguy

Thanks for posting this

It comes out in the UK on the 28th and I have been looking to get it and even though It has had some amazing reviews I just wanted to be confirmed its great by another gamer and you have just done this :)

MarioMellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MarioMellow
Member since 2007 • 156 Posts
[QUOTE="MarioMellow"]

Thanks!

bob_newman

I haven't tried out multiplayer yet (my GF is out of town, and when I tried online it said there was nobody to play. That made me sad. At least you can add friend codes, like mine or Jason's), but the box says 2 players. I think it's just 1 a side for the Wii version, I'm not positive though so don't quote me on it or anything.

The box only says 2? Damn. Bummer.

I doubt it supports the 2 on same Wii and online feature.

presto7640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 presto7640
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts

I agree. It's amazing.

But I gotta be honest... the game flopped to me a little. Why? Because of the defensive controls. I mean come on half of the time you're on defense so they can't be ignored. All you do is send the defensive on the guy and hope for the best. Relying on luck is bad... unless I'm missing on a few controls. I will play some more.

But still the game is in my top 5 Wii games list.

m_machine024

On the champion's road, the matches get harder as you go along, and I've found that on defense I can't just mark the man with the ball anymore. I need to mark him and the forward players he could potentially pass to, then worry about making intercepts and the possible slide tackle. I wasn't huge on the defense at first either, but after a few games, I see a bit more of the strategy in it too.

Alaarajab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#47 Alaarajab
Member since 2008 • 129 Posts
Im getting that game too i hear its sweet. I like soccer alot and i have fifa 08 so ill be getting pro evolution soon.
zdude313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 zdude313
Member since 2003 • 34 Posts
Just picked this game up and I love it. My only complaint is that the English Premiere League does not have actual team names. Not a big deal but does take away from the game a little bit.