Predicting 9th Gen Nintendo Console

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Honestly, after reading Nintendo's meeting. All I can say is I'm very exciting for Nintendo's new direction. Basically Iwata has told investors and other gaming outlets to f**k off and will still make Nintendo hardware for another generation. Yes, there were dumb rumors of the Nintendo Fusion concept, but somehow it could be true. Not on technical specs, but in their new philosophy.

What strikes me in Iwata's meeting is pushing the Nintendo Network ID to more of a unify system. Here are some quotes:

On Wii U, we launched Nintendo Network IDs, which are abbreviated as NNIDs. This is the first step of our efforts to transform customer relationship management from device-based to account-based, namely, consumer-based, through which we aim to establish long-term relationships with individual consumers, unaffected by the lifespans of our systems.

Our future platform will connect with our consumers based on accounts, not devices.

Of course, when we do launch new hardware in the future, rather than re-creating an installed base from scratch as we did in the past, we wish to build on our existing connections with our consumers through NNIDs and continue to maintain them

-- Saturo Iwata

What does this mean? I think it means that in this Gen, Nintendo will make a full unified account base system that will allow us buy VC games on our 3DS and also play them on the Wii U. It will also have us transfer our games to the next generation of consoles without the games being tied to the hardware!

As for Nintendo making Mario for Smartphones,

However, if you report that we will release Mario on smart devices, it would be a completely misleading statement.

--Saturo Iwata

That's Iwata stating that the media is full of crap!

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Nintendo should release a console that is absurdly powerful, far exceeding that of both the PS4 and Xbox One, and it should be fully backwards compatible with every Wii U game. They should then brag to the world via advertising how puny Sony and Microsoft's consoles are next to the Nintendo PowerRhombus (or whatever they end up calling it).

They should also ensure that developers have easy tools to make sure every major multiplatform game finds its way to the Nintendo MegaSphere (or whatever they end up calling it), as well. They should also make sure to have at least two major 1st party games ready and rolling at launch and a Pokemon or Monster Hunter launch game.

Finally, the Nintendo Wii Pwn (or whatever they end up calling it) should also have VC going all the way back to the original NES for each stationary console Nintendo has ever released (Wii to NES). Give users so much to do at launch that the cost of the device is a no-brainer. It should also have a number of non-game-specific features that make it a multi-function media streamer as well as something more applicable to a wide range, the killer non-gamer feature --

Health and fitness monitoring. Nintendo should create a bracelet, ring, or pedometer type device that follows and monitors the fitness levels of those who use them. The information would be stored on the device until the user enters the same network upon which the Nintendo UberPyramid (or whatever they end up calling it) where the information is synced automatically and displayed for the user to see.

Gaming + Health and Fitness Tracking + Media Streaming (+Pokemon Launch Title) = Big Win

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Someone actually thinks that Iwata destroying Nintendo is a good thing?

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

If I'm gonna make a prediction, all I have to say is if Nintendo is once again planning to release a system one year ahead of Microsoft and Sony, they better do it right this time. By right, I mean make it noticeably more powerful than Xone and PS4 (Give devs something truly cutting edge that will REALLY get their attention) WHILE providing an unique gameplay experience. Bring back some of their old IP (If they don't get a new entry in Wii U's lifetime) titles like F-Zero and Star Fox. Also, even if it means delaying the console passed the holiday, make sure a proper number of quality titles from multiple genres gets released along side it (Hopefully, Nintendo is willing to give devs an opportunity to provide them last minute advice for what can improve the development experience with Wii-something, like adding a bit more ram or slightly increasing processing power). Oh, and make sure it get's marketed correctly this time. If they are gonna name it Wii-something, make sure that something is a name that really makes people think its Nintendo transitioning into their next gen and not another iteration of Wii (Although I hope they drop the Wii name brand altogether)...

That's what I hope. However, with Iwata still the man at the top, Nintendo will most likely continue its current path. Releasing another underpowered console with another controller that affects the way you play games. Its not a terrible idea, but won't be winning many devs and consumers hearts over to Nintendo side...

Mordant221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 Mordant221
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

@musicalmac: By then, the PS4 and Xbox One would've been around for years so the greatest sales pitch in the world wouldn't help the next Wii beat them. Then when the PS5 and Xbox w/e come out, the Wii next will once again be outdated. Isn't the first time that's happened in our favorite industry

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

it should be backward compatible with wii u games.

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

Unified accounts that allow stuff to go over to the next console?! No way, its almost like Microsoft and Sony already did that -_- Except a gen sooner. Why would people get excited about them simply catching up (at which point they'll be behind again because the next thing to catch up to will have already happened)

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@ttualumni13 said:

Unified accounts that allow stuff to go over to the next console?! No way, its almost like Microsoft and Sony already did that -_- Except a gen sooner. Why would people get excited about them simply catching up (at which point they'll be behind again because the next thing to catch up to will have already happened)

Because Nintendo's history is more popular than Modern Nintendo

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@ttualumni13 said:

Exactly

Nintendo is the least popular out of the three right now, giving them something that the others have already had for ages wont cause any sort of interest.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

I have some crazy ideas of what could be in the next Nintendo Console, but the crazy ideas wont happen lol. Basicly what I really expect to happen is an increase in power and memory size, obviously. The memory increase going from what the Wii U sports, 2 gigs, to atleast 12 gigs. If that doesnt happen I just hope it matches what the PS4 and Xbox One have, 8 gigs.

I believe that they will continue to make use of the Wii U gamepad concept, expect update it so that the shoulder buttons are anolog rather than digital, and touch screen is upped to 1080p, better battery life, and sports a usb port to allow us to capture video from the gamepad.

Everything else, such a unified accounts, instant messaging system not bound to Miiverse, the ability to voice chat with your friends in game, and a better OS are obvious things that the next console should have right from the start.

But one thing that it should diffidently have and keep, is backwards compatibility with Wii U and even Wii.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I wonder what you guys would have to say now since this article, and also especially that one.

It sounds like that is exactly the main point Nintendo is focused on right now, finding a unified platform for their next console.

But I don't think we can really take much from either article yet since it's really too soon to tell what any of it means for sure. Mostly because Nintendo isn't even sure what they will be pursuing just yet. But still, it sounds like a big focus of theirs is this common platform.

I had a thought when I was commenting on that article earlier. I wonder if the next Nintendo console will be a console with a handheld, and they'll call it the "Brother"? That would be somewhat clever, I guess.

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TransformerRobo
Member since 2011 • 549 Posts

I would've brought up this article, but that's already been taken care of here.

Personally I'm a little worried it might not work, but when you think about it sounds like it would work out very well.

Maybe they should call it something like the Nintendo Joint (unless people mistake it for pot), the Nintendo Nest (catchy), or the Nintendo Galaxy (would be beneficial if Mario Galaxy 3 or 4 is launched with the console).